[mod] Regula Magistri

1. You should be able to assign concubines as guardians.  I'll check it tomorrow, but I don't think there's anything in the code to disallow it.

2. I'll take a look! 

3. Something similar is in the works, though less powerful. I'm trying to design more of an organic growth of Mulsa, to mimic the takeover of the world.

4. I used Carnalitas for the orgy, which should have suppressed the adultery notices.  Let me know if you're seeing them and I'll take a second look at the code.

5. I agree that men are kind of useless right now.  Flavour-wise them leading armies doesn't make sense, but I'll give this some thought.

The holy war issue sounds weird.  I'm planning to overhaul the religion as a whole in the coming weeks, and I'll make sure GHWs work.

A question:

Is it possible to still get this mod's full functionality if, after completing the mod's initialising event, you set up a new religion with its two custom tenets: Regula Magistri and Concubinocracy? This would allow you play with the mod whilst not being hard-wired to its Holy Sites and (generally hostile) relationships to other religions.

Yes, that should be feasible.  I've been coding in that direction, but haven't play-tested religion-switching yet.

The holy sites are hard-set though, and can't be changed without modding the code (this is a limitation of the base game).

50 minutes ago, bobbily said:

Yes, that should be feasible.  I've been coding in that direction, but haven't play-tested religion-switching yet.

The holy sites are hard-set though, and can't be changed without modding the code (this is a limitation of the base game).

Holy sites should be inherited from whatever base religion you're creating the religion as a 'heresy'/'reformation' of. So (assuming you started as a Norse character in Scandinavia), you could create a Norse-pagan reformation with Regula Magistri and Concubinocracy tenets. Likewise if you started in Western Europe you could create a heresy of Catholicism with these tenets. (You'd probably also need the harem marriage system.)

One problem, at least with the mod as it stands, is that the make-landed-Mulsa-a-Paelex decision appears to be hardwired to make the new Paelex Magisterian, rather than the Magister's religion (it assumes the two are one and the same).

Alright, this update is a big one.

Regula Magistri 0.4 Changelog.

Completely reworked the Regula Magistri Holy sites.
The fall of Jerusalem introduces a rot deep into both Christianity and Islam. Their fervor decreases by 10 for every year that you hold this holy site, while all followers of the Keeper of Souls see income from their vassals increase by 20%.

Alexandria unlocks an AI character interaction, Abice Maritus. Unlanded wives may now take their husband's titles, sending their spouse off to live with the nuns. All followers become slightly more attractive to members of the opposite sex.

Lesbos adjusts the gender of newborns, ensuring that 80% of births in your religion are female. All followers gain a small prowess and health boost.

Carthage provides a bonus to levy size and follower's piety. Also unlocks the Sanctifica Serva interactions, which allows MCs to make their Paelices immortal, at the cost of their own health.

Brescia allows Mulsae, Paelices and Dominae to perform the Fascinare scheme, adding the Mulsa trait to others in their court and dynasty. Slightly increases follower's diplomacy and lifestyle XP gain.

New Interactions:
Added a faction for foreign Mulsa: Servitude. Servitude factions seek to swear fealty to the Magister, and will wage war against their liege to do so.
    -Added a character interaction for the Magister to join an ongoing Servitude civil war (Target the defender).
Added a war type: Usurption. Winning the war transfers all vassals with the Mulsa trait to the Magister's realm.
Added a Mulsa interaction, "Revelum Secretum".  Will cause foreign Mulsas to disclose secrets from their court, or potentially create some.
Reformed the Head of Faith. The Magister is now the head of the faithful.
Added a new Head of Faith character interaction: Potestas non Transfunde. Magisters that have acquired the title Pontifex Carnalis can now publicly demand neighbouring independent, female Compeditae swear fealty to them (at the cost of a large amount of prestige, reduced based on rank and magister level). 
Added an event to entrance your wards and the wards of your mulsa, paelex, domina etc.

