Basic Facial Animation

labrat

..and I mean basic.

peruse this:

post-15081-13597879910752_thumb.jpg

Note the gormless gob open expression on her face? That is just adding a BigAah to the animation (401b in this case). I understand that nobody has been putting facial expressions into the Sexout animations because they thought it was too difficult. Like most things to do with Beth games it ain't, but finding out how to do it isn't made easy.

All you need to do is add at least two controllers to the .kf

Repeat after me: "NifSkope is my friend...Nifskope is my friend...nifskope is my friend..."

post-15081-13597879911122_thumb.jpg

"But how?" I hear you wail.

Dead easy. You could do it from scratch, but why not do what I did and copy one from someone else? I'll attach a couple of .kfs to the post and you can take it from there.

step one: copy these two branches (select-rightclick-copy branch)

and then go to the animation that you want to add them to, select the top level and paste branch. They should appear at the bottom of the block list, note the numbers.

step two: go to your top level and increment the number of controlled blocks by two and hit the green swirly to refresh.

step three: edit the first block like this. It's just telling the .kf to expect HeadAnims

step four: edit the second block like this. This one tells the anim which expression to use. Add more of these blocks to combo up expressions. You only need to change the expression field. (Remember to increment the number of controlled blocks after you copypaste the block)

And that folks is all there is to it. Seriously. 10 minute job. You can make it much more complicated by playing with the data of the NiGeomMorpherController. The default here is that the face expression is 1 (100%) from start (0).

Here are three edited .kfs 401b, 201b and 203b.

(EDIT: 20/10/12 18:04gmt 201b not working but .kf looks ok so I suspect the calling package is allowing animations to be overridden e.g. by not setting up AI packages in a way that prevents default head taking over. I'll leave it in so someone else can see if they can spot the problem. If that's in Prideslayer's hidden stuff then, dang it you're bangshoot outta luck.

EDIT: 20/10/12 20:00gmt And I sometimes see something I never have seen in my FO:3 packages - run on of the facial past the animation end until something else replaces it. Probably 'cause in my stuff I end the encounter with a "now do this" idle call that resets everything. As these are looping anims and I want to avoid a goldfish gulping look I'll have to live with it or carefully work out a way of timing a stop.)

ANIMATION.7z

Oh yes, btw, in the top picture she's scaled to .8 (I just used my companion character for the demo and I always scale them to 0.8) which is why she's well below target and you can see the mouth clearly. I haven't edited the .kfs for the smaller model yet.

REQUEST:

In FO:3 (and Oblivion) you had the use of a fairly large subset of the facegen morphs. A quick trial seems to suggest that Beth in their wisdom have pruned that right back. Google isn't helping me here, does anyone know what the subset of Facegen morphs allowed in FO:NV is?

Fell free to have a go' date=' Prideslayer probably has some more info on why it hasn't been easily done yet ond how to integrate it. Send him a PM or he may get back to you inthis thread, he's busy on RL work for a bit currently, he'll be back.

[/quote']

@Halstrom

Thank you. I will. It's done. I think "it hasn't easily been done" because nobody really knew what they were looking at. It is (should be) easy. If it isn't working properly it's not, alas, the fault of the animations. The additions I show above seem to be the correct procedure for integrating facial animations into an idle animation. They seem to work in other (open source) environments. Two of the three examples work as advertised. As regards integration; all you should have to do is edit the .kf animation in your (in this instance) "takers" directory.

To get facial animations to play consistently as you want you have to tell the engine to ignore any competition for control of the model's head.

I will let you know if or when I find out how the controls managed by Prideslayer should be amended to prevent silly glitches.

@DoctaSax.

More info please. In my experience facial expressions stick if a) they are started and there is no logical reason given to stop them (i.e. they are not weighted value 0 when the animation terminates) B) they are not overridden by an animation call that uses another facial expression, eg the default. As it happens I'm not too bothered if my partner hangs around looking gormless for a brief while after she's finished. But it shouldn't happen. I'll play with the logic of the animation as I have unrestricted access to that. I really don't want to have to hack Prideslayer's stuff any more than I have to.

I'm more bothered that simple combination and timing systems aren't transferring from FO:3. EG I've previously used three elements of oral gape BigAah, N, and OpenSmile to give a wide stretch (suitable for SuperMutants ;)) and was interested to see if I could induce a suck/swallow motion (previously manipulation of a neck bone has worked wonders here).

as they combine in FaceGen (and FO:3)

post-15081-13597879927916_thumb.jpg

No joy. I can get BigAhh to open and close as I want but no combos are showing.

