9 hours ago, Joehot said:

How do you get it set-up and what computer specs do you need for it to work?

There are two versions of Hook 5.  There is the Free/Basic and Paid. The difference is The paid gives you the ability to use Hair Physx for the most part.

You can get the latest free version here.  However you need to setup a patreon account with hook5project to get the latest paid version.  There are instructions there.

• 1 month later...

Well then maybe you should ask the author of Hook5 why he doesnt provide what you want instead of posting it here.

I was merely trying to explain the phenomenon, based on over 30 years in software development. 

In fact, professional companies tend to hire people for writing the documentation because the developers are too busy, too expensive and not necessarily any good at it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question in regards to hook 5.... so I have the paid version of hook 5, and I had downloaded custom cums that belong to _hook5data.  but my cum just turns into this shadow figure or a black blotch.. anyway to fix this? and how does _hook5data work? the folder I mean, because I can't get anything inside there to run :/

8 hours ago, Bunnybong said:

I have a question in regards to hook 5.... so I have the paid version of hook 5, and I had downloaded custom cums that belong to _hook5data.  but my cum just turns into this shadow figure or a black blotch.. anyway to fix this? and how does _hook5data work? the folder I mean, because I can't get anything inside there to run :/

Just save the "_hoo5folder" in your Activemod.

There should also be cum textures with associated _pass files, they also go in ActiveMod. Check in those _pass.txt that the path to _hook5folder is correct (it should be something like: "stage2: _hook5data \" subfolder "\" texture_norm" etc)

12 hours ago, boomshanka said:

Best of luck getting a definitive answer. When I asked why there were zero instructions on making something I paid for work, I was told that coders don't like to write them (see above).

I got things sort of working by moving the files into the AM folder instead, and deleting the image files 00 and 01.

It might also be something to do with your pass files not pointing to the correct folders? But that's just a guess given there are NO INSTRUCTIONS.

thanks for the reality answer, yeah I've tried everything.  everything in the pass file points to a dds file that is in the right folder, however none of the stages points towards the png file, I wonder if that is the case, and which stage do I put it in?

so just delete the png files? of sperm00 and sperm01?

[pass]
name = CustomModel
stage2 = _hook5data\sperm\sperm00_N.dds
stage3 = _hook5data\sperm\sperm_S.dds
stage4 = 
tessellation_level = 0

You must be using a different version than me. My first reads as:

[pass]
name = CustomCum2
stage3 = _hook5data\sperm\S2.dds
stage4 =  
cull_mode = -1

The 'name' apparently does not matter, as long as the _pass name is the same as the .png and .txf --- I'm having no issues. All of your main .png textures are loose, and not in a sub folder? I've found out a LOT of overlays won't read in a sub-folder.  I assume your .txf are set to "RGBA_8888" "AlphaBlend", anything else will give you issues with semi-transparent textures.

1 hour ago, nikoli grimm said:

You must be using a different version than me. My first reads as:

[pass]
name = CustomCum2
stage3 = _hook5data\sperm\S2.dds
stage4 =  
cull_mode = -1

The 'name' apparently does not matter, as long as the _pass name is the same as the .png and .txf --- I'm having no issues. All of your main .png textures are loose, and not in a sub folder? I've found out a LOT of overlays won't read in a sub-folder.  I assume your .txf are set to "RGBA_8888" "AlphaBlend", anything else will give you issues with semi-transparent textures.

yes everything is at it's correct spots, sperm00_pass - sperm18_pass are all in active mod folder and not in the _hook5data folder.  

I'm currently using a !customskin

Anyways I just tried your text, it works!!! thank u so much! I don't know if it was the Custom name, I'm pretty sure I needed the cull mode =-1, because it was displaying dark stains on clothes, but nothing on the model's skin!

there's actually a written guide for Hook5 that someone has translated from Russian, but the link to it was lost with ModsGarden.

I see that people here are still, for the lack of a better word, stumbling in the dark. I'm going to explain a few things to avoid further confusion.

name — this defines the 'name' of the shader that's being used for the surface. it's important to get it right, because using the wrong shader causes glitches. in the case of sperm textures it should be either CustomCum or CustomCum2, depending on the version of the game (7.5 or VX, respectively).

stage2 — normal map, which contains information about how each pixel in the texture is lit, depending on the direction of the light, and may also contain the height map.

stage3 — specular map, which controls how reflective each pixel in the texture is, contains glow mask, and may also contain baked ambient occlusion map.

stage4 — subsurface scattering, which controls how light 'scatters' when falling onto the skin (since in reality the skin is not 100% opaque). this can only be used in CustomSkin shader, so you don't need this line for sperm textures.

cull_mode — defines which side of the surface is rendered first, or if it is rendered at all.

-1 = default (uses game's own internal setting)

0 = render both sides

1 = render frontface

2 = render backface

3 = first frontface, then backface

4 = first backface, then frontface (this one is bugged and crashes the game, so I don't suggest using it).

obviously, you don't (or, at least, you shouldn't) need to use this option for sperm textures. it's especially pointless to use cull_mode = -1, since it's the same as not having this option in the pass-file.

the most common cause of glitches with pass-files is when the defined path in one or more stages is incorrect.

On 10/8/2020 at 1:34 PM, boomshanka said:

Best of luck getting a definitive answer. When I asked why there were zero instructions on making something I paid for work, I was told that coders don't like to write them (see above).

I got things sort of working by moving the files into the AM folder instead, and deleting the image files 00 and 01.

It might also be something to do with your pass files not pointing to the correct folders? But that's just a guess given there are NO INSTRUCTIONS.