Misc.
Promoted all Paelices to the role of sister-wife. The concubinage is closed.
Added an effect to strip Magister traits from heathens, and another to give a penalty to magisters with unlanded wives/concubines.
Expanded the roster of Fascinare events.
Slowed the appearance of the aging process in Mulsae, Paelices and Dominae. Maybe she's born with it. Maybe it's demonic possession.

Bugfixes and Tweaks:
Fixed the Rapta Maritus requirements, and slightly tweaked the benefits for the Mulsa (adds callous and arbitrary traits, instead of deceitful).
Increased the difficulty of the Fascinare scheme against foreign characters, while providing a bonus when targeting people in your realm.
Corrected the holy order names.  Added a bunch of fresh orders to the rolls in the process.
Corrected the Head of Faith inheritance.

Known bugs:
Despite the flavour text, those that are one with the book don't die when the book is destroyed.
Abice maritus doesn't seem to fire on the AI side (works fine when the player triggers it).
4 hours ago, bobbily said:

Completely reworked the Regula Magistri Holy sites.

I think this is a good thing. Holding Rome was always going to be a red rag to a bull to the Catholic world, and taking Constantinople would likely means ongoing warfare with the Byzantines.

The fall of Jerusalem introduces a rot deep into both Christianity and Islam. Their fervor decreases by 10 for every year that you hold this holy site ...

This may be a tad OP.

Alexandria unlocks an AI character interaction, Abice Maritus. Unlanded wives may now take their husband's titles, sending their spouse off to live with the nuns. All followers become slightly more attractive to members of the opposite sex.

Would this include baron-level titles? It's always bugged me that CK3 doesn't seem to let you install your preferred barons, even after Holy War. Does the interaction also change the title to female-inheritance?

Lesbos adjusts the gender of newborns, ensuring that 80% of births in your religion are female.

Has this been play-tested to confirm that it actually works as intended? The Demonic Blood mod has similar functionality (lets you choose the sex) that seems to be very hit-or-miss in practice.

Incidentally, why Lesbos and Brescia? I would have thought Crete (Minoan civilisation), Babylon, and/or somewhere in the Euphrates delta (Sumerian civilisation) would be more appropriate.

The influx of interactions/etc aimed at Mulsa outside your realm has made me think of how players construct their realm/harem. I tend to try to claim concubines of good breeding stock, and then install them as vassals, as I conquer new territory. Do others go the other way, and entrance female rulers outside your realm and then bring them into your realm and harem?

First things first: Thank you for the mod! I found it through the collective and was delighted to see a ck3 mind control mod!

But the 0.4 changelog mentioned that the Magister should now also be the head of the faith automatically. That doesn't seem to be the case. 

Also, would it be possible to implement a modifier that makes Mulsa join your schemes even if the attraction modifier isn't enough? 

14 hours ago, Zenary said:

First things first: Thank you for the mod! I found it through the collective and was delighted to see a ck3 mind control mod!

But the 0.4 changelog mentioned that the Magister should now also be the head of the faith automatically. That doesn't seem to be the case. 

Also, would it be possible to implement a modifier that makes Mulsa join your schemes even if the attraction modifier isn't enough? 

The decision only convert you to regula faith so you still need to manually create head of faith title but i think is better this way since you can't create another faith if you are the head of faith that mean having to grant title to someone else meaning someone in your dynasty will be stuck with the old faith.

Also i would like if you could make so domina/paelax convert their heirs to mulsa and add magister competita title law, i like to make empires and grant them but since they are independet they revert back to normal succesion.

21 hours ago, LewdAlt1337 said:

Can anything be done to make adopting Hereditas Compedita easier? I run this mod alongside a cheat menu mod but it's hard to get to high crown authority. Also I don't know how to get rid of the requirement that says "You are an Independent Ruler"

You need to take the decision "Acquire the Regula Magistri".  Changing your laws will be done automatically.

The independent requirement just means that you don't have a liege.  You should be the highest lord in the land.

zargod, I wanted the benefit of holding Jerusalem to be worth the penalty of being a constant crusade target.  The values may need to be tweaked, but I think this is pretty appropriate.  Taking Jerusalem is easy, holding it is another thing entirely.