Some reasons suggest themselves as possibles (there are probably others)

(1) The FaceGen Morph set has shrunk again (hence the request)

(2) NifSkope is not correctly translating the .kf files for NV

(3) A hidden control mechanism only partially understands/interprets/engages the way animations work in FO:NV

(4) I have misunderstood the way the animation system works in FO:NV

'Though, to be fair, I should say that case 4 is extremely unlikely ;)

Nice. Maybe you can start up an open community project to add facial animations into existing Sexout animations. Nifskope is definitely not my friend and I dont want to have the extra burden of having to deal with it.

Curious, how does your method differ from this: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Facial_expressions_in_custom_animations ? This is what I tried and it never came off, I reckoned it was some F3>FNV quirk and left it at that.

Nice. Maybe you can start up an open community project to add facial animations into existing Sexout animations. Nifskope is definitely not my friend and I dont want to have the extra burden of having to deal with it.

What's an open community project? Anyone can do this and post their anims here - zipped because the attachment tool doesn't recognise .kf as a legal attachment' date=' then anyone who wants can put them into their sexout folder in idleanims. If Prideslayer et al want to put them into official sexout releases I don't see how anyone could complain, most of the animations here are derivative and have been through several evolutions from primitive versions released by god knows who god knows when.

As the mood takes me and I get pissed off by some immersion killing blank expression I will add a bit of facial movement, (my other bugbears are adding breathing/chest heaving, and getting other orifices to open round the penetration). We shouldn't be satisfied with the automata and mannikins that we've got at present.

If I think an animation or texture or whatever will pass muster (what's good enough for me may not be good enough for general release) I post it here.

Curious, how does your method differ from this: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Facial_expressions_in_custom_animations ? This is what I tried and it never came off, I reckoned it was some F3>FNV quirk and left it at that.

It's exactly the same method, and as far as I know the correct method for adding a HeadAnim facial expression though I think there are some expressions that are not on the list there (eg. SmileOpen). I'll have to dig out my list, which I think I got off the wiki too but obviously not this exact page.

I never had any trouble in FO:3 but then I write the "harnesses" as well for my bits of animation. In FO:NV it seems to work OK if not consistently for all animations. I don't think that any glitches are due to an FO:3 / FO:NV .kf change, but who knows, my money is something in the extender doesn't know or care about face anims.

Nifskope can be daunting I think hence the deep breaths and calming mantra before getting stuck in. It's weird. It's actually quite straightforward and useful as a tool, but it seems to screw up in ever so inventive ways. You can do something quite simple and then spend hours trying to work out whether...if...what NifSkope actually did with your efforts.

Wow' date=' that big ah + n + open smile + seems perfect for a facial/swallow animation, provided Sexout would allow for the sperm projectile animation and accompanying textures.

[/quote']

:heart:

I hope this winds up being feasible. (If you can cross the uncanny divide, that is.) Facial animations really sell or bomb a lot of the animations, at least in Oblivion.

Is there anyone working on trying to get ejacualation animations working? There's one in Oblivion anims, but that's all I've heard about.

@Labrat

Open community project is when you put out instructions for some fix or mod and let other users apply said fix instead of you doing all the hard work. Kinda like sharing the work load over the community instead of one guy slaving hours to do it himself. Of course this mean you have less control over what is produced but since sexout wont take animations unless specifically inserted by Pride(at least for new ones anyway) there can be some control over what is added into Sexout.

Particularly helpful for people who dont want to mess around with nifskope......like me.

@Labrat

Open community project is when you put out instructions for some fix or mod and let other users apply said fix instead of you doing all the hard work. Kinda like sharing the work load over the community instead of one guy slaving hours to do it himself. Of course this mean you have less control over what is produced but since sexout wont take animations unless specifically inserted by Pride(at least for new ones anyway) there can be some control over what is added into Sexout.

Yep' date=' everything I put out is OCP then :). It's intended for use and example as I learn off everyone else as I try to improve my game and then broadcast any gleanings for the benefit of all. It seems to go against the modding ethos to restrict access to methods or material. And as you say, always a chance some other bugger will do some work too.

Of course this mean you have less control over what is produced...

And let's face it who the fuck would want to be a control freak over what is largely the work of those who have gone before? Games have a shelf life, modders have short lifespans before RL and other interests take them away, and players drift in and out like shoals of goldfish.

...sexout wont take animations unless specifically inserted by Pride

That's quite understandable for a community level mod, (albeit one that has become the de facto property of one individual), and official releases of course.

