[mod] Regula Magistri

On 6/23/2022 at 2:08 AM, Grey Cloud said:

[...]

It got to the pop up where you choose the region for the temples, I clicked on the Asian option and CTD.

Went back in game and luckily there was an auto save after the book had been read by the two vassals. Unfortunately the same thing happened at exactly the same point. I even tried one where I clicked on the Europe option but it still did a CTD.

[...]

If you are using the mod Carnalitas Dei, crashes will occur immediately after choosing holy sites. It is most likely a possibility with most religious mods that mess with holy sites, but the only mod mentioned here to definitely cause that crash was Carnalitas Dei.

If you are not using any other mods like that though, then I'm stumped.

4 minutes ago, Leafknight4 said:

If you are using the mod Carnalitas Dei, crashes will occur immediately after choosing holy sites. It is most likely a possibility with most religious mods that mess with holy sites, but the only mod mentioned here to definitely cause that crash was Carnalitas Dei.

If you are not using any other mods like that though, then I'm stumped.

Thanks for the input but I got past that by reloading then playing the game for a time before initialising RM. That worked and I played for a while again before another CTD unrelated to RM. I ended up abandoning that game as the crashes were starting to come thick and fast.

Never had any problems with C. Dei, last year or this. ?‍♂️ Certainly never had problems with CTDs.

RM is still doing my head in. I'm almost aged 60 in my current game and I can't get everything together to initialise RM. Wives dying, me struggling to possess something which qualifies as 'powerful' (tried with duchies), altering the inheritance laws on umpteen powerful vassals only to have half of them not produce daughters and the other half to be really young and not looking to die for decades.

I really cannot get my head around this 'powerful' thing. I had vassals with x counties who were flagged as powerful and vassals with the same number who weren't. I've had vassals with lower numbers than that who were powerful and vassals with higher numbers who were not.

Finally got this to work with a country in SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam area).

In a nutshell:

In order to use RM via the two marriages you need to find a country with polygamy and in order to get the two powerful vassals simply, quickly you need a small country  - in effect a duchy.

In order to start RM via changing the inheritance laws you need vassals who have a high enough opinion of you for the scheme to work and you need those vassals to have a daughter. Even if you you manage that then you are faced with either having to wait while the male dies and the daughter succeeds or with trying to kill the male to bring the daughter to power. The daughter also has to be an adult or you are faced with another wait.

With the original method of paying a price of money, prestige and piety you could play as any country and start RM more or less any time you wished. In some countries it could be difficult to raise one or more of the three requisites than in other countries but that was about your only obstacle.

Edited by Grey Cloud
On 6/24/2022 at 6:44 PM, Grey Cloud said:

I really cannot get my head around this 'powerful' thing. I had vassals with x counties who were flagged as powerful and vassals with the same number who weren't. I've had vassals with lower numbers than that who were powerful and vassals with higher numbers who were not.

As I recall, the criteria for "powerful" is that they must be landed. Depending on how powerful YOU are, it may also restrict you to County level or higher. Basically they need to be some flavor of ruler in their own right, not just married to one. Oh, and they have to be vassals of yours. (Which goes back to being landed. Landed nobles are Vassals, non-landed are just courtiers)

1 hour ago, Monedeath said:

As I recall, the criteria for "powerful" is that they must be landed. Depending on how powerful YOU are, it may also restrict you to County level or higher. Basically they need to be some flavor of ruler in their own right, not just married to one. Oh, and they have to be vassals of yours. (Which goes back to being landed. Landed nobles are Vassals, non-landed are just courtiers)

None of that contains any useful information.

I said that they held different numbers of counties so therefore they were landed.

County is the lowest tier so they have to be county level or higher.

They wouldn't hold the title and be the person shown as the powerful ruler if the title wasn't theirs.

They are obviously vassals of mine or I wouldn't be able to ask them to change the inheritance laws etc.

The issue has nothing to do with what constitutes a vassal and what constitutes a courier.

And just for the record, I edited the mod so it initialises the old way with the payment of gold, prestige and pity. I'm currently playing Uppland and had RM on the go relatively early and very simply and is back to being the great mod I remember from last year.

