The general WIP thread for animators.

Guest Redabyss

hi all. very new animator here. i'm having an extremely weird problem and i'm at my wit's end with it.
the first time i ripped a sim from my game everything went fine, i was able to attach a rig and pose him.

since this weird rig with penis bones being there is the only difference i've been able to find between now and the time i was able to get it to work, i think it is the cause of my problems. so i removed all wicked whims related mods from my game, launched it, saved the household, and ripped the sims again. the rig is still there. i deleted all the nsfw rigs i had just to be sure, and this weird rig is still there. where is it coming from?? i'm so confused and frustrated it is actually driving me insane. i was really excited to use my sims to train my animation skills. any help appreciated

here's what the weird rig looks like (nevermind i was being dumb)

Edited by dw3ll
9 hours ago, dw3ll said:

hi all. very new animator here. i'm having an extremely weird problem and i'm at my wit's end with it.
the first time i ripped a sim from my game everything went fine, i was able to attach a rig and pose him.

since this weird rig with penis bones being there is the only difference i've been able to find between now and the time i was able to get it to work, i think it is the cause of my problems. so i removed all wicked whims related mods from my game, launched it, saved the household, and ripped the sims again. the rig is still there. i deleted all the nsfw rigs i had just to be sure, and this weird rig is still there. where is it coming from?? i'm so confused and frustrated it is actually driving me insane. i was really excited to use my sims to train my animation skills. any help appreciated

here's what the weird rig looks like

benis.png

Remove cloud or one drive service when launching sims 4.

Edited by Khlas
On 5/28/2022 at 5:16 AM, Khlas said:

Remove cloud or one drive service when launching sims 4.

Hey Khlas, thanks for responding - big fan, by the way - but that didn't do it.

I removed the WW folder from my saves folder and that got rid of the penis rig. The sims still load with a weird rig though. But I'm starting to think that may not be the problem.
I know I'm doing what I'm supposed to do because of how many times I've watched the tutorials, and because it worked the first time i tried.

Things I have also tried:

• Disabling script mods
  • Removing all mods from my game
  • Detaching the sim object from the weird rig they come with, deleting the rig, then trying to attach the sim to the desired rig.
  • Starting a new game with CC disabled, ripping sims from there.
  • Doing a fresh install of Sims4 ripper. After I did all that, I ripped Mortimer Goth and attached him to a rig - this time, some bones that weren't working in previous attempts now actually made the model move, but some still didn't. In all further attempts, NO bones made the model move after attachment. I have no idea what could have gone differently.
  • Fresh install of blender

The model just doesn't "stick" to the rig at all.

Just in case the weird rig might still be the problem, (is it supposed to be there? And, if not, where does it come from?) I'll include a picture with the bones selected.
The bones are named stuff like "b_L_LegExportPole", "b_R_LegExportPole", "b_L_carry_slot", "b_L_ring_slot"
(nevermind I was being dumb)

Edited by dw3ll
1 hour ago, dw3ll said:

Hey Khlas, thanks for responding - big fan, by the way - but that didn't do it.

I removed the WW folder from my saves folder and that got rid of the penis rig. The sims still load with a weird rig though. But I'm starting to think that may not be the problem.
I know I'm doing what I'm supposed to do because of how many times I've watched the tutorials, and because it worked the first time i tried.

Things I have also tried:

• Disabling script mods
  • Removing all mods from my game
  • Detaching the sim object from the weird rig they come with, deleting the rig, then trying to attach the sim to the desired rig.
  • Starting a new game with CC disabled, ripping sims from there.
  • Doing a fresh install of Sims4 ripper. After I did all that, I ripped Mortimer Goth and attached him to a rig - this time, some bones that weren't working in previous attempts now actually made the model move, but some still didn't. In all further attempts, NO bones made the model move after attachment. I have no idea what could have gone differently.
  • Fresh install of blender

The model just doesn't "stick" to the rig at all.

Just in case the weird rig might still be the problem, (is it supposed to be there? And, if not, where does it come from?) I'll include a picture with the bones selected.
The bones are named stuff like "b_L_LegExportPole", "b_R_LegExportPole", "b_L_carry_slot", "b_L_ring_slot"

god why.PNG

what are you trying to do exactly? Those bones are there because they are part of the rig itself. Those are bones for IK chains target used by the game itself, they are necessary. 

if your model can’t be attached to the rig it’s because you use a simripper version that is not compatible with some CC your sim use. So some bones vertex from the model are removed. For sims using load of CC you can either try to change their CC or use an older version of simripper (not newer).

before exported your sim in simripper you should change the bones size too, so they aren’t that small 

Edited by Khlas
On 3/23/2021 at 7:05 PM, SilentFred said:

Thanks for your quick response!

