What book are you reading currently?

I noticed there doesn't seem to be a topic on this surprisingly so here we are. Post what books you are reading and if you are enjoying them or not. Recommendations are welcome as well. I recently got back into reading again after being a mainly Stephen King reader. I decided to branch out into fantasy and my buddy lended me his Sword of Truth series books by Terry Goodkind. I'm currently about to start Soul of the Fire (Fifth book). I definitely have enjoyed the series so far but I know a LOT of people do not like Terry Goodkind and I understand why (He's a colossal douche). I personally recommend it so far though, there are a lot of problems with these books but the world building and characters are what keep it together, for me anyway. I heard a comparable series to this is Wheel of Time (which Goodkind may have ripped off directly).

What are some other good fantasy books / series out there?

Hehe i love Stephen King too. I am currently reading (at a slow pace) The Stand (god, it was translated to portuguese as "Dance of Death", i will never understand some translations).

I don't read as much as i would like to... And i simply love "modern fantasy", including horror. Aside from S.K., i read two books from Clive Barker and i think they are great.

For fantasy i can only talk about Patrick Rothfuss. I've read his first book Name of the Wind and it is perfect.

Can't remember much now, i have this ability to 'forget' things.

I enjoyed Terry Goodkind's sword of truth series.  If you are only on book 5 then you have a long way to go.  There are some spin-offs with the Lady of Death that I have yet to read.....

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan is also very good.  My favorite books in the series are the last three......so much comes together it is riveting.

I enjoyed two different series from LE Modesitt Jr: the Saga of Recluce series and the Spell Song Cycle.  There is also Legacies.....but it is more modern and not swords & sorcery.

Christopher Paolini has an excellent series called the inheritance cycle, the first book is Eragon (the book is MUCH better than the movie).

Brandon Sanderson has the stormlight archives which begins with the way of kings and also a 3 book series called the mistborn series.

Stephen R. Donaldson has the 1st and 2nd chronicles of Thomas Covanant the Unbeliver, which is a really good series (really different from most anything else you might read).

Stephen R Lawhead has several good book series.

Everyone knows about the game of thrones series......the books are very good and often quite different than the tv show.  I'm not as into these as I can't stand that he purges 90 plus percent of the characters he introduces in each book.  It is an emotional drag.......LOL!!!

If you are more into the space side of things I highly recommend:

David Webber - The Honor Herrington Series

Elizabeth Moon - the Heris Serrano series.

I'm an avid reader and the larger the book series the better I tend to like them.  One and done books are nice, but I tend to avoid those unless they are really, really good.

I could list dozens more but I'll stop here.  Hope that helps!

Jon Atak's Opening Minds: The secret world of manipulation, undue influence and brainwashing.

Cults and their associated weirdness interest me, (perhaps more so since certain elderly members of the Hat's bloodline are been slowly suckered into one), Atak was a former $cientologist who sorta woke up and then spent the rest of his days dismantling how he was suckered into it in the first place, how they recruit perfectly rational people and then keep them inside. The opening minds book looks at how the same techniques are used by advertisers, con artists and government rallies.

's interestin' stuff.

On 8/23/2018 at 7:36 AM, Di3sIrae said:

Hehe i love Stephen King too. I am currently reading (at a slow pace) The Stand (god, it was translated to portuguese as "Dance of Death", i will never understand some translations).

The Stand is probably one of his best. It's just so damn good. The first half of that book is breathtakingly intense. "It" and "The Stand" are probably my favorite from him but are truly massive books. A smaller fav of mine would be "The Dead Zone" which the movie didn't do justice. Really a great book and that scene near the end with the hotel fire is haunting and I can't believe they left it out of the film. I actually read the Dark Tower series as well back in the day which is great but very weird. Stupid ending but I suppose it's hard to end something THIS weird. Wizard and Glass is the best book I just loved the backstory on Roland. I could go on and on about SK but this post will get really long so I leave it at that for now but really there are a lot of great SK books, including smaller lesser known ones.

currently reading: Bearskin - McLaughlin

just finished: Artificial Condition - Wells

recently read: Vatican Sanction; Space Opera; Delirium Brief; Lake Silence; Infinite Future; Other Lady Vanishes; Give-a-Damn Jones; Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter; Man of Legends; Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing (yeah old man type thing, yes truly for idiots); Gone World; Salt Line; Great Zoo of China; Man in the Tree; High Voltage; Year One; Wolves of Winter; Serpent in the Heather; Door to Bitterness; Reincarnation Blues; In the City of Coin and Spice; Blender for Dummies; Official Guide to DAZ Studio; Sam Gunn Omnibus; A Highly Unlikely Scenario; Buddha's Money; Sookie Stackhouse series (True Blood), Midnight Texas series; Trivium-Liberal Arts of Logic, Grammar & Rhetoric; Clockwork Dagger

lots of time walking on the treadmill ... you notice not much non-fiction, that's cause I'm old and already know it all, uh-huh, yeah sure ... which is why all the fantasy and scifi, need the dose of reality

