5 hours ago, Blaze69 said:

I think what Kuro was suggesting going by the ref image was a normal horse dong with a "foreskin"-like thing but still keeping the characteristic tip anatomy under it. Could be wrong, though.

Yeah, the image should be visible now. But yes, something with all the equine details, but the tip is uncut, and doesn't have the usual flare - so that is a factor, and it doesn't loose the horse look entirely. 

5 hours ago, Blaze69 said:

Udders you mean? Yeah, I don't see that working out at all, at least for "normal" gameplay. A special naked body made specifically for screenshots or something like that could be possible I guess, but definitely not for standard use and I don't think the extra work would be worth it. Plus I don't think they look that good myself either in the first place, but that's more subjective.

TBH that reference image doesn't really give a clear and/or close look at it, and I bet the amount of pics out there with anatomically-correct anthro mares is huuuge so finding one that does shouldn't be a problem, lol (E6 seems to be down at the moment so I can't try myself now, though).

Well, it looks like...maybe these are better?

lizardlarsformal_gentlemenpiromanecoypowers

31 minutes ago, CFU said:

For the crotchboobs, can't it it just be on the texture like some of the other multi-boob models for khajiit and such? 
It's not an entirely unrealistic way to do them, since a mare's teats don't really stand out unless producing milk. Not to say they're completely flat usually, but it's hardly like they'll stick out much from the body if you looked from the side

Didn't think of that, but yeah, that sounds good. That means having the nipples on the base texture, and some detail in the normal map. Possibly something in the model too, if female horses get a custom one. The only problem would be the position, but that shouldn't be too difficult to work out.

Also, @Bad Dog, I'd suggest going for Equine as a race name, rather than just Horse. Anyone else agree with that?

22 minutes ago, Kuroyami said:

Equine as a race name,

Sure, this fits. An easy idea for race variation would be zebra/donkey parts. Stripes can be done via body paints, the tufted tails zebras/dokeys have could be a brow or hair option (like in the pony race by Prancanis on Nexus) 

If it's not too much trouble, race-specific body/face paints would be nice to make things like paint or dapple body patterns. A shame a more anatomically correct anus would be so much work, but that's a smaller matter I guess.

1 hour ago, Kuroyami said:

Well, it looks like...maybe these are better?

lizardlarsformal_gentlemenpiromanecoypowers

Yup, looks more like it to me, lol. Not saying that pic wasn't good, mind you, just that if the point was to showcase species-appropriate female horse bits, there were probably better images available.

Didn't think of that, but yeah, that sounds good. That means having the nipples on the base texture, and some detail in the normal map. Possibly something in the model too, if female horses get a custom one. The only problem would be the position, but that shouldn't be too difficult to work out.

I guess adding them to the texture itself (either exclusively or paired with mesh edits if a custom naked body is made) would be alright, but in that case I'd prefer if it was optional or alternatively there was an optional "no udder" file to remove them. Just my two cents, though.

Also, @Bad Dog, I'd suggest going for Equine as a race name, rather than just Horse. Anyone else agree with that?

Don't think there is anything remotely horse-related in the ES lore that could be used for this, so I guess that's as good a name as any unless someone has anything fancier to suggest.

1 hour ago, CFU said:

the tufted tails zebras/dokeys have could be a brow or hair option (like in the pony race by Prancanis on Nexus) 

Eh, not a fan of that mechanism, to be honest. It's true it allows you to manually chose the tail during chargen, but doing tails as headparts just feels like a bug waiting to happen, lol.

If it's not too much trouble, race-specific body/face paints would be nice to make things like paint or dapple body patterns.

Face paints are there already (pretty sure BD posted pics) and body paints are easily doable as well.

A shame a more anatomically correct anus would be so much work, but that's a smaller matter I guess.

I mean, it actually wouldn't. Just need to create the mesh and rig it properly, like with the custom female bits for the Cellan. In the case of males it would even be a bit easier since there's no SOS bodyslide or anything like that and also there's no HDT stuff to worry about.

This is me really not GgAF about female equine buttholes.

If you just want a 3D shape on the surface it's not hard. Making it HDT requires a special mesh and skeleton bones and XML magic.

Nipples in the udder-area are doable, but maybe more for a possible minotaur race? And what do you do with the breasts?

