[Dev thread] further development of Namira's Goat

So. I've been thinking this last few days what and mostly how to do things...

My conclusion is that I'll basically need to rebuild the mod.

The scripts needs rewrite to be expanded upon, and the old esp structure is too bizarre and any change is very time consuming.

All existing models in OG NSG I will be using but a fraction of them.

...so this is what I came up with.

Now I'll be moving on from it. 

I'll refrain from talking daydreams now. But I'm excited. Quite a lot.

Spoiler

actually no Im gonna say it. I could recycle assets (armor addon) and make modular outfits.

now I'll need to find out how those unused body slots could be used before I do anything..... but I already know I could learn all I need from TAWOBA

I also can piece multiple assets into one single slot. So long as I deal with possible seams, I could make the body model modular..ish, up to a point.

Still, my original dream was using script to swap armor-addon... that dream ended quickly.

Still, if possible I'll try using as less bodyslot as I can. not getting my full-modular dream will mean more armor records in esp but they shouldnt take up space so long as I reuse meshes...

nope I change my mind again I'll use all the available slots.

My greatest enemy would be... devious devices ? those things are nasty.

----

news.

fml, spent whole night altering skin texture shaders till sun rise then found out reason none if it worked was because there are script lags for PO3 scripts, fuck me... (but tbh it's totally my fault, I added lots of debug scripts including spawning a new leveled actor for testing, no shit it lags....)

know what ? fuck it i'll call the same function three times just to be extra safe.

at least now everything works as planned, i weighted the models in the correct way, they behave as intended.

next step huh... 

Currently I tested on skeleton skin (which is an armor alright)

I'll try to make them more modular. lets hope the skeleton death-crumble behavior extends to his other armor too, I guess they should, but you never know...

but wait what happens if I spawn a npc from a race that has an empty race armor model ?

hmmm i guess he still exist.

cuz now I have a skeleton with only a pair of hand, and collision still works...

Edited by lk74

a small status update.

I finally established contact with the OG chinese mod team (hmmm it sounds like I was making first contact with alien...)

anyway...

for the following days (maximum 3 days) I will make them a SE port of their working version, and fix as much bug as possible.

don't worry, their working version mostly just add flavour texts to limb parts (these flavor texts I can assure you I'm incapable of translating them.... so you guys are not missing anything major.

after this (i mean their SE port), I will continue my work of rewriting all scripts in the SE version.

they (chinese team) also intend to move on to SE and so I wont be splitting my workload between the two.

Nothing and no one is gonna stop me from compacting formIDs  :)

Interestingly, they mentionned a few bugs in the mod that I wasnt aware of.

The most important one (in my eyes at least) was that this mod creates a lot of save bloat.

I know it could, but I ignored it prior to this day, because I had no idea how to fix it...

Now that someone told me it's bad I'll try to find the source of the problem and try to fix it... or at least, offer a way to circumvent the problem.

and I will also mention here a few features that they (chinese team) intend to implement.

but since these are not bugs they will be placed at the tail end of my todo list.

Spoiler

- allow dragonborn to cut herself (assuming female player), get unique bodypart

- allow specific follower/npc integration for unique bodyparts

- make a stats for how much player has eat or cut, and give magical buffs according to this stat

this one has actually a higher priority since I was working on a progression system too, so the progression system I built might get some changes...

- allow npc to 'volunteer' for butcher

anyway, back to testing...

let's hope the save bloat was caused by object references... cuz if its not then I'll have to disable all bodypart drops and see if this fixes things....

will add follow-up once I get results later today.

hmmm...

sadly there is no precise way for me to mesure the save bloat, I'm already running a heavy modded game and ... yeah.

what I could and will do is clean up my script and add feature to disable item drops in case that's problematic.

----

that SE port mentioned above is done.

if there's no bug reports then work will resume tomorrow.

And as I was inspecting the OG code I finally realized how the original code tried to implement beheading...

so...basically...

og author had a knife with scripts monitoring every heavy attack with that knife, and for some reason he slowed down weapon attack animation....

then, every attack will call for a animation event forcing a beheading execution animation....

anyway I think this is how it worked, one part I wasnt sure about was the identity of actor and target for these spells.

This might be useful down the line ? 

