IK rigs for Animating and Posing in Blender

IK rigs for Animating and Posing in Blender

! Uploaded them again. I had accidentally rotated one of the leg bones in the male rig in a weird way. If you want to fix it yourself: I rotated the L_calf in the 3rd layer. Press AltR and AltG while selecting it and it should be fixed. Or just redownload :) !

These are the rigs I use for animating and posing for the sims 3. After sitting on them for quite long, I've decided to release them to the public. Please read the comments in the support topic on how to use: 

Do what you want with these rigs. Animate them, pose them, adjust them. The only rule I have, is that if you make an adjustment that improves the rig, please let me know so I can update them. 

Updates in text:

Spoiler

Updated 09-02-2021: added limitation and workaround.

Updated 10-02-2021: to link to Lucas tutorial. 

Updated 10-02-2021: Added chapter in second comment about parenting. Added a limitation I noticed. 

Updated 11-02-2021: Added an extra note on the 'wonky wrist' issue under the limitations chapter. 
Updated 29-04-2021: Added how to get a second actor in blender as it is a FAQ.

Updated 06-05-2021: Added recommended blender version

Updated 02-06-2021: More info on blender version and updated cliptool. 

I have finally decided to share my rigs. I urge you to please read everything I have to say about them, or else you will find yourself extremely confused or you will find that your animations won’t work in game. That said, you’re probably still are going to be confused, unless you have some experience with blender.

What I will do:

1.       Explain my rigs as best as I can – the ‘what makes them work’.

2.       Give some tips on animating with these rigs. (I will add this later)

3.       Update this post when I figure out something else or think of something I haven't mentioned yet.

What I won’t do:

1.       Explain how to create package files to get them in game, add sounds etc.

2.       Explain the basics of blender.

For that, I will point you to the tutorial Lucas (or alternately TheMaster) has created:

Spoiler

Lucas: up to date tutorial.

The Master: He made a whole pack where you’ll find everything you need to know about getting them in game, including all programs. His tutorial is created for Animated Woohoo, but almost everything is the same. There is one very important difference when using my rigs, and that’s how you need to export the clip files. I will explain this later in this text – please DO NOT skip over this part! It is essential.
The other difference is the XML code. In the file of TheMaster you’ll get a file that has the coding for AnimatedWoohoo. You will need to replace that with code that works with KW (passion can read those, so it’s the best option). Please look at the files of other creators to know what you should do – that’s how I learned myself. Unfortunately, the wiki of KW is gone. I might (might!) explain the XML in the future.

You need Blender Version 2.67(b)
Clydie informed me that blender version 2.76b also works, only the baking process is different. I've included that in the chapter about baking. You can find the updated cliptool for newer versions of Blender here.

The rigs

The first thing you need to know, is that I created these rigs with almost zero knowledge of blender. They are easier to animate with than the standard rigs, but they have a lot of limitations and are honestly quite the mess. I’ve always wanted to create new, better rigs to share with you, but rigging is extremely tedious, and I found myself always dreading to create them anew. So, I will just share what I have now – keep in mind that they have mistakes and are basically made by a noob.

How to get a second rig in Blender:

For adding a second actor in Blender, go to File -> append -> go to where you have the rigs stored on your pc -> click on the rig you want to add -> object -> select everything with 'am' or 'af' in it and click link/append from library. 

How my rigs work:

Spoiler

In the basic rigs, you’re using Forward Kinematics, which means you must move each joint individually. With my rigs, you’ll be working with Inverse Kinematics, which means you only move one bone to set a chain reaction on other joints.

I will use the female rig as example.
When you open the blender file, you will see this:

1626240704_BlenderD__Animations-Poses_Rigs-IK_ForRelease_MJ_afRig_IKcontrol.blend2_8_20214_05_01PM.png.7ee8b89ca1f2ddc9925ca4a184aa8cac.png

This is the rig you’ll be animating with. However, the secret is that you’re actually working with two rigs instead of one. If you go to the Object Data tab, you’ll see that there are bones on different layers.

469097066_BlenderD__Animations-Poses_Rigs-IK_ForRelease_MJ_afRig_IKcontrol.blend2_8_20214_11_52PM.png.811973463a1a1559d052b2a783ece14e.png

1 = the rig you’re working with
2 = the face bones for creating expressions
3 = the mechanical rig that the original rig copies
4 = the original rig that translates the bone movement to your game
5 = (hidden) bones you probably never have to use.

