[mod] Regula Magistri

On 12/14/2021 at 8:18 PM, bobbily said:

Alright, a new version is ready. Get it here!

Changelog for 0.81
Added a new title succession law, Compeditae Elective. Power passes from the Magister to a son, cousin, or uncle, according to the votes of landed Mulsae, Paelices, etc. in the realm.
-Note: This succession law will affect all the player's directly held titles, and effectively serves as an improved form of Primogeniture. It's intended to be a late game advance, and can be enabled via the appropriately priced "Adopt the Compeditae Elective Succession Law" decision.
Added a new title succession law, Heritament, to ensure that Compeditae elective works as it intuitively should, instead of how Paradox implemented title succession laws. This law is automatically applied to all the player's titles, so long as Compeditae Elective is in place.

This update is backwards compatible with 0.8 saves.

Awesome.

One minor bug I've already encountered, first Orgy after the upgrade to 0.81 and the "special guest" for the event brought along to the orgy by one of my Mulsa was one of my Paelex wives.

One possible suggestion on the Fascinare scheme for the Compeditae is to see if the CK3 game engine will allow you to vary the cooldown timer based on which trait (and/or even number of holy sites held) the Compeditae has.

Edit: Also seeing a huge performance drop after adopting the Compediate Elective law. (edit 2: Things settled out after a little bit, it still "chugs" on occasion, but I'm guessing the initial drop had something to do with a lot of AI "behind the scenes" activity going on in response to the changes made.. and the revolt I had happen at the same time)

Edited by Monedeath

@yancralowe, I'll add it to the to-fix list.  Thanks!

@spoons13, I'm not sure.  Once you have the magister traits everything should be fine though. Just make sure you keep the two core Regula Magistri traits, as their descriptions suggest they're required for a bunch of mod actions.

@Monedeath, I'll tweak the invite code to disallow that. Varying the fascinare cooldown is an interesting option, but I'd have to see how it feels, playerwise (shorter isn't always better).

I'm not sure what's up with the performance drop.  I'm not doing anything too demanding with the checks, but it might have something to do with the voting system.  How many electors does your realm have?

@Durante, the mod started out with concubines, and that is still my preference.  Unfortunately, due to how the inheritance code works they need to be wives for titles to pass fluidly.

7 hours ago, bobbily said:

@Monedeath, I'll tweak the invite code to disallow that. Varying the fascinare cooldown is an interesting option, but I'd have to see how it feels, playerwise (shorter isn't always better).

I'm not sure what's up with the performance drop.  I'm not doing anything too demanding with the checks, but it might have something to do with the voting system.  How many electors does your realm have?

As of right now, 82 electors, 362 candidates. ?

Another "branching option" on the Fascinare utilization by the AI is yet another implementation of conditionals. Give the Domina, Paelex, Mulsa different limits on who they can target. The lower the tier, the smaller the range of people the AI can target. If the Mulsa are running amok converting a bunch of unlanded persons, it doesn't impact things too much, at least until it comes time for the orgy(and possible pregnancies), or until the situation where that unlanded member of (insert dynasty here) inherits a title and becomes a Paelex.

What follows isn't so much a bug, as it is a possible code oversight, unless you did so intentionally.

After checking with some other mod authors, vassals are not considered part of the court of their liege. The _character_interactions.info file in the base game bears it out as well.

If I'm following the logic of the interaction code for the Fascinare scheme correctly. The only way an AI will target someone that is landed(and thus either a vassal, or independent ruler in their own right) would be either if they're attracted to their target, or through luck of the draw on targeting a fellow dynasty member. Otherwise, all they can do is go after the character before they gain a landed title, and only if that person is in the same court as they are.

If we pair it with the "branching" option touched on above. I'd probably suggest the Mulsa have a long cooldown on their ability to use Fascinare, and they be restricted to their own vassals, courtiers, dynasty members, and persons they're attracted to (of the same faith). Paelex get the religion restriction lifted. The Domina can go after peer_vassals as well. 

Edited by Monedeath
15 hours ago, bobbily said:

@spoons13, I'm not sure.  Once you have the magister traits everything should be fine though. Just make sure you keep the two core Regula Magistri traits, as their descriptions suggest they're required for a bunch of mod actions.

hmmmmm alright i'll try both ways and let you know. thanks for the reply

@Monedeath, that explains it then.  I'll plan some tweaks to limit the number of electors.  That should reduce the calculations some.

The AI fascinare ideas are interesting, and I think it's definitely reasonable for a ruler to target their female vassals.  That bit of code could definitely use some tweaking.

@yancralowe, I'll look into that, probably in the context of making some custom buildings. Not likely soon, but I'll put it on the todo list.

22 hours ago, Haight said:

Should Mulsa be trying to kill other Mulsa in the same harem? I'm getting a lot of plots. 

They're loyal to the Magister, not each other.  There is a bonus to opinion if both have Mulsa, Paelex, etc., but that's it.  I'd expect some jostling for position, especially in larger harems or if you've got the Sacred Lies tenet.

On 12/17/2021 at 7:19 PM, spoons13 said:

if i take the decision to find the regula magestri and then immediately reform the religion to add more desirable tenets to it, will i lose the event chain that's supposed to start?

You can create a new Reguli Magistri faith as long as you keep the other 2 main tenets in, you will keep the chain. I've done it in 2 of ,my playthroughs already and works fine, using 0x8 version. Do note that with more tenens and doctrines, which I  use, creating a new religion will cost much more than usual so learning education with the -50% faith creation cost comes in handy. 

