MOD-less Disaster Assistance?

bm2x

I was having some issues a while back, but I finally manager to get my Steam-copy of Skyrim to run with MODs (it would start up but then freeze on the load screen)

Now, I can run it in its vanilla glory, but if I try with ANY MOD (steam, nexus, my own or here) it opens the game but with no mods...

• 2 weeks later...

ModDrop is a website that provides an application to download, allows the piracy of mods and ignores the wishes of mod authors community.

Very simple: if you have downloaded their files, you're good to go but only to put them in the trash, there are some people complaining about corrupted files and issues. I have an ethic that I will never derogate from and I will not help you more on this subject until you make a decision that correlates with it. Sorry if the tone may seem a little rough but I prefer to warn you directly about the actions done on the named site.

Spoiler

GMOD and your Subscription(s) require the automatic download and installation of software and other content and updates onto your computer ("Software"). You may not use the Software for any purpose other than the permitted access to GMOD and your Subscriptions. You understand that for reasons that include, without limitation, system security, stability, and multiplayer interoperability, GMOD may need to automatically update, pre-load, create new versions or otherwise enhance the Software and accordingly, the system requirements to use the Software may change over time. You understand that neither this Agreement nor the terms associated with a particular Subscription entitles you to future updates, new versions or other enhancements of the Software associated with a particular Subscription although Olympus Entertainment may choose to provide such updates, etc. in its sole discretion.

The TOS of the site forces you to install an app if you register which includes tracking software so they can obtain marketing data which can be sold. You have to install that stuff to claim your account.

I warmly advise you to think carefully about what you have to do now.

GamerPoets Stop Mod Drop

ModDrop - what's this about?

ModDrop announcement - removed ability to subscribe to modpacks

Elianora just announced on Facebook she will hide all her mods from Nexus within some hours, and will explain why later.

I read that TOS but thought it was speaking about the software. I was under the impression that it it allowed 'MOD Bundles' to be shared as a package, instead of individually.  (ie: You like your setup so you put together a package that I can download and run my program with the same MODs for a similar experience)  I did not understand the language to mean that it was 3rd party involvement.

SO, I guess I need to delete MODDrop and associated files because I did not find the service to be very useful (too good to be true on all accounts it seems) and I do not appreciate the hidden agenda behind the service itself.  :confused:

11 hours ago, bm2x said:

SO, I guess I need to delete MODDrop and associated files because I did not find the service to be very useful (too good to be true on all accounts it seems) and I do not appreciate the hidden agenda behind the service itself.  :confused:

It would be wiser to consider this kind of decision, IMHO.

I do not want to drive you further in the head, but by looking a little more on the Net before downloading anything, you must be sure it is safe and does not have any negative consequences for your system.

An absolute rule of thumb that will avoids you such inconveniences: we check first and then click.

I've taken a tiny look on the previous threads you posted concerning your game install issues. I'm sorry you have been to went through so many problems and wish you all the best after getting rid of these unwanted files. Maybe you will have to go through tools adapted for this kind of thing, and make a sytem scan to be sure it is cleaned from all of these.

Don't hesitate if you need any help.

So as far as scanning my system do you recommend anything in particular?  Do I need to do a hard restart and begin from ground zero?  Is that the recommended course of action at this point?

I'm throwing myself on the mercy of those who know better. o.O

On 06/04/2018 at 10:25 PM, bm2x said:

So as far as scanning my system do you recommend anything in particular?  Do I need to do a hard restart and begin from ground zero?  Is that the recommended course of action at this point?

Performing first a scan with Malwarebytes may detect and quarantine most of Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP's) residing in your system. The Free version of the program will do. Please take a look at the corresponding LoversLab thread for more informations about the malware removal tool.

After a scan with Malwarebytes, I will also recommend using the ZHPDiag tool because it scans your system more deeply and create a report you can consult. For more specific use you can try ZHPCleaner designed to fight browser hijackers (Hijackers) as well as Farbar Recovery Scan Tools (abreviated FRST) but beware: they are powerful diagnostic tools that scan startup keys, services, scheduled tasks, list installed software and are able to execute scripts. These disinfection tools are to be used with extreme caution as they can render a computer unbootable when used incorrectly and removing the wrong items could make a valid software useless. I am not joking! And only download them through the official links - better to be safe than sorry, do you remember? :classic_wink:

You can eventually do a "Scan" with ZHPCleaner but do not use the "Clean" function unless you are certain of what you are doing and master the subject. If errors appear in the created log you can see what need to be fixed but the best is to ask for help in the moderation of experts on their dedicated sites (free registration and not requiring any counterpart, nor installation of paid software).

