Making the player a follower and expanding RaceMenu

So I've been using Enhanced Character Edit for the longest time and it's great, it comes with two extensions including the enhancer and extra sliders so you can pretty much make any edit to your character you want, the only thing it is missing is an easy way to turn your created character into a follower and I've always wanted to do that!

Here's what I tried:

• Copying the player and setting as follower - doesn't work that well and a bit buggy, they still seem to share your unique ID.
  • Creating a follower with the player's head - didn't work that well either, the body morphs didn't match and the process was too long to be worth the hassle.
  • Using Alternate Actors to edit an NPC - didn't work at all but was a nice idea.
  • Using Familiar Faces with RaceMenu - the best option by far except RaceMenu doesn't seem to have as much customization possibilities.

More details bellow here:

Spoiler

So the first thing I tried was the obvious and created a copy of the player and made the copy into a follower but this didn't really work very well as the copies have some issues ... like if you're a girl when you make your copy and you want to play as a guy the copy character changes sex as well and starts talking in a guys voice! ? The copies are a bit... Bethesda-y. 

Then I tried was exporting my player's head and making a follower which was a tedious process and the body morphs didn't transfer properly.

I've tried using Alternate Actors which lets you take over control of NPCs and, in theory, you just use 'showracemenu', edit the NPC you've take control of and that's that. It doesn't work however which is a shame.

Turns out there is a way using Familiar Faces which allows you to make any of your previous player characters into followers ...but unfortunately it only works with RaceMenu and not Enhanced Character Edit!

So I looked into RaceMenu, installed it along with Skeleton Sliders but, even when it did work, the customization was still quite limited for body morphs.

So I have two questions really:

1. Using Enhanced Character Edit is there an easy way to make your player into a follower?
  2. Using RaceMenu is there a way to make it as customizable as Enhanced Character Edit?

Thank you! ?

1 hour ago, daedal said:

imo racemenu is way better in numerous ways

Yeah I think lot of people would agree with you there, it looks like a lot more people use RaceMenu, it's just there's not enough body morphing compared to ECE.

1 hour ago, Crw said:

There's no easy way. In a way you mean it.
Hmm. I recommend a different approach. I use it myself.
And no matter what you use RM ore ECE. You can always save your character's appearance via console.
Check tutorial below

Thanks for the help although this was something I've already tried - the issue is that this process only exports the head meshes from the player.

25 minutes ago, SIRRINRISS2 said:

Yeah I think lot of people would agree with you there, it looks like a lot more people use RaceMenu, it's just there's not enough body morphing compared to ECE.

if you look at my blog all the characters i make there are with racemenu

also, racemenu has access to bodyslide morphs and the skeleton morphs 

I always used familiar faces for it when imma needing a player character fer a story or something, but it's far faaaaaar from ideal, tending to bork out and need completely resetting after a while of use. Crw's tutorial is prolly a better way to do it, but since they're mostly one shot characters I only need for a short while, ehhh, FF is easier.

36 minutes ago, daedal said:

if you look at my blog all the characters i make there are with racemenu

also, racemenu has access to bodyslide morphs and the skeleton morphs 

^This

Wi' UUNP installed there's pretty much no body part that can't be morphed how yer want them.

10 hours ago, The First Lady of Hats said:

I always used familiar faces for it when imma needing a player character fer a story or something, but it's far faaaaaar from ideal, tending to bork out and need completely resetting after a while of use. Crw's tutorial is prolly a better way to do it, but since they're mostly one shot characters I only need for a short while, ehhh, FF is easier.

^This

Wi' UUNP installed there's pretty much no body part that can't be morphed how yer want them.

I'll show you what I mean:

Here are the body morphs in RaceMenu:

Spoiler

ScreenShot2.jpg.adb89397038dc9c2082a16eb8f480232.jpg

Of which there's 20 morphs

And these are the body morphs in Enhanced Character Edit:

Spoiler

ScreenShot4.jpg.66f5facf7016d09e9b250cac8c891c98.jpgScreenShot6.jpg.42b2f12eee0698a8cde41b123337f853.jpgScreenShot8.jpg.4e707e4d1d5ae35ce88670e4d12791b2.jpgScreenShot10.jpg.7896fca91f642f2812d120fcad08fd78.jpgScreenShot11.jpg.fb9d809952d02048f6ff3fdbbed228f8.jpg

Of which there's 41 morphs before I've even installed both the extensions! So there's more than double the morphs at least!