On 12/23/2021 at 8:12 AM, Gagi114 said:

You can create a new Reguli Magistri faith as long as you keep the other 2 main tenets in, you will keep the chain. I've done it in 2 of ,my playthroughs already and works fine, using 0x8 version. Do note that with more tenens and doctrines, which I  use, creating a new religion will cost much more than usual so learning education with the -50% faith creation cost comes in handy. 

Oh that's awesome thank god i couldn't imagine having to go through the same gameplay twice. Thanks for the advice too that's usually what i do, cuz with the more tenets mod, my faith ends up costing like 25k piety lol

So... are your counties supposed to convert back to their old religion within a few years of converting to the Regula Magistri faith? If so, how are you supposed to prevent it? If not, I think I have a bug to report.

I'm trying out this mod as a simple Count attempting to spread his influence via hypnotizing and seducing women and things are not going well. Everyone having -60 opinion because the Faith is Evil to pretty much every other faith in the land and Fundamentalist for the x2 to negative opinion is problematic - and then the peasants all convert to Catholicism without an event even going off, giving me a huge penalty to popular opinion and instantly causing peasant revolt factions to form against me? Very annoying.

I'm running this mod, Carnalitas, CBO, Physical Attributes, Debug Toggle (Less Invasive, Cities of Wonders 2 (for 1.4.*), VIET, Nameplates, and Full-Screen Barbershop.

EDIT: After thinking on it a while and reading about religious conversion in base CK3 (something I never really played with prior to this mod) it seems when your liege is trying to convert your county's religion there is no warning or way to slow down or stop it, so that's probably what happened. Seems playing as a Count in someone else's lands isn't really supported well by the systems in this mod:/ I think I'll restart as a more independent ruler, then.

Edited by LangyMD

So, I had some thoughts about this mod while having some difficulty dealing with the immediate response from converting. An option to convert to the Regula Magestri religion in secret could be interesting, ala the 'secret religion'/cult mechanic in CKII or this mod. You wouldn't gain some of the benefits of the full conversion, like only females inheriting your vassal's titles, but you'd be able to slowly convert some of your friends and allies to the religion so that when you do reveal all you aren't immediately surrounded only by people hostile to you. The CK3 Secrets system would handle the secret aspect of the religion really well.

3 hours ago, LangyMD said:

So, I had some thoughts about this mod while having some difficulty dealing with the immediate response from converting. An option to convert to the Regula Magestri religion in secret could be interesting, ala the 'secret religion'/cult mechanic in CKII or this mod. You wouldn't gain some of the benefits of the full conversion, like only females inheriting your vassal's titles, but you'd be able to slowly convert some of your friends and allies to the religion so that when you do reveal all you aren't immediately surrounded only by people hostile to you. The CK3 Secrets system would handle the secret aspect of the religion really well.

That sounds like a GREAT idea! and you could maybe have certain benefits of both religions? i wish i knew how to make mods

I don't think that CK3 has the infrastructure to handle secret religions yet. I could be wrong, because I know the cryptoreligious mod is a thing, but I don't know how nicely that will play with a modded religion like this one, especially with all the special effects and body changes. 

Hopefully, Paradox decides to release a Monks & Mystics style DLC for III too.

On 12/27/2021 at 10:23 PM, LangyMD said:

Yeah that would be perfect for this style of play. 

On 12/22/2021 at 12:43 PM, bobbily said:

They're loyal to the Magister, not each other.  There is a bonus to opinion if both have Mulsa, Paelex, etc., but that's it.  I'd expect some jostling for position, especially in larger harems or if you've got the Sacred Lies tenet.

I looked into it, but many of them have 100 relations with each other; they're just rivals. 

Perhaps an event which could fire with some decent cooldown that allows Mulsa to end rivalries with each other if they have +50 relations or higher, as they both serve the same master?

14 hours ago, Haight said:

I'm getting my Paelax primary wife asking me if I've taken a lover... I have like a hundred other wives. Is that intended?

Given how deeply Paradox has interwoven cheating events into this game infidelity must have rated really well in focus group testing.

I'll see if I can figure out what's firing to bring up this event.

@LangyMD, I like the idea of a secret-based proto-religion.  No promises, but I'll take a look at the mod you linked and see how feasible it would be to implement.  

On 12/31/2021 at 1:06 AM, Haight said:

I'm getting my Paelax primary wife asking me if I've taken a lover... I have like a hundred other wives. Is that intended?

I've only had that trigger when I took on a lover who wasn't a Paelex, or otherwise married to me.

Not sure if that's intended, but after my first encounter of having 50-some Paelex spouses getting pissed over the one lover, I stopped doing that outside of the existing circle.

Edited by Monedeath
9 hours ago, Monedeath said:

I've only had that trigger when I took on a lover who wasn't a Paelex, or otherwise married to me.

Not sure if that's intended, but after my first encounter of having 50-some Paelex spouses getting pissed over the one lover, I stopped doing that outside of the existing circle.

My primary wife is also my soulmate; perhaps this affects it?

So I've edited some of the files on my copy of the mod to make as much as I can trigger off of the *doctrines* rather than the RM religion - That way I can be part of the Christian group while still having my kinky harem and mind control. Extending that out, we could do that for any faith, right?