I reduced the prop guids to one item only.

But...no effect so far.

I think it has to do with the rig that's associated with the exported S4Mesh.

I played around with it and now the computer is at least displayed placed underneath the bed. (see Image)

No matter where I position the computer in blender - it stays at the center under the bed. No clue why.

1. Tried positioning in object mode - no change

2. Tried positioning in pose mode - no change either

In each attempt I inserted keyframes.

LocRot only appears when I set keyframes in ObjectMode - but they seem to be ignored. Which ones are required for the game?

Reveal hidden contents

withpc.thumb.jpg.cfdb1d511fcd1396fa803ff09b1e08da.jpgdopesheet.thumb.jpg.fbd7b41ac274dbffff59a38f05e2debf.jpg

Hey, I know it's been over a year, but I had the same problem and want the solution to be on the record for future reference.

I was doing some poses with a mug. The location the mug spawned in was mostly correct, except for the Z axis: it would stay on the floor no matter what.

So I went to the XML file and changed the prop_z_offset parameter based on the mug's location in the Z axis listed in blender. Didn't work. Now the mug didn't spawn at all. So I thought, maybe it wanted values for the other axes as well, so I set values above zero for all the axis parameters. The mug still didn't spawn.

So what I did was I went onto blender, went to frame 0 on the dope sheet, and placed the mug on the very center of the.. thing (just in case), using Shift+S -> Set cursor to Center, and then Shift+S -> Selection to Cursor. Then I pressed i (just pressing i already LocRots for me for some reason). Went to frame 1 and then placed the mug where I actually wanted it to be for the first keyframe. LocRot again. Baked the animation normally. And it worked!

So yeah, TL;DR is, if this happens, you gotta have the prop be on the very center of the ground in 3D view for at least one frame before you move it to where you want it to be. And also the prop offset parameters in the XML file can be bullshit lol

17 hours ago, dw3ll said:

Hey, I know it's been over a year, but I had the same problem and want the solution to be on the record for future reference.

I was doing some poses with a mug. The location the mug spawned in was mostly correct, except for the Z axis: it would stay on the floor no matter what.

So I went to the XML file and changed the prop_z_offset parameter based on the mug's location in the Z axis listed in blender. Didn't work. Now the mug didn't spawn at all. So I thought, maybe it wanted values for the other axes as well, so I set values above zero for all the axis parameters. The mug still didn't spawn.

So what I did was I went onto blender, went to frame 0 on the dope sheet, and placed the mug on the very center of the.. thing (just in case), using Shift+S -> Set cursor to Center, and then Shift+S -> Selection to Cursor. Then I pressed i (just pressing i already LocRots for me for some reason). Went to frame 1 and then placed the mug where I actually wanted it to be for the first keyframe. LocRot again. Baked the animation normally. And it worked!

So yeah, TL;DR is, if this happens, you gotta have the prop be on the very center of the ground in 3D view for at least one frame before you move it to where you want it to be. And also the prop offset parameters in the XML file can be bullshit lol

you don’t need to do any of that. You have to move prop using transform bone in pose mode. The object should always be at origin point if it’s not animated before animating it. Creating animations in object mode is pointless (unless for creating jigs or world rigs) and it was the issue SilentFred had.

Edited by Khlas
22 hours ago, lanoix said:

How long should animations generally be? and will it have the same speed that is has in blender? Right now my animation is 240 frames long and growing, is that too much?

the limit is 8-10 minutes or something like that per animation iirc. No need to do one that much long tho. You design any length you desire. I don’t recommend extra long animations tho. I did some but tbh they could be perceived as annoying during gameplay. 

8 minutes ago, Khlas said:

you don’t need to do any of that. You have to move prop using transform bone in pose mode. The object should always be at origin point if it’s not animated before animating it. Creating animations in object mode is pointless (unless for creating jigs or world rigs) and it was the issue SilentFred had.

Yep, I was using the transform bone all along, and the solution I found was the only one that worked

4 minutes ago, dw3ll said:

Yep, I was using the transform bone all along, and the solution I found was the only one that worked

It sounds weird and unusual because it shouldn’t happen. Maybe you moved the root Z axis or something by mistake or something while being in object mode because it shouldn’t be needed. Turbo added the offset xml feature only for fixing little issues or for making prop compatible if ever animator want to make their animations compatibles in others locations while having the same animations clip for the prop, so it doesn’t need to be redone completely. 