Maybe I'm missing some RaceMenu extensions or something lol

14 hours ago, SIRRINRISS2 said:

So I've been using Enhanced Character Edit for the longest time and it's great, it comes with two extensions including the enhancer and extra sliders so you can pretty much make any edit to your character you want, the only thing it is missing is an easy way to turn your created character into a follower and I've always wanted to do that!

Here's what I tried:

• Copying the player and setting as follower - doesn't work that well and a bit buggy, they still seem to share your unique ID.
  • Creating a follower with the player's head - didn't work that well either, the body morphs didn't match and the process was too long to be worth the hassle.
  • Using Alternate Actors to edit an NPC - didn't work at all but was a nice idea.
  • Using Familiar Faces with RaceMenu - the best option by far except RaceMenu doesn't seem to have as much customization possibilities.

More details bellow here:

Reveal hidden contents

So the first thing I tried was the obvious and created a copy of the player and made the copy into a follower but this didn't really work very well as the copies have some issues ... like if you're a girl when you make your copy and you want to play as a guy the copy character changes sex as well and starts talking in a guys voice! ? The copies are a bit... Bethesda-y. 

Then I tried was exporting my player's head and making a follower which was a tedious process and the body morphs didn't transfer properly.

I've tried using Alternate Actors which lets you take over control of NPCs and, in theory, you just use 'showracemenu', edit the NPC you've take control of and that's that. It doesn't work however which is a shame.

Turns out there is a way using Familiar Faces which allows you to make any of your previous player characters into followers ...but unfortunately it only works with RaceMenu and not Enhanced Character Edit!

So I looked into RaceMenu, installed it along with Skeleton Sliders but, even when it did work, the customization was still quite limited for body morphs.

So I have two questions really:

1. Using Enhanced Character Edit is there an easy way to make your player into a follower?
  2. Using RaceMenu is there a way to make it as customizable as Enhanced Character Edit?

Thank you! ?

From the ECE Mod Page - and it works.

Q. I want to apply face data made by ECE sliders to NPC.
You can import face morph to NPC.
? Body sliders, hair and colors cannot be applied.

1. First, make face you want to transport in showracemenu. The last face you make is saved in NoseType32.
  2. Load Skyrim.esm in CK, and save/create esp. Example Lydia.esp.
  3. Check and make the esp “active file”, load with “CharacterMaikingExtender.esp”. In addition, load hair esp/esm if you use.
  4. Select the actor you want to change, click the Reset All button and then select NoseType32 in the Character Gen tab.
  5. Edit the hair and makeup in Chargen Parts tab. Click the OK after editing.
  6. Output the actor selected to mesh with Ctrl + F4. Save it, temporarily.
  7. If you don't need CharacterMakingExtender.esp as master file, push the Ctrl + Delete deregistrate master in File->Data window->Parent Masters, and then load and save.
  8. That’s all.
19 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

From the ECE Mod Page - and it works.

Q. I want to apply face data made by ECE sliders to NPC.
You can import face morph to NPC.
? Body sliders, hair and colors cannot be applied.

1. First, make face you want to transport in showracemenu. The last face you make is saved in NoseType32.
  2. Load Skyrim.esm in CK, and save/create esp. Example Lydia.esp.
  3. Check and make the esp “active file”, load with “CharacterMaikingExtender.esp”. In addition, load hair esp/esm if you use.
  4. Select the actor you want to change, click the Reset All button and then select NoseType32 in the Character Gen tab.
  5. Edit the hair and makeup in Chargen Parts tab. Click the OK after editing.
  6. Output the actor selected to mesh with Ctrl + F4. Save it, temporarily.
  7. If you don't need CharacterMakingExtender.esp as master file, push the Ctrl + Delete deregistrate master in File->Data window->Parent Masters, and then load and save.
  8. That’s all.

Thanks for your help but unfortunately this only exports the face and it's the body sliders I want to transfer as well.

8 minutes ago, SIRRINRISS2 said:

Thanks for your help but unfortunately this only exports the face and it's the body sliders I want to transfer as well.

You are using for your character in game Bodyslider or only Bodyslide for creation of femalebody_0 and femalebody_1?

Incidentally, the import (as described above) also works when using Racemenu.
Do not delete the following folder (when changing from ECE to Racemenu):

Data\meshes\actors\character\facegenmorphs\morphs\ece

As example.
Here is my PC

Spoiler

pc_ece.thumb.png.4147eae68967b543c04efceb61be7c6d.png

and here Ysolda

Spoiler

ysolda_ece.thumb.png.63fa20c0991cf5d0a3c6a99a7044a4ff.png

both with my old ece morphs, although I have been using Racemenu for years.