But what about those of us who would like to make improvements to their own version of Sexout on their own machines? It isn't, at first glance, as trivial to change the extender as it was to work with the LoversPK and Sexus families who both keep within the provided and generally accessible interface of the CS/Geck. It would however be a little easier if Prideslayer had made the SRC available. I think that he is unique in the community for not doing so. Or am I being dense and he has, just not with the download?

Of course, Prideslayer may have good reasons for making it difficult to make personal changes to the extender and I would be happy to hear what those reasons were.

@Labrat

Yep' date=' everything I put out is OCP then :). It's intended for use and example as I learn off everyone else as I try to improve my game and then broadcast any gleanings for the benefit of all. It seems to go against the modding ethos to restrict access to methods or material. And as you say, always a chance some other bugger will do some work too.

Of course this mean you have less control over what is produced...

And let's face it who the fuck would want to be a control freak over what is largely the work of those who have gone before? Games have a shelf life, modders have short lifespans before RL and other interests take them away, and players drift in and out like shoals of goldfish.

...sexout wont take animations unless specifically inserted by Pride

That's quite understandable for a community level mod, (albeit one that has become the de facto property of one individual), and official releases of course.

But what about those of us who would like to make improvements to their own version of Sexout on their own machines? It isn't, at first glance, as trivial to change the extender as it was to work with the LoversPK and Sexus families who both keep within the provided and generally accessible interface of the CS/Geck. It would however be a little easier if Prideslayer had made the SRC available. I think that he is unique in the community for not doing so. Or am I being dense and he has, just not with the download?

Of course, Prideslayer may have good reasons for making it difficult to make personal changes to the extender and I would be happy to hear what those reasons were.

The source is available online (check the thread for the link) just not always up to date. But what would you want to change? Everything pertaining to the animations is in the mod itself, not extender as far as I know.

As for adding animations, there is info on how to test/add animations in "NG - how to add anims.txt"

• 4 weeks later...

I just tried it today and it worked, thanks for explaining the steps. I have no excuse not to add them into my animations now ;) Is it possible to give me the link to the list of facial animations available for FNV? The link I posted is not suitable for FNV save for a few odd ones. Thanks.

I just tried it today and it worked' date=' thanks for explaining the steps. I have no excuse not to add them into my animations now ;) Is it possible to give me the link to the list of facial animations available for FNV? The link I posted is not suitable for FNV save for a few odd ones. Thanks.

[/quote']

This oblivion list still applies as the GECK links to it.

FAFF is also part of Sexout and supported by my skeleton so its list is also available.

Also, if you have FaceGen, you can preview the standard non-FAFF list quite easily.

Well nothing besides the "big ahh" seems to be working. I tried one that I thought might be the most likely to be used most often, "combat anger", but even that dosent seem to work. Havent tried the FAFF ones since Im using another skeleton but if vanilla isnt working then Im not gonna bother with the FAFF ones until I can get confirmation that it works.

Open to advice here. Anyway Im just gonna continue releasing anims. Any new discovery in facial animations can be added retroactively, including FAFF ones so no big deal. Damn....so close.

Well nothing besides the "big ahh" seems to be working. I tried one that I thought might be the most likely to be used most often' date=' "combat anger", but even that dosent seem to work. Havent tried the FAFF ones since Im using another skeleton but if vanilla isnt working then Im not gonna bother with the FAFF ones until I can get confirmation that it works.

Open to advice here. Anyway Im just gonna continue releasing anims. Any new discovery in facial animations can be added retroactively, including FAFF ones so no big deal. Damn....so close.

[/quote']

Are you running reset.kf after each attempt? Also with Fallout 3/NV, the animations have been made much more subtle than their Oblivion counterparts and can actually be difficult to even see happen. Seriously, people complained about Oblivion's over the top facial expressions and they went too far in the reverse. Now combat anger seems like a good test since that one works very well and isn't subtle at all (seen enough hot looking raiders intent on giving me lead poisoning with that expression).

As for using a different skeleton, is it one I can incorporate functionality into mine from or does it contain custom bones and/or bones from skeletons I'm unlikely to get permission to include?

• 5 months later...

Yeah, I think everybody will know about it when it becomes possible. *When* ... 

hopefully that "when" is soon™

It'll be a lot sooner if someone new would like to step up and work on it as most of us are already busy on other things.

Yeah, I think everybody will know about it when it becomes possible. *When* ... 

hopefully that "when" is soon™

It'll be a lot sooner if someone new would like to step up and work on it as most of us are already busy on other things.

I'd like to help but i'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to stuff like code and mods. but i can try to read up on the geck and see if there is anything i can contribute.

Archived