7 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

And just for the record, I edited the mod so it initialises the old way with the payment of gold, prestige and pity. I'm currently playing Uppland and had RM on the go relatively early and very simply and is back to being the great mod I remember from last year.

I'm glad you got the mod working the way you enjoy it, I myself have made a few tweaks in my own version (mostly balancing for schemes). So long as it lets you enjoy the mod, I'd encourage anyone to tailor it to their preferences. If you don't want the next update to overwrite your changes, however, I'd make the changes into a sub-mod so it properly overwrites the files, or at least document the changes you made to easily change it again.

Does the pilgrimage thing do anything? There is a condition about a holy site doing something about female children on one of the decisions but I've visited all the European sites and nothing seems to have happened.

Also I'm wondering how you are supposed to visit all the sites in one lifetime given the cooldown between opportunites (I'm immortal).

1 hour ago, Grey Cloud said:

Does the pilgrimage thing do anything? There is a condition about a holy site doing something about female children on one of the decisions but I've visited all the European sites and nothing seems to have happened.

Also I'm wondering how you are supposed to visit all the sites in one lifetime given the cooldown between opportunites (I'm immortal).

Pilgrimages don't do anything other than the base game piety increase.  The conditions about a holy site doing something about female children require the holy site to be owned/controlled by someone in the faith.

21 minutes ago, Darkmind_mc said:

to be owned/controlled by someone in the faith.

Ah, it all comes back to me now. ? That's the piece of the puzzle I was missing.

Thanks.

----------------------------

Next question.

How difficult would it be to set up one of the vanilla realms as Magistarian so you could start a game as ruler of that realm and hit the ground running so to speak?

Asking for a friend. :classic_ph34r:

On 6/27/2022 at 4:10 AM, Grey Cloud said:

None of that contains any useful information.

I said that they held different numbers of counties so therefore they were landed.

County is the lowest tier so they have to be county level or higher.

They wouldn't hold the title and be the person shown as the powerful ruler if the title wasn't theirs.

They are obviously vassals of mine or I wouldn't be able to ask them to change the inheritance laws etc.

The issue has nothing to do with what constitutes a vassal and what constitutes a courier.

County is not the lowest tier for feudal realms. Baronies and Cities(Mayors) are. They often serve under a county ruler.

As to the rest, Regula Magistri reacts poorly to being initialized in an already in progress game. If you are having problems and you didn't start the game with a (mutually) compatible version of RM running, then severely bugged gameplay can be expected.

Would need to go back through the patch notes to find the point where RM ceases to be compatible with itself in saved games, but I think it most recently happend when we jumped to version 0.9 so if your save started in RM 0.8x then that is probably your problem. As it is, I am still back in version of 1.5.1 of the base game finishing a playthrough from then when I have occasion to play.

County is not the lowest tier for feudal realms. Baronies and Cities(Mayors) are. They often serve under a county ruler.

And can you assign a barony or city?

As to the rest, Regula Magistri reacts poorly to being initialized in an already in progress game.

And how exactly does one initialise it in a game that isn't in progress?

If you are having problems and you didn't start the game with a (mutually) compatible version of RM running, then severely bugged gameplay can be expected.

None of that has anything to do with what I was posting about.

so if your save started in RM 0.8x then that is probably your problem.

I don't know what you are wittering about but I only started playing CK3 last week or the week before - the game is v1.6.0 and RM is whatever is the currently available.

Hi, I love this mod so far but feel I'm missing something:...

1. I can't seem to get past the poenitens level, except randomly I gain a trait for a few minutes then lose it again.  What are the mechanics here please?
  2. I can't enact any of the succession types.
  3. Is the faith thing broken maybe? I haven't converted, any interactions just convert people to catholicism and I don't have the option to convert to Haremocracy.

Any help greatly appreciated, I am a bear of little brain.  Thank you!

Edited by Ffyll
1 hour ago, Ffyll said:

Hi, I love this mod so far but feel I'm missing something:...

