RTX

cleavagesweat

who is getting the RTX soon? did you preorder? i'm looking at the EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra (takes up 3 slots) which is available for preorder now. they also have the FTW3, which is a 3 slot and a 3 fan design but its not available for preorder yet. 3 slots is thick as shit tho. I guess it allows for a thicker heat fin solution.

Just now, cleavagesweat said:

tru. but i'm more interested in the ray tracing that will give more realistic shadows more than anything. 

By the time RT is actually implemented in a game that matters, 7nm will be the standard, and your rtx won't be able to do jack shit in any resolution over 1080, so unless you like gaming at 30fps, you're paying $1300 for a 30% increase in apples to apples over titan XP Sith.

By nVidia's own demo any app casting more than 7 rays per frame causes an almost 100% drop in framerate, and ten rays per frame is the absolute max it can do.

39 minutes ago, 27X said:

By the time RT is actually implemented in a game that matters, 7nm will be the standard, and your rtx won't be able to do jack shit in any resolution over 1080, so unless you like gaming at 30fps, you're paying $1300 for a 30% increase in apples to apples over titan XP Sith.

By nVidia's own demo any app casting more than 7 rays per frame causes an almost 100% drop in framerate, and ten rays per frame is the absolute max it can do.

After the initial drop, the RTX is expected to drop to 999, ~ 200 less than the Titan XP and  still 30% faster. And the fab process has fuck all to do with the speed of the card. A final point, RT has already been announced for "games that matter". At least they matter to an enormous chunk of gamers.

3 hours ago, foreveraloneguy said:

After the initial drop, the RTX is expected to drop to 999, ~ 200 less than the Titan XP and  still 30% faster. And the fab process has fuck all to do with the speed of the card. A final point, RT has already been announced for "games that matter". At least they matter to an enormous chunk of gamers.

The magical green alternate reality you live in sounds dreamy.

The price isn't going to drop, period. 10XX took two years to drop, and the only reason they did is mining moved on to DASICs and FPU-on-chip dedicated cards, and the combination of 20XX launch, which saw nvidia literally shoveling their entire inventory onto AIBs. The 7XXs didn't drop until nVidia needed to make room for 9xx, and 9xx didn't drop either, so your theory doesn't have any historical precedent period.

Meanwhile every vendor including nVidia themselves is selling every 20XX unit 200-300 dollars over their own msrp.

The flagship of this little raytrace endeavor you speak as being necessary is the lowest preordered version in the franchise history and no one is going to play a competitive MP game at 30-45 fps just to get real time reflections in windows they aren't even going to looking at when tournament standard is now 120 fps, which a 1080 can hit already.

So unless the 20XX has literally instantaneous frametimes there's zero reason to get one unless you have just happen to have 1500 bucks laying around, and if you have have 1500 bucks laying around you should be getting the new AMD or Intel processors due in about three months that actually finally represent a change forward in processing power instead of the last five years of Intel casually dragging their ass while AMD tried to do anything to remain viable as competition, which ironically enough is what nVidia is doing now because they basically have no competition, and you're currently paying through the nose for it.

There's zero reason to get a 20XX when 9 months from now 7nm Turing cards will be a thing, because TSMC is already spooling up the fabs for it.

8 hours ago, 27X said:

so how is it these videos show current games using the tech and looking awesome?

GTA5

BF5

Shadow Tomb Raider

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The GTA V video you posted did not use any ray tracing,and the guy didn't even have an RTX card,since at the time they weren't out yet.The guy who made the vid is known for milking GTA V using crappy mods that add way too many puddles and add way too much oversaturation,and people still think they are ultra-realistic.I still don't get why graphics mods are still a thing,now that RTX exists.

• 3 weeks later...

This Series is a big nope for me.

Fist the came up with this misleading Slides of Benchmarks making the older cards appear way worse than they actually are, by purposely choosing games and settings

which causes the Memory Bandwidth bottleneck of the 1080 to show.

Technically they weren't lying about the 2080 being 50% faster than the 1080, but only because the choose to use NON Ti models, and settings which shows this memory Bottleneck.

In reality with reasonable settings it's more like 10-25% over the predecessor.

This however comes at a hefty price tag, not justified by anything other then this new Raytracing "Gimmick".

I expect it will be about another 2 Years until Games really utilize this Feature,

and by then early adopters will notice, that Raytracing will either:

-hardly do anything to the Visual experience, or

-tanks the performance in such a way that the Games become borderline unplayable (30FPS @ 1080p with a 2080Ti? really now?)

The Raytracing cores on the new Cards are rather weak, sure they do work, but are physical simply not powerful enough to rely on them.

And in about 2 Years, when (true) Raytracing games are available, i expect the second generation of Cards to be available as well (which might actually be worth their asking price).