I love the zebra upthread but I don't actually know anything about body paints. Are they PC-only or can you put them on NPCs? And how do you make them available?

Face tints are easy but really there should be a few extra complexions for things like Paints or Appaloosas which change the whole face. But RM isn't cooperating--I lose any alternative complexion I apply. So that has to be fixed first. 

Females are almost ready to go but I've decided I hate all my manes and I want to rework them. (At least, I hate all the ones with loose hair. The roached and tied manes are ok.) I'll have an upload soon.

43 minutes ago, Bad Dog said:

I love the zebra upthread but I don't actually know anything about body paints. Are they PC-only or can you put them on NPCs? And how do you make them available?

From my very limited understanding, since body paints have only been done as mods they can be put on NPCs, but they'll require every underlying mod to allow it to happen. So body replacer, textures, maybe skeleton too? And the bodypaint mod itself of course. I've seen follower mods with custom face/body paints so its definitely possible, just a lot of work.

Working...

I don't know what this is but I think I need to keep it for a vampire race.

Spoiler

image.png

Yeah, okay, eyes aren't in the right place. Wearing helmets is gonna suck.

Spoiler

image.png

Just checking that tails pick up the hair color.

Spoiler

image.png

Aaaand... here she is almost done.

Spoiler

image.png

23 minutes ago, Bad Dog said:

Didn't replace the face complexions list with the horse ones so as soon as you touch the Complexion slider it tries to load whichever ones are in there (in this case Khajiit, I assume).

I mean, giving vampires a different face texture should be pretty easy if you wanted (and even a separate/new body texture as well). I just wonder what changes would make sense for a vampire horse, lol.

Wearing helmets sucks most of the time anyway because that good-looking (I assume) face you spent time working on ends up hidden behind an ugly helmet.

Only real problem about it is you end up missing on armor rating and on the Full Set armor perks until you get the higher-level one that removes the helmet requirement. In the case of the sharks I justified the racial armor rating buff they get as something to make up for not being able to wear most helmets. Could do something like that for the horses as well, like an armor rating bonus equal to a mid-tier helmet that applies whenever helmets aren't worn (i.e. the PC wears nothing with the Helmet keyword, whatever that specific keyword is).

I... didn't think of that, but it makes a lot of sense, lol. Haven't had the time to check out males either so I didn't see it there either.

There's some art, I think on the blog thread, showing what vampire complexions might look like. Horses are seriously freaky once you start pulling the skin off.

Male tails in the last rev use the vanilla textures, so even though they take on the skin tint you can't tell. 

10 hours ago, Bad Dog said:

Working...

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

Aaaand... here she is almost done.

Hide contents

image.png

You did a great job :):thumbsup:, I was hoping someone would do a Horse-race.

I have a question, can you do to be able to enlarge more nose and mouth for mare ? In order to achieve a shape similar to that of a stallion's head.  I tried it with sliders, but I'm already at the maximum range. I would like to achieve the same shape at the mare's head as the stallion in the picture below.

832646694_UnicornBrown.png.09da6aa1a8d81

@Bad Dog, you seem to have packed several base SOS files like body, hand, schlong and skeleton nifs in the main race file for A0.2, and I'm pretty sure those are not supposed to be included with the mod (unless I'm missing something). Removing the whole "character assets" folder from the archive should do, as I don't think there's anything in there required by the horses.

There's also some leftover/duplicate files that should be removed, like a "Hooves_0 - Copy.nif" in the BDHorse meshes folder and two leftover Cellan body diffuses in the Female textures folder. The space taken up by those may not be too much but it's still a waste, so I think it would be good to clean up the file.

Also, one question: I see males still have their thick-but-otherwise-human-like nails, and females have the standard canine/feline claws from the YA hands. Are you still planning to look into that "mini hooves for fingers" thing for them at some point? Just wondering.

And last, but not least, once I get down to testing the mod I'm going to see if I can pull off what I suggested and remap the horse eye meshes to using vanilla human/elf/orc eye UVs so they can be given all of the game's non-beast eye textures as extra options (of course this would be a separate nif from the base one so they would still pick up any more horse-specific eye textures you make by using the default nifs). If it works out and they look at least bearable, do you think you'd be interested in implementing them into the main mod, or should I post it as an addon here in the thread or something?

Love the zebras. Actually, the whole race is looking better than I expected.

