Can someone please teach me how to remove parts of an armor using Outfit Studio?

Can someone please teach me how to

remove parts of an armor using Outfit Studio?

I just want to remove the chest part of the female

draugr armor UUNP

If you don't want to delete it from the nif entirely, then you can zap it instead of delete the part. If the part is already separate then your good to go and can just add a zap slider from the slider menu and name it. If not, then be careful when masking so you don't remove something else. You don't usually need to completely darken the area in tight spots with the mask tool, so long as you catch it some it should work in the zap. If your masking to invert and delete selected vertices, then be careful what you mask as it is easy to touch something you didn't want to.

1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

If you don't want to delete it from the nif entirely, then you can zap it instead of delete the part. If the part is already separate then your good to go and can just add a zap slider from the slider menu and name it. If not, then be careful when masking so you don't remove something else. You don't usually need to completely darken the area in tight spots with the mask tool, so long as you catch it some it should work in the zap. If your masking to invert and delete selected vertices, then be careful what you mask as it is easy to touch something you didn't want to.

can you give me a quick breakdown of

how to do Zap Sliders on an armor?

1 hour ago, ~ Deathstalker said:

can you give me a quick breakdown of

how to do Zap Sliders on an armor?

Sure. If a part is already separated like the panties or top or something, then click on that part in the right pane for the list of the outfit and then go to the slider menu and choose new zap slider and then name it. Save this in the project and close out BodySlide entirely. Then re-open it and your outfit with the new zap should be there.

In case the part you want to zap is not already separate, then you need to mask the part that you want, invert the mask, then choose new zap slider and name it. Note that sometimes it helps if you disable textures in the edit tab to better see what you're doing. You can use the "undo" part of the edit menu to erase whatever you just did. Also remember to do the masking in "strokes". That way if you touch something you didn't want to you won't lose everything you did when you undo something. Once you finish, save the project and close, then reopen BS to check. If you mess up a zap, then open the project again and just go to the new zap slider at the bottom of the slider list, delete it, and try again. Hope this helps, I am no expert.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Is there a way to delete certain vertices but leave the link to those that are not deleted? Like I have 5 vertices in a row, delete the 3 in the middle but want the other two to stay connected?

If I just click at "Delete Vertices" I create a hole inside the armor/outfit ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 11:52 PM, Felloutof said:

Is there a way to delete certain vertices but leave the link to those that are not deleted? Like I have 5 vertices in a row, delete the 3 in the middle but want the other two to stay connected?

If I just click at "Delete Vertices" I create a hole inside the armor/outfit ...

14 hours ago, Yoda16 said:

I have a question. I deleted some vertices of an armor. And then when I reload the nif or test it ingame everything is black. 

Why does it kill all textures? 

Unfortunately all vertices are needed in order to map the textures properly over an armor. There are a few ways to 'delete' (AKA make invisible) some portions of the armor.

1. Apply a masking area to the armor in outfit studio. Requires a lot of finesse and accurate brush painting to apply properly. This masking is then made into a zap slider.

or

2. If the armor has several individual armor meshes (i.e. armor parts), they can be deleted in outfit studio or Nifskope.

or

3. Apply an alpha transparency layer to the texture file so that the texture section comes up as invisible. Requires Photoshop, the relevant DDS plugins and an understanding of what part of the texture gets mapped onto. I can illustrate a small example of this with the Shudad Armor from the Team TAL BDO pack.

Here is the Shudad armor example

34482845514_67ff59f5e4_b.jpg.724bcfc84ebeb482931c0a13f5aff605.jpg

And in Photoshop I apply an alpha transparency channel (red) to cover up the cloth areas.

Untitled-2.jpg.587c753abc455e5a28547598b683e818.jpg

and this is how the armor appears in game with the cloth areas removed.

20200309153548_1.jpg.8c4279cc41abf3bfc1d245834d29750b.jpg

1 hour ago, Derpakiin said:

Unfortunately all vertices are needed in order to map the textures properly over an armor. There are a few ways to 'delete' (AKA make invisible) some portions of the armor.

1. Apply a masking area to the armor in outfit studio. Requires a lot of finesse and accurate brush painting to apply properly. This masking are is then made into a zap slider.

or

2. If the armor has several individual armor meshes, they can be deleted in outfit studio or Nifskope.

or

3. Apply an alpha transparency layer to the texture file so that the texture section comes up as invisible. Requires Photoshop, the relevant DDS plugins and an understanding of what part of the texture gets mapped onto. I can illustrate a small example of this with the Shudad Armor from the Team TAL BDO pack.

Here is the Shudad armor example

Reveal hidden contents

34482845514_67ff59f5e4_b.jpg.724bcfc84ebeb482931c0a13f5aff605.jpg

And in Photoshop I apply an alpha transparency channel (red) to cover up the cloth areas.

Reveal hidden contents

Untitled-2.jpg.587c753abc455e5a28547598b683e818.jpg

and this is how the armor appears in game with the cloth areas removed.

Reveal hidden contents

20200309153548_1.jpg.8c4279cc41abf3bfc1d245834d29750b.jpg

I have followe this tutorial 

and he has done no such thing. 

5 minutes ago, Yoda16 said:

I have followe this tutorial 

and he has done no such thing. 

It's clear that his tutorial doesn't work otherwise you wouldn't be here asking about deleted vertices. He didn't even bother showing how his now deleted vertices work in game, so I have major doubts he even got his working.

Even if deleting vertices were to work, just look at the mess it leaves behind, jagged edges (shown by red lines) and half chopped off textures (like the knotted strings colored in blue) that you'll have to clean up in Photoshop anyway.

