Keyboard not working

I've googled around and haven't found a solution that works for me. For some reason Skyrim won't take any inputs from my keyboard. I can still alt-Tab, Alt-f4 and shift-tab to bring up the steam overlay. I also have bGamepadEnable=0 set in the ini.
I tried unplugging my controllers, restarting windows, restarting steam, etc.

I had a similar issue in Morrowind and Oblivion, but I was able to fix it by just adding bBackground Keyboard=1 in the .ini. But Skyrim doesn't have anything like that, and putting it into the .ini didn't work.

So I'm stumped, my keyboard works for the Special Edition, but I'd rather use the normal edition because of all the mods for it.
Any other ideas?

Ok guys i fixed my Skyrim without any help. Here's my solution for those who have installed both Skyrim SE and Skyrim.

-Go to Documents/Skyrim Special Edition/SkyrimPrefs and then change bGamepadEnable=1 to 0, and add this new line below bKeyboardEnable=1.

-Do the same in Documents/Skyrim/SkyrimPrefs

-Now the most important thing! First launch Skyrim SE, it will load these new edits and "uncorrupt" Skyrim files. Next just close Skyrim SE and launch normal Skyrim, your keyboard should work properly in both games! I hope it does, this worked for me.

EDIT: I did it in both files because it didn't worked when i changed only Skyrim/SkyrimPrefs or Skyrim Special Edition/SkyrimPrefs

This is quote from steam forum maybe this can help you.

Ok guys i fixed my Skyrim without any help. Here's my solution for those who have installed both Skyrim SE and Skyrim.

-Go to Documents/Skyrim Special Edition/SkyrimPrefs and then change bGamepadEnable=1 to 0, and add this new line below bKeyboardEnable=1.

-Now the most important thing! First launch Skyrim SE, it will load these new edits and "uncorrupt" Skyrim files. Next just close Skyrim SE and launch normal Skyrim, your keyboard should work properly in both games! I hope it does, this worked for me.

EDIT: I did it in both files because it didn't worked when i changed only Skyrim/SkyrimPrefs or Skyrim Special Edition/SkyrimPrefs

That worked perfectly, thanks so much.

That worked perfectly, thanks so much.

Glad to help :)

• 3 years later...
On 9/6/2017 at 4:05 AM, XAlexRavenX said:

Hide contents

lol you just save me from reinstaling skyrim again!! thanks 

• 1 year later...

Just want to add that I tried the ini settings in both games but it didn't work. What worked for me was restarting Steam. Might be something related to Steam Controller settings going wacky when running both games one after another. No need to touch those Steam controller options anyway, just restarting Steam will do.