AAF for beginners: Step by step (Outdated)

I finally got what seems to be a stable AAF build using your latest guidelines, so thank you!

However, several of the RSEs aren't showing up in the MCM (I think 1 and 4, and maybe another) and it seemed to be having trouble finding bloatfly animations. Honestly at this point I would hardly be surprised if you just told me I was cursed. ? 

You are cursed… :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

Working on a list right now for every single mod i use. Might be useful for some, it might be a waste of time, but it will be there (finished) in case someone finds it useful… 

And hopefully fixed now. Some pictures showed up where they shouldn't be.

@theuglyamerican

Now to all your questions:

1. The links

I looked into it and in the end those are four separate mods all doing a similar thing. I'd have to make a testrun for every one of them and thats 'a bit' too much work as at least 75% of my efforts for those mods will be wasted.

2. Elements

The Elements should all display a message when they start. Check the loadorder as Flashy mentioned in which order they should be installed (thats also the reason for the strange order in the list). Also you might want to clean the savegame (with the usual precautions).

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Btw. in case i forgot someone remind me of overlooked PM or posts. The last few days have been 'a bit' stressful and hectic...

Darn, i wish i could split post #1. That one will be hard to edit in the future… Hmm, got an idea… Please don't break... Please don't break...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Worked. Now i don't have to scroll for an eternity for every small change.

On 12/31/2018 at 11:42 AM, Kythana said:

Those are 'inofficial' patches i found in a thread. You can get them here: <direct download>

But i don't know if they really work. Thats one of the things i'm testing right now...

I was like "wow less work to do!" so I took a look (EDIT - took a look at the one involving my files).

More than a patch, it seems a "nothing".

Well that's what I've seen at least. It seems to me that it changes a name, which shouldn't have consequences at all in the use of the API, you only will see a different name when you open the Wizard. However, it could have consequences with Halstrom's tagging, if he tags referring to my IDs and not that patch. It's like if I decide to call you Nisha, it's not like you're not Kythana anymore. But a third person who always called you Kythana would be quite confused when hearing me calling you Nisha.

But if people see something different please point me to that.

@A.J.

Thank you. Thats good enough for me to remove that one. :)

I always feel bad about the inofficial patches as the authors of the original know way better what they did (or didn't). Last time i took me almost a week to fix a bug caused by something like this.

Too bad i got no talent for programming to check that stuff myself, i tried (schooled in Java and C++), but it is simply not something i can get the hang of. The teachers loved my documentations - but hated my code. ?

I hear you. That's what I feel inside of me. I don't want to make arguments, it's just a general though. I think all the spare files spreading around are quite evil, they can cause mess for several reasons. If a mod requires a patch... why not making the modder aware / help him in doing that? I'm feeling that the great potential of AAF, allowing easy customization with these xml files, is becoming more like a dual side blade.

Couldn't agree more. Halstrom got the informations about a previously fixed bug i encountered yesterday. So whenever i find something (and can't fix it myself) i'll be informing the authors.

I just hope i won't get blacklisted 'cause i nag too much… J/K ;)

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 5:20 PM, idgaflulz said:

Using (mostly) the same setup, and my feral ghouls are headless when naked. Some of them spawn with clothes on, and they're fine, but the nude ones are missing a texture or something and I can't figure out what's causing it. I searched, but didn't have any good results with anything that worked. It's not a huge deal, because naked feral ghouls are gross, but I'm just throwing it out there in case anybody else runs into it.

There you are… Was searching for this post (of course in the wrong thread) as i remembered the solution (this was bugging me the whole day).

Install the provided XML from post #2. That should do the trick.

1 hour ago, Kythana said:

There you are… Was searching for this post (of course in the wrong thread) as i remembered the solution (this was bugging me the whole day).

Install the provided XML from post #2. That should do the trick.

Well, I think my issue was just that I was spawning ones whose ref id started with FF, instead of 00. FF is used for save games, so who knows what those entities really were.

Have you noticed any crash to desktop behavior with the latest AAF installed? If I rapidly switch between pip boy menus, I can crash it repeatedly. If I leave my load order exactly the same, just without AAF, it doesn't happen.

57 minutes ago, Kythana said:

None at all. The ESM (and ESL) are always at the top in my builds.