Untitled-2.jpg.c43b1f3b2ab93361db4c9b45292ba6d0.jpg

7 hours ago, Derpakiin said:

It's clear that his tutorial doesn't work otherwise you wouldn't be here asking about deleted vertices. He didn't even bother showing how his now deleted vertices work in game, so I have major doubts he even got his working.

This.

I tried his tutorial and as Derpakiin said, it just makes a mess of things.

9 hours ago, Derpakiin said:

Unfortunately all vertices are needed in order to map the textures properly over an armor.

That's a load of horse shit right there.

I use OS to delete massive chunks of meshes all the time and with the exception of a bug in one of the more recent versions (which might be the issue this person is experiencing?) there has never been an issue retaining UV.

1 hour ago, Yoda16 said:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/89849

I tried to remove the cloth part of the right breast on the apprentice robe, so it looks like this

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1384

That "blackish" texture that stands out a bit, right?

But hey... remember to do this on both mesh files for the robe (body_1 and body_0). Since you are deleting vertices this must be 100% identical.

You can do it in outfitstudio, but I think you need to make your edited mesh as a base for both max and minimum bodyweight.

You could also edit the texture file if you know your way in gimp/photoshop by simply deleting that black part of the texture image. But that might be more complicated since you have to learn new softwares :).

1 hour ago, Thor2000 said:

You could also edit the texture file if you know your way in gimp/photoshop by simply deleting that black part of the texture image. But that might be more complicated since you have to learn new softwares :).

Or you could use the UV editor in Nifskope (OS might have one, too?  Not sure.) and move it away without touching the texture itself.  Sometimes a better option, sometimes not.

2 hours ago, Seijin8 said:

That's a load of horse shit right there.

I use OS to delete massive chunks of meshes all the time and with the exception of a bug in one of the more recent versions (which might be the issue this person is experiencing?) there has never been an issue retaining UV.

Are you deleting vertices or are you deleting armor parts? Deleting armor parts is fine as I've outlined in my previous post, you can do that in either nifskope or outfit studio. Deleting vertices (the individual points) introduces problems. Now it may be a problem of outfit studio on it's own but that fact that this problem exists is a strong enough reason not to recommend this method to a newcomer, especially when they've already tried this and got poor results.

I've already listed 3 alternative paths for them to use which are known to work. It's up to them to pick one to use.

If you're so confident that your method works, then perhaps you should put in some effort into creating a detailed guide for these people instead of giving vague assurances that it works.

6 minutes ago, Derpakiin said:

Deleting vertices (the individual points) introduces problems.

Anything introduces problems if you don't know what you're doing. Like Seijin said there is no inherent issue with deleting vertices in OS and it works fine. 

40 minutes ago, Derpakiin said:

If you're so confident that your method works, then perhaps you should put in some effort into creating a detailed guide for these people instead of giving vague assurances that it works.

'Kay. (not downloading a 1gb armor replacer pack for this so we're using the apprentice robes from remodeled armor, same concept).

1: Open the Nif in OS, hide all the other bits (just to get them out of the way), turn off X mirroring

Spoiler

1.png.c6659a8d7c0e43a046910f83919ea568.png

2: Select the mask tool and mask part of the left area of the cloth (the right side was mentioned but the left side is what's removed in the example given and it makes more sense).

Spoiler

2.png.a89e06b255d908f44775aa6aaba892b9.png

3: Using the D (and A if you go too far) keys expand the masked region until it covers only the left side piece of cloth (you may need to add a little more "hand drawn" mask on the back, I did. OS will naturally stop for a bit while holding down the D key when you have fully masked a certain region, use this to make sure you have 100% of the desired region masked and nothing else)

Spoiler

3.png.7a62d52ae206ffcc9432e1b016f15630.png

3a.png.8ed4734eaaa88f1f58b73b986c267b52.png

4: Invert the mask (yes you could just start out by masking everything else and not have to invert but I think it's easier to mask the smaller part and invert YMMV)

Spoiler

4.png.265d9877dd6d3852b47b30d4702305c1.png

5: Delete vertices:

Spoiler

5a.png.8fec47f79e380b8ad2fc950d6d9a1611.png

6: Profit

Spoiler

6.png.aadf79471ccd3311b5a1d5589450b9db.png

The textures still work! Must be voodoo. Once you get the hang of it it's a ~10 second deal for something like this.

34 minutes ago, SpyVsPie said:

Anything introduces problems if you don't know what you're doing. Like Seijin said there is no inherent issue with deleting vertices in OS and it works fine. 

Bla bla bla. Big talk of 'know what you're doing' and then never going into any further details about the correct way to do it. Give the OP a guide or a clear instruction set on how to accomplish the task instead of being vague about it and then coming back later to point out something he did was wrong. The already followed the Youtube guide, so what else is there to do?

Plus if the vertex deletion method is so temperamental that a small mistake can result in the entire thing not working, then it makes sense to suggest another easier and simpler way to achieve the same result. That simpler way is to edit the alpha in the texture file or introduce a zap slider, as it has been done for the longest time.

Edit: Finally, someone made a guide. Now was that so hard to share knowledge? Could have ended the thread right there if someone had posted a guide earlier. Now let's see if it works for the OP.

20 minutes ago, Derpakiin said:

That simpler way is to edit the alpha in the texture file

Draw call clusterfuck and literally fucking retarded method that should NEVER be used. Ever.  See: Hothtrooper is an idiot, and his mod adds over almost a thousand calls per npc, which lags the game even further, including SSE.