After import the ece morphs in ck - you can change everything - as you can see well at ysolda.

31 minutes ago, The First Lady of Hats said:

Most likely because I have 90 of 'em.

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpg

Hmm interesting, I notice you're using UUNP whereas I use CBBE. What mods do you have? ?

30 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

You are using for your character in game Bodyslider or only Bodyslide for creation of femalebody_0 and femalebody_1?

Incidentally, the import (as described above) also works when using Racemenu.
Do not delete the following folder (when changing from ECE to Racemenu):

Data\meshes\actors\character\facegenmorphs\morphs\ece

As example.
Here is my PC

Reveal hidden contents

pc_ece.thumb.png.4147eae68967b543c04efceb61be7c6d.png

and here Ysolda

Reveal hidden contents

ysolda_ece.thumb.png.63fa20c0991cf5d0a3c6a99a7044a4ff.png

both with my old ece morphs, although I have been using Racemenu for years.

After import the ece morphs in ck - you can change everything - as you can see well at ysolda.

A bit of both, I use bodyslide for the general shape and ECE for the morphs in game such as height, torso and limb length.

So it looks like the bodyslide morphs can be used on the created character at least

1 minute ago, SIRRINRISS2 said:

A bit of both, I use bodyslide for the general shape and ECE for the morphs in game such as height, torso and limb length.

So it looks like the bodyslide morphs can be used on the created character at least

I knew it. ;)

But height, torso etc, are not morphs. These are bone scaling. NPC height can you make in CK.

But for all others, you need a script or a standalone NPC mod with own skeleton.

17 minutes ago, SIRRINRISS2 said:

Hmm interesting, I notice you're using UUNP whereas I use CBBE. What mods do you have? ?

As far as I remember the morphs came from heroleyenda, installed her all in one option because too lazy to go hunting individual bodies, textures and hdt's down

I remember there was a cbbe option in the same installer, but I couldnae tell you if it comes with the same morphs as well, never used that option.

18 hours ago, SIRRINRISS2 said:

easy way to turn your created character into a follower

So if I read this right you just want to turn your PC into a follower sorta a twin? If so just use the player. placeatme command I have done it before works just fine.... But again I may have miss read it.

5 hours ago, The First Lady of Hats said:

Far as I remember 's a Ninirim one. Download's on his patreon site but 's a free download, only the thot versions are walled behind septims.  :]

Well, the armour torso is Hercules' Might from Ninirim's BDO, but the pants and gauntlets are from something else and it's the gauntlets which actually interest me!

EDIT: I eventually found the gloves. They're part of Ninirim's Bless MD 0001 set, which I already have, luckily.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i kinda discovered a better and easy way to customize the npcs. It is the most customizable way i found to this day.It works only with racemenu, sorry.

First you need to install alternate actors (assuming you already have racemenu installed and working), It will expand the racemenu customization on the npcs. The thing is, you dont use the spells that came with this mod to become the npc.

Second, you install the manipulator mod, it has an option on the MCM menu. You have to point to your npc, go to the mcm mod menu of the manipulator, and then open racemenu cosmetic.

You will the that because you installed alternate actors, the racemenu for the npc will have a lot more options than if you just installed the manipulator and used the mcm racemenu.

With this 2 mods combined, you can edit body parts just like bodyslide morphs in game for racemenu. You can chance body scales also, but you cant change eye, hair and skin color or weight. Despite that, you have access to body paints and all. Also presets are not possible to use with npc.

So what i do is i have familiar faces installed. I use racemenu on my character, put the preset i want and create a follower using familiar faces. Also, your preset must not contain hdt hair(put bald hairstyle), because if you put hdt hair, follower will vanish. After that I teleport the follower to me, and to add some hair I have installed some HDT hair wigs and with the procedure mentioned above, i tweak the body of my follower like im using bodyslide ingame. It can have different body proportions compared to your character preset

Simplifying: Very fast method. You have to have face presets that you want for your followers saved in the racemenu. For each follower use racemenu on yourself, export the racemenu face preset you want to your follower and use familiar faces to create npc. After thar, use what i said to open racemenu on the npc and tweak body proportions. Put a wig on the follower and you have it!

PS: post not written in the best way and maybe some redundancy, english is not my native language. If you have any doubts, post a reply...

Archived