View File

Pooled Shouts

Description

Shouts are pooled together. Unlike vanilla where you need to wait for the cooldown to expire and unlike individual shout cooldown mods where each shout cools down separately, with pooled shouts you can use the same shout more than once. So for eg you can do a wuld, another wuld and then do a fus ro dah in quick succession as long as you have enough 'voice pool' remaining. It's more like casting spells from a mana pool. This might allow for interesting combos. Because of the implementation of using an unused actor value as the 'shout pool' it might also allow for the creation of potions and enchantments that increase the size of the voice pool or increase the regen rate of the pool or instantly restore a portion of the pool. Or vice versa, debuffs to those aspects. You can gain shout experience by starting off with a small pool and gain pool size every time you unlock a shout. This means you can't immediately go to high gate ruin and learn storm call because you won't be able to cast it anyway. 

You can customize the position, transparency & fill direction of the shout meter in the Mcm.

The colors can be changed by modifying the json MeterColors.json. Use a site like: https://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/RGB_Color.html to pick a color and convert it to decimal and change the corresponding value in the json. 

0 = Exhausted - The shout pool is exhausted and you don't have enough pool to use any words. Default Red.

1 = Level 1 - You have enough pool to use the first word. Default yellow.

2 = Level 2 - You have enough pool to use the second word. Default green.

3 = Level 3 - The meter is full.

Experience

As you unlock more shouts you'll gain more 'voice pool' to use. This makes useless shouts just a little bit more desirable for the extra pool they provide. You can set your 'starting pool' and 'pool per word' in the Mcm. You'll need to sleep after unlocking a word to gain the extra pool. 

Why Bother?

For the lolz I guess. I think it might be a little more interesting this way.

Vanilla cooldown is a bit boring. And it's got the 'elixir of life' effect. Meaning you build this mentality of only using shouts when you need them because otherwise they'll be in cooldown and you'll be fucked. And so you kind of end up never using them. 

Individual shout cooldowns I find pretty OP. Enter combat, cast absolutely every shout you have and obliterate the enemy with a massive alpha strike. All shouts cooldown separately so you might as well. The sooner you shout the sooner you'll be able to use that shout again. 

I think pooled shouts might strike a more balanced strategic effect where you can still be badass when you want to. 

Caveats

The mod will 'allow' you to shout up to the max word you've learned even if you don't have enough pool to cover the cost of that word but the actual spell effect fired will only be what the pool can cover. Eg: You know all 3 words of Fus Ro Dah but only have enough pool to cast Fus. You can hold down the button and she will say 'Fus Ro Dah' but only Fus effect will be fired. I can not find a way to limit the number of words your character speaks when she shouts but at least the effect fired is correct. SetNthWord does not appear to work. I'm not sure I'd use it even if it did as it'd probably change the description in the magic menu and confuse people. 

Incompatible

• Obviously other shout mods like individual shout cooldowns. 
  • Mods that have broken shouts also aren't supported. Shouts must have 3 words otherwise it's sort of broken. Try to unlock a broken shout and see for yourself. Broken shouts shouldn't mess things up but they won't behave like normal pooled shouts. 
  • Anything that modifies the unused actor variable LastFlattered. I'm currently not aware of any other mod that uses it. 

Requirements

PapyrusUtil

SKSE

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    06/02/2020
  • Category
  • Requires
    PapyrusUtil, SKSE
  • Special Edition Compatible

View File

26 minutes ago, expertgamer said:

What if instead of only having Fus effect fired, it will fire all but stops you from shouting again until the pool empties.

Think of it as the dovahkiin reaching their limit and has to rest all the way up. Also avoiding the caveat you just described.

You mean not be able to shout again until the pool fills to max? 

I dunno. I think 'it's fine' the way it is tbh. Plus I don't want to go start adding a load of conditional code to it. Want to keep it as snappy as possible. 

5 minutes ago, Corsayr said:

Does it require a new game?

Honestly, I'm not certain but I think it would be fine.

Hmm, I'm guessing this wouldn't work with Ordinator and Thunderchild?

Ordinator's speech perks has an effect that:

1. Grants a chance to reduce shout cooldown to 3 sec,
  2. Trigger a previous shout when you shout.
  3. Grants speech exp based on shout cooldown.