Now my mind is occupied by how do I implement a procedural cutting ....

probably need to look into how Namira's Ring triggered that eating script, then put it into a specific object, then look into SKYUI...

I think I should look into quest scripts for procedural cutting... I do not have a grasp on quest scripts yet.

there's more to explore here. huh....

Edited by lk74
On 8/10/2021 at 3:35 PM, lk74 said:

a small status update.

I finally established contact with the OG chinese mod team (hmmm it sounds like I was making first contact with alien...)

anyway...

for the following days (maximum 3 days) I will make them a SE port of their working version, and fix as much bug as possible.

don't worry, their working version mostly just add flavour texts to limb parts (these flavor texts I can assure you I'm incapable of translating them.... so you guys are not missing anything major.

after this (i mean their SE port), I will continue my work of rewriting all scripts in the SE version.

they (chinese team) also intend to move on to SE and so I wont be splitting my workload between the two.

Nothing and no one is gonna stop me from compacting formIDs  :)

Interestingly, they mentionned a few bugs in the mod that I wasnt aware of.

The most important one (in my eyes at least) was that this mod creates a lot of save bloat.

I know it could, but I ignored it prior to this day, because I had no idea how to fix it...

Now that someone told me it's bad I'll try to find the source of the problem and try to fix it... or at least, offer a way to circumvent the problem.

and I will also mention here a few features that they (chinese team) intend to implement.

but since these are not bugs they will be placed at the tail end of my todo list.

Hide contents

- allow dragonborn to cut herself (assuming female player), get unique bodypart

- allow specific follower/npc integration for unique bodyparts

- make a stats for how much player has eat or cut, and give magical buffs according to this stat

this one has actually a higher priority since I was working on a progression system too, so the progression system I built might get some changes...

- allow npc to 'volunteer' for butcher

anyway, back to testing...

let's hope the save bloat was caused by object references... cuz if its not then I'll have to disable all bodypart drops and see if this fixes things....

will add follow-up once I get results later today.

hmmm...

sadly there is no precise way for me to mesure the save bloat, I'm already running a heavy modded game and ... yeah.

what I could and will do is clean up my script and add feature to disable item drops in case that's problematic.

----

that SE port mentioned above is done.

if there's no bug reports then work will resume tomorrow.

And as I was inspecting the OG code I finally realized how the original code tried to implement beheading...

so...basically...

og author had a knife with scripts monitoring every heavy attack with that knife, and for some reason he slowed down weapon attack animation....

then, every attack will call for a animation event forcing a beheading execution animation....

anyway I think this is how it worked, one part I wasnt sure about was the identity of actor and target for these spells.

This might be useful down the line ? 

Now my mind is occupied by how do I implement a procedural cutting ....

probably need to look into how Namira's Ring triggered that eating script, then put it into a specific object, then look into SKYUI...

I think I should look into quest scripts for procedural cutting... I do not have a grasp on quest scripts yet.

there's more to explore here. huh....

Interesting - but they had no plans to make males harvestable too? and they never intended to attach the knives to the namira quest line Its a huge tie in that adds alot more depth tot he mod than just mindless gore.   Im glad to hear you have attatched it though.  Im guessing you can do a better translation job as well, which is awesome... 

On 8/11/2021 at 6:32 PM, Sillius_Maximus said:

Interesting - but they had no plans to make males harvestable too? and they never intended to attach the knives to the namira quest line Its a huge tie in that adds alot more depth tot he mod than just mindless gore.   Im glad to hear you have attatched it though.  Im guessing you can do a better translation job as well, which is awesome... 

Unfortunately there's no mention of males.

I will refrain from judging why this is the case... but what I could say is they probably only have one people working on lore and in-game text, but no script, no 3D artist... the old crew probably moved on from the mod.

They didn't mind sticking with the original idea... that is, having a kid (with TKAA npc records) sell you the knife.

My guess would be they have other priorities, and no one is working atm ...... but I don't want to get myself into that mess at all. 

I think I should have the quest part done by now, but I only tested it once and it was a while ago.

After the initial testing, I made a toggle in MCM to skip the whole quest and get me the knife (lazy me)

And having a quest is kinda advantageous ?

I could distribute things and run scripts at certain quest stage, this the merchant selling knife could not achieve (or it could... selling item that run scripts on inventorychange... but I hate this method)

As for the translation, I don't know really. 

