I made Centaurs! (proof of concept w/ pics). Need suggestions :)

Hey all,

At the moment the current Centaurs only serve as proof of concept, but here's what they look like thus far:

enb-2019-06-19-16-50-08-08.png
enb-2019-06-19-17-10-20-07.png

They still need a great deal of work as visually they are really unpolished, but aesthetics aside I am currently thinking about how best to implement them as a mod (It's all held together temporarily right now).

So, I am after some ideas as to how my Centaurs might fit into Skyrim. Standalone followers, a playable race, hostile enemies? etc! I can perceive a decent amount of challenges for every idea I come up with so before I commit to any one idea I figured I would like to get some feedback as to what other people might like.

Does anybody have any suggestions or thoughts for me? :)

Thanks 

Depends on how cheeky you want to be about it. TES lore is filled with crazy carnal shapeshifting gods, and all that horse fucking ought to have provoked some kind of reaction. Also, there's magic. Lots of magic. Personally, I think I'd enjoy Skyrim centaurs to be either a purposefully created "worker/slave" race or a punishment for the utterly inappropriate behaviour of Skyrim's denizens (thanks to mods, no less....). 

But that's obviously just my opinion. And btw I love your centaurs! I've always wanted to play one! How does movement work?

Some abandoned centaur files are included in Skyrim's BSAs so they were definitely destined for the game at some point. 

I'm gonna mirror what MadMansGun brought in and ask what makes this different from the other centaur mods we've seen? Do you plan on going further with implementation at some point?

19 minutes ago, Fishes10 said:

So in other words it is simply a human character riding a horse in a modified way that together look like a centaur

That is actually what Kentauroi were. The stories about them are just the recording of early contact with horse-people of the steppe. Horses are not indigenous to the Greek peninsula and the mountainous terrain limits 'horse-friendly' terrain to the N.E. corner - which is the main opening into Thrace and the area where the stories about the Kentauroi originate and take place. ?

25 minutes ago, Fishes10 said:

Any ideas you guys have I would love to hear!

You could do a Pushme-Pullyou for Mihail's Monsters. ?

Personally, I would go for the npc aspect, hostile or not. I rarely use companions except as cannon fodder in particularly difficult dungeons, and as a playable race I see MANY issues even if you had a team helping you.

I could see them as nomadic tribes similar to the Forsworn, possibly even part of the Forsworn...  It would cut down on the need to convert a majority of the armor/clothing for them. I have several mods that take some of the non-essential generic npc's that are found throughout Skyrim and change their race to others and it doesn't seem to affect the game adversely.

Race specific animation is probably going to be your biggest hurdle to overcome, though most of the books I've read make them either archers or intellectuals (I.E. magic users). So if they don't use bladed weapons it would seriously cut down on the need to remake a large majority of the animations to suit.

Unless they never are found in interiors I would probably scale them down to pony sized, maybe slightly taller than the High Elves... Granted this would make them unsuitable as mounts but seeing as a standard horse can barely squeeze through a doorway it would make sense, even a pony is vastly stronger than a human with greater stamina.

• 1 month later...

nice centaur! looks really clean *follows*

some suggestions if your still looking at what to do future wise with mods,

-add centaurs to game in specific areas , quest or natural followers

-hdt, smp, cpbc ...ect,support, because people will want it

-centaur armor

-centaur ridable as a horse replacement 

-variouse animation sets

-centaur follower mods 

-various weapons, magic all their own 

-centaur race mod

if you need a SE tester id be glad to help

im not

• 1 month later...

I thought about making a race like this myself. What held me up was the animation aspect I feel would need detailed attention to make it fluid. Now, a follower centaur, or a mount, or both in one, could be a lot easier. Gamebryo anims by script, no need to worry about 1st vs 3rd person, many other things would be less of a concern. I would def make sure they use facegen head. Looks like you are doing that tho

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2019 at 1:43 AM, hadun88 said:

This is amazing! I'd really like to see them as mounts, but it sounds like that wouldn't work if you edited the saddle bone, am i right? Anyways, they would make great enemies, too.

I could see that happening still with the mod that lets your follower ride with you. Just set it up so you ride behind instead of leading.