And warning about cleaning an operating system with the use of AdwCleaner, ComboFix, FRST, GMER, ZHPCleaner and the likes: don't use these tools unless specified by the experts there. They will guide you step by step in the disinfection procedures with the appropriate tools, here in French for ZHP, FRST, and there in English for FRST.

------------

EDIT - Note for moderation - all the linked softwares, tools and dedicated sites are official one and are FREE of use. In any case am I neither sponsored nor wishing to be sponsored in any way whatsoever, the solely benefit for me being happy by according some of my time to help users. I leave all discretion and decision to the Moderators of LoversLab regarding the possible withdrawal of these links. With regards, Fifoo.

EDIT-2 syntax error and update of ZHPDiag and ZHPCleaner functions.

Follow @Fifoo suggestion.

Make sure that your Skyrim is clean, look for Grimus guide how to clean it on Steam.

Install one modding tool, NMM or as many of us prefer MO since it is superior.

And we can help you further, several of us do also hangs around Steam.

Dont look for any mod packs, they may look good but they always mess things up.

okay, so DL/ran Malwarebytes (no prob) and ZHP (..possible prob: program speaks French, I do not) 

I like NMM b/c I have been using it, and I was not able to find a "clean" looking site to DL MO from.  (Yeah, I see the irony)

I am going to go cook dinner and then I will get on Steam and hit up that Grimus guide (MagusMartovich is my steam) because I would really enjoy playing modded skyrim!!  :-D

ZHPDiag - Diagnostics Tool - Tutorial in English:

Spoiler

ZHPDiag

OS: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10.

Program avalaible in French version only.

1. ZHPDiag Main Function

ZHPDiag is a FREE software that allows a quick and complete diagnosis of the operating system.

• He scans the Registry and lists sensitive areas that are likely to be hacked.
  • It is based on a module whitelist system that allows for shorter reports.
  • It detects a lot of malware.
  • It acts as an analyzer for most common infections.
  • At the end of the report, a detection list returns to descriptive files of the malware.

2. Terms Of Use:

Spoiler

Original Text translated into English:

TERMS OF USE

BY USING THIS SOFTWARE, YOU AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU REFUSE THEM, THEN DO NOT USE THE SOFTWARE.

1. PARTIES:
This contract is concluded between the developer of the software, says Nicolas Coolman (hereinafter referred to as the developer), and any user of this software, or, in the absence of the legal capacity to accept this contract, its legal representative (hereinafter referred to as the user, you).

2. PURPOSE OF THE CONTRACT:
This agreement applies to the software hereinafter referred to as ZHPCleaner (the software), downloaded from Nicolas Coolman's websites. It also applies to software updates, and any other related services that may be applicable.

3. DURATION:
This contract is concluded without limitation of duration. You can terminate it at any time by deleting the software.

4. RIGHTS OF USE:
The software is provided free of charge, but remains the exclusive property of its developer. Therefore, all rights not expressly granted to you in this agreement remain the responsibility of the developer.

4.1. INSTALLATION:
This agreement, if you have accepted it, allows you to install an unlimited number of copies of the software on your computer(s) for personal use.

4.2. USE :
Because the software is designed to work in a specific way, you must comply with the technical restrictions imposed by it.

4.3. TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE :
No technical support services will be provided due to the use of the software.

4.4. PRIVATE LIFE :
By using this software, you authorize the download of its report on the server of its publisher. This information is collected for the sole purpose of improving the detections made by the software. These data will remain confidential.

5. PROHIBITIONS:
Except as otherwise provided in your country, any use other than that provided for and authorized in these terms of use is prohibited, in particular:

5.1. DISTRIBUTION, SALE:
The software is available for download free of charge from Nicolas Coolman's websites. Any copy of the software provided by any source other than those designated above and without the express written permission of the developer constitutes an infringement.
As a result, you are prohibited from, among other things:
* Publish the software, including through a third party, without the developer's permission.
* Transfer the software or this contract to a third party.
* Sell, rent or lend the software to a third party.

5.2. MULTIMEDIA ELEMENTS:
The software remains the property of its developer, the multimedia elements that it contains, for example the name of the software or the logo associated with it, can not be used without the authorization of the developer.