I kinda want to just remove all those limb parts.

My idea is that, before, you cut someone and they drop premade limb parts (as food, can be picked up). but these have fixed skin color.

Now (what I'm currently working on) you cut someone, they drop limb parts, these parts will conform to target skin, but since they are clutter they cannot be picked up. And then, I could add racial meat into target inventory, and simplify all recipes to just use racial meat.

.... but  I guess people also want the feeling of 'eating a bodypart' instead of 'eating generic meat'

guess in the end I'll just make these functions, then make a toggle in MCM and let ppl pick what they want.... 

-------------

Status update Aug 14

By now I've rearranged all OG models file structures.

Next step is rewriting knife script. 

By now I know enough of how this all works. I also changed the way of interaction.

I intend to let player be able to interact with corpse similar to how they could interact/feed with Namira's Ring.

This part is already nailed.

Now player equip the special knife, draw the weapon, then the special interaction prompt would appear on eligible corpses.

I intend to keep 2 ways of interaction :

- 1, player interact with corpse, then in a menu choose which cut player would like to see, then apply changes. 

- 2, player use knife to attack corpse, then corpse would get immediately cutted with setting pulled from a previously saved configuration.

(might not be limited to the knife... I'm also thinking adding unarmed strikes or claw attacks... but seeing how many weapons there are, I might need to ... hmmm... make a list of eligible weapons and let player register ? after all, in the current implementation the detection/cutting script dont need to be attached to a specific object at all.)

I was stuck at how I could communicate data between scripts. A days later I found out how.

Now I'm stuck at making UI.

Might take me a day or two.

When UI is done, next will be managing quest scripts and internal data storage. then external json storage for mod configurations.

Then it's... ugh, back to modeling I guess. After all, modeling is the real bulk of the work... 

----

Ok, ListMenu seems a bad idea... but its too late. Im already in it and I dont want to use messagebox.

But then I realize I dont really need ListMenu....

Edited by lk74

Ik74... I have been using Namira's Goat for quite some time, I just use the Fat Knife as neither of the other two knives work for me, using the old Mod anyway, I have just downloaded your updated version. I love this Mod, I play a Werewolf who lives on Humanoid Meat and Namira's Goat has been the only Mod I have found that meets his needs perfectly, aka: numerous body parts and simple harvesting method. I RP him as a born Werewolf, more wolf than man and as an apex predator and warrior he thrives on challenge in procuring his food. I have loved that he can harvest his food from Game start, RPing him as I wish. So may I ask please, that you consider keeping the Knives available in your MCM, so that players like myself do not need to do the 'A Taste Of Death' Quest to be able to continue to use Namira's Goat? Thank you Ik74 for working on this Mod :) ...I continue to follow :)

26 minutes ago, InsolentTedium said:

Ik74... I have been using Namira's Goat for quite some time, I just use the Fat Knife as neither of the other two knives work for me, using the old Mod anyway, I have just downloaded your updated version. I love this Mod, I play a Werewolf who lives on Humanoid Meat and Namira's Goat has been the only Mod I have found that meets his needs perfectly, aka: numerous body parts and simple harvesting method. I RP him as a born Werewolf, more wolf than man and as an apex predator and warrior he thrives on challenge in procuring his food. I have loved that he can harvest his food from Game start, RPing him as I wish. So may I ask please, that you consider keeping the Knives available in your MCM, so that players like myself do not need to do the 'A Taste Of Death' Quest to be able to continue to use Namira's Goat? Thank you Ik74 for working on this Mod :) ...I continue to follow :)

Don't worry, in the next version release there will ALSO be a button in MCM menu to skip quest and get to the point

A small status update.

By now the whole system is getting reworks.

Most importantly, the system was changed from OG's activemagiceffect-based system to a quest alias based system. special thanks for CorruptGenie's Harvesting Human, BakaFactory's FHU, and Nether's Follower Framework.

More script, less esp edit.

More formlist, less esp edit.

But for players its another story !

Now, instead of having to use THE KNIFE, the system has been changed to this:

- you need to obtain modded perks in order to gain access to NG's features.

- these perks can be obtained by : progressing Taste of Death till Verelus is sacrificed

or use MCM to get everything immediately.

(Im also thinking to add a quest trigger, allowing player to get these perks as soon as they met eola in Hall of the Dead...)