That said, that particular mod is buggy as hell as it is, so combining it with this wouldn't go as smoothly as it sounds lol

I got an idea that should made them fit in the lore of skyrim. When I saw you searched a way for including them in skyrim my first thought was Clavicus Vile. People came to him to get requests fullfilled and he puts everytime his own spin to fullfill this requests. What about a settlement of people that wanted to be faster and stronger than their enemy at that time. To fulfill that request he just made them centaur. Because of that twist of fullfilling their wish they became hostile against all Daedra and their relationships, factions and dialogs are the same than that of the "Vigilants of Stendarr". Maybe change whole Skyrim that it is possible that when you see a pair of vigilants one of them is a centaur or simple said every time you could met a vigilant you could met a centaur in place of it. Putting a little variant into the vigilants.

A second thought about using them as a mount - in Harry Potter I read that a centaur will nobody allow them to ride them. They are proud and do not want to be compared with "stupid horses". Asking them to ride them is a big insult. Only children or injured are allowed to. If it's to difficult to make just stop at the "to proud to let someone use them as a mount". If you make them a race that can be made a follower you have to patch the different mods that assign horses  to each follower.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 6:30 PM, Ingun Black-Briar said:

Depends on how cheeky you want to be about it. TES lore is filled with crazy carnal shapeshifting gods, and all that horse fucking ought to have provoked some kind of reaction. Also, there's magic. Lots of magic. Personally, I think I'd enjoy Skyrim centaurs to be either a purposefully created "worker/slave" race or a punishment for the utterly inappropriate behaviour of Skyrim's denizens (thanks to mods, no less....). 

But that's obviously just my opinion. And btw I love your centaurs! I've always wanted to play one! How does movement work?

On 11/10/2019 at 11:28 AM, seanthiar said:

I got an idea that should made them fit in the lore of skyrim. When I saw you searched a way for including them in skyrim my first thought was Clavicus Vile. People came to him to get requests fullfilled and he puts everytime his own spin to fullfill this requests. What about a settlement of people that wanted to be faster and stronger than their enemy at that time. To fulfill that request he just made them centaur. Because of that twist of fullfilling their wish they became hostile against all Daedra and their relationships, factions and dialogs are the same than that of the "Vigilants of Stendarr". Maybe change whole Skyrim that it is possible that when you see a pair of vigilants one of them is a centaur or simple said every time you could met a vigilant you could met a centaur in place of it. Putting a little variant into the vigilants.

A second thought about using them as a mount - in Harry Potter I read that a centaur will nobody allow them to ride them. They are proud and do not want to be compared with "stupid horses". Asking them to ride them is a big insult. Only children or injured are allowed to. If it's to difficult to make just stop at the "to proud to let someone use them as a mount". If you make them a race that can be made a follower you have to patch the different mods that assign horses  to each follower.

No need to work them into the lore of Skyrim since they already exist in Elder Scrolls lore. They were even an enemy type that could be encountered in Daggerfall.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Centaur

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Centaur

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Centaur_(Daggerfall)

• 11 months later...

I have to agree with what both INGUN BLACK-BRIAR and NIKOLI GRIMM had to say. First off definitely scale them down to pony sized, an absolute necessity for entering or exiting buildings. Then make them some sort of worker/slave race but pepper a few wandering tribes here and there (friendly or hostile your choice). Then to cement their worker status re-scale some handcarts and have them hauling ore at a few mines and/or working for the Kajiit caravans hauling their "goods and wares" when traveling. I further agree that since Centaurs are almost always shown as archers or intellectuals there would be no need for new fighting animations. Also since they would be either "wild or slave/workers no need to clothe them at all. They will be nude or wearing the stock undergarments of choice. Although SEANTHIAR's idea of a Clavicus Vile request gone wrong makes perfect "lore" sense for their genesis.

• 2 months later...

Personally I don't think they would be good for a playable race (too much things they can not wear and the size qould make them no good for dungeon clearing). But for enemy monsters/rideable mounts (they would be great with a harness) or even companions they are great.    And mihail's centaurs are pretty good for the male version

• 2 months later...