Sure, knowing nvidia, they will get some of their partners to slap Raytraicing onto existing Games, or Games already in Development,

but more as an afterthought but as an useful feature.

From a Gamers perspective this cards make no sense, unless you *need* one for development, Reference or Benchmarking i would stay clear.

The techtubers like GamersNexus and AdoredTV really had a go on nvidia about this cards and their release.

Spoiler

See more here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/adoredtv/videos

You will find much more like this.

Seems to me like a desperate Cashgrab with navi around the corner.

I could not care less about who is ending up having the better card, but i know, having no competition in a market is always bad for the customer.

@MorePrinniesDood i don't see what crypto-miners would need the Raytracing Cores for.

I am not aware that they can be used for crypto-mining (yet). Correct me if i am wrong.

I think this is closer to the truth:

TL;DR/DW

They sitting on a huge pile of unsold 10-Series Chips.

They don't want to lower their prices right now without competition.

So they make the 20-series to expensive to make the 10-series seem like a less bad deal.

Fulfilling the constant nagging for a "new" card for new systems (the 10-series is over 2 Years old), and priming the developers for the Raytracing-Age.

I thing Raytracing was intended for 7nm but the pushed it now on the older process, making the DIE rather big & expensive (not THAT expensive though)

just to get some attention before AMD does, but it is not the "real deal".

Sure if you *NEED* the best of the best *RIGHT NOW* and price don't matter the 2080Ti it is then (good luck getting one, low supply)

The other RTX are basically useless, barley faster (if any faster) than an OEM 10 series with decent cooling solution, nobody wants them.

I would wait. AMD is rumored to come out with a refresh of the RX580 (RX680 maybe) this year, and first AMD 7nm Cards maybe 1Q next year.

Even nvidia started tooling TSMC for 7nm and will probably be launching the "real" Raytraing Cards 1st or 2nd Q 2019.

If by then they still sit on a bunch of 10-series they will become MUCH cheaper,

especially wen used Cards from the crypto-miners getting pushed into the Market for a bargain price.

If AMD delivers something halfway competitive (does not even have to be better than the 1080Ti/2080Ti)

them nvidia is forced to act, to get rid of their 10-series overstock.

Meaning around Q2 2019 you might either get a "better" RTX OR a cheaper GTX OR a (much)cheaper(used) GTX OR decent AMD.

More competition, better price.

The best thing that can happen to Gamers, is when AMD's first 7nm would seriously kick ass (excuse me) and gives nvidia a run for their money.

Nvidia only innovates and price fairly if they are on the defense. (don't hold my breath for it though, AMD is still recovering from rather hard times)

Just my 5 cents

On 10/23/2018 at 3:09 AM, flatliner10 said:

AMD is rumored to come out with a refresh of the RX580 (RX680 maybe) this year,

Update: The Polaris refresh apparently will be called RX590, is still basted on the same Architecture, with minor improvements (unexciting) 

However it will be manufactured on the new 12nm Process, currently also used by the Zen+ (Ryzen 20XX) lineup, making it the very first 12nm Card on the Market.

This comes with a few benefits, smaller DIE, higher Yield-Rate result in lower Prices for the GPU itself.

And if the difference between the Ryzen 10XX and the 20XX is anything to go by, slightly better efficiency, clockspeed and performance.

It aims at the most lucrative mid range Market, and i expect it to be anywhere between the RTX1060 and RTX1070, and is supposed to launch in November.

While not the new high-end Card yet, it will surely shake up the Market a bit, causing older mid range Models to drop in price, and force nvidia to do the same.

Regardless of which team you lean to, waiting for the RX590 might pay of, if you are aiming for a mid range Card.

On a Side note, AMD is also rumored to launch a "new" RX580, based on the RX570, with a slighly higher clock.

Naming it the same would be a dick move, if true, however not as bad as nvidia's "new" "1030" with the ultra-slow Memory.

Not much more is known (to me) yet, it is speculated that this might be Mobile version of the 580 (which is not expect to perform as good as the Desktop counterpart),

or a special edition for the Asian budget market, not intended for the Western World.

Another possibility (my personal speculation) is that this might be a 570, but manufactured on 12nm, which would bring it up to the 590 performance-wise,

then there would not be much of an issue.

Another update, more bad news from nvidia.

It seems like the new RTX 2080Ti Flagships are already failing at an unusual high rate, some non-TI 2080 also seem affected:

Spoiler

------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------

It might just be a vocal minority, which are rightfully pissed about their expensive Cards being buggy, but the issue seems bigger than nvidia wants to admit...

If the bad news are keep piling up like this, it's not looking too good for nvidia's reputation,

there are more and more hints of the RTX-Launch was overly rushed.

Archived