Can I remove a follower from the game mid playthrough?

I've pretty much had it with Neko-chan; nice follower, but she has too many issues. The top two are that she regularly turns invisible and fills whatever area (cell) she is in with graphical artifacts. Admittedly, the artifacts are probably due to HDT not working right (HDT hair also doesn't work and despite using UUNP special everything, hands clip with breasts, but those are separate issues to fix later).

I'd like to just remove her, but I'm always wary of removing anything from an in progress game.

Active Mod Files:

00  Skyrim.esm
01  Update.esm
02  Dawnguard.esm
03  HearthFires.esm
04  Dragonborn.esm
05  Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp  [Version 3.0.13a]
06  Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm
07  ApachiiHair.esm
08  SexLab.esm  [Version 1.62]
09  SexLabAroused.esm  [Version 2.8]
0A  Devious Devices - Assets.esm  [Version 2.8.3]
0B  Devious Devices - Integration.esm
0C  Devious Devices - Expansion.esm
0D  ZaZAnimationPack.esm
0E  DeviousFramework.esm
0F  hdtHighHeel.esm
10  EFFCore.esm
11  TeenVoice.esm
12  ApachiiHairFemales.esm
13  Extra Encounters Reborn - Basic.esm
14  paradise_halls.esm
15  CreatureFramework.esm  [Version 1.1.0]
16  Heels Sound.esm
17  HighResTexturePack01.esp
18  HighResTexturePack02.esp
19  HighResTexturePack03.esp
1A  Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
1B  Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
1C  EFFDialogue.esp
1D  DfwSupport.esp
1E  RaceMenuMorphsUUNP.esp
1F  Schlongs of Skyrim.esp
20  SOS - Smurf Average Addon.esp
21  SkyUI.esp
22  RaceMenu.esp
23  RaceMenuPlugin.esp
24  SOSRaceMenu.esp
25  FNIS.esp
26  mcgSpeedChange.esp
27  FNISSexyMove.esp
28  SlaveTats.esp
29  SLAnimLoader.esp
2A  J42_ArmorRatingRedux.esp
2B  DW.esp
2C  MassMatchMakerSE.esp
2D  NibblesAnimObjects.esp
2E  HDTSextoys.esp
2F  KomAnimObjects.esp
30  KomAnimScaler.esp
31  LeazerBoundArmorRedux.esp
32  SerialStrip.esp
33  CutthroatMerchantsMedium.esp
34  UIExtensions.esp
35  Devious Devices - Equip.esp
36  SexLabDangerousNights2.esp
37  DeviousToys.esp
38  DeviouslyHelpless.esp
39  DeviousTraining.esp
3A  ts_ecatsuit&ballet.esp
3B  XPMSE.esp
3C  ts_whitepantyhosedress1.esp
3D  ts_slickarmour.esp
3E  ts_fetishwardrobe.esp
3F  ts_slinkyleotard.esp
40  ts_whitewardrobe.esp
41  ts_fetishpantyhoseoutfits.esp
42  ts_frillyoutfit.esp
43  ts_whipcane.esp
44  ts_valkyrie1.esp
45  ts_xinphheels.esp
46  ts_phreddress1.esp
47  ts_reducedbustsize.esp
48  XN_Ciris Sword.esp
49  MoreNastyCritters.esp
4A  Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
4B  paradise_halls_SLExtension.esp
4C  NovasArkTheKnowvaStarShip.esp
4D  Prettier Bandits.esp
4E  SexLab_DibellaCult.esp
4F  DF5Dibellas.2.esp
50  leftringsdrop.esp
51  PathOfSorcery.esp
52  zMirai.esp
++  Weapons & Armor_TrueWeaponsLvlLists.esp
++  Complete Crafting_TrueWeaponsLvlLists.esp
53  ACE Archery.esp
54  Immersive Wenches.esp
55  Bandit_Honeypot.esp
56  Deviously Cursed Loot.esp
57  Whiterun Dolls.esp
58  SexLab_DibellaCult_Sisters.esp
59  ts_hairnheels_compilation.esp
5A  Forgotten Wenches.esp