For creating animations, you’ll only use layer 1 and 2.

Spoiler

EDIT: Sorry, what I wrote below is the way to do it if you want to move a single bone to a different layer because you'd always want it there. To have multiple layers visible at the same time, simply shift click them.

What I wrote first (still good to know though): If you want for example the facial bones visible on the first layer, press the A key to select al bones while in the second bone layer, then press M and SHIFT-click on the first layer. If you shift click, they will stay one the second layer too, which is handy in case you don’t want them on the first layer anymore – then you’ll only need to select them all again in the second layer, press M and normal click on the second layer. 

When you go to the third layer, you will see this:

167598076_Blender_D__Animations-Poses_Rigs-IK_ForRelease_MJ_afRig_IKcontrol.blend2_8_20214_29_52PM.png.99910696ac215e07324f0ad05226e8fd.png

As I said before, this is the mechanical second rig that make the original rig work the way it does. You’ll almost never use this layer when animating, but you will if you need to make adjustments.

To try to keep this as short as possible:

1.       The calves and forearms have IK constraints on them(layer 3).

2.       Almost every bone in the original rig (layer4) have ‘copy location’ and ‘copy rotation’ – that way it communicates with the second, mechanical rig. Exception are the face bones and the fingers (I’ve never gotten to create good controls for them, except for the eye control)

3.       The spine is set up in a way that if you rotate one of the control bones, the rest of the spine will move with it in a natural way.

4.       The foot structure is what allows you to squat the rig moving the root_bind_control without the legs moving underground. The parenting can be changed so that the pivot point is the toe instead of the heel.

5.       Under the ‘object’ tab (little box) you’ll find FK-IK switches for the arms and legs. These are set up by drivers and CANNOT BE RENAMED or else they won’t work anymore. I know this because I accidentally named one of them ‘been’ instead of ‘leg.’ Congratulations, you have now learned a Dutch word. (I will explain the switches later)

6.       The fingers and clavicles have their own IK chain (which I am NOT happy about how they work – but that’s another matter. I will expand on the clavicles later)

7.       Some joints with IK chains on them, I’ve limited in the way they can rotate. I did this for the fingers, clavicles, and calves. When animating, I sometimes also limit the rotation of the underarms. If you don’t like these limitations, you can disable or change them by clicking the bone and then look under the ‘Bone’ tab. There is a section called ‘Inverse Kinematics’ (see pic below) – there you’ll find the limitations I put on them. Especially the fingers I am unhappy about – hands are quite complex.

344259964_Blender_D__Animations-Poses_Rigs-IK_ForRelease_MJ_afRig_IKcontrol.blend2_8_20217_47_57PM.png.641b6835b85f80ac397c558339a3c4d8.png

If the X-ray of the bones bug you, you can disable that in the Object Data tab:

ezgif-7-6a826041748c.gif.a60e3bc3cc90aac2e13dab06bb62e924.gif

What to know before animating with these rigs:

Spoiler

First: make sure auto-keying is on. This will save you a lot of work. In my rig files, it’s turned on already. If you move a bone now, it will automatically put a keyframe in your dopesheet.

One of the most important things, is that you will really need to make adjustments yourself when animating. So, you will need to know how to work with constraints. Why? Because I’ve set up my rig in such way that you can now rotate it into position using the controlbone. When I put the constraints in place needed to make this rig work better, the joints will distort when rotating. There probably is a way of solving this, but I’ve tried many things without success. So, first put the rig in the position you want to animate in, then put the constraints you need.

Another reason you’ll need to learn this yourself, is because you will find yourself needing different constraints or different values in different animations.

The constraint I find myself using the most is the ‘Child of’. I’m gonna show you why.

Here you see me moving the IKarm_L:

movehandnoconsraints.gif.74946447495963e4c3d4409b5c8714be.gif

You might notice how the clavicle isn’t moving with the hand, as is the elbow pole. To make them move with the IK arm so you don’t have to adjust them manually, you do this:

1259840371_Blender_D__Animations-Poses_Rigs-IK_ForRelease_MJ_afRig_IKcontrol.blend2_8_20216_10_54PM.png.36647f58cb16aea55d15bf109b76798f.png

Under the bone constraints tab, add the bone constraint. In the screenshot you see I have the elbowpole selected, but it works the same for the claviclecontrol.

