Mass Effect: Andromeda Should I buy it?

Reginald_001

I'm halfway through my last ME3 playthrough. Besides Fallout it's my favorite series.

I like ALL THREE games just as much. Where many hated ME3, I actually loved it (just to give you an idea).

So keeping that in mind, and asking people that liked all three games, is Andromeda worth it?

Does it match up to ME2 and 3?

If you hate this series, I'm not really interested in your opinion. I mean, you're free to share it ofcourse, I'll just have no interest in it.

I'm looking for input on how the game compares to Me2 and 3.

Shall I buy it? Or just forget about it?

What I'm really interested in knowing is:

- How is the action v.s. RPG v.s. Dialog ratio?

- Do you talk as much as in Me2 and 3, or is it more action oriented?

- Are the squad based tactics still a thing?

ME:A is my favorite. Actually liked it more than ME:1. Didn't care for ME:2 or 3 which I felt were just Gears of War clones with a lot of face to face talking. A lot of the dialog was fluff in the sequels.

ME:A fixed that. A lot of the combat is meaningful and varies based on your class or specs. You can specialize in weapon types again like ME:1 and don't have to swap weapons constantly like you're playing "gun pokemon". The dialog isn't forced and the interactions have purpose without half of the game being just there for the laugh but not pushing the plot forward or accomplishing anything except give the VAs more work. A lot of the talking is reward from team line ups. 

In the hardest difficultly the enemies don't get insane armor and shielding like in the sequels but instead are just harder with more damage and health, like regular games. So you actually need tactics or the gameplay mechanics that help you win most of the time will kill you. Some parts were challenging enough that I had to lower the difficult just so I get to the next part of the story cause the fight was too well constructed.

All of the companions are great. They don't really have that one companion that everyone pisses on like in previous games. Even the most "on the fence" companion has the most fun side quest.

I heard the game had some graphics issues when it released. But I didn't play it for months till it was thoroughly patched like I do with all Bioware/Bethesda/Obsidian titles cause they are all buggy on release I don't like being forced to do a second play through because of a gamebreaking bug that are in all of the game from those developers. 

Only problem I have with the game is the lack of DLC. Fun shit about my favorite race got hinted at in the end and I got blue balled!

^ Just couldn't help yourself? I was pretty explicit about what I think about that sort of posting. If you hate EA so much, go make your 'I hate EA' thread, instead of polluting this one.

On topic:

Thanks guys, I've been looking at the "let's play" without commentary and the first hour seems really fun to me.

Seems like a good Christmas present for myself, something to do after modding Ivy and family visits these holidays.

I played the trial version on PS4 and I feel that the graphic is weirdly bad. In my opinion, it's even worse than ME1. I cannot even finish the chapter one cause the protagonist has a 'I am an asshole' expression all the time, while other npcs (humans and aliens alike) have absolutely no expression at all. I didn't notice other aspects of the game before I quit the game.

If you are really into the Mass Effect series, then you most likely will enjoy it.  I loved ME1 through ME3 (with the happy ending mod) and I did enjoy MEA.  It does have good combat and is a very long game if you do all the side quests.  It suffers from exactly the same dumbass management decisions that ME3 had.  ME3 had pick your color, MEA has pick your base (along with pretty much every other decision you make) that makes ZERO difference to the outcome.  

However, some of the magic, mostly on the companion side quests are still there.  Dialogue with companions is entertaining and of course the pick your romance deal is shoved in your face fairly aggressively.  It had the potential to be the greatest ME game, but instead they chose to ignore all the feedback on meaningless decisions that ME3 gave them.  For this and the day 1 bugs, the game and developer got burned at the stake.  I enjoyed my first play through, but couldn't manage to be bothered for a second run.  Which is a first for me with the ME series.  I must have played each one 10 times or more.

Tactics and companion build out do matter.  You can make the game significantly harder or easier with your companions.  You do end up doing a good bit of talking, but with all the different places you go, many have open areas, so it is just you and enemies.  Which makes sense in that you are looking areas to establish settlements.  However, many of the quests are the typical fetch or go do and come back deals, so you end up talking some.

Armor and guns.........I did like the selection and mix/match on this.  It is no where close to ME1, but does a bit better than ME2 or ME3 I felt.

With the Deluxe edition on sale today for 5.99, go buy it.  It is a no brainer at that cost.

If you liked ME1-3 I don't think you'll hate MEA.  Facial animations are much improved since they patched them, combat works pretty smooth, I wouldn't call it tactical, your companions are pretty autonomous and work well enough you don't need to think for them.  They pretty much nailed it on vehicle handling for the nomad.  I had a blast driving on low grav asteroid and flying over sand-dunes and down icy slopes.  The game really drags after the starting planet- they spent way too much time dragging you around the "Citadel" substitute hub - but once you get to your first real planet it picks up a lot.  Some of the conversations are pretty cringe-worthy but that's always a matter of individual taste.  I don't think I'd pay full price for the game but if you get it at a discount you probably won't regret the purchase.

It isn't as bad as it's reputation, it is just a quite mediocre sandbox game.

And to be honest, it does few things better than the original trilogy, but alas many things worse.

It needed to be amazing after ME3, and it was below bar for Bioware, that's it in a nutshell. And it didn't help it was released with some pretty ridiculous bugs and oversights.

Worth a buy from a 50%+ sale.

Main gameplay things to consider is that you are limited to three active skills, though limitless passives, and you have four "profiles" that can each have three different skill, but they all go trough cooldown period after switching profiles. Also, you can not control squadmates at all (IIRC, at least not when and what skills to use).

9 hours ago, cornbreadtm said:

Only problem I have with the game is the lack of DLC. Fun shit about my favorite race got hinted at in the end and I got blue balled!

That got resolved in a novel, Annihilation; main plot points were discussed somewhere in this thread: http://bsn.boards.net/thread/16056/mass-effect-annihilation-discussion-thread.

Oh yeah, and Nomad is damn fun to drive in the frozen lakes with the drive assists off, and in the low gravity asteroid ?

8 hours ago, Reginald_001 said:

^ Just couldn't help yourself? I was pretty explicit about what I think about that sort of posting. If you hate EA so much, go make your 'I hate EA' thread, instead of polluting this one.

I'm for this. We already had one thread discussing a game shut down because of haters vs. defenders drama.

I actually have copies of ME 1-3 I got as a bundle but I never could get into them. Meh, not the worst $20 I ever spent (sales bin special :classic_rolleyes:). I really couldn't comment on ME:A. Since I didn't really like (or dislike) the previous games I just didn't buy it. If I found a copy 50% or more off (as @ToJKa mentioned) I might pick it up just to give it a try myself.

Archived