Oh. I got all confused because of the full load order you posted. LOL 

Many mods disappear when you install them -- patches and such, but anything that requires installation by hand. How do you move those around? Or do you?

4 minutes ago, Kythana said:

@idgaflulz

Ah, OK missed that one...

I had crashes 'til i made sure that i had updated everything regarding AAF (missed one or two files in the first run).

How does one go about identifying files that may not have been updated? I think I got them all too, but maybe not. I'm using MO2. Should I just do the 50/50 test? I was doing that on the load order side, haven't done it on the mod side yet.

@theuglyamerican

With MO2 its just drag and drop.

For updates i just let MO2 replace the old file (that way the loadorder doesn't change). Scrolling is slow so i usually just change the priority number to move something for a bigger change within the list.

@idgaflulz

I just manually check the modpage here at LL for changes. Afaik only the files at Nexus can be checked automatically.

But thats something i don't know for sure. MO2 is still relatively new to me too as i 'really' use it for only ~2-3 weeks now. I'm still trying to handle it like the old NMM way too often 'til i remember that it works differently.

Btw, as you are in the thread, are the new pics in post #2 too big? I can't get rid of the feeling that i should resize them.

1 hour ago, Kythana said:

@idgaflulz

I just manually check the modpage here at LL for changes. Afaik only the files at Nexus can be checked automatically.

But thats something i don't know for sure. MO2 is still relatively new to me too as i 'really' use it for only ~2-3 weeks now. I'm still trying to handle it like the old NMM way too often 'til i remember that it works differently.

Btw, as you are in the thread, are the new pics in post #2 too big? I can't get rid of the feeling that i should resize them.

I think the pic sizes are fine, but I have a giganto monitor so that might be why. :)

I'm in the process of adding and removing stuff, trying to figure out what causes the CTD. It is definitely something AAF related, I just am not sure what yet.

I made 100% sure that I unchecked every demand for V's Stylish Furniture when I did my AAF install, but something in AAF is still calling for it. It's really annoying.

Also I'm still getting no hits for the bloatfly animations. I'll try switching out the one I'm using for one of the others and let you know how it goes.

ETA: That didn't work. For some reason I don't think AAF is reading the creature tags. I have the themes installed, and I know I checked "Creature" in the kinky theme. 

Wait a sec. When does the CTD happen exactly? Starting the game or loading a savegame?

Starting the game - Missing update

Using the UI - UI itself or missing update

Loading a savegame - broken save - change the use_external_data_storage setting from false to true in the AAF_settings XML (at the bottom) and load an earlier save.

8 hours ago, theuglyamerican said:

Many mods disappear when you install them -- patches and such, but anything that requires installation by hand. How do you move those around? Or do you?

Missed or misinterpreted the first part...

I integrate the small patches or hotfixes into the main mod - but if there are several patches i keep them seperated as the loadorder of the patches might be important too.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wish i could order '2 litre Espresso intravenous'... New years eve always ruins my day/night rythm for a few days...

10 hours ago, idgaflulz said:

Well, I think my issue was just that I was spawning ones whose ref id started with FF, instead of 00. FF is used for save games, so who knows what those entities really were.

Have you noticed any crash to desktop behavior with the latest AAF installed? If I rapidly switch between pip boy menus, I can crash it repeatedly. If I leave my load order exactly the same, just without AAF, it doesn't happen.

FF was used for saves in Morowind. Since then it is used for anything created by the game while it runs.

Thank you so much for this Guide. 

First I tried to install AAF by my one. But somehow I could only use the debug mode. There are just too many patches and patches for the patches out there. 

Then I removed all Mods and followed your guide, which ended in some Error Messages. After trying to solve them Fallout 4 crashed immediately. 

So I had to remove all the Mods again, clean the savegame and then install everything once more.

It nearly took me 2 Hours to finally run AAF.

One thing I'd like to note:

#22 says that I should not install the patch for Leitos animations. 

But it seems that this is still required if you want the animations to play for two female characters.

The F/F animations work fine even without the patches.

Atm the new version for AAF from Leito seems to be a bit bugged. To compensate for that i had to make quite a few changes to the 'normal' recommendations. 

For example: all the guys would stay flaccid if i hadn't changed the order of some mods and followed the 'normal' way.