Can someone please teach me how to remove parts of an armor using Outfit Studio?

18 minutes ago, SpyVsPie said:

'Kay. (not downloading a 1gb armor replacer pack for this so we're using the apprentice robes from remodeled armor, same concept).

1: Open the Nif in OS, hide all the other bits (just to get them out of the way), turn off X mirroring

Reveal hidden contents

1.png.c6659a8d7c0e43a046910f83919ea568.png

2: Select the mask tool and mask part of the left area of the cloth (the right side was mentioned but the left side is what's removed in the example given and it makes more sense).

Reveal hidden contents

2.png.a89e06b255d908f44775aa6aaba892b9.png

3: Using the D (and A if you go too far) keys expand the masked region until it covers only the left side piece of cloth (you may need to add a little more "hand drawn" mask on the back, I did. OS will naturally stop for a bit while holding down the D key when you have fully masked a certain region, use this to make sure you have 100% of the desired region masked and nothing else)

Reveal hidden contents

3.png.7a62d52ae206ffcc9432e1b016f15630.png

3a.png.8ed4734eaaa88f1f58b73b986c267b52.png

4: Invert the mask (yes you could just start out by masking everything else and not have to invert but I think it's easier to mask the smaller part and invert YMMV)

Reveal hidden contents

4.png.265d9877dd6d3852b47b30d4702305c1.png

5: Delete vertices:

Reveal hidden contents

5a.png.8fec47f79e380b8ad2fc950d6d9a1611.png

6: Profit

Reveal hidden contents

6.png.aadf79471ccd3311b5a1d5589450b9db.png

The textures still work! Must be voodoo. Once you get the hang of it it's a ~10 second deal for something like this.

That is exaclty what I did and what is described in the yt tutorial. But when u reload the outfit or try it ingame it looks like this

test.jpg

4 minutes ago, Yoda16 said:

That is exaclty what I did and what is described in the yt tutorial. But when u reload the outfit or try it ingame it looks like this

test.jpg

From the latest OS changelog, try updating to the latest version. 

Version 5.0.6

• Improvements:
  • Included CBBE Uniboob reference by Acro748.
  • Fixes:
  • BodySlide: Fixed preview crashing for meshes without UVs when using a slider.
  • Outfit Studio: Fixed UVs and more being lost after vertex deletions for LE.

59 minutes ago, 27X said:

Draw call clusterfuck and literally fucking retarded method that should NEVER be used. Ever.  See: Hothtrooper is an idiot, and his mod adds over almost a thousand calls per npc, which lags the game even further, including SSE.

This thread isn't discussing SSE. Also texture editing isn't going to make a difference with draw calling because the vertexes are still vanilla vertexes (none are deleted or added), it's only that the textures have the proper alpha channels that decide transparency. From my understanding draw calling efficiency is affected by the number of models present on a scene, so unless you plan on spawning hundreds of NPCs wearing the same edited outfit in the same area, then comparatively the texture edit change won't affect performance. In fact those people who carelessly download and install 4k texture mods would be more affected by draw call inefficiency.

59 minutes ago, Yoda16 said:

test.jpg

It's a good first try, but like I said before, it causes messy jagged edges. SpyVsPie mentioned an update to outfit studio that could fix this, so it's worth checking that out and seeing if it solves the problem for you.

19 minutes ago, Derpakiin said:

It's a good first try, but like I said before, it causes messy jagged edges. SpyVsPie mentioned an update to outfit studio that could fix this, so it's worth checking that out and seeing if it solves the problem for you.

The new version will likely only fix the black textures. I have an older version and no experience with that bug so I'm not sure but the jagged edges are likely just from imprecise masking. I found a version of that BD mod on my old PC so I was able to take a look at the exact mesh in question. Unlike the Remodeled armor version it doesn't have a natural stop point in the mesh that OS will break on when using A and D to expand or shrink the mask, It IS possible to delete just the part in question (pictures below) but it will take a bit of a light touch.

Spoiler

Yes I know the body texture is wrong, I don't use UNP I just have these outfits for conversions and mashups

1387313588_Screenshot(160).png.19ac97242d261ff2b164029e0617cb59.png

1050033405_Screenshot(161).png.b7206550a95fabcafb605dd643d9fc92.png

46 minutes ago, Derpakiin said:

This thread isn't discussing SSE. Also texture editing isn't going to make a difference with draw calling because the vertexes are still vanilla vertexes (none are deleted or added), it's only that the textures have the proper alpha channels that decide transparency. From my understanding draw calling efficiency is affected by the number of models present on a scene, so unless you plan on spawning hundreds of NPCs wearing the same edited outfit in the same area, then comparatively the texture edit change won't affect performance. In fact those people who carelessly download and install 4k texture mods would be more affected by draw call inefficiency.

this was just for showing the black textures^^ I can do it smoother. I will try the new update now, hope it works

1 minute ago, Yoda16 said:

this was just for showing the black textures^^ I can do it smoother. I will try the new update now, hope it works

Indeed, give it another go. I was almost about to download the mod so that I could make the changes myself out of frustration.