I don't think this has anything to do with the profession. pervokpetr is just a massive dickhead.

13 hours ago, Cold Irony said:

there's actually a written guide for Hook5 that someone has translated from Russian, but the link to it was lost with ModsGarden.

I see that people here are still, for the lack of a better word, stumbling in the dark. I'm going to explain a few things to avoid further confusion.

name — this defines the 'name' of the shader that's being used for the surface. it's important to get it right, because using the wrong shader causes glitches. in the case of sperm textures it should be either CustomCum or CustomCum2, depending on the version of the game (7.5 or VX, respectively).

stage2 — normal map, which contains information about how each pixel in the texture is lit, depending on the direction of the light, and may also contain the height map.

stage3 — specular map, which controls how reflective each pixel in the texture is, contains glow mask, and may also contain baked ambient occlusion map.

stage4 — subsurface scattering, which controls how light 'scatters' when falling onto the skin (since in reality the skin is not 100% opaque). this can only be used in CustomSkin shader, so you don't need this line for sperm textures.

cull_mode — defines which side of the surface is rendered first, or if it is rendered at all.

0 = render both sides

1 = render frontface

2 = render backface

4 = first backface, then frontface (this one is bugged and crashes the game, so I don't suggest using it).

obviously, you don't (or, at least, you shouldn't) need to use this option for sperm textures. it's especially pointless to use cull_mode = -1, since it's the same as not having this option in the pass-file.

the most common cause of glitches with pass-files is when the defined path in one or more stages is incorrect.

Thank you so much for clarifying that for me and maybe a lot of us! Much Appreciated!

so that makes much sense that I had the sperm set to 7.5 rather than for vx!

13 hours ago, Cold Irony said:

0 = render both sides

1 = render frontface

2 = render backface

For me I find the best look using cull_mode = 0. 

That said one thing I noticed is the Cum from the First Person cumshot mode looks much better than the CUM activated by an orgasm. The one activated by the orgasm looks like blocks of pixels on the body.  Curious if you have any clue why there is such a huge difference between the two.

1 hour ago, hdiddy said:

For me I find the best look using cull_mode = 0. 

That said one thing I noticed is the Cum from the First Person cumshot mode looks much better than the CUM activated by an orgasm. The one activated by the orgasm looks like blocks of pixels on the body.  Curious if you have any clue why there is such a huge difference between the two.

can't help you with this, unfortunately. I've been hearing about issues with cum textures ever since people started migrating over to VX, but since I stayed on 7.5, I never encountered this problem.

try double-checking everything that could be going wrong, one step at a time, and isolate the problem. but it could also be the issue with Hook5 itself, or with VX, since I heard the author talk about glitches with cum textures in update posts.

Hi, just joined the club. Upon searching for the MG forum I stumbled upon loverslab.

When using VX you can have your cumshot files in a separate ActiveMod folder. Use the name=CustomCum2 shader in your pass files and take care that the normal and specular texture path is correctly given for the stage2 and stage3 e.g.:

[pass]
name = CustomCum2
stage2 = _hook5data\sperm\mouthdrip01_n.dds
stage3 = _hook5data\sperm\sperm_S.dds
stage4 =

I have zero texture problems with VX.

@hdiddy

I don't know exactly what is causing the blockiness, but as far as I know that might have something to do with the normal maps applied in your pass files. What I found is that you can't use any shader on the particle effects like cumshot, enema etc. I tried to do that and they are rendered invisible. The textures that use the pass files are: cum_anus01, cum_vagina01, liquiddrop01, liquidjet01, mouthdrip01 and sperm00 to sperm18 at least as far as I know.

I am an end user not a programmer. So almost all of the terminology used in the _level_definition is meaningless to me. I would just like some help in reducing how dark the shadows are in a room. I don't want to turn them off. Please if anyone could provide a step by step, I would greatly appreciate it. I am using VX with the paid version of H5.

So what are you saying if it's not using a Mod_ prefix, it scales the textures back down even if they are 4k? I don't know if that's true. Sorry for my ignorance if Im wrong, but Mod_ prefix or not, whatever res the texture is that's what the game loads (assuming you have 4x mod active, it's the reason you have resolution mismatch between face and body sometimes causing the weird face bug.) I'd be curious to know what Mod_ prefix is really use for though.

@IFlashDi Hi, Correct my if I am wrong but I think the stockings aren't compatible with hook5 as far as I remember. That's why you have to add skin layers in the custom skin to add tattoos and other decals if you want to use them with the hook5 skin system. The way I understand hook5 is that it intercepts the VX executables shader output and replaces them with newer more modern shaders and adds shaders to the rendering pipeline like PBR and so on. That's why pervokpetr said in his thread on MG that he can only do so much to improve the graphics of VX. Displacement for clothes for example don't work as well as applied to the body of the characters. So if you load tattoos, tanlines etc. in the Customizer they will all be replaced by the textures you load via the skin system of hook5. So it's either hook5 skins or the stock skins of VX. If you want to have stockings on your character, you have to make hook5 skins layers out of them and add them as a layer in hook5 to your feet and your body. I think there was a compatible hook5 stockings pack on MG. By the way, every texture that you want to exchange in your game with hook5 compatible ones must be ActiveMod enabled. The names for those textures have to have the name specified in the Mod_Orig.bs file in the Skipts.zip (\Scripts\Shared\) archive found in the Archives folder of VX.

@the_w I don't use the free version of Hook5 but I think there was an updated version on pervokpetrs Patreon page. I don't know if using CustomCum2 in your pass files would change anything.