5.3. CHANGES:
Only the normal use of the software, that is to say in accordance with its technical restrictions, is allowed. Therefore, are prohibited, including:
* bypassing or attempting to circumvent the technical restrictions contained in the software;
* Rebuild software logic, decompile or disassemble.

6. GUARANTEES:
Since the software is provided "as is", you acknowledge that it is likely to present risks related to its use. No guarantee will be given as to the results that may be obtained.
Similarly, the responsibility of the developer can not in any case be engaged in case of damage arising from the use of the software, including and without limitation the loss of data.

7. LITIGATION:
You acknowledge and agree that any dispute will be resolved before the competent French court.

8. MODIFICATION OF THESE TERMS:
You acknowledge and agree that these conditions may be subject to one or more subsequent amendments. It will still be possible to terminate the agreement by discontinuing use of this software.

3. ZHPDiag Tutorial

Designed and developed by Nicolas Coolman, the ZHPDiag software layout is in French and has no international version implemented - the official download link page is here. In this tutorial will be discussed four main points, its download, launch, report and update.

ZHPLangue.png.e041d4f4bcbb58badfea85cf9aa06b9c.png Download:

• Download ZHPDiag from Nicolas Coolman on your Windows desktop. It must be placed there for good functioning.

adware-pubs-32x32.png.ed6bac13f3884b09a75237d69b902669.png Launch:

• Stand on the ZHPDiag icon and do a right click on it,
  • Select the "Run with administrator rights" option if it is present in the drop-down menu.

Faitmain.png.5504d132d60a1035c10c1d7bb054c6a6.png How to lift the SmartScreen protection:

• Since the release of version 8, Microsoft has a system of protection against malicious sites named "SmartScreen". But it turns out that this filter blocks the download of many legitimate software. A window "Windows protected your computer" may appear.
  • Click on "Run anyway" and confirm.
  • Accept the end user terms (EULA) of the software.
  • The following interface appears:

ZHPDiag_1.JPG.7c0dc06b4dc5ef22d7b442a774a1693a.JPG

• Click on "SCANNER" (magnifying glass icon) to start the search
  • Let the progress bar come to the end.

ZHPDiag_2.jpg.5c3b26a4c48e215624581aaf3470a2e2.jpg

ZHPMalware.png.3387f92a8efed701e16a1f9c35d24db1.png Items found:

• The number of items found is given next to the "Bulb" symbol as the scan progresses.
  • At the end of the search, a window may appear indicating the presence of elements,

zhpdiag-tutorie-02l-300x221.jpg.5c3cc446b3a43c53bbac25a6552d5845.jpg

• A right click on a line gives access to the article of the blog which gives additional information.
  • Close this window of found items.
  • Click on "CLEAN" (broom icon) to access the safety forum where you can get help from a disinfection expert.

ZHPImport.png.a4779262c6e5f06b6ed2879f4fcf5e0e.png The report:

• At the end of the treatment, a search report is created, it can be consulted by clicking on the "Report" (T) button. Here are excerpts below:
Spoiler

Translated ZHPDiag OS Scan Listed Categories - transcribed in French in your Original Report:

~ ZHPDiag v2018.4.8.61 Par Nicolas Coolman (2018/04/08)
~ Démarré par *snipped* (Administrator)  (2018/04/10 13:28:13)
~ Web: https://www.nicolascoolman.com
~ Blog: https://nicolascoolman.eu/
~ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nicolascoolman1
~ Certificate ZHPDiag: Legal
~ Etat de la version:  Version OK
~ Mode: Scanner
~ Rapport: C:\Users\*snipped*\Desktop\ZHPDiag.txt
~ Rapport: C:\Users\*snipped*\AppData\Roaming\ZHP\ZHPDiag.txt
~ UAC: Deactivate
~ Démarrage du système: Normal (Normal boot)
Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)  =>.Microsoft Corporation

