Cannot get Creation Kit to start

Aki K

It is stuck at the initializing windows part.  I get about 4 errors of the same type (I'll post a picture of 1).  Doesn't matter which option I click.

Things I've tried so far:

1. Downloading a skyrimeditor.ini file, since it won't create one for me.

2. Starting outside and inside of MO2.  (Same issues either time).

I don't know much about creation kit, but it has never worked for me.  (I'm using version 1.9.32.0, which as far as I can tell is the latest version.)

Either way, trying to update doesn't seem to fix my issue.

6 minutes ago, coolfreaky said:

there is a probable same issue solved in this link : https://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/333656722965945837/

hope it helps

Well it gave some useful info regarding the ini, But otherwise no.  It didn't work and wasn't the same problem.  A lot of those solutions are past the initialization phase and are about actually loading a mod.  I can't even get that far.

Forgot to upload the pics before.  These pics are as far as I can get.

Spoiler

2041908148_Creationkit1.png.19e21a3657eaf56945734105a5065332.png

Spoiler

224913729_Creationkit2.png.6b9e063ed5ba65986b757926fa6a6502.png

Maybe I installed it wrong.  I tried going to the website on how to install creation kit, all it does is give me a link that doesn't go anywhere.  No instructions.

Do I put creation kit directly into the skyrim folder (.exe and all?)  Do I install it in MO like a mod and then set the .exe as an executable like I had to do for FNIS and some other related tools?  Or do i run it from the Desktop as its own thing?  I honestly have no idea what I'm doing with CK.

11 hours ago, Andy14 said:

First Screeshot: You can disable Warnings in ini of CK.

Second Picture: You have to wait. CK is working ... Initializing Windows.

Run CK as Admin and Steam in Offline Mode can be helpfull.

I will give all 3 a shot.  But the initializing phase always crashes.  It takes forever and then stops responding.  I don't think it is working.

How exactly do I install CK btw (just to be sure)?  Do I drop it into the skyrim folder or can it be installed in MO as long as I set it as an executable?

EDIT: I don't see where in the ini to disable warnings.

EDIT 2: Admin mode and offline fixed nothing.  I let it run for half an hr and it never initialized.  

19 minutes ago, Aki K said:

I will give all 3 a shot.  But the initializing phase always crashes.  It takes forever and then stops responding.  I don't think it is working.

How exactly do I install CK btw (just to be sure)?  Do I drop it into the skyrim folder or can it be installed in MO as long as I set it as an executable?

Ck for le is installed through steam as far as I am aware, there may be standalone downloads but steam is where I normally get it from, it used to be under the tools section, now it is one of the filter options under the games and software tab, install it from there and then point mo to the exe file just like you would for any other exe file, the exe file should be in the skyrim directory not the skyrim\data though.

13 minutes ago, Varithina said:

Ck for le is installed through steam as far as I am aware, there may be standalone downloads but steam is where I normally get it from, it used to be under the tools section, now it is one of the filter options under the games and software tab, install it from there and then point mo to the exe file just like you would for any other exe file, the exe file should be in the skyrim directory not the skyrim\data though.

I can't point it at anything.  It doesn't initialize.  I cannot access any menu at all.  It starts up, tries to initialize, and stops responding.  

Ok.  Quick update.  So far a standalone seems to work a bit better.  I can get it past the initialization phase.  I don't know what I'm doing and it's asking to replace files.  I'm worried if I say yes the game won't start.  But it seems to be necessary.  Any advice?  I don't know which files it wants to replace.  It didn't make much sense to me.  I am not technically skilled, if it isn't obvious.

Why does it want to replace these?  is that standard?

Spoiler

Ck 1.png

Spoiler

CK 2.png

Edit: Okay I think I have it working.  I don't know at all how to use it, but it starts and the game still starts.  So I'm calling it a victory for today.  It seems the standalone version of CK works better for me than the steam install.  I don't really understand but maybe it has to do with me using MO or some setting I don't understand.

Anyway, I'll consider the problem solved for now.  I may be back in another thread to ask questions of how to use it or what certain things mean, but I'll probably give youtube tutorials a try first.

27 minutes ago, Aki K said:

Ok.  Quick update.  So far a standalone seems to work a bit better.  I can get it past the initialization phase.  I don't know what I'm doing and it's asking to replace files.  I'm worried if I say yes the game won't start.  But it seems to be necessary.  Any advice?  I don't know which files it wants to replace.  It didn't make much sense to me.  I am not technically skilled, if it isn't obvious.

Why does it want to replace these?  is that standard?

Ck 1.png

CK 2.png

.psc are Papyrus source files, in this case for the base scripts of the game. The ones that come with the CK are for Skyrim itself, and the ones you have installed are likely from SKSE, so they shouldn't be overwritten (It won't hurt your game, but you won't be able to compile scripts that use SKSE Papyrus functions).