- having these perks + equipping and drawing an eligible weapon will trigger NG's features (either direct attack like before, or interact with target to display a more detailed UI).

- Any weapon can be added into this list (I was running test with an iron dagger :) )  I will add a button in MCM to make it really easy

in the end SKYUI LIB is enough for my need. shouldnt have bothered with UIEXTENSION's listmenu at all.

now I just need to make a ton of body models to make use of the new system... :(

tbh I'm no artist, I cant draw a straight line. no way I could imagine and craft new models, especially since they are empty..

I just cant thank Pickle_Juice enough for his amazing modder's resource. somehow he put a skeleton inside uunp and have it taking a feminine structure...wow. 

and he also packed some internal organs resource. wow.

...they might not serve much down the line, but at least with a more 'concrete' visual I can have more ideas...

Spoiler

I am aware that putting this much stuff in the body model is BAD (especially ones player dont have the chance to notice at all AND I do not have the talent to use them in a satisfying manner.....)

...but I cant stop myself :(

god I wasted 6 hours on this...

anyway, time for sleep.

also go check out idynaloak's Prolapsed Uterus.

amazing. breathtaking.

I can always use some more hentai.

-------------

Status update 16 Aug

I'll put the 'progress' in spoiler territory

Spoiler

but what ??

they're just naked arent they?

....except they are not.

they are actually equipping a whole suite of armor pieces (flagged as sos_revealing)

this is the reason why the tattoo on the orc lady seems off... But I think this is acceptable.... for now at least.

NO I WONT ACCEPT A BODY THAT CANNOT HOLD A PELVIS LEWD TATTOO 

but I wont be rushing into production just yet.

I'll spend the following days (at least 2 days) to make sure I used the right bodyslot.

earlier I used slot 33 and the texture gets really odd. this might circle back to tattoo bug... who knows

---------

Status Update 18 aug

took a 2 days pause (but still wasted all my times rebuilding every clothes in my modlist...damn

I still couldnt solve the tattoo problem.

What I could do (and I did) was isolate hand and feet. Now face tattoo, hand tattoo and feet tattoo will work. Body tattoo sadly wont.

as for the reason... I suppose it was nioverride specifically target slot 32 for body, slot 33 for hand and slot 37 for feet.

I could isolate hand and feet, but I must separate body into pieces for the new system to work.

I could delve into nioverride's code and find ways to implement tattoo on each bodypart, but... that's gonna be a low priority one. For now I just put a blank ref shape in slot 32 to disable body tattoo effect.

no im not gonna let this slide.

----------

Think im rapidly losing my mind.

Edited by lk74
status update

Another status update.

Getting tattoo to work is... very easy. But for it and the 'modular equipment' idea to work together, that wasn't so easy.

Almost lost my mind yesterday trying to make it.

Anyway here's a proof of concept.

Spoiler

Here we have 3 equipment pieces.

slot 32: body

slot 46: left breast

slot 47: right breast

It is doable, yes, but much complex than I originally anticipated. 

Doing skin partitioning in this way would require much more thought put into it than the old ways....

But it's doable. And I will be keep doing this.

And this method actually requires less computer resouce than I anticipated. That's a good sign !

Edited by lk74

On 8/20/2021 at 11:59 PM, valseil said:

This mod goes very well with Immersive Wenches pack, since there will be plenty of buxom women carcasses laying around. But will there be a completed version for LE? since SE does not like my pc.

hmmm, interesting. 

I didn't thought about wenches mod at all. last time I tried to install it ( about 3 month ago? ) I gave up due to having some problem with its body shape... hmmm... 

but back then I may not have my brain online.

(after reinstalling the mods) 

ok, yuriana wench doesnt work, she got cbbe body. but immersive wenches does work. hmmm. that's good to know. 

Sadly I wont be considering a LE version anytime soon.

I dont use LE, and there's more I want to do beside this remake.

But a LE port is definitely possible, someone could port this so long as he knows how to convert nif back into LE format.

all my scripts should be fine, if the prereq (PO3 papyrus extender, SKYUI LIB) still works the same way.

------------

Also, progress update.

Finally. 

Partitioning still works.

Thank god I could merge verticles in OutfitStudio otherwise I'm so fucked.