I'm actually re-reading The Stand at the moment, having just re-read IT. Two of my favourites from when I was young - really too young to be reading Stephen King. I saw the recent IT film, then re-watched the old miniseries, then started reading through some of his older books again.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:14 PM, Jerbsinator said:

The Stand is probably one of his best. It's just so damn good. The first half of that book is breathtakingly intense. "It" and "The Stand" are probably my favorite from him but are truly massive books. A smaller fav of mine would be "The Dead Zone" which the movie didn't do justice. Really a great book and that scene near the end with the hotel fire is haunting and I can't believe they left it out of the film. I actually read the Dark Tower series as well back in the day which is great but very weird. Stupid ending but I suppose it's hard to end something THIS weird. Wizard and Glass is the best book I just loved the backstory on Roland. I could go on and on about SK but this post will get really long so I leave it at that for now but really there are a lot of great SK books, including smaller lesser known ones.

Oh i never read Dark Tower or Wizard and Glass. But Dead Zone was indeed a great read. It is indeed a classic heh
One that i liked a lot were Insomnia. I love how SK uses children and old people as the protagonists. I think it makes the characters more "real"...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I love learning languages I some day started to read "normal" books (not the ones you had to read for school that days) in the language the author originally wrote it.

First I got stuck with Bernhard Hennen's "The Elven" (in german it's "Die Elfen").

While searching amazon for another german fantasy novel I found something called "Der Weltenbund" (in english I think it would be something like "The world-alliance"). Seems to be some newcomer at a small publisher; therefor there is only a german version, no translation. I have to admit I like to support the small publishers that are not part of the big companies. Yeah, I know, buying at amazon is not a help ...

Well, it's the first book of a series (amount unknown to me) and the story is not very new. But it's easy to read even for me as a second-language speaker and the world unfolds to a "realistic" fantasy world without cliché but with memorizable site-characters, races and languages.

In fact sometimes I got the feeling of some roleplaying game like Skyrim aso, where the quests are not that much surprising (but also not boring!), but where you can just loose yourself in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently reading The Black Train by Edward Lee.  Extreme/splatter horror with lots of graphic sex.  I've been a fan of Lee's since the early 90s, he tends to re-tread some of his own work but overall he's a fun author.

Last week I was on a business trip, so I had plenty of time to read on airplanes.  I read Koko Uncaged by Kieran Shea and 'Nids by Ray Garton, as well as starting The Black Train above.

Koko Uncaged is the third book in the Koko trilogy by Kieran Shea.  This is classic Cyberpunk tropes, but the author is mostly known for hard-boiled detective fiction.  The result is fast-paced, tongue-in-cheek and very violent, well written and lots of fun.  It's like the old Robert Sheckley The 10th Victim series but with snappier dialogue.

'Nids (short for Arachnids) is a fairly short novel by horror author Ray Garton.  It's classic giant bugs invade small town and only a group of horny teenagers can save the world.  A quick, fun read.

Just completed: the entire Master & Commander series by Patrick O'Brian. Over twenty novels make up the sadly unfinished story, about a meter of paper on my book shelf. Whew. But so damn good if you're a fan of maritime stuff and well researched historical/warfare settings.

Currently reading: Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book, Neverwhere, and whatever I can get my hands on. Amazing stuff.

Planning to re-read next: the Reynevan z Bielawy books (the Hussite Trilogy) by Andrzej Sapkowski. An awesome fairytale set in the fascinating period of the Hussite wars.

On 8/23/2018 at 8:01 PM, gregathit said:

I enjoyed Terry Goodkind's sword of truth series.  If you are only on book 5 then you have a long way to go.  There are some spin-offs with the Lady of Death that I have yet to read.....

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan is also very good.  My favorite books in the series are the last three......so much comes together it is riveting.

I am not much of a reader but I have read the Wheel of Time and Sword of Truth series. Good books to read.

• 1 month later...

The Collapse of the Soviet Military by William E Odom (extremely boring and it is only because I am stubborn that I am reading it at all)

The Countryside in Colonial Latin America edited by Louisa Schell Hoberman and Susan Migden Socolow (actually it is pretty interesting, but you have to tend toward academic tastes to really like it)

Mass Effect: Revelation by Drew Karpyshyn (because it is a good Sci Fi book). 

More of a young reader's series but I really enjoyed the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan and following that, Heroes of Olympus and The Trials of Apollo. Can't recommend them enough.

I'm reading Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan right now (third and final book in the Crazy Rich Asians trilogy).

14 hours ago, Ryklu said:

I just finished going through Joe Abercrombie's works for the third time, and I'm now re-reading Neuromancer by William Gibson.

If anyone knows of any new, fun fantasy-fiction authors, I'm all ears!  The more swords and sorcery, the better.

I have enjoyed going to Fan Fiction net (https://www.fanfiction.net/game/Dragon-Age/) and reading some great short stories, though I tend toward the Fallout ones and Mass Effect ones, a few of the Dragon Age shorts are well written.    Of course, for the more adult ones, there is the erotic stories board here at LL.