---\\ INTERNET BROWSERS (2) - 0s

---\\ INFORMATION ON WINDOWS PRODUCTS (4) - 3s

---\\ PROTECTION SOFTWARE (2) - 1s

---\\ OPTIMIZATION SOFTWARE (2) - 1s

---\\ INFORMATION ON THE SYSTEM (6) - 0s

---\\ CONNECTING MODE TO THE SYSTEM (3) - 0s

---\\ ENUMERATION OF STORAGE UNITS (5) - 1s

---\\ STATE OF THE WINDOWS SECURITY CENTER (11) - 0s

---\\ SPECIFIC RESEARCH OF GENERIC FILES (26) - 0s

---\\ LIST OF SERVICES (Not Microsoft and not disabled) (2) - 1s

---\\ SERVICES NOT MICROSOFT (SR = Started, SS = Stopped) (5) - 3s
SR - Auto   [28/06/2016] [  241544]  Kaspersky Anti-Virus Service 17.0.0 (AVP17.0.0) . (.AO Kaspersky Lab.) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 17.0.0\avp.exe  =>.Kaspersky Lab®
SS - Demand [28/06/2016] [   77328]  klvssbrigde64 (klvssbrigde64) . (.AO Kaspersky Lab.) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 17.0.0\x64\vssbridge64.exe  =>.Kaspersky Lab®
SS - Demand [01/11/2017] [ 6234056]  Malwarebytes Service (MBAMService) . (.Malwarebytes.) - C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe  =>.Malwarebytes Corporation®
SR - Auto   [11/07/2016] [ 1364536]  NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) . (.NVIDIA Corporation.) - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe  =>.NVIDIA Corporation®
SS - Demand [23/07/2016] [  837312]  Steam Client Service (Steam Client Service) . (.Valve Corporation.) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe  =>.Valve®

---\\ PLANNED TASKS IN AUTOMATIC (Registry) (92) - 1s

---\\ APPLICATIONS LAUNCHED TO START THE SYSTEM (4) - 0s
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] . (. - .) -- C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe (.Not File.)  =>.SUP.Orphan
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] . (. - .) -- C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe (.Not File.)  =>.SUP.Orphan
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] . (.Microsoft Corporation - MCTAdmin.) -- C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe  =>.Microsoft Corporation
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] . (.Microsoft Corporation - MCTAdmin.) -- C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe  =>.Microsoft Corporation

---\\ LAUNCHED PROCESS (11) - 1s

---\\ INTERNET EXPLORER, Trusted site and sensitive site (2) - 0s

---\\ INTERNET EXPLORER, Proxy Management (5) - 0s

---\\ STUDY OF THE HOSTS FILE (1) - 0s
~ Le fichier hôte est sain (The hosts file is clean) (21)

---\\ BROWSER HELPER OBJECT (BHO) (1) - 0s

---\\ GLOBAL SHORTCUTS STARTUP (70) - 3s

---\\ DOMAIN MODIFICATION/ADRESSES (DNS) (2) - 0s

---\\ ADDITIONAL PROTOCOL (20) - 1s

---\\ BOOTEXECUTE DATA LISTS (1) - 0s

---\\ INSTALLED ACTIVE COMPONENTS (ASIC) (6) - 0s

---\\ INSTALLED SOFTWARE (27) - 5s

---\\ HKCU & HKLM SOFTWARE REGISTRY KEY (60) - 5s

---\\ CONTENT OF THE PROGRAM FOLDER (139) - 1s

---\\ SHORTCUTS OF CONCEPTUAL MENUS (SCMH) (32) - 0s

---\\ IMAGE FILE EXECUTION OPTIONS (IFEO) (3) - 1s

---\\ LIST OF SYSTEM DRIVERS (63) - 5s

---\\ ASSOCIATION Shell Spawning (11) - 1s

---\\ INTERNET STARTUP MENU (8) - 0s

---\\ INFECTION RESEARCH ON BROWSERS (1) - 9s

---\\ LIST SERVICES STARTED BY Svchost (33) - 1s

---\\ LIST OF EXCEPTIONS FROM THE WINDOWS FIREWALL (12) - 0s

---\\ SOFTWARE PRODUCT CODES (14) - 0s

---\\ ADDITIONAL SCAN (4) - 1s

---\\ SUMMARY OF ELEMENTS FOUND AT YOUR STATION (1) - 0s
https://nicolascoolman.eu/2017/09/12/origine-lignes-orphelines/ =>.SUP.Orphan

~ Unselected Options:  O82,
~ End of the scan, 4937 items in 00mn43s (827)(0)

SCAN RESULT: The scan process found 2 orphan lines.