You will need to input the target and bone yourself. After you’ve done that, the bone will jump to a different position. Do not worry, just click ‘set inverse’ and it will jump right back.

Now they follow  the IKarm:

movehandwithconstraints.gif.04bb05176c29ec2fc0138fc02fd9efb5.gif

And you can still move them manually to a different position, of course. This can give you different results:

movehandwithconstraints2.gif.bf85ae625a3637c4c829c12acdbf795a.gif

It also works this way for the knee poles (make them child of the heelbone). Gifs to show the difference with and without constraint:

kneepolewith.gif.53fc99ab3e64df758cc9900b9a9f20c3.gif          kneepolewithout.gif.d5d40c3e31cd53d1a858561ecc872903.gif

Now, you might have noticed the ‘influence’ setting under the ‘Child of’ constraint. This will determine how much the other bones will move with the hand. You can click it, and put a value there, let’s say 0.5 for now. Now the bones under the ‘child off’ constraint will move less freely with the IK arm.

The beautiful thing is, did you know that you can even set a keyframe on a constraint? So, let’s say you want the first half of your animation with a 1.0 value and the second half of your animation with a 0.5 value (or a zero value so it doesn’t move at all), just right click the ‘influence’ button and choose ‘insert keyframe:

887467373_Blender_D__Animations-Poses_Rigs-IK_ForRelease_MJ_afRig_IKcontrol.blend2_8_20217_22_54PM.png.f81ce952ee4be6423ea5d8e7740deb00.png

Now you’ll have a keyframe in your dopesheet summary. Imagine the possibilities!

Depending on your animation, you must decide whether to put constraints on bones. Sometimes I find it gives better results when I move bones manually. It really depends on the animation you make.

This is not even the tip of the iceberg of what you can do with constraints. A lot of it I don’t know myself, but what I do know, I’ll explain later when I will give tips for making an animation.

A different way:

Spoiler

Now I want to let you know there is also a different way to let the clavicle move with the IK arm. For this, you need to go to the 3rd layer, where the mechanical rig is. Click on one of the forearms, go to the constraints tab, and set the chain length to 3. If you move the IK arm after that, you’ll notice the clavicle also moves with the IK arm. I personally find that this gives me unpredictable results, so I don’t use it often.

Parenting of the bones  (in another comment due limitations in file upload)

Limitations of the rig (and possible workarounds):

Spoiler

- One of the biggest limitation of this rig, is the way the IK arms are set up. They are designed to lean on stuff and stay in place - for that, they work great. However, if you find yourself in need of adjusting the hand so that the palm faces upward, you'll find this rig won't work great for it:

795132338_Blender_D__Animations-Poses_Rigs-IK_ForRelease_MaryJane_IKrigs_MJ_afRig_IKcontrol.blend2_9_20212_07_27PM.png.963a1678f5205de40049a3f00cdd935c.png

At first glance, it might look normal. However, when we zoom in on the wrist, we see what I like to call a 'wonky wrist'

102836054_Blender_D__Animations-Poses_Rigs-IK_ForRelease_MaryJane_IKrigs_MJ_afRig_IKcontrol.blend2_9_20212_08_10PM.png.0683cfa86801655d032a64466020b435.png

You can't believe how much this has bugged me. In a lot of my animations I just accepted this horror and rolled with it. 
At first, I thought it was caused because of the set-up of my rigs. But I've also noticed the wonky wrist in EA animations, so I think it's just the way the sims rig works with IK.

HOWEVER, because I released these rigs with all their flaws, I decided to once again take a look at this to see if I can solve it. I'm glad to say I have found a solution! It's a bit of a tedious workaround, a FK way of moving the joints, and I think it works best in animations where the hand needs to keep this position (or another position where a fix like this is needed) throughout the animation. I won't recommend flipping the hand this way mid animation - I haven't tried that myself yet, but I'm guessing it won't look good.

To fix this, you have to also adjust the forearm in the 3rd layer, the one with the IK chain on it. Rotate the IKarm, the forearm and the elbowpole untill the arm is in the position you wish it is. After it is in position, it you can animate it as you normally would, with IK constraints and all.

You can see me working on it in the video.

Note: I have not tested this profoundly yet. You might also need to adjust the pole angle under the constraints tab (maybe, that on itself is enough to fix the issue without having to rotate the arm) and might have to disable 'inherit rotation' under the bone tab, so that the rotation doesn't follow the upperarm. I will update when I learn more about it myself. 