Spoiler

2 tattoo, one with racemenu, one with slavetats (they works the same though...)

Since the NG assets are quite low-poly, I thought it would be really hard to make it fit the higher-poly BHUNP body without touching BHUNP's verticle positions....

but back then I didn't know knife project exists.... IT JUST WORKS.

OK knife project is a bad bad idea. the edges are too rough. should opt for manual cutting since the beginning.

Edited by lk74
  • 2 weeks later...

Progress update.

So, the base body is done. Tested it in game, work as intended. Works with BS, works with tattoo and everything.

Only caveat is it takes most of body slots so anyone wants to use the new body must be stripped clean (and I mean clean, no Devious Devices.)

slot 52 is of course not occupied. dont want to conflict with those SOS pubes...

...but I now set the thing to only equip on dead actors, and last time I checked, DD don't hard-lock on dead actors so should be fine.

Spoiler

image.png.1105c5afc2ba9817fa1b1e1af563b666.png

Now I'll move onto making slides for the cuts.

---------

Aug 31

Cuts are done. here's a preview.

All parts are modular. Basically now I can replicate the old slim/normal/plump at will.

Of course the rib bones scaling is kinda weird. I did my best.

Should also add some blood splatter on skin, but it's out of my capability right now.

Spoiler

Character is on BHUNP-Aruru6Duck Max slider.

Moving onto scripts. Equipping items should be easy. But UI isnt. And I also planned to rewrite MCM.

And I plan to delve a bit deeper into skeleton, quite unsatisfied with the scatter limb parts' physic. As such, the "color matching limb parts" feature I mentionned before will need to get a rework. In the current state I can only add hand/foot bit, larger bits will not work with skeleton physics.

hmm... on a second thought I'll probably use the existing skeleton, and if I later find the needed knowledge I'll come back to it.

One thing I've been holding off is to verify if all useless data (especially spawned dummy actors) gets cleaned up.

that might take an extra few days.

Edited by lk74
status update

Update.

Scripts for modular cuts are finally done.

in the OG scripts, there is a bug with equipment not equipping properly. I implemented a fix without knowing what exactly caused it.

I now have a better grasp at things (after a whole day getting f**ked by multithreading)

Now there is a menu prompt for anyone that wants to customize the cuts, and (to be extra safe) it takes 1.5 second to get everything right.

Im now proceeding to isolate the cutting scripts from the cutting ui, and implement some custom preset feature for the cuts. 

and also modify the cutting ui scripts to also work as a preset editor.

Some screenshots of current state.

Spoiler

-------

Update

Preset system is mostly done.

in the cutting UI its now possible to save all current setting to 1 of 5 presets, and using a eligible weapon to cut a target will immediately pull data from saved presets instead of having to manually adjust every single option.

I have 3 presets already made, slim normal plump (according to OG namira's goat models)

Now I'll move onto MCM part, making a menu to allow easier management of the presets.

------

Update

Preset Editor is done.

Spoiler

Now, back to... hmmm... uh....

Im still hesitating on how to implement meat drop mechanics.

On one hand, I would like player to get the parts 'that were cut off'

But if I implement it like this, then most players would cut all parts due to wanting to get the optimum output. Then there would be no variety at all.

On the other hand, I could make bodies drop all parts regardless of how it was cutted, but then it'll most likely just add clutters... and no one likes that.

Hmmmmm....

headache.

nvm i'll just make both of them.

kinda lost on what to do next.

guess it's time to take a few days of break.

Edited by lk74
  • 3 weeks later...

A progress update : no progress at all.

long story short, I want to have a little break, so I first got PF:WOTR, then got a copy of Darkest Dungeon (was on sale), then dabbled in DD modding for the past few days.

mod im making has same theme with NG, but due to DD limitations... damn. making DD mods seriously made me appreciate how much freedom Creation Kit provides.

Sorry Todd i wronged you. Skyrim GOTY. It just works.

jokes aside, probably wont be making much progress for the following month. There's Undertale EP2, then there's Outer Wilds. 

Work will continue after im done with these :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 2:14 PM, Ngo Van Dang said:

take decap heads and equippable those heads?

I dont think this is possible.

take decap head part might be possible with a LOT of workaround (replicate npc, hide body, set pose, add placeholder item in inventory) but I certainly cant do it due to lack of knowledge.
equipping is definitely a no. not in 2021, prob not in 2022. unless nioverride can make miracle and I just didnt know much about it...