Brescia was chosen due to their being an ancient shrine to Minerva there irl, while Lesbos is one of several supposed homes of the Amazons (Themiscyra is too out of the way to be a practical spot). The gender effect seems to be working as intended, at least in my games.

Zenary, I may have been unclear.  The head of the faith is now the Magister, but you still have to create a faith head.  You're launching a new religion, and need to go through the usual game hoops to create a head of faith (think of it as consolidating your temporal power, or as a reward for conquering 2+ holy sites).

I'll look into the scheme acceptance, but it's going to be difficult to do without interfering with the base code.  I'm trying to keep my modifications to a minimum, to avoid conflicts with other mods.

Blai, I've been considering un-linking Hereditas Compeditae from the Magister's realm as well.  It's on the todo list. Your wards and those of your Mulsae/Paelices/Domina can get the Mulsa trait though a set of triggered events, so if you're not seeing the trait in your offspring make sure they have appropriate guardians (or let me know if there's a bug!).

8 hours ago, bobbily said:

Your wards and those of your Mulsae/Paelices/Domina can get the Mulsa trait though a set of triggered events, so if you're not seeing the trait in your offspring make sure they have appropriate guardians (or let me know if there's a bug!).

There is some random courtiers and one daughter with mulsa trait, im sure some of my paelices and domina even my character have educated a bunch offsprings, might be compatibility issues on my end or they are just charming random courtiers. Also bonuses/penalties from concubinocracy tenet is working regardless if you have it or not.

That sounds like the output from Brescia (they do kind of charm people at random).  The upbringing script fires an event, which is pretty difficult to miss.

It seems to be working perfectly on my end, which might suggest some sort of conflict. I'm not sure what could cause it though; the code is pretty standalone. It does require the ward to be under the relevant supervision from age 15 on though, so if you're swapping around at the last minute it might not fire.

Thanks for the heads up about the tenet.  It'll be fixed in 0.5.

14 hours ago, bobbily said:

It does require the ward to be under the relevant supervision from age 15 on though, so if you're swapping around at the last minute it might not fire.

How well does that work with also making them witches (which requires a witch guardian until the event for that hits -- on or around their 15th birthday, I think)? Given that the Magister religion is witchcraft-positive, I'd think that we'd want the two to be compatible.

Does the change to succession law only affect your direct vassals? It should probably affect all vassals in your realm. That way you don't have a billion male vassals running around because they didn't get hit by the succession law change.

Edit: It'd also be cool if females following the Regula religion had a chance to gain the Mulsa trait. Not very high and probably locked behind a holy site (I'd suggest Jerusalem because it's a cooler effect than currently is on Jerusalem), but it seems like something that would be cool and thematic.

Also, if you can, you should have the inheritance change modify title specific inheritance laws as well so that male preference or male only laws on specific tiles instead of as realm law become the special laws too.

Women with the Mulsa trait should always accept court invites. Not sure about whatever else, but definitely always court invites. I understand them not always accepting vassalage because you have a decent chance on any random ruler who's of lower rank, but not accepting court invites really sucks when your mulsa has all sorts of really nice claims.

Alright, 0.5 is out!  The focus of this update is expansion of the mod to vassal MCs.  You can now try to take down the HRE, Byzantine empire, etc. from within.  I've also added the ability to crush the armies and independence of female rulers, and made a number of quality of life tweaks.

Full changelog:

Added a new type of vassalization war: Domination. Crush the independence and will of nearby female rulers, then add them to your harem.
Enabled the Regula Magistri for non-independent MCs.  You can now work to take down the HRE or Byzantine empire from within, slowly suborning your liege's vassals. Note: They WILL try to depose you. Be prepared for war.
Implemented the Hereditas Compedita Inheritance for Compeditae that are not your vassals (both independent rulers and those sworn to another character). Unlike in your realm, only the Compedita's laws will change; those above and below them will keep their default inheritance laws.
Added a few random events, linked to either a fight within the harem or generous vassals that wish to give you gold.