- The spine control bones don't move with the rig when you move it with the root_bind_control. I need to find a good parenting that doesn't impact the spine control itself but allows it to move with the mesh.
You can just drag the bones to a different position if they stay behind: moving doesn't alter the rig, rotating does. 

- Except for the eyes, which have a controlbone so you can rotate to move them both at the same time, you need to animate facial expressions manually.

- The fingers have an IK chain, so if you grab the tip of the finger the whole finger will move. But I really, really hate to animate hands, especially the thumbs, so these IK chains are far from perfect. I just can’t seem to figure it out.

Of course, you can still move the joints individually also.

REALLY IMPORTANT
How to let the animation translate correctly to your game:

This is ESSENTIAL to know. Please don’t skip over this part.

Spoiler

Because we are working with two rigs instead of one, you can’t just export the clip as you normally would. If you do this, the game rig will not recognize your animation, because technically, you haven’t set keyframes on the bones of the original rig. You have animated the second rig.

What you need to do, is bake the action, and I’m going to show you how.

Let’s say you have finished your animation; you’re now going to bake it. (Save BEFORE the baking. This is very, very important).

In pose mode, click pose > animation > bake action…

2014088803_Blender_D__Animations-Poses_Rigs-IK_ForRelease_MJ_afRig_IKcontrol.blend2_8_20218_04_59PM.png.7b5a373b2efaa4b4e119845ad3a9a030.png

After that, a window pops up. Make sure the start frame and end frame are the same as on your animation.

For Blender version 2.67bUncheck ‘only selected’ and check ‘clear constraints’. Click OK after that. Depending on the length of your animation, the baking might take a while. 

For Blender version 2.76bUncheck everything. Click OK after that. Depending on the length of your animation, the baking might take a while. 

1076647284_Blender_D__Animations-Poses_Rigs-IK_ForRelease_MJ_afRig_IKcontrol.blend2_8_20218_09_56PM.png.a26b2a520cd83dd6b5af681070492324.png

Once it’s baked, you can export your clip file as you normally would. DON’T SAVE after baking. Just click away blender. Because you need to clear the constraints, you will render the rig useless after baking. If you test your animation in game and notice something you need to adjust, you cannot edit it if you save your baked animation over your original one. IK bone-parenting will be lost. You have been warned.

The beautiful thing of baking is that you don’t have to set keyframes on everything. Let’s say you have put a ‘Child of’ constraint on the Elbowpole, so the only reason it moves in your animation is because you have moved the IKarm, the movement will still translate to your game after baking, without ever having to touch the bone itself.

Other, less important, things about these rigs:

Spoiler

1. As I mentioned before, I have put drivers on these rigs so you can switch the arms and legs between FK and IK. Theoretically, you can even put keyframes on it to switch between them in animation, but honestly, I find myself never using it when animating because there is distortion of the mesh when switching (I do use this when making poses with these rigs, though – for posing, I sometimes find myself in need to pose something with FK instead of IK).

Under the objects tab, you’ll find the switches. In the gif below I have posed the leg with IK, then flipped the switch to show you what happens.

IKFKswitchleg.gif.a238337d05e6b0173bb58d8926fab2c9.gif

After you have done this, remember you now must animate or pose the leg (or arm) bones in the 4th layer.

For the arms it works the same, except that you need to remove the copy location and copy rotation constraints on the hand bone, or else it will stay in position when the rest of the arm moves away from it. These constraints are there so the hand rotates with the IK arm.

2. You might find some bones from the mechanical second rig, like the spine and pelvis bones, also on the first layer, while you technically don’t need them because there are IK controls for it. Sometimes I notice that I need to adjust one of those bones individually for my animation, without the rest of the chain also moving, that’s why I’ve put them on the first layer.

3. As I already said, I made these rigs before I started animating seriously, so there will be mistakes in bone rotations etc. Some aspects (like the spinecontrol) I added later on, but most of it was made with zero knowledge, just by reading about rigging, looking at other peoples work and trying to understand.

The male rig was the first rig I made. I accidentally started working on one of the adult rigs of buhudain – I wanted to work on the ‘normal’ rigs because the adult rigs responded slowly in blender. But I only noticed my mistake halfway through and really didn’t want to start over again, so after fiddling around with the specular etc. I was happy to notice the rig responded normally now.

