Poll: Who's Playing and Who's Waiting? (PC Version)

To Download SSE or Not to Download  

1,790 members have voted

1. 1. Are you downloading SSE?

• Yes! I want to play it right away!
    • No, I'm going to wait until it's been patched and/or my favorite mods work with it.
    • I'm modding it so I don't have to wait!
    • I'm reverse engineering it to make tools to mod it.
    • No, I'm sticking with Oldrim.

Well, Skyrim SE was released on last Friday (NZ time) and it's now Wednesday (NZ time) so its been 5 days. So far the Nexus has over 500 mods up, That's about 100 a Day, and the Creation kit was only released, what, only 3 days ago to the great unwashed after a fairly closed beta for a few weeks.

As of this moment the Nexus has 1259 mods for Skyrim Special Edition. A portion of those are admittedly cheats/translations and unsupported bodyslide output ports.... but still.... 1250+ mods in less than one week.... is still pretty impressive, even if we -are- missing the "vital" things.

By "vital" do you mean slooty mods? Or things like HDT, face replacements (Bethesda's face aesthetics are hideous), Realistic Ragdoll-style physics, MCM, and of course, Immersive