1. I can't seem to get past the poenitens level, except randomly I gain a trait for a few minutes then lose it again.  What are the mechanics here please?
  2. I can't enact any of the succession types.
  3. Is the faith thing broken maybe? I haven't converted, any interactions just convert people to catholicism and I don't have the option to convert to Haremocracy.

Any help greatly appreciated, I am a bear of little brain.  Thank you!

All three of these are from being the wrong faith. If you initialized the mod through the Free the Keeper of Souls decision this may be a bug, if you added one of the Magister traits with the console that's why you're running into issues.

@Grey Cloud, the requirement is that your wife and two of your powerful vassals be spellbound.  You can double dip by having your wife be a powerful vassal (as defined by the game, by having one of the five largest levies among your vassals).

The reason you need to start the playthrough with the mod enabled is because the mod heavily relies on global variables, and those are set on playthrough start.

@yoyoman69, I agree that Abice Maritus is way overpowered. Building in challenges is an ongoing issue.

Paelices can become lovers, there's even a stress-based AI event that will make them so.

46 minutes ago, bobbily said:

the requirement is that your wife and two of your powerful vassals be spellbound.

That requires that you have female powerful vassals which restricts which country you can play, does it not?

47 minutes ago, bobbily said:

a powerful vassal (as defined by the game, by having one of the five largest levies among your vassals).

And this requires farting about checking levy sizes for no good reason.

48 minutes ago, bobbily said:

The reason you need to start the playthrough with the mod enabled is because the mod heavily relies on global variables, and those are set on playthrough start.

I always start with my mods enabled except for the odd occasion when I fort to re-enable.

I'm happy enough now I got the mod starting the old way.

12 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

That requires that you have female powerful vassals which restricts which country you can play, does it not?

No, it just requires that you have a duchy with at least two vassals (baronies included). The vassal bit is new, but the old activation method also required a duchy. You can always tell who the powerful vassals are by the little gauntlet in beside their portrait.

It's true that smaller realms are easier to initialize from, since you can just seize baronies and effectively appoint your powerful vassals, but that seems reasonable. If you're trying to start as the King of France you should have a few hoops to jump through first.

I tried your mod when I got home it's great. Designations is great. Also the tab to see who is a slave is awesome. Helps when one doesn't want to check the encyclopedia. The offer thing helps a lot with what I been trying to do since it adds to the role-playing aspect of the game. Great work. 

13 hours ago, bobbily said:

All three of these are from being the wrong faith. If you initialized the mod through the Free the Keeper of Souls decision this may be a bug, if you added one of the Magister traits with the console that's why you're running into issues.

Hi Bobbily, thank you so much for your response!  I am indeed still catholic.  I initiated via the in-game decision after getting people to read the book and releasing the Keeper.  My PC died very soon (perhaps mid-way through the chain) - could that be it?  Is there a way to 'reset' the decision please?  I'd love to do this with my current emperor if possible.  No worries if not, thank you for your help!

6 hours ago, Ffyll said:

Hi Bobbily, thank you so much for your response!  I am indeed still catholic.  I initiated via the in-game decision after getting people to read the book and releasing the Keeper.  My PC died very soon (perhaps mid-way through the chain) - could that be it?  Is there a way to 'reset' the decision please?  I'd love to do this with my current emperor if possible.  No worries if not, thank you for your help!

I think there's supposed to be a decision that lets you inherit the Book, but that might require you to be the proper faith, so...probably restart, if you don't see the decision?

1 hour ago, Leafknight4 said:

I think there's supposed to be a decision that lets you inherit the Book, but that might require you to be the proper faith, so...probably restart, if you don't see the decision?

I'm thinking that the successor gets the chance to read the book shortly after the former ruler dies.  It happened to me the other week. I think I mentioned it in one of my posts moaning about this mod. IIRC I gave up on the game shortly after due to everything falling apart due to the short-reign penalties and whatnot. It was probably salvageable but it would have taken me in a direction I wasn't interested in. On topic: The RM handover works but what the game does about the handover is a different story.

10 hours ago, Ffyll said:

That'd do it. There should be an innocuous "Find a book to read" minor decision that should reinitialize things. It isn't something I tested extensively though, so you might have fallen through the cracks.