[mod] Same Sex Marriage

Same Sex Marriage

View File

PLEASE NOTE: This mod doesn't by itself allow same sex marriage. There are hard blocks that need to be removed for that to happen. But WaffleIron just uploaded a patch to the Paradox interactive forums. So you will need to successfully run the patch first.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/unofficial-gay-marriage-legalization-patch.1465518/

Edit: And Paradox has taken it down. Probably because it makes them look bad. I'm leaving this up for now, if anyone got the patch in time. Otherwise, this is code that would work to enable same sex marriage if not for the hard blocks.

This mod creates a second set of marriage interactions specifically for same sex characters. Essentially this just bypasses the non-hardcoded checks.

That's pretty much it for now, I intend to add religious doctrines and the ability to have surrogates/donors to allow same sex couples to reproduce in a different mod. But I figured it would be good to have something basic first.

Unfortunately Paradox has decided fairly swiftly to take down my patch, and also hit me with a ban for it.

I'm not sure if I want to post it here if they're so against the thing. I will see if I can find some other way to distribute the required changes.

8 minutes ago, WaffleIron said:

Unfortunately Paradox has decided fairly swiftly take down my patch, and also hit me with a ban for it.

I'm not sure if I want to post it here if they're so against the thing. I will see if I can find some other way to distribute the required changes.

I would ask the mods/admins here before doing so. I don't see a problem with it. Screw Pdox because all you did was show how they were lying. 

Yeah, I'm definitely on your side about this.  Paradox has lost all the benefit of a doubt I could have on this issue.  Ask the admins, to be sure, but I'm in favor of having it available, even if I'm not going to be playing the game any more.

Did they give any specific reason for the ban, or was it just vague and bland?  Or something like they don't allow modding .exe files (even though they clearly do, from other files put up on the forum)?

30 minutes ago, Abraxis00 said:

Yeah, I'm definitely on your side about this.  Paradox has lost all the benefit of a doubt I could have on this issue.  Ask the admins, to be sure, but I'm in favor of having it available, even if I'm not going to be playing the game any more.

Did they give any specific reason for the ban, or was it just vague and bland?  Or something like they don't allow modding .exe files (even though they clearly do, from other files put up on the forum)?

Due to their poor execution of their forum code. You'll see you're banned, but you can't actually read your messages.  The ban prohibits you from accessing your inbox. LOL ? 

The Legalize Gay Modding thread on the Pdox forums got locked. 

There were a bunch of modders on a Discord server where certain Pdox employees posted at came into the thread to defend Pdox's honor. These individuals proceeded to speak for Pdox and fanned the flames. It went over as well as food poisoning at a high priced catering event.

On 4/3/2021 at 6:23 PM, SamIAmHam said:

The Legalize Gay Modding thread on the Pdox forums got locked. 

There were a bunch of modders on a Discord server where certain Pdox employees posted at came into the thread to defend Pdox's honor. These individuals proceeded to speak for Pdox and fanned the flames. It went over as well as food poisoning at a high priced catering event.

From the last post in the thread, it looks like the thread is temporarly locked until Tuesday when they're back in the office. ('Hopefully', this incident will give them a kick in the pants to improve the situation.)

Also, it appears that Waffle's status on the forums is "Probation", not "Banned".

1 hour ago, Darsel said:

From the last post in the thread, it looks like the thread is temporarly locked until Tuesday when they're back in the office. ('Hopefully', this incident will give them a kick in the pants to improve the situation.)

Also, it appears that Waffle's status on the forums is "Probation", not "Banned".

If you're banned it will say probation. 

I doubt Pdox will do anything. They love to ignore their customers and ban the ones that are critical of their decisions.

I can't seem to get matrilineal marriages to work, so far even if I have the matrilineal marriage checked it will default to patrilineal marriage no matter what.

Edit: Also there may also be a problem with the genetics it seems; even though I paired two people of the same sex both with Herculean, Genius and Beautiful in the end all of their kids would only end up with Hale, Quick and Comely but never Herculean, Genius or Beautiful despite it supposed to be guaranteed.

Edit2: Nvm, my characters were just incredibly inbred. Managed to pump up the genetical traits by lowering the inbreeding chance.

It's like... We're already screwing with history as it is... I've got a save file where I restored and expanded the Roman Empire (Ruling from Iceland to modern day Pakistan) under a neo-pagan absolute matriarchy. 

how is THAT somehow okay,  but yet I can't have the Empress marry her girlfriend...?

I'm not quite shopping at Big Ed's Pitchfork Emporium just yet, mostly because adding in character sexuality to the base game isn't exactly something that a homophobic developer would do.  However, breaking a modding feature while seemingly writing it off demonstrates a fairly serious communication problem.  Their handling of the thread on the forums was similarly heavy-handed when a more nuanced approach would have resulted in better outcomes.  Hopefully the end result is that they fix their code.

Yeah, from what I've been able to tell from contact with people who were in the thread, there were warnings, bannings, and mass deletions of posts because a forum rule says that you can't publicly discuss moderator actions.  So any post that mentioned the fact that Waffle was banned was deleted, and the people who posted them warned or banned themselves.  That strikes me as a pretty insane way to run a forum.  And it's not exactly going to calm people down who already felt like Paradox was mistreating them.

I'm going to see what Paradox's response tomorrow is like, assuming they make one when the thread is reopened.  But it'd have to be pretty darned good to get me to come back to them.

I was considering going back to CK3 after a hiatus, but seeing that they've broken same-sex concubines means I won't bother. Paradox's response to this is absolutely pathetic. The lack of developers even acknowledging that modders want this is pathetic.

It's good news, but I'm still not happy with them after all the mess.  (And honestly, I can't help but think they wouldn't have gotten around to doing even this much if Waffle hadn't forced the issue, so congratulations to him for this.)  Don't know yet if I'm going to come back to the game, but I'll at least leave my mod up for people who want to use it.  We'll see how things go after this.

Its a shame that this issue was handled so poorly, but I can understand the reasoning on both sides. I think the perceived homophobia that people are painting Paradox with is probably more to do with big business being slow to react the internet community rather than an actual problem with their corporate culture. 

I did not realize that the same sex "patch" was actually a .exe file without digging in to the story a bit more for example. That changes the equation because as Paradox points out, they can not possibly vet all files to prevent malware from being introduced with them so they ban them on principle. Unfortunately this happened with a polarizing issue like gay rights; not by design but by blind application of policy. 

It is also a shame that things need to escalate to accusations of homophobia in order to get enough attention from the developers to fix a long standing issue with their game. I like Paradox as a company but the more this goes on the more it will go on.

A shame, but at least the issue appears to be getting addressed, and hopefully paradox can be a little more open in their communication going forward to prevent the need for dramatics to get action.