Thunderchild just adds additional shout by linking the existing shouts together. (e.g. Fus Toor Shul)

I like this concept. i think it would be good to expand it so when you get to higher shouting skill, you can chain full shouts. For instance, do a Fuz Ro Dah to blow an enemy back, then an immediate Wuld Nah Kest to get to him before he can recover.

5 hours ago, Vylvie said:

Hmm, I'm guessing this wouldn't work with Ordinator and Thunderchild?

Ordinator's speech perks has an effect that:

1. Grants a chance to reduce shout cooldown to 3 sec,
  2. Trigger a previous shout when you shout.
  3. Grants speech exp based on shout cooldown.

Thunderchild just adds additional shout by linking the existing shouts together. (e.g. Fus Toor Shul)

Anything that sets the voice recovery time is going to be pretty sketchy as that's how this mod works. So those ordinator perks sound like they might not gel well. I don't see it messing things up either though. Compatibility would be easier on the ordinator side though. Rather than me trying to detect if/when these perks apply. 

Anything that just adds more shouts should be fine. Though unlocking them won't contribute to pool size/experience but that's pretty easy to fix (by adding them to a formlist).

4 hours ago, jfraser said:

I like this concept. i think it would be good to expand it so when you get to higher shouting skill, you can chain full shouts. For instance, do a Fuz Ro Dah to blow an enemy back, then an immediate Wuld Nah Kest to get to him before he can recover.

Well you can already pretty much do this. There is a slight delay before you're allowed to switch shouts or shout again. I think that's something built into the game. But you can currently Wuld-nah-kest, fus-ro-dah within 1/2/3 seconds as long as you have enough voice pool to cover the costs of both. 

3 hours ago, Monoman1 said:

Anything that sets the voice recovery time is going to be pretty sketchy as that's how this mod works. So those ordinator perks sound like they might not gel well. I don't see it messing things up either though. Compatibility would be easier on the ordinator side though. Rather than me trying to detect if/when these perks apply. 

Anything that just adds more shouts should be fine. Though unlocking them won't contribute to pool size/experience but that's pretty easy to fix (by adding them to a formlist).

Well you can already pretty much do this. There is a slight delay before you're allowed to switch shouts or shout again. I think that's something built into the game. But you can currently Wuld-nah-kest, fus-ro-dah within 1/2/3 seconds as long as you have enough voice pool to cover the costs of both. 

nice. i read it as only being able to do one word in those bursts. 

I'm going to avoid messing too much with this for now due to having a few other shout mods installed (Ordinator, Individualized Cooldowns, Shout, etc.) but I wanted to say I think this is a very interesting approach and hope you keep polishing it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 5:15 PM, Monoman1 said:

well, @Vylvie thunderchild does have at least 5 ways of altering the voice recovery time(not counting some of the Empowered versions of shouts you can get from various Pillars of the Voice that it adds (only 1 empowered at a time, you forget the last if you get another)(27 pillars of the voice in total)) 3 of them are permanent magic effects after doing certain things, one is a Greater Power learned from a tome (it's in the library, just have to go past the end of the hallway to get it) that negates the current cooldown once per day, and a staff that reduces cooldown by 5 seconds per target healed.

The permanent magic effects are in no particular order:

• Thundering Echoes, which negates cooldown for the 1st shout used in combat.
  • Storm Crown, when entering or leaving combat, negates current cooldown
  • Way of Peace, when NOT in combat, shouts with cooldown lasting longer than 10 seconds (but not over 60 seconds) get reduced to 10 seconds

While some of the empowered shouts affect cooldown, most don't, for example, empowered aura whisper reduces cooldown by 5 seconds per target detected, whereas empowered disarm affects targets of any level (so its not limited to lvl 30 and under enemies)

Though honestly, I have not dug into the code to see if it explicitly uses the same thing this mod works.

I had another question, does it take the actor value ShoutRecoveryMult into effect? (like when you equip an Amulet of Talos, vanilla reduces the cooldowns by 20%, or have both amulet of talos and blessing of talos, and end up with 40% reduction)

• 2 years later...