Mods to avoid?

I'm in the process of updating all my mods and finding new ones for a new game after leaving Skyrim for a while becuase of mod issues. My problems are 1- script load, 2- mod incompatibilities, and 3- too many animations, even with FNIS XL.

Can you all recommend ways to streamline my load order, which mods are must-haves/to be ignored, which don't work together and so on?

If you install sex mods, use the relatively script-light ones.

I personally just use Sexlab Framework, Sexlab Romance and this other one that adds a spell that enables solo animations and that can be cast on NPCs for on-demand sex. I also have one of the additional animation packs.

Anything that adds checks regarding nudity or other NPC conditions can potentially be very script heavy.

Which mods to avoid are those that conflict, of course. The rest is all a matter of taste and play style.

Look at your mods with an eye towards eliminating duplication. For example, I don't use Defeat or any prostitution mods as Cursed Loot has those functions. Get rid of mods you simply don't use, like those armour mods that looks so great but that you never actually wear ingame.

By doing things like that, I got my mods list down from 253 to 199.

Open your Papyrus log and see which mod is throwing the most errors. A mod can be super complicated but, if well-written and not installed with a conflicting mod, will cause no issue whatsoever.

Generally speaking, "script-heavy" and "script-free" are two big misconceptions I think. Nothing is ever truly 'script-free' (no pex files don't mean script-free). Some of the vanilla CK's built-in scripts that can be packed into the esp's are as 'performance-intensive' as any 'script-heavy' mods.

Look at what animations that you want also look at any pose mods (these also add to your animation limit and cause you to hit it faster) if you don't need them turn them off till you want to take a screenshot. Many times reading the authors main post will list anything that is incompatible with their mod but there are tons of mods out there so it'll be hard to know them all. Also watch what each mod does if one mod alters say races and you install another mod that alters races both of these will end up head butting each other and the one lowest in the load order will trump the one above it and will win and override the one above it.

Also reading a mods comments might yield info for you.

As Sarge said, your play style is the key factor. I actually do the opposite to him and run Defeat and TDFPP but not the DD mods, bondage isn't my gig.

Dagren's comment about not installing sex mods and stable Skyrim is nonsense. I run a number of sex mods and have a very stable game.

Script-heavy is alright if you don't run several at once and/or you know what your installation and hardware can take.

Lots of mods, e.g. the Sexlab related, have MCM setting you can tweak to reduce the load on your game. For example polling and scanning radii and intervals. Decreasing the former and increasing the latter helps.

With animations ask yourself 'how many different blowjob animations do I need?' Then do the same for the other positions and acts. Once you have deselected various animations they can be purged with SexLab and will not contribute to your total.

I disagree with Vinfamy about the papyrus log. Running papyrus logging puts stress on your system. It is not a trouble-shooting tool as such though it can be used to identify papyrus related problems.

If you use xpms skeleton, you do not need to add the plugin included with it.   The plugin includes a style cloak spell and excluding it can help reduce load.  It is only there to randomize combat styles on npcs.

As grey cloud mentioned,  script polling, and cloak effects are the ones you want to watch out for. Cell scanning can also be one to throw up a red flag.  Set their intervals high on the MCM menu, and try to stagger the numbers on them so that you would have less of a chance that they fire off at the same time.

A good way to go about modding skyrim is to ask yourself this question every time... Do you absolutely need the mod you are adding.  Yes some mods add cool immersive effects like putting your footsteps in the snow or dripping water from npcs in the rain.  But can you live without it?    Focus on WHAT type of experience you want to have, then add mods only for the purpose of bolstering that experience.

Although you should not change your load order in the middle of a game, keep in mind that it is less dangerous to ADD a mod than to remove one.  Start off light.

Don't instal sex-related mods and enjoy stable Skyrim.

Lol.

Campfire, Immersive Patrols, Wet and Cold, Cloaks and ineed are laggier than any sex mod by an order of magnitude

Yes..the pervy mods are just like any other mod.   You do not need to avoid them other than by the same rules you would apply to every other skyrim mod.   Be sure to vet all of your mods,  sexual or not... read the latest posts in the support topics for warnings on issues.  And see if they are well supported.

or you install a ton of sex mods that don't conflict and have the best skyrim gameplay ever.

Tons of sex mods require tons of animations and tons of animations only extend the load screen and cause game to crash most likely, especially with fnis unique mods for player and pose modules.