What mug object did you use so I will try to do a quick animation just for testing if it happens 

Edited by Khlas
5 minutes ago, Khlas said:

It sounds weird and unusual because it shouldn’t happen. Maybe you moved the root Z axis or something by mistake or something while being in object mode because it shouldn’t be needed. Turbo added the offset xml feature only for fixing little issues or for making prop compatible if ever animator want to make their animations compatibles in others locations while having the same animations clip for the prop, so it doesn’t need to be redone completely. 

What mug object did you use so I will try to do a quick animation just for testing if it happens 

The GUID for the prop was 16019

Hi guys,

maybe a stupid question but I need to wrap my brain around this.

Turbo introduced a new rig with animatable vagina - awesome work from the creators btw!

I downloaded the edited rigs from his website and now I'd like to import a control rig onto the new one..

How is this done correctly? I appended a control rig from FemaleDagger with Breast Physics but its not linked to the rig itself.

I am no blender pro so its not obvious to me how its done..

Maybe one of you could give me a quick guide.

Have a great day ya'll 

On 6/7/2022 at 4:01 AM, SilentFred said:

Hi guys,

maybe a stupid question but I need to wrap my brain around this.

Turbo introduced a new rig with animatable vagina - awesome work from the creators btw!

I downloaded the edited rigs from his website and now I'd like to import a control rig onto the new one..

How is this done correctly? I appended a control rig from FemaleDagger with Breast Physics but its not linked to the rig itself.

I am no blender pro so its not obvious to me how its done..

Maybe one of you could give me a quick guide.

Have a great day ya'll 

I actually want to know the same thing. I tried some blender tutorials that didn't work. I then tried editing the rig provided by turbo (for example adding inverse kinematics to it), and immediately felt out of my depth. Maybe I should start the process of learning to make my own rig, but that would take more time than I have at the moment, and I don't even know where to start.

1 hour ago, dw3ll said:

I actually want to know the same thing. I tried some blender tutorials that didn't work. I then tried editing the rig provided by turbo (for example adding inverse kinematics to it), and immediately felt out of my depth. Maybe I should start the process of learning to make my own rig, but that would take more time than I have at the moment, and I don't even know where to start.

you can watch tutorial about rigging in blender in YouTube. I didn’t used any of them but I think it’s a good start! However making a rig is a very long process, but it will help you greatly to understand how an armature and bones works. 

5 hours ago, Khlas said:

you can watch tutorial about rigging in blender in YouTube. I didn’t used any of them but I think it’s a good start! However making a rig is a very long process, but it will help you greatly to understand how an armature and bones works. 

No easy way to take the vagina/anus bones and put them in other rigs, then?

i made my first animation BUT i need help anyone know how to make bone and bone child constraints work? say for example in this animation i want to the hands to stay ON the hips without having to keyframe them? Does anyone know how I could do that? You see the hand sinks into the sim body. I want it to stay on his hips during the entire animation. 

I did child the pelvis to the hand but it didnt seem to work effectively. 

ezgif-3-1bc9fc7058.gif.58133797c0db2778e5dbfbb4dfa06422.gif

I'm trying to learn how to add sound to my animations, is this tutorial still relevant or is there a better one out there? https://turbodriver.itch.io/wickedwhims/devlog/139550/adding-native-events-to-animations-6 

At the end it says "By default, the game uses mouth bones to make Sims speak, which means that you can’t animate them. This is not true if you suppress lips. Doing that will block Sims from talking and allow you to animate mouth bones."

I don't really understand what this means, I can't animate the mouth bones if I'm adding sounds? or what?

On 6/14/2022 at 6:07 PM, lanoix said:

I don't really understand what this means, I can't animate the mouth bones if I'm adding sounds? or what?

You should add a censor event to see the animated jaw (in a blowjob for example). If you didn't set a censor event, any voice sound will automatically cause jaw movement for sim to talk.

'Timecode' is the beginning of the event , 'Unknown 3' is the end of the event (in seconds).

14 hours ago, wild_guy said:

You should add a censor event to see the animated jaw (in a blowjob for example). If you didn't set a censor event, any voice sound will automatically cause jaw movement for sim to talk.

'Timecode' is the beginning of the event , 'Unknown 3' is the end of the event (in seconds).

Oh, I understand now. Thanks man.

18 hours ago, wild_guy said:

Sorry I have one more question, do you know what the field "Unknown 2" is for?