• 2 weeks later...

ok.

I should have made this realization much much earlier.

Continual development of this mod probably will get me into big troubles.

So this is the end of it :(

still, was a fun learning experience

but I sincerely apologize for giving all you guys false hope of a new update....

-----------------

I'll be updating this post for... related info ?

Although I will not be able to release any of this, I'll still provide some update.... might be helpful for anyone that tries the same thing??

I'll provide more detail here since the goal is no longer teasing but provide info to those who might understand it.

anyway.

Update 1

Spoiler

previously there was a 'modular' cutting system implemented.

after further playtesting, there was a serious bug related to it.

So, I made a new body skin based on BHUNP Advanced. I have skin partitioned up into around 20 parts. Main part is spb32.

Then I made cuts (armor model) that will overwrite the base skin part base on Skyrim's internal priority system.

the thing is, Skyrim is borked.

https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/5494-skyrim-lesse-skin-partitions-nif-to-ck/

as detailed in this post, the priority system will broke depending on save state.

So, I made a cut. everything works fine. I save the game, reload, it's broken.

(while priority is broken) I save, then reload, priority is fixed

(while priority is working) I save, reload, priority broke.

....fuck my life.

this means... i guess...uh....

anyone that wants to make a modular cutting system gonna give up skin tattoo

since tattoo will only apply to spb32, which means all skin portions must be in one piece. otherwise multiple skin part will overwrite each other.

but then, one could make his own outfit quite easily.

even though priority is borked, one need only to make a copy of the full body addon (with all partitions), disable the slot that were ment to be cut (while refering to which slot the cut takes), and the thing could be circumvented.....

sigh.

god damn bethesda, 'it just works' my $$$.

Edited by lk74
status update
2 hours ago, lk74 said:

ok.

I should have made this realization much much earlier.

Continual development of this mod probably will get me into big troubles.

So this is the end of it :(

still, was a fun learning experience

but I sincerely apologize for giving all you guys false hope of a new update....

Sorry to hear that @lk74. You're the second person I've seen in the community recently in that boat. Obviously the priority is your safety, so I'm sure everyone understands. Thanks for your contributions when you were able.

• 2 months later...

@lk74

I'm really appreciate for your work on this mod and sad for your leave.

I have tired the origin one in Oldrim and recently installed the SE. 

You might also notice the same issue that the models of all the pussies seemed like over shaded and looked too dark in the inventory.

I checked both the mods of the Oldrim and yours, along with the original SE ver. 1.0.

The Oldrim ver. was OK and the problem seemed due to the optimization of the nif files using "SSE Nif optimizer" from the original SE ver.

The solution is to do the "SSE Nif optimizer" with the check of "Smooth Normal" (default set is OK).

Then everything will be perfect.

As I only performed this using the meshes from Oldrim, I'm not sure it would work on the SSE ver.

If necessary, I could provide the fixed meshes.

Thank you!

Edited by cgkukou
8 hours ago, cgkukou said:

You might also notice the same issue that the models of all the pussies seemed like over shaded and looked too dark in the inventory.

thank you for your interest !

and yes, I am aware of the broken labia meshes. I do have the fix on my end.

If I remember correctly, I did packaged the fix into one of the earlier RC versions I uploaded.... but I have bad memories :( or I removed the file afterward

anyway, indeed the problem stem from messy conversion from LE to SE. In Sillius' conversion those meshes were broken, in the 9DM conversion its also broken. back in LE they are fine.

never tried Nif optimizer, though I do have it installed... hmmm, thats always good to know.

anyway, if this doesn't bother you, yes please upload your fix (since I am not able to do it).

There might be other users that will need it.

Edited by lk74
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Its not an update. 

I just ran into some stuff that I think anyone that followed this thread might be interested in.

https://arca.live/b/tullius/49075445

A gory clutter replacer, in the same vein of Namira's Decoration.

Replace cooking spit model, archery target model, and hagraven/forsworn related decoration model.

few things to keep in mind:

- author messed up some of the hair texture path, you'll need to fix it manually.

- it used 3BA asset with default body texture path, so BHUNP user will need to manually edit the textures.

• 4 weeks later...