The general WIP thread for animators.

Guest Redabyss

14 hours ago, notallinsane said:

I took the frame I wanted the sound to start at and multiplied it by .3333334.

And by you pointing that out I realized I've been doing .3333334 and not .03333334.

Hopefully that was the issue. Thanks for indirectly helping me out.

Yes, that's what I meant. The <start frame> * 0.03333334 = <timecode>. Animations usually don't last that long, so you probably meant to put 7.8 in the timecode, not 78 :) 

Edited by Nevely42
On 4/9/2023 at 11:38 PM, Sunishia said:

well, there's definitely no "mods" folder in my s4s path. if i add one myself, it still doesn't work.

It shouldn't be in your S4S path (the .exe, that usually is in Program Files), it should be in Documents, as Kyle showed you. They aren't the same, make sure you weren't looking at the wrong folder. I made the same mistake while trying to figure out how to change the default skins in S4S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can someone please help me fix this rig?

When moving the pelvis bone the thighs and feet moves too. I've already tried adding IK to certain bones but it's still not working.

I removed all the modified settings that I made on this rig btw (It's the WickedWhims rig for Blender 3.3).

Here it is. Thanks!

Bavel_Animation_FemaleRig.blend Bavel_Animation_MaleRig.blend

26 minutes ago, DegenBee - Coms Open said:

Can someone please help me fix this rig?

When moving the pelvis bone the thighs and feet moves too. I've already tried adding IK to certain bones but it's still not working.

I removed all the modified settings that I made on this rig btw (It's the WickedWhims rig for Blender 3.3).

Here it is. Thanks!

Bavel_Animation_FemaleRig.blend 3.26 MB · 1 download Bavel_Animation_MaleRig.blend 5.61 MB · 1 download

I tried Dagger's, Simite's & Khlas's control rig and the Pelvis bones are working properly as intended.

Ello

Is it possible to change the instance ID? 

My old (first animation) animation has the same instance ID as my new (second animation) animation file.

- Second Animation Instance ID

Screenshot (365).png

- First Animation Instance ID

Screenshot (367).png

Edited by Beebavel
37 minutes ago, Beebavel said:

Ello

Is it possible to change the instance ID? 

My old (first animation) animation has the same instance ID as my new (second animation) animation file.

- Second Animation Instance ID

Screenshot (365).png

- First Animation Instance ID

Screenshot (367).png

When adding new animations make sure to create new clip files and not always use the same one

image.png.e670c031af23146dd6531cfad3f89fea.png

11 minutes ago, Swee3 said:

When adding new animations make sure to create new clip files and not always use the same one

image.png.e670c031af23146dd6531cfad3f89fea.png

Ohhhh, I get it now. 

So whenever I add new animations, I should create a new empty package and then add the CLIP and CLIPHD

Thanks!

Hi guys. Just got back into animating after over a year off and I've forgotten...well, just about everything really. I've slowly figured out how to use Blender again but I can't remember what boxes you have to tick when it comes to baking the rig, and whether or not you bake it as an object or a pose. Could anyone clarify for me?

Also I use a control rig, and from what little I remember you have to put the control rig in pose mode before baking the actual rig in object mode, correct?

EDIT: Having a look at the xml file has made me realise that I also can't remember how to get an object's ID for custom locations. Any help with this would also be appreciated! ?

Edited by Nelandros
18 hours ago, Nelandros said:

Also I use a control rig, and from what little I remember you have to put the control rig in pose mode before baking the actual rig in object mode, correct?

This actually doesn't matter since you're baking not the control rig but the main one.

I can't remember what boxes you have to tick when it comes to baking the rig, and whether or not you bake it as an object or a pose. Could anyone clarify for me?

You bake pose. Unhide the main rig in viewport if it was temporarily hidden or disabled. Switch to the main rig in pose mode, then go to Pose->Animation->Bake Action menu of the 3D Viewport window.

image.jpeg

Here are the primary bake option checkboxes:

image.jpeg

Optional checkboxes you may want to enable:

Only Selected Bones - if you did select bones for baking. If not enabled, all bones of the currently selected layers will be baked.

Clean curves - if you want to remove unnecessary keyframes from the baked action (I would recommend it). If not enabled, you will get each keyframe of each bone added (solid wall of keyframes).

Overwrite Current Action - usually useful if you want to bake or re-bake only some bones in the current action and leave other bones keyframes as is.

EDIT: Having a look at the xml file has made me realise that I also can't remember how to get an object's ID for custom locations. Any help with this would also be appreciated! ?

Shift+click on the object, Wicked -> Debug: Object Information. You need WWID.

Edited by wild_guy

While I'm at it I might as well ask what the most efficient way of making a smooth loop for the animation. i.e getting it back to the exact same position as it started in? So far I've been doing it via a lor of copying and pasting but I can't help but feel that an easier way must be possible?

Also is it not possible to alter an animation after it's been baked? I've just noticed there's a small flaw that I would like to iron out but it no longer seems possible to make changes.

Edited by Nelandros
3 minutes ago, Nelandros said:

While I'm at it I might as well ask what the most efficient way of making a smooth loop for the animation. i.e getting it back to the exact same position as it started in? So far I've been doing it via a lor of copying and pasting but I can't help but feel that an easier way must be possible?

I just return to same movement in the end of animation as in the beginning, i.e. you need to return to the initial pose. You also need to copy necessary keyframes from the end of animation to its pre-beginning to achieve smooth loop. It looks like this (start/end):

Spoiler

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Nelandros said:

Also is it not possible to alter an animation after it's been baked? I've just noticed there's a small flaw that I would like to iron out but it no longer seems possible to make changes.

You need to save your source file before baking and save baked actions as separate files. Thus you will always be able to make changes in the source file and re-bake everything.

It's possible to correct baked file too but it's a bit tricky to do and very limited.

12 minutes ago, wild_guy said:

You need to save your source file before baking and save baked actions as separate files. Thus you will always be able to make changes in the source file and re-bake everything.

It's possible to correct baked file too but it's a bit tricky to do and very limited.

Bugger. I didn't have a back up. Guess I'll just have to except this one has a glitch then. I swear it didn't happen until after I baked it though :/

Thanks again. Watch this space. I have no doubt I'll be back soo with my next fuck up! ?

And here is the next problem (I'm really sorry to keep bothering you!) The animation I made is for an X frame, and it seems to be working fine, except for one small problem...

Spoiler

09-08-23_6-00-21PM.png.1c02c49571966a6a1998ebffa00025df.png

The bound Sim has face planted!

I'm guessing I've missed something really obvious? I've made animations using objects before and got them to work and it's really frustrating that I can barely remember a thing ?