Bugfixes and Tweaks:
Overwrote the adultery and conversion triggers. It should be impossible for spouses to cheat or lose faith now.
Made it so extramarital sex by the MC will not cause anger their spouses.
The AI will now use the Abice Maritus interaction when possible. If you hold Alexandria expect to periodically see female Compenditae deposing their husbands.
Fixed an issue with wards not gaining the Witch trait when appropriate.
Finally fixed the issues around inheritance of the Regula Magistri.  The event will now fire 1-4 weeks after the death of a previous Magister.
On 2/4/2021 at 11:53 AM, bobbily said:

Alright, 0.5 is out!  The focus of this update is expansion of the mod to vassal MCs.  You can now try to take down the HRE, Byzantine empire, etc. from within.  I've also added the ability to crush the armies and independence of female rulers, and made a number of quality of life tweaks.

Full changelog:

Added a new type of vassalization war: Domination. Crush the independence and will of nearby female rulers, then add them to your harem.
Enabled the Regula Magistri for non-independent MCs.  You can now work to take down the HRE or Byzantine empire from within, slowly suborning your liege's vassals. Note: They WILL try to depose you. Be prepared for war.
Implemented the Hereditas Compedita Inheritance for Compeditae that are not your vassals (both independent rulers and those sworn to another character). Unlike in your realm, only the Compedita's laws will change; those above and below them will keep their default inheritance laws.
Added a few random events, linked to either a fight within the harem or generous vassals that wish to give you gold.

Bugfixes and Tweaks:
Overwrote the adultery and conversion triggers. It should be impossible for spouses to cheat or lose faith now.
Made it so extramarital sex by the MC will not cause anger their spouses.
The AI will now use the Abice Maritus interaction when possible. If you hold Alexandria expect to periodically see female Compenditae deposing their husbands.
Fixed an issue with wards not gaining the Witch trait when appropriate.
Finally fixed the issues around inheritance of the Regula Magistri.  The event will now fire 1-4 weeks after the death of a previous Magister.

Uhhh, it doesn't work, like it doesn't display the decision to get the book, did the way to acquire this "power" change over the updates? If so, then how do we get the trait?

Thanks Hamakabula, glad to hear that you're enjoying it!

M4rocks, where is the mod failing?  In the initial decision to get the book or the transfer of traits to your heir?

There are three ways to gain the Magister trait:

1. The initial Important Decision "Acquire the Regula Magistri"

2. Via a spontaneous event, after the death of a previous Magister.  Will automatically fire 7-28 days after the death of the previous character, or quarterly afterwards if there's some issue.

3. By selecting the Minor Decision "Find a Book to Read".  Used to re-initialize the mod after chucking the Regula Magistri into a fire, or when switching characters through the menu (shouldn't be visible if a Magister exists).

All initialization events require that the MC be older than 16 and male.

3 hours ago, bobbily said:

Thanks Hamakabula, glad to hear that you're enjoying it!

M4rocks, where is the mod failing?  In the initial decision to get the book or the transfer of traits to your heir?

There are three ways to gain the Magister trait:

1. The initial Important Decision "Acquire the Regula Magistri"

2. Via a spontaneous event, after the death of a previous Magister.  Will automatically fire 7-28 days after the death of the previous character, or quarterly afterwards if there's some issue.

3. By selecting the Minor Decision "Find a Book to Read".  Used to re-initialize the mod after chucking the Regula Magistri into a fire, or when switching characters through the menu (shouldn't be visible if a Magister exists).

All initialization events require that the MC be older than 16 and male.

Theres no decision to become the Magister, also, is there anyway for the AI to get this trait (Without cheating, of course)

Looks like whatever you're running is essential.  It just crashes when I try to load that save.

Your best bet is probably to try the Regula Magistri mod alone, then add in until it no longer works.  That should tell you where the conflict is, and you can then put Regula Magistri below that mod in the load order.

Kind of weird that you don't even see the acquire decision though.  That doesn't really interact with any game code.