Question about textures...and folders.

If this is stupid...sorry, but I have a question that hopefully someone can answer.  

Is it possible to install a mod, say a Flora Overhaul of some kind or trees...and find other mods with flowers or different trees, and manually drop in those meshes and textures instead?  Like if I'm using Flora Overhaul, can I take someone else's deathbell flower textures and replace them with SFO's folder?  I'm trying to maintain a cleaner mod list...

1 hour ago, Awkward Nymph said:

If this is stupid...sorry, but I have a question that hopefully someone can answer.  

Is it possible to install a mod, say a Flora Overhaul of some kind or trees...and find other mods with flowers or different trees, and manually drop in those meshes and textures instead?  Like if I'm using Flora Overhaul, can I take someone else's deathbell flower textures and replace them with SFO's folder?  I'm trying to maintain a cleaner mod list...

Hello,

if both mods do not overwrite same texture files, you can use both. If they overwrite the same textures from the original, you will get, what came as last installation.

If you want a mix of both, you have to manually check all the stuff what you prefer and create from both a new mixed mod (that will be taking lot of time). Some mods also exchange meshes of plants and this can cause another mismatch if using 2 different mods together. If you know which sort of trees you want to change (textures/meshes), you can in that case edit that mod and delete other parts away and then create again a installable 7z-data-file. Then you can install that particial-mod and you get the change of trees only. As long you work with mod managers, you can try some combinations and should be able to find what you like. Normally you won´t damage your gameplay with such mods, if you install them by MO or by NMM.

If the esp switches the textures using texture sets then just switching out the meshes won't override the textures, the ESP will force the incorrect textures. You need to remove the texture swap references for the meshes you are replacing.

Otherwise, it's not usually a problem. I run 4-5 armor replacers this way with custom meshes, but some editing of the mod files is necessary.

1 hour ago, Pauduan said:

If the esp switches the textures using texture sets then just switching out the meshes won't override the textures, the ESP will force the incorrect textures. You need to remove the texture swap references for the meshes you are replacing.

Otherwise, it's not usually a problem. I run 4-5 armor replacers this way with custom meshes, but some editing of the mod files is necessary.

Ok, thank makes sense, thank you.

So...if there isn't an esp, but just loose textures, then I can just casually replace objects within a folder with outsider files?  I'm trying to get more variety in my landscapes.

49 minutes ago, Awkward Nymph said:

I'm trying to get more variety in my landscapes.

That might result in immersion breaking effects along the edges of the polygons. e.g. the edge of a polygon from mod A might have plants and be butting up to a polygon from mod B which has just grass.

8 hours ago, Awkward Nymph said:

Ok, thank makes sense, thank you.

So...if there isn't an esp, but just loose textures, then I can just casually replace objects within a folder with outsider files?  I'm trying to get more variety in my landscapes.

If you're handy with manual installs then yes - back up the entire folder so you can roll back if things get messed up. Note the warning above carefully though, as total overhauls like SFO are usually designed to be used without any other similar mods as the meshed literally touch each other and if you mix meshes it could be problematic. I do mix SMIMs juniper tree with SFO and haven't noticed issues though, so you'll have to go case-by-case. You could consider re-texturing by editing the texture to colour of your liking. SFO also has a pretty bitchin esp, so be warned.

Here's a couple of not very good examples of what I meant. I use Summer Edition and a grass mod here, not sure if I was using SFO at this stage. In the first shot some of the trees have snow on them which isn't that big of a deal. In the second you can see the straight line in the snow on the mountain in the top RH corner.

5ae1a9a5e638e_enb2018_04_1520_24_49_77.thumb.jpg.0bf589f7dbdd46321902d055e9af0d6d.jpg

5ae1a9eb9d82c_enb2018_04_1520_25_44_44.thumb.jpg.db8a80db414d55cd2b374d34771e6304.jpg

Archived