Ironically, the female rig I did make out of the normal rigs. When I started animating though, I often made anal animations when I intended them to be vaginal ones, because I couldn’t really see where to stick it, so to say. So with this one I wished I had used the adult rig instead.
What I have done now, is added the adult skin on the body of the female rig. Only the body, it’s only for aligning purposes. So there is a mismatch with the feet and head, but that doesn’t really matter. You only animate with it.

4. There might be some slight differences in bone shapes between the two rigs. I never tidied them up.

5. You might find random IK chains here and there. Sometimes I try out something new (but forget about it later).

Edited by MaryJane

Parenting of the bones

Spoiler

I’ve dreaded to place this chapter, because I don’t want you all running away, scared, thinking this is just too difficult. Please, keep in mind: I learned this all without any guidance specifically for the sims 3 rigs – if I can, so can you. I’m not technical, I had zero knowledge with 3D programs. I am just a stubborn nurse who wanted to make animations.
Some of you probably want to go straight to the good part: sticking the pixel dick in the pixel pussy! Yes! Although I really understand that, it is important to understand the basics of the structure you’re working with.

So, we have arrived at parenting. I’m not going to explain every aspect, because I would have to write a book to do that.

Very short: the parenting of bones is what decides the hierarchy of the rig. This determines how it moves, this makes IK-chains work (or not work) and it is what allows you to squat this rig without the feet sinking under groundlevel.

My rig is set up in a way that the controlbone is on top of the hierarchy. That’s why you can move the rig like this:

1412846895_rotatingrig.gif.4d30faa744738a2c7adbe28bfc65366c.gif    1327988968_movingrig.gif.e7e59c8be2c6459e5a2dedf0b76d9ec2.gif

In the previous chapter, the ‘what you should know before animating’, I’ve introduced you to the constraints.  I said that I didn’t put the constraints already in place because they would distort when rotating. While this is true, I forgot how this rig started out: with different parenting.

If you’re familiar with the rigs of Lucas, you might have noticed that some of the structure is the same as mine. One difference is the parenting.
When I used this rig a few years ago, it had similar parenting. So, the elbowpoles were the child of the IKarm, and the Kneepoles were the child of the Heelbones. Why I disabled that is personal preference, I’ll explain that later. If however, you do like that parenting, which is convenient if you want to whip up a quick animation, you can do this quite easily.

Please note, that in this case I’m not talking about the ‘child of’ constraint. I’ll show you what I mean with the kneepole_R.

Select the kneepole_R and go to Edit mode. While in Edit mode, go to the ‘Bone’ tab while the Kneepole_R is still selected. There, you’ll see that it is now child of the Controlbone. Change that to Heel_R. That’s all. Now the Kneepole will follow the Heel.

Do this for the other Kneepole_L (parent:  Heel_L) and Elbowpole_R (parent: IKarm_R) and Elbowpole_L (parent: IKarm_L). In the gif you see me changing the parenting of the Kneepole so you have a visual with it:

parentingheel.gif.0921d7fa42665200363c7878015f910c.gif

Note: this works great for the elbow and kneepoles. The claviclecontrol is a different matter: it does not work well when parented to the IKarm, I noticed. Use that one manual or with constraints (or figure out a better structure and let me know!)

Why I don’t have them parented by default:

Spoiler

I’m going to be honest, I facepalmed myself when I realized I had uploaded the rigs without this simple parenting. It works as it should and is easier for beginners. You can still rotate the rig without distortion, everything works fine.

Then why don’t I have this setup by default?

In the beginning, I had. This is how the rigs started out. With some animations I noticed it bugged me that the knee- or elbowpole would also move every time I moved the heel or arm. So I started working with constraints, which give the same result, but you can alter by min-maxing the influence, insert keyframes etc. In a way, it gave me more freedom. So, that’s why.

Alternate foot parenting to change pivot point:

Spoiler

I put this in a spoiler because it’s optional, and it’s complex. Be smart and save the rig under a different name once you’ve done this in case you need it in the future. That’s what I did. Why haven’t I just put that rigs up for download too? Well, because if I hand you everything on a platter, you’re never going to understand what you’re working with.

That said, let’s pretend you want to make an animation where the female sim is standing on her toes. You pose her, and once she is in the position you want you decide to add some leg movement to make your animation flow. That’s when you notice this:

rotatingtoesmove.gif.c9592d31acdab6b0693abca520fea7d5.gif

That’s weird, man! The toes shouldn’t move like that when she’s balancing on them. Luckily, this can be fixed.