The .dll is probably just a crack in this case

Have you tried starting the CK and not touching it at all? During init it blocks the GUI thread, so Windows will think it's not responding even if it is doing stuff, but Windows will only check that if you are actually interacting with it. Just letting it load even if Windows says it is not responding should work too.

If you have downloaded ini's for the CK, this should be fine, but generally you should disable error messages (bShowErrorMessages in SkyrimEditor.ini), since they're honestly mostly useless anyways. Also make sure sound is disabled (bEnableAudio in SkyrimEditor.ini), since the CK really likes to shit the bed with that enabled.

39 minutes ago, Targultoon said:

.psc are Papyrus source files, in this case for the base scripts of the game. The ones that come with the CK are for Skyrim itself, and the ones you have installed are likely from SKSE, so they shouldn't be overwritten (It won't hurt your game, but you won't be able to compile scripts that use SKSE Papyrus functions).

The .dll is probably just a crack in this case

Have you tried starting the CK and not touching it at all? During init it blocks the GUI thread, so Windows will think it's not responding even if it is doing stuff, but Windows will only check that if you are actually interacting with it. Just letting it load even if Windows says it is not responding should work too.

If you have downloaded ini's for the CK, this should be fine, but generally you should disable error messages (bShowErrorMessages in SkyrimEditor.ini), since they're honestly mostly useless anyways. Also make sure sound is disabled (bEnableAudio in SkyrimEditor.ini), since the CK really likes to shit the bed with that enabled.

I had tried not touching it.  It didn't work no matter what.  In the end installing a standalone version directly in the folder is what made it work.

Crack?  Why would there be a crack?  And should I restore the old one then or use the CK one?  (Or am I misunderstanding what this crack is?)

I don't know what a GUI thread is.

Got it for the disabling stuff.  (Edit: There is no bshowerrormessage.)

3 minutes ago, Aki K said:

Crack?  Why would there be a crack?

I assumed the non-steam version you downloaded was just a pirated version, which is why I assumed it was a crack.

7 minutes ago, Aki K said:

I don't know what a GUI thread is.

It wasn't that relevant, just some Windows weirdness

Maybe you can check in the task manager if the CK is actually still doing stuff when Windows says it is not responding, but if it doesn't start even after waiting a few minutes, it probably isn't this.

1 hour ago, Targultoon said:

I assumed the non-steam version you downloaded was just a pirated version, which is why I assumed it was a crack.

Maybe you can check in the task manager if the CK is actually still doing stuff when Windows says it is not responding, but if it doesn't start even after waiting a few minutes, it probably isn't this.

Oh right.  Yeah the CK is probably pirated in some sense then.

Whatever the case, it start up now that I'm using the version I have.  I just need to learn what to do with it now lol.  I have absolutely no idea how creation kit works.  I intended to backport an armor here or there from SE to LE.  But now that I have it, maybe I'll make a custom race or a custom follower.

I havent really read the other reply's but I use MO2 as well so here are my settings.

MO2 PROGRAM SETTINGS

image.png.5c4252753a388f8259cddf84041c35f3.png

SKYRIMEDITER.INI

image.png.4a9a4d9b745d6b881369e8b462e8616d.png

Also make sure this is disabled. for good measure i will put my ini files.

PERSONAL INI FILES

SkyrimEditorPrefs.iniSkyrimEditor.ini

EDIT: Also I would probably not use a cracked version of the CK and I assume you're using skyrim le unless stated otherwise and you only ever download it on steam.

Also once you download Creation kit from steam you should get a file that looks like this thats says scripts in your data folder

CK SCRIPTS

image.png.82be93ce3f9a6479ce84a81ca75c726e.png

open that and  put them into your data folder or if you're using mod organizer and dont want them in there you can always make it a mod.

1 hour ago, tamai said:

Welcome i edited my post quite a bit so there is more there if you didn't see ^^ let me know if that helps if you're still trying to get it working without downloading a pirate.

Honestly since I finally managed to get it working, I'm just gonna leave it alone for now.  Despite this post being recent, I have spent about a year trying to get CK functional.  I just wasn't on LL way back when I first tried and finally decided to ask around here.  I don't want to risk messing it up.  So I'll deal with what I have for now.  I don't intend to use it for anything too complex.  Just an adjustment here or there or a simplistic mod.

1 hour ago, t.ara said:

The function for CK is highly depending on a WORKING windows-system, which is responsible for an error free CK.

This ini- file is changing some parameters but mostly for me important the memory-use of CK-works error-free and SMOOTH.

SkyrimEditor.ini 14.69 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you.  For now things seem to work.  I'm just not sure what to actually do with CK now that I have it working.  I don't know how to use it lol.

One of the things I want to do is make a series of rings that apply skin textures when equipped.  But I don't even know how to make the rings lol.

Archived