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] . (. - .) -- C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe (.Not File.)  =>.SUP.Orphan
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] . (. - .) -- C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe (.Not File.)  =>.SUP.Orphan

Sidebar.exe is a legit Windows executable: HKUS\S-1-5-19\. _ HKUS\S-1-5-20\. supposed to be launched at the OS start .\Run: [Sidebar] but the .exe was specifically unchecked during the Windows install setup process and is not present (.Not File.) this is a special case here.

ACTION REQUIRED: An orphan line does not present a risk to your system because it does not give rise to any action.
But a line of this type has no reason to be kept and in the end, if their number is important, they end up polluting your Registry and your storage units.

• This report can also be found in your "% AppData% / ZHP" user folder and on your desktop.
  • Submit your report if requested in a disinfection forum.

ZHPBlog.png.e71a788ab9543c023c124df37489cd45.png Case of an update of ZHPDiag

• At the launch of the software, a window indicates the presence of a new version. For better protection of your system, do not skip this update, it is very fast ...

zhpdiag-mises-a-jour-update.png.98d455fb7f881f45fd8c2945f1bc9d3b.png

• Click on "Update".
  • All open browsers are closed. A confirmation message allows you to make a possible backup of your navigation pages, otherwise click 'OK'.
  • The download starts, and then an end-of-download page appears on your browser.
  • Click on the desktop shortcut to start the updated software.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credits to Nicolas Coolman.

Official download page for the ZHP Tools - ZHPDiag and ZHPCleaner:

Nicolas Coolman Software Center

Nicolas Coolman - Home & Free Computer Troubleshooting Forum:

Nicolas Coolman Index Page

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOd Organizer Official download pages:

On Nexus: Mod Organizer
On SourceForge: Mod Organizer

Useful Links:

Important MO Install Procedures - Video Tutorials:

- Taylem Mods - Ep. 01 - Skyrim and the Creation Kit Initial Setup

- Taylem Mods - Ep. 02 - Mod Organizer and Utilities

The complete serie has seventeen videos to watch and are worth the hassle to go through all of them.

Guides & Technical Support Threads:

- Guide:Mod Organizer - S.T.E.P. Projest Wiki

- Mod Organizer Support - S.T.E.P.Forums

- [Tutorial] Mod Organizer - Installation of SKSE v1 - LoversLab

On 4/6/2018 at 4:25 PM, bm2x said:

Not taking away from others here or their sound advice but I would do a reinstall of the game itself and delete the old and all things associated with it. After a fresh install based on what I have seen from your post I highly recommend going to a youtube channel called Gopher https://www.youtube.com/user/GophersVids/featured he is a very trusted and has tutorials lists called "beginners guild to modding" on everything you need to know on how to set your game up right. I thought I knew a lot until I watched this list and I learned a lot my game is a joy to play and mod thanks to him. You do as you want but this is where i would start if you really want to play a modded Skyrim. Good luck 

Okay, so Chrome is at least translating the page for me on ZPH cleaner.  Am I understanding correctly they want me to DL and run 6 separate programs (ZPH included) before there is any assistance given through them? o.0

If that is the case (and I do understand quantity vs quality and all that) is there a less-intensive process I can do and/or one that is primarily English?  My lack of experience here is one thing, but the pseudo-English I'm getting doesn't really make it any easier.  :cry:

Indeed if they ask you to go through so much software and that the fact of not being comfortable with the French language does not facilitate the task, especially in a technical field ... The problem is that each disinfection program has a very special task in dealing with an infected computer. By cons I hope that the software are Free as well stipulated in their Term of Use.

Otherwise you have the solution to go through the English site about FRST on Geeks To Go. You will certainly be more comfortable there.

I do not want to seem insinuating myself into what does not concern because the rapports are private datas but if you wish, just pm me the number of infections found - just the total the scan found in my profile box, if you want to.
Do not feel obligated to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:  Got some "help" on the FRST website (after 9 days of a maximum 3 day wait period -_- ) and they're having me download an additional 4 programs etc etc etc.

Still hopeful that I can get this whole shebang going.  

17 hours ago, bm2x said:

UPDATE:  Got some "help" on the FRST website (after 9 days of a maximum 3 day wait period -_- ) and they're having me download an additional 4 programs etc etc etc.

Still hopeful that I can get this whole shebang going.

This is good news and I'm sure you'll be able to quickly take advantage of your healthy system again. These guys are pros for disinfections, do not worry.