Let’s go to edit mode and go to the 3rd bonelayer to edit the parenting of the foot structure. In the pictures, I’ll highlight the bones you’re going to edit. In the first, you’ll see their original parenting, in the second what you’re going to change it to. I’m showing it with the right foot, but it’s the same for the left (but you work with the bones that have ‘L’ in them).

1.    1895737177_Originalparenting.png.9099c23dde6bd7775432fec78b7f87a7.png

2:    1528434088_Newparenting.png.60f2a34c3e51807c1f5663de8b01ad80.png

Note: if you have parented the kneepoles to the heel, you’ll also need to change that parenting to b__R_Toe__.001

Once you have done this and go back to pose mode, you’ll see that the animation you made is now quite useless because the rig responded to the new parenting. You’re going to have to position her again and now you’ll notice that you need to grab the Toe to move the whole leg.

What you might also notice, is that you can’t rotate the Toe anymore. This is because of constraints I have set on them, so that the original rig follows this one. If you want to be able to rotate the Toe, follow the steps in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

Let’s go to the 4th layer, where the original rig is located. There, you select one of the toes (you’re going to have to do it for both). When selected, go to the constraints tab. You’ll see this:

Toedriver.png.dc8147a2b2b9c08fc1a3796321533c59.png

This are the constraints I put on them. They are purple because they are also part of the Driver that allows the IK-FK switching. This also means, you can’t simply put the influence to zero. What you’ll need to do is remove this constraints completely OR, what I prefer, remove the Bone value, like this:

toedriverchange.png.618114782dde5e066c87cafb81ce3e56.png

The headers now turn red and the constraints are rendered useless, which is what we wanted.

Once you have done this for both toes, select them both by shift-clicking, press the M key, and shift-click on the first layer.

1252157454_changebonelayers.png.756d103812d1bdec98bc1154fd65e8ae.png

When we move back to the first layer now, the Toe bones should be there. Now you can rotate the Toe with these bones.

You’re going to need to position her again and animate the legs. Now the foot rotates around the Toe instead of the Heel – congratulations!

Important things to know about parenting:

-          Parenting can be changed mid animation, as I have shown you with the feet, but the rig will respond, and your animation will change. It is best to decide what parenting you’re going to use BEFORE making the animation.

-          The one parenting you should NEVER mess with is the one of the b__ROOT__ and the b__ROOT_bind_. If you unparent those two bones, your animation will be underground in game.

o   This is why I added the b__ROOT_bind_CONTROL to my rig, which is a different bone, parented to the controlbone. The b__ROOT_bind_  copies its transforms.

-          Some of my structures have complex parenting complimented by constraints – the spine for example. Although you are allowed to make changes, I don’t recommend it unless you really know what you are doing.

Thank you uploading your rigs and for the update.

Definitely will give it a try. They look god to handle on the first view..... Now, for me more practice is needed ?

And many thanks for the workaround to explain how to use the rigs. Just learned something new !

16 minutes ago, Clydie said:

Thank you uploading your rigs and for the update.

Definitely will give it a try. They look god to handle on the first view..... Now, for me more practice is needed ?

And many thanks for the workaround to explain how to use the rigs. Just learned something new !

You're welcome, I hope you'll get something out of them! I already like a lot of your animations!

Practice is the key. I don't consider myself to be a good animator, actually (maybe because I don't do it often enough). The only reason that I pulled it of is because of my pigheadedness (won't accept to not know something), not because I have so much talent for it.  

I really hope now that I have taken the big complication of rigging away, more animators will stand up. Rigging is the puzzle behind the animation. I thought to myself, what if there are a lot of talented animators here, who can't actually animate because they can't figure out the rigging needed for it? they're two different things. In an animation film from let say, Disney, the people who do the actual rigging are most of the time a different team then the ones who make the animation. I really hope some people with talent for the actual visual aspect, will stand up, grab these rigs and deliver something we can all enjoy :D 

I will also make some videos with tips on animating. But this have to wait, because I don't have a mic yet (and I need to practise because I'm a bit rusty - haven't animated for almost two years). I think it's easier to talk during the video and explain what I'm doing, instead of writing everything down. 

28 minutes ago, eldark17 said:

MaryJane please,

let me say your animations was great also.

So don't say bullshit!!?

Hope one day we can play with some your new creation!

(my opinion)?