5B  Judgment Wenches.esp
5C  Devious Lore.esp
5D  Emily.esp
5E  SexLabSkoomaWhore.esp
5F  Extra Encounters Reborn - CSP.esp
60  Slavewaymanor.esm.esp
61  DeviousFollowers.esp  [Version 1.710]
62  Hateful Wenches.esp
63  Aradia Devious Expansion.esp
64  DF-EFF-Patch.esp
65  Bijin Warmaidens.esp
66  ACE Melee.esp
67  DA_Skyship.esp
68  SexLab-StoriesDevious.esp
69  Deviously Enslaved.esp
6A  ACE Armor.esp
6B  Follower Neisa.esp
6C  Laura's Bondage Shop.esp
6D  SlaveTrainer.esp  [Version 1.0.3]
6E  zSLSDNeophytes.esp
6F  FNISspells.esp
70  ts_angels.esp
71  Follower Fever.esp
72  Chiasa.esp
73  Follower Onean.esp
74  jenna1.esp
75  Abigail The Maid.esp
76  Bellatrix.esp
77  GKFollowers2.esp
78  CavalliFollower.esp
79  Aurora.esp
7A  J42_SharedBurdens.esp
7B  BazoongasWorkShop_AfterSchool.esp
7C  Little Blush.esp
7D  Ambassador of Darkness.esp
7E  ADEC Alduin Armor.esp
7F  C5Kev's Steel Micro-Armor UUNP.esp
80  HOBJessica.esp
81  SineadFollower.esp
82  Lorica.esp
83  MagicResistanceRescaled.esp
84  SexLab TDF Aggressive Prostitution.esp
85  TDF_AP_IndHookersPlug_In.esp
86  drak_knockspell.esp
87  Thief skills rebalance for Ordinator.esp
88  Perk Points at Skill Levels 50-75-100.esp
89  Melt_Down_Everything.esp
8A  Mango.esp
8B  MTNKFollowerLilyanna.esp
8C  Nekomimi Follower 7 Base Mega Oily.esp
8D  9dm_cthkclnpc1_highlandpark.esp
8E  ts_fallenangels3.esp
8F  ts_fallenangels2.esp
90  paradise_halls_farengars_study.esp
91  Marie Blonde Alt Haircut 0.6.esp
92  liulei_followers.esp
93  Mini Follower.esp
94  BowsetteByAsherz.esp
95  Emma.esp
96  R.B Runa Standalone Follower.esp
97  Gloria.esp
98  KS Hairdos - HDT.esp
99  mcgDwarvenDeviousCuirass.esp
++  esturkBondageMittensMagic.esp
9A  tailed_dildo_FV20.esp
9B  Bound Shield.esp  [Version 1.0.0]
9C  TTT_ArousedNips.esp
9D  SOS - TTT Dwemer Cyborg Addon.esp
9E  TTT Dwemer Cyborg Equipable Schlong.esp
9F  SOS - ERF - HighPoly Addon.esp
A0  SOS - ERF - HighPoly Equipable.esp
A1  dcc-dm2.esp
++  Extra Encounters Reborn - HSR.esp
A2  Pahe_Dwarven_Devious_suits.esp
A3  RaceMenuOverlays.esp
A4  EnchantmentSwapper.esp  [Version 1.0]
A5  PetCollar.esp
A6  SexLab_SOS-Stapon.esp
A7  HentaiCreatures.esp
A8  SLAL_AnimationsByLeito.esp
A9  ACE Speech.esp
AA  Ravengate.esp
AB  Hermit.esp
AC  Natasha Follower.esp
AD  RosaFollower.esp
AE  Mynitha.esp
AF  Lily Follower.esp
B0  Desire.esp
B1  Nila.esp
B2  JulieTheWitch.esp
B3  Chaconne.esp
B4  Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
B5  MiyuLin.esp
B6  Elycis.esp
B7  Liliaya.esp
++  PoS Apocalypse Patch.esp
B8  Extra Encounters Reborn - Dawnguard.esp
B9  enemy-encounter-wellsantos.esp
BA  Tinkerbell.esp
BB  No2F.esp
BC  Estruk_XDFF_Custom.esp
BD  ACE Synergy.esp
BE  Smithing Perks Overhaul_Remade.esp
BF  UUNP Vanilla Outfits.esp
C0  betterwards.esp
C1  BladedancerFollowerByAsherz.esp
C2  SororityGirlsOfSkyrimByAsherz.esp
C3  Akemi_The_Follower.esp
C4  Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp  [Version 3.1.7]
C5  ccas_starts.esp
C6  Deviously Cursed Loot LAL AddOn.esp
C7  Bashed Patch, 0.esp
C8  S_L_U_T_S.esp
C9  TreasureHunterWhore.esp
CA  SimpleSlavery.esp