And if you seek help about modding your game, you know on which site to ask for. :classic_wink:

Well, my PC is clean.  All the issues that ZHP was finding were things that I had uninstalled from the control panel etc but still had trace programming left in my boot logs.

Clean system, but mods still not running, just regular old boring vanilla clothing-non-optional skyrim.

How does (for example) NMM know where/which/whatever MODs to run?  Is it possible its reading my MODs in 1 location, but running my game in another and not loading the MODs because of this?  Like, could it be running from my backup and therefore not making the changes that (myself and) the MODs want?  I'm really scratching my noggin here -_-

1 hour ago, bm2x said:

How does (for example) NMM know where/which/whatever MODs to run?  Is it possible its reading my MODs in 1 location, but running my game in another and not loading the MODs because of this?  Like, could it be running from my backup and therefore not making the changes that (myself and) the MODs want?  I'm really scratching my noggin here

Your modded game installation might be somewhat corrupted and running your game by having your mods installed in another location than the original one can not work properly inside NMM. It is highly recommended that you use the default install path when installing NMM and keep the default settings selected for the file extension associations, else NMM might not work as intended.

The best would be to start on a healthy basis by restoring your Skyrim Steam game folder to its original state and to set up or install NMM again. Follow these guidelines to make Skyrim "vanilla" again and keep a list of the mods you want to use as you will need to reinstall them later:

Guide:Make Skyrim Vanilla Again

Resetting Skyrim to Vanilla or A Clean Reinstall

Additional infos:

Guide:Troubleshooting

NEWEST-NEW UPDATE:

SOME of my MODs are working.  I'm going to tinker around in LOOT and NMM and see if I can't get the rest to follow suit.  The FRST guy/girl/thing helped me remove some of the extra programs, tested run temps etc etc etc and BREAKTHROUGH!  I'm still no where close to what I'm aiming to start at, but progress is still progress.  

Since all my MODs are in the same location (I thought otherwise,  but I was mistaken) and everything is putting new MODs in the same place, that isn't my issue.  Still hoping to get where I want to be: thanks to everyone for helping and reading my ...less-than-exciting updates.

nogooditsfullofsteam.jpg.8f81b2fbf05db98b1eb582c5a913dfbc.jpg

I am getting this error when I try to merge a registry file.  If someone knows anything about this?  

48 minutes ago, bm2x said:

I am getting this error when I try to merge a registry file.  If someone knows anything about this?  

WTF are you doing trying to merge registry files? You should not be anywhere near your registry unless you know what you are doing. You certainly don't need to be anywhere near it for modding Skyrim. (I'm a retired IT tech, the thought of users near the registry is the stuff of nightmares). Seriously, messing with the registry can break the OS and leave you with a machine which will not boot. 

On 30/04/2018 at 10:50 PM, bm2x said:

I am getting this error when I try to merge a registry file.

How did you create that fix.reg?

If you are sure about having a valid registry settings file, then your problem may come from the encoding of the file, or from a missing statement.

Do not use unicode encoding in a registry file; you have to open it with a simple text editor and save it as ascii text.

Besides, while you have the file open in your editor make sure you see this statement at the very top of the file:

Spoiler

Windows Registry Editor Version X.XX

Where X.XX is the version of your Registry Editor, for example: Version 5.00

If this line is missing, you won’t be able to import the settings in the registry. Use regedit to export a small key and you will see how your file should be formatted.

First backup your Registry before you make any changes:

How to back up the registry

And beware of what you are doing by manipulating the Registry: this is the hearth of your OS!

2 hours ago, bm2x said:

Uh, the person on the FRST site told me:

What is UMonit64.exe

"The process UMonit64.exe belongs to software Gene USB Monitor or UMonit Application or ChangeIcon Application or MediaGear USB2 Card Reader by General." - Quote by Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer.

If you are using such application you can perform the fix by copy/paste the text given between the stars but don't forget to save the file with notepad as ascii text format and not unicode text format.

7 minutes ago, Fifoo said:

What is UMonit64.exe

"The process UMonit64.exe belongs to software Gene USB Monitor or UMonit Application or ChangeIcon Application or MediaGear USB2 Card Reader by General." - Quote by Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer.

If you are using such application you can perform the fix by copy/paste the text given between the stars but don't forget to save the file with notepad as ascii text format and not unicode text format.

...my options to save are "ANSI" "Unicode""Unicode Big Endian" or ""UTF-8"  

so, no ascii? :cry: 

Archived