Aw, thank you! Glad you enjoy them :) 

I'm working on new animations now. I'm also working on other stuff (a posepack) and on the rigs themselves (I always find myself trying to tweak them) so I'm not sure when the animations will be ready. You'll see them pop up eventually.  

1 hour ago, MaryJane said:

a posepack

Although I quickly found that animations are not my thing, I still have a question about the rigs... Do you know if it is possible to attach your rig to an object mesh while in Blender? My forever problem is that my meshes are generally 2 pieces, garment and body. Bone weights are never the same for both. They can't be as one or the other would stretch oddly. So, I must guess and hope, paint bones, make the meshes, make the packages, put them in game and then put sims through a series of activities to check clipping...

Bottom line is, if there is a way to use your rigs with my meshes while in Blender, I may be able to move my meshes there?

19 minutes ago, LadySmoks said:

Although I quickly found that animations are not my thing, I still have a question about the rigs... Do you know if it is possible to attach your rig to an object mesh while in Blender? My forever problem is that my meshes are generally 2 pieces, garment and body. Bone weights are never the same for both. They can't be as one or the other would stretch oddly. So, I must guess and hope, paint bones, make the meshes, make the packages, put them in game and then put sims through a series of activities to check clipping...

Bottom line is, if there is a way to use your rigs with my meshes while in Blender, I may be able to move my meshes there?

If you have the cliptool for blender, io_s3py_animation, you can click on the rigs and import a CAS item in the scene tab. It will attach itself to the rig your importing it to. Although you can do this, I'm not sure if my rigs are good to test clothes this way. You can always try, of course, but I recommend that for the first few test rounds, you also test in game to see if it gives the same results. 

2 hours ago, MaryJane said:

click on the rigs and import a CAS item in the scene tab. It will attach itself to the rig your importing it to

AH!!! Thank you for answering! I will try this. )))

17 hours ago, MaryJane said:

Rigging is the puzzle behind the animation.

Thank you for your answer.

You speak a true word here and it took me a long time discovering this.

Started with zero knowledge and the rig what Master provided in his tutorial. But lately I used the rigs what Lucas provided.

A big step forward. Now I am curious about your rigs.

Again, many thanks for sharing them here.

Looking forward to your new creations.  Much like your animations, they are really great and enrich the game a lot.

8 hours ago, doxian said:

we need to animate the breasts bones right ?

Yes, the rigs don't have a breast control, you need to animate them manually. Something I still want to add, but I want to many things at the same time. For now, I will focus on making animations myself, or else I won't even know how to use my rigs anymore ?

9 hours ago, MaryJane said:

Yes, the rigs don't have a breast control, you need to animate them manually. Something I still want to add, but I want to many things at the same time. For now, I will focus on making animations myself, or else I won't even know how to use my rigs anymore ?

Thanks for the update and for the answer :D im having much fun praticing with your rig

• 1 month later...

Hi MaryJane! Thanks for the good rigs! 
I have a couple of questions:
1. Is it possible and how to make an overview like in Lucas' rigs? I change the view of the figure by moving the mouse and pressing the wheel (perhaps there is something else?), While the figure is displaced off the screen when viewed from the side. This is not very convenient. 
2. I haven't found how to add a second actor to the scene for pair animation?
Thanks

On 3/22/2021 at 7:30 AM, sim333 said:

Hi MaryJane! Thanks for the good rigs! 
I have a couple of questions:
1. Is it possible and how to make an overview like in Lucas' rigs? I change the view of the figure by moving the mouse and pressing the wheel (perhaps there is something else?), While the figure is displaced off the screen when viewed from the side. This is not very convenient. 
2. I haven't found how to add a second actor to the scene for pair animation?
Thanks

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by an overview? If you mean all the keys and what-not to maneuver around in Blender, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to do that. I would have to write a whole book to cover everything and honestly, I don't know everything myself. So use google, there is a lot of documentation on how to work with blender. 

For adding a second actor: in Blender, go to File -> append -> go to where you have the rigs stored on your pc -> click on the rig you want to add -> object -> select everything with 'am' or 'af' in it and click link/append from library. 

• 3 weeks later...

I saw my first animation in the game yesterday. Looks super mega awful, but it works!!
I don't understand what the problem was, but the game stubbornly reject registration in KW. I had to hammer in with a sledgehammer.
WOW so that as it happened That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind - as the iron Arnie said.)) ✌️