6 minutes ago, Yoda16 said:

it works with the new update.

This is what I have come up with. But I have literally no fucking idea what I am doing, just testing trial and error. But maybe I'll get into it.

test.jpg

test robes.7z 730.43 kB · 1 download

Looks really good except that you have a tiny part messed up on the lower back on both of them, it's easy for the mask tool to get away from you ?

2125148294_Screenshot(165).png.442a46af8058db855e64fd478739d5c5.png

If you do exactly what you did a second time but pay extra care not to accidentally get any masking on that part I think you'll have it 100%. Great job!

EDIT: And you're using the max weight version for everything, is that intentional? If your character is max weight and you don't care if the robes work with any other weight that will work fine but if you do want the weight slider to work you will need to do the same edit on the min and max weight versions. This is a big reason bodyslide is so nice for this sort of editing, just have to do it once.

6 minutes ago, Seijin8 said:

As has been made abundantly clear by others already, this too is a load of horse shit.

and as was made abundantly clear by the OP consistently having problems twice after following the posted guides, it's not horse shit.

It may work for you, but if it doesn't work for the OP, then it's prudent to offer alternatives.

Honestly I don't know why you people are insisting on a method that the OP is repeatedly having problems with when I already listed out 3 well known alternatives that already work. Zap sliders work, editing textures work, even deleting armor parts (if the mesh has them) also works. So even if this route doesn't work, he can give the other methods a try.

Also since you are offering to edit the mesh for him, it's probably the best approach which would have saved a lot of time.

4 minutes ago, Yoda16 said:

Ingame there is also a neck seam.

That's because you used the max weight version for both, you just have to make the same edit to the min weight and max weight version and that will clear up. 

I can also take a look at the meshes if you post them and Seijin doesn't get a chance first (the ones I have are already optimized for SSE so they will probably just give you a big ol' red exclamation point). 

6 minutes ago, Derpakiin said:

Honestly I don't know why you people are insisting on a method that the OP is repeatedly having problems with when I already listed out 3 well known alternatives that already work. Zap sliders work, editing textures work, even deleting armor parts (if the mesh has them) also works. So even if this route doesn't work, he can give the other methods a try.

Deleting armor parts is irrelevant to this specific situation (the part he wants gone is not a different armor part), creating zap sliders is basically the same exact process as deleting vertices as far as the masking (which is the only tricky part) is concerned and his only real problem was from a weird bug that was in a version of OS that was only up for like a day ?‍♂️. Now that that's sorted out he's already making good progress, all he really needs to do now is be a touch more careful of the lower back and repeat the same thing on the low weight mesh. He's like 80% of the way there. 

4 minutes ago, Derpakiin said:

and as was made abundantly clear by the OP consistently having problems twice after following the posted guides, it's not horse shit.

except...

17 minutes ago, Yoda16 said:

it works with the new update.

So it was a bug in the program, not an issue with the method.

And the OP was someone else entirely from two years ago, with a question specifically pertaining to Outfit Studio.

7 hours ago, Derpakiin said:

Excessive draw calls affect SSE more than they affect LE, so you're wrong there and it's already been shown by nif merging mods that paring nif collections down to one in the mesh itself improves base frame rate substantially. There's a reason player made single mesh buildings can hold more items and keep higher base framerate than vanilla.

This is factual, end of discussion.

On 5/1/2020 at 4:33 PM, 27X said:

Excessive draw calls affect SSE more than they affect LE, so you're wrong there and it's already been shown by nif merging mods that paring nif collections down to one in the mesh itself improves base frame rate substantially. There's a reason player made single mesh buildings can hold more items and keep higher base framerate than vanilla.

This is factual, end of discussion.

I didn't want to come back to this thread but I have to correct you on this one. You are talking about a different problem that has nothing to do with my suggestion of adding alpha channels to a texture file. A vast majority of armor mods utilize alpha channels from mod authors like COCO, to H2135, to Nini and more. Gomaperopero pose mods use alpha channels for the transparent object poses. Some vanilla armors, water effects and ghost effects use them.

You're addressing a problem with duplicate meshes and textures, which as I have already said, has nothing to do with alpha channels. Alpha channel edits an existing texture for transparency information. Alpha channels do not affect performance.

On 5/1/2020 at 4:13 AM, SpyVsPie said:

That's because you used the max weight version for both, you just have to make the same edit to the min weight and max weight version and that will clear up. 

Can't you just edit the Bodyslide Shapedata so the original outfit shape has the edit that will be made into weight _0 and _1?

54 minutes ago, Mez558 said:

Can't you just edit the Bodyslide Shapedata so the original outfit shape has the edit that will be made into weight _0 and _1?

Yup, that's definitely the best/easiest way but I believe he's trying to edit an outfit without BS data and isn't interested in converting it or he doesn't use it.

Archived