As well you should be. Removing the follower, per se, would likely not affect your game. If, for instance, it was the last mod in your load order you could remove it, clean your save and all should be well. However, when you change the orders the mods are in by removing a mod in the middle that can, and probably will, affect your game. It is for that reason that many of the more seasoned modders have empty mods floating in their load order. If I was in your position, for instance, I would delete the follower, activate (tick on) a "mod" in my load order entitled "myclothes" (which is currently empty), put it in the spot in the load order that the mod I am removing was is, clean the save and go. While that works much better, it is not guaranteed to work 100% of the time. I still feel that VirginMarie's golden rules is best adhered to: do not change your load order during a playthrough. If you change your load order you really should start over.

all that psalam said and:

if you want a place holder and your not sure how to make one:

or just replace the removed mod with some other armor/follower/weapon mod

important is to keep the load order consistent

removing quest/scripted mod on the other hand will make your game unstable, because already triggered quests/scripts are backed in your save game

sometimes its possibe to clean a save but there is no guarantee depending on the mods you removed

• 3 years later...
On 12/13/2018 at 3:33 PM, Psalam said:

As well you should be. Removing the follower, per se, would likely not affect your game. If, for instance, it was the last mod in your load order you could remove it, clean your save and all should be well. However, when you change the orders the mods are in by removing a mod in the middle that can, and probably will, affect your game. It is for that reason that many of the more seasoned modders have empty mods floating in their load order. If I was in your position, for instance, I would delete the follower, activate (tick on) a "mod" in my load order entitled "myclothes" (which is currently empty), put it in the spot in the load order that the mod I am removing was is, clean the save and go. While that works much better, it is not guaranteed to work 100% of the time. I still feel that VirginMarie's golden rules is best adhered to: do not change your load order during a playthrough. If you change your load order you really should start over.

So just to makes thing clear,

Adding mods in the middle of the load order is fine? But deleting them is asking for trouble? (obvivously)

Because when i install new mods and run Loot, it will place mods somewhere in the middle where it thinks it belong. 

I kinda want to know a clear cut answer to this, because i feel after installing mods like followers or new locations mods, i always get this idea that it works better after starting a new game. Sure almost all mods seems to work just fine installing them mid game, but still. I get this idea that it all work better because of all my sexlab mods, magic mods ect. 

If my previous mods are still in the same order after removing a mod and then fall back to a save file before i installed the removed mod, should that not be ok aswell? 

7 hours ago, Back2friday said:

So just to makes thing clear,

Adding mods in the middle of the load order is fine? But deleting them is asking for trouble? (obvivously)

Because when i install new mods and run Loot, it will place mods somewhere in the middle where it thinks it belong. 

I kinda want to know a clear cut answer to this, because i feel after installing mods like followers or new locations mods, i always get this idea that it works better after starting a new game. Sure almost all mods seems to work just fine installing them mid game, but still. I get this idea that it all work better because of all my sexlab mods, magic mods ect. 

If my previous mods are still in the same order after removing a mod and then fall back to a save file before i installed the removed mod, should that not be ok aswell? 

I'll give you a clear answer although it is not simple and is one of the more controversial things about modded Skyrim.

It is safer to start a new game whenever you change your load order, period. That being said, there are things that can be altered that appear to be exceptions to the rule. The less a mod is involved with other mods, especially with scripting, the safer it is to add or delete it in mid-playthrough. The classic examples of "safe to add/remove" mods are standalone armors. If you see an armor that C5Kev just released and you just have to have it in your current game, it should be safe to simply add it at the end of your LO and go on. Similarly, it is generally safer to remove (or add) mods that are at, or near, the end of your load order.

Those things being said, there is no clear cut, "you can always do this or can't do that." The more you know about your mods and load order the better able you are to do the addition and removal without pain. So, if you want a cut and dried rule the best I can do is quote VirginMarie in her directions. She calls this her "golden rule."

Do not change your load order (Add or delete - my addition) during a playthrough.

8 hours ago, Back2friday said:

I kinda want to know a clear cut answer to this

First statement: LOOT is not magic and does not know everything - nor can it. It sorts your mods according to rules of dependency, relevanz, and rules that people set globally - or, as you often read, by metadata.
Backends are not taken into account - e.g. the so-called soft dependencies. Mod C offers additional features when Mod E is loaded - via script.

For example, a Mod E Global is accessed and depending on this, an additional feature is unlocked in Mod C.

However, if Mod E is loaded after Mod C (because the dependency or dependencies cause LOOT to do so), this global does not yet exist at Mod C's runtime - Error Access to None. LOOT cannot take this into account, but otherwise LOOT is a very useful tool.

For this reason (and others) it is less risky to add mods - unless: things in the save like Quests, NPC's, Cells etc. are changed - then the save wins - or gray heads, broken LOD etc.

Removing mods is riskier - for the same reasons - as mentioned in the script example above. This is especially true for mods that are prerequisites for other mods and mods that change quests, NPC's, cells, etc.

To give a straight answer, adding and removing mods is only 100% fine with a new game - if the load order is correct from the start.

Welcome to the world where BSA no longer matters and mod organizers are the new saviors. ;)

Edited by Andy14

Thanks guys. I always had this rule of starting over after i downloaded and setup everything i need. But once you actually did more than 50 quests, you'll realize that you don't have all the mods you needed ? 

I've started new game many times because of this. 

Yesterday i downloaded followers tweak and relationships dialogue overhaul, because it was needed for a followers mod. 

Should i start over again or should i continue.. That's basically what im wondering about. 

For now I'll just continue the game and see what happens because everything seems to work fine, for now. 

46 minutes ago, Back2friday said:

For now I'll just continue the game and see what happens because everything seems to work fine, for now. 

That's exactly what you should do. There is no panacea - everything must be verified through testing.

I wish you the best of luck with this. :)