Yeah about the SOS files. Delete the folder like Blaze said.

I can figure out enlarging the nose and parts for the mares. I made the base mesh at max size and reduced nose and such for the mares, so it should be easy to increase them again. That half the slider does nothing now.

I'll figure out schlongs in the next release.

Putting the other beast eyes on the horses doesn't excite me much. They aren't horse eyes after all. More eye options are a reasonable thing. But sure, have fun, see what you can do. Not really sure what you're thinking though--either the whole mesh has to change to move the eye sockets up (doable but a PITA and not sure how the whole head will look when you're done) or the vanilla eyes have to be moved down--at which point they aren't vanilla any more.

22 minutes ago, Bad Dog said:

Putting the other beast eyes on the horses doesn't excite me much. They aren't horse eyes after all.

Perhaps not, but it's not like all anthro horses out there ever are drawn with species-appropriate eyes only, and to be honest eyes go a long way in making characters look more expressive, at least from my experience. Love me some proper species-matching eyes on my anthros but sometimes it's good to have more human-like options as well.

Also...

More eye options are a reasonable thing.

...exactly.

Not really sure what you're thinking though--either the whole mesh has to change to move the eye sockets up (doable but a PITA and not sure how the whole head will look when you're done) or the vanilla eyes have to be moved down--at which point they aren't vanilla any more.

No mesh (shape) edits, it's actually much simpler than that. Just edit the UVs so they match the vanilla human eye textures, that's it. Already did so for the sharks in FO4 and turned out pretty good, so hopefully this will look at least okay-ish as well.

I fact I was just working on it and this is what I have so far (still WIP since I finished literally 2 minutes ago):

HorseEye.png

(Edited UV to match the human/orc/elf eye textures):

Spoiler

HorseEyeUV.png

Since only the UVs are changed, the meshes are still in the right position and with the matching TRIs and stuff, so it should all work just fine. And if you change/update the eye meshes for some reason, editing the UVs again to create the "human-texture-compatible" versions should be pretty quick and easy too.

1 hour ago, Bad Dog said:

Love the zebras. Actually, the whole race is looking better than I expected.

Putting the other beast eyes on the horses doesn't excite me much. They aren't horse eyes after all. More eye options are a reasonable thing. 

Really and I believe.  I never saw an anthro horse with horse eyes.

I've always seen with human eyes before.

Zebras have interesting colors

When I tried with the shark stripes from ASlySpyDuo.

They looked good.

You saw it?

The more I play around with this, the more I think it turned out better than I expected, lol. ?

Thought going for a "realistic" face design wouldn't look that well compared to the more "cartoony/stylized" look most art seems to go for, as opposed to other races that do look pretty good when done in a realistic style (e.g. canines or felines). But this still has a certain charm to it.

Anyhow, here's a quick'n'dirty shot of my WIP (and as of now unnamed) mare. Also shown are the human-texture-compatible eyes I'm working on:

Horsey.jpg

I should probably try and get more shots of the other eye texture options of both males and females. I'll see what I can do if I have the time for it.

Wow, those eyes actually do look pretty good. I like the horse eyes, but I could see myself using both depending on how the rest of the character I'm currently making looks.

I agree with Blaze69, I wasn't sure how well this mod would come together aesthetically, but honestly outside of a few minor details (which are still being worked on, so naturally) everything looks really, really good. Even facial expressions look "right" (for lack of a better term) on these guys. You're damn talented Bad Dog, can't wait to see the finished product.

Okay, uploaded A0.2.1 with the SOS junk removed.

For mods without loads of prerequisites, I've started putting the files in the base skyrim folder and working from there. Mostly it's great--Creation Kit starts in seconds and hardly ever crashes, you can create and edit files and see how they look without ever shutting it down. You can save your mod and run the game without shutting it down. BUT you then have to go through and edit out all the extra files you don't need, hence junk.

SE conversion will happen when LE is (close to) done. 

Still to come: Hoof-y hands, sheathing schlong, real mouth textures. Any suggestions from above. If I can figure out how to make eye reflections work I'll improve those cuz they suck now. I'll include Blaze's eyes if people like them. NPC addon--I'll put them somewhere on the plains west of Whiterun, I think. Might be fun to take a zebra skin and see what I can do with it. But that's about it.