Skyrim tilde key and space bar not working

these keys work on and in everything else except skyrim....

this happened after i installed skyrim SE. any advice would be appreciated. 

ps i tried going to skyrim LE in steam and setting the launch options to +console and still no luck. 

I also tried using shift and tab to fix it in game and nooo luck.

1 hour ago, Grey Cloud said:

Is Skyrim still using your default language? Different languages use different keyboard layouts so therefore different keys open the console etc.

i mean yeah my skyrim is still in english. 

all my keys work on the special edition just not my legendary. but yeah LE is in english

37 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Okay. So what exactly do you mean by the tilde key and the space bar are 'not working'?

those keys just dont function in skyrim le. like my tilde key wont bring up my console commands for example. i cant even go to setting and map other buttons to those keys

14 minutes ago, TheDragonBorn said:

those keys just dont function in skyrim le. like my tilde key wont bring up my console commands for example. i cant even go to setting and map other buttons to those keys

I'm on UK English and the key to open the console is this: ` which is the key to the left of the 1 key. The tilde key on my Dell keyboard is way over to the right tucked into the Return key. The space bar is jump.

Have you tried working your way through all the keys to see if any will open the console?

16 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

I'm on UK English and the key to open the console is this: ` which is the key to the left of the 1 key. The tilde key on my Dell keyboard is way over to the right tucked into the Return key. The space bar is jump.

Have you tried working your way through all the keys to see if any will open the console?

yeah my tilde key is in the same spot as yours. it has always worked until i installed skyrim special edition. i have a feeling it has something to do with that. im hoping i dont have to uninstall SE because i literally just spent hours and hours modding it. i started a week ago, and i dont even know if uninstalling it will fix my LE

but no i havent pressed every key on my keyboard. ` this always worked to open my console. i do play with an xbox one controller but my keyboard for many years, since 2013 to be exact, has worked just fine along side my controller

1 hour ago, TheDragonBorn said:

but no i havent pressed every key on my keyboard.

Why not?

I may be wrong here but I seem to recall a post some time back from someone who had installed both LE and SE and keys(?) not working. The solution was to do something to both LE and SE - ini files(?). Something to do with the controller(?)

I also seem to recall the problem was a known one and the solution was on the web. So either try searching this site (?) or the web.

Perhaps this setting?

Ok guys i fixed my Skyrim without any help. Here's my solution for those who have installed both Skyrim SE and Skyrim.

-Go to Documents/Skyrim Special Edition/SkyrimPrefs and then change bGamepadEnable=1 to 0, and add this new line below bKeyboardEnable=1.

-Do the same in Documents/Skyrim/SkyrimPrefs

-Now the most important thing! First launch Skyrim SE, it will load these new edits and "uncorrupt" Skyrim files. Next just close Skyrim SE and launch normal Skyrim, your keyboard should work properly in both games! I hope it does, this worked for me.

EDIT: I did it in both files because it didn't worked when i changed only Skyrim/SkyrimPrefs or Skyrim Special Edition/SkyrimPrefs

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/84350-keyboard-not-working/

1 hour ago, Just Don't said:

Perhaps this setting?

Ok guys i fixed my Skyrim without any help. Here's my solution for those who have installed both Skyrim SE and Skyrim.

-Go to Documents/Skyrim Special Edition/SkyrimPrefs and then change bGamepadEnable=1 to 0, and add this new line below bKeyboardEnable=1.

-Now the most important thing! First launch Skyrim SE, it will load these new edits and "uncorrupt" Skyrim files. Next just close Skyrim SE and launch normal Skyrim, your keyboard should work properly in both games! I hope it does, this worked for me.

EDIT: I did it in both files because it didn't worked when i changed only Skyrim/SkyrimPrefs or Skyrim Special Edition/SkyrimPrefs

That was the one. ?

7 hours ago, Just Don't said:

Perhaps this setting?

thank you sooooo much that solved it!!! i left bgamepadenable=1 as is and just added bkeyboardenable=1 because i do use a controller but you saved the day with that info. i have seen this issue on the web but could not find a solution, thank you for solving this!!!