I currently have 254 active plugins in my load order, and some of them are sex mods (sexlab framework, amorous adventures, various SLAL packs, SL romance and SL tools): my game runs quite well apart from loss of FPS in certain areas due to the lethal mix of almost-outdated hardware and HD textures, and I get a CTD only every 40 hours, give or take.

I'd reccomend avoiding Wet and Cold, SL Aroused (at least, it gave me stability issues when I used it), pose mods in general, and to avoid exreme ultra HD texture overhauls unless you have a good graphics card.

Always check mod descriptions for conflict alerts: if a new mod description says it is not compatible with a mod you already have, you should not install the new one. Also, avoid uninstalling mods mid-game: if you uninstall a mod, start a new game. Otherwise, your saves will be left littered with data from mods that are no longer there and this will eventually cause glitches or worse.
Mods' comment sections are a good source of feedback, so check them and avoid mods with a lot of stability complaints or that are no longer supported.

You should install unofficial patches, they help a lot in dealing with the mess Bethesda wasn't bothered to fix. Running LOOT also helps, but not always since it has a tendency of moving up in the load order mods that the authors stated should stay at the bottom, so check the results and modify the load order manually when needed.

For the "too many animations" problem, I'm afraid the only solution is reducing their number. Ask yourself how many times you're going to actually use those animations (or mod content in general) and uninstall accordingly. For example, I never use SL creature animations so I uninstalled them when possible.

or you install a ton of sex mods that don't conflict and have the best skyrim gameplay ever.

Tons of sex mods require tons of animations and tons of animations only extend the load screen and cause game to crash most likely, especially with fnis unique mods for player and pose modules.

'Tons of sex mods' don't require 'tons of animations'. They all draw from the same pool of animations and SexLab itself lets you fine tune which type of animations are called under which circumstances.

I have about 12 mods which feature SexLab or SL in their title plus several other sex related mods with over 900 animatiions registered with FNIS. I don't get sex or animation related CTDs, in fact I rarely get CTDs at all.

I don't understand how a sex mod or animations can 'extend' load screens.

Perhaps you should re-assess your own knowledge of computers and modding and have another look at your install before you unfairly criticise mods. 

Exactamundo!

Perhaps you should re-assess your own knowledge of computers and modding and have another look at your install before you unfairly criticise mods. 

they think everyone crash because they can't do anything about their crash

most crash that's ram ctd

the rest that's conflicts (game can't load something? it give up and shut itself down)

I don't have any problems with CTDs, and I run sex mods.  It's primarily a matter of knowing what works with what, and what your computer can handle.  I've never had trouble with SexLabAroused, for instance -- but I have had trouble with any mod that requires DeviousDevices.  I've never had a problem with iNeed and Hypothermia -- but other "climate experience" and "needs" mods have caused trouble.

I recently had to rebuild Skyrim, too.  I started by downloading the latest versions of --

SKSE

SkyUI

XPMSE

FNIS and FNIS CreaturePack

I installed those, and did a test game.  When I was sure it worked, I deleted all the saves for it from my Users > .... Skyrim > Saves folder.

Then I added the mods I like -- USLEEP and the Paarthurnax Dilemma, SkyTEST RealisticAnimals&Predators, Dogs of Skyrim, DragonCombatOverhaul, iNeed, and Hypothermia.  Again, I played a test game, and when I was sure things were stable, I deleted the saves again.

Then I added SoS, SexLab, Zaz 6.1 + Patch, SLA, SLAC, and Amputator.  In game, I made sure to click INSTALL in SexLab, and when it had done so, I registered the animations in the Zaz MCM menu.  Then I set my SexLab gender, voice, animation, and stripping preferences, and toggled ON the animations I like (which, granted, is actually very few.)  I told SexLab to suppress unused animations.  Then I saved the game, exited, ran FNIS for Users, and went back into Skyrim.  I ran another test game, and again, when I was sure everything was the way I wanted it, I deleted any saves from it.

My game is completely stable.  I can add any number of mods to it, (Including DD mods now) because the core mods that other mods require are stable, in the right order, and working.

Basically, you decide what you want, and add each thing ONE AT A TIME.

There really are no mods to avoid -- though there may be mods your system doesn't like, or mods that don't fit your playstyle.

You've given some good advice guys, thank you all. I'm checking and cutting down my load order and then I'll be looking at animations more closely, looking forward to getting back into it.

Thanks again!

If you are going to be uninstalling mods, don't forget to uninstall their dependencies as well (if they are not needed by other mods, obviously).

A quick way to check who needs what is to use the plug-in list in LOOT. Work your way down the list unticking each plug-in one at a time and see which other plugs change colour.

I use a different approach to Allannaa. I usually do my mod chopping and changing near the end of a game which has run its race. It's relatively easy to get a seemingly stable installation with a new game, it's when when your character has a zillion items in their inventory, umpteen quests on the go, countless skills, perks, blessings, effects etc that your installation starts to feel the pinch.

Don't forget that there are mods which take things out of the game such as 'Timing is Everything' and 'The Choice is Yours'. I'm a great believer in removing as much vanilla stuff from my game as possible. I'm convinced that there is an inverse relationship between the amount of Bethesda content and the stability of my installation. :)

A quick way to check who needs what is to use the plug-in list in LOOT. Work your way down the list unticking each plug-in one at a time and see which other plugs change colour.

MO does this as well, so you have a choice in which to use. My preference is MO as it gives a couple fo different ways to sort things, such as by flags, name, priority, etc.

FNIS,

Has a patch for "Separate Gender Animations"

Rather than have my own Player Character Animations through a script and rather than have Female Sexy Walk...

I just throw all the cool female animations into the

animations\Female folder.

Sure all the females in the game have the same animation set and all of them have the same sexy walk.

Thing is I'm not sticking around long enough to watch the NPC's in Whiterun walk around.

NPC's in the wild mostly die at the end of a sword or spell so I don't get to see them walk around either.

I don't mind if the other females have the same animation as the player character either.

The thing that is also cool is that the Males don't use the same animations as the females, point of the patch already built right into FNIS.

So I can download animations that look awesome on Males over the crappy vanilla ones there too.

Basically I cut out "Female Sexy Walk" and PCEA or PCEA2 whichever don't matter.

Only downside is that all females use female animation and all males use male animation.

Also it was a hell of a lot eaiser to set up than the other stuff.

I stopped using Deviously Cursed Loot, Skyrim Immersive Creatures, and OBIS.

Basically I have not had a crash and my character is level 31.  Not one crash.

Those 3 mods were doing a number on my game and I always got stutter, which I no longer experience.

Some Mods Im using

Disparity

Ordinator

Frostfall <----Heck of a lot of fun really

Ultimate Combat

Ultimate Dragons

TkDodge

ASIS <----This with what I listed above makes combat interesting enough

Skytweak <---Helps with a thousand things, that would in the past require me to download a hundred modules to fix.

Sexlab

Defeat

Amerous Adventures <---So much stuff I never got to do with this module and its actually really good makes the followers actually like more interesting.

Basically Im not using a load of script modules that could induce problems and Im getting hella far into the game.

For me personally i find skyrim to be random. I havent run into any mods that should be avoided. Mods that have caused me any problems have been either updated or after a reinstall are working great. Plus even if you get a buggy mod it can be helpful to help test it out and send bug reports ^_^ ive been doing that with the new dark souls pause menu mod for skyrim.

'Tons of sex mods' don't require 'tons of animations'. They all draw from the same pool of animations and SexLab itself lets you fine tune which type of animations are called under which circumstances.

I have about 12 mods which feature SexLab or SL in their title plus several other sex related mods with over 900 animatiions registered with FNIS. I don't get sex or animation related CTDs, in fact I rarely get CTDs at all.

I don't understand how a sex mod or animations can 'extend' load screens.

pst we dont talk here about casual average joe skyrim player who gets boner once he sees his character naked on default unp with vanilla textures.

We talk here about the weirdest combination of fetishists and weirdos on the internet.  You have so many animation packs ( SLAL ) , add to it 0sex or monster beast sexual animations. It really raises the bar of animation numbers. Especially if you are into kinky fetishes like bondage, feets or gay. I won't mention that you need quite a lot of SL-sub-plugins for that for your specific kinks be it succubi, milking, pregnancy, slavery , bondage etc

This sentence actually triggered me very much.

If you want more quality animations obviously you won't use default SexLab anims, that come with AnimatedProstituton anims? ( literally the worst and outdated crap ever ). Why do people hop into the coc qasmoke cell before loading their main save? Because huge list of animations will cause insta crash upon load. Especially in the exteriors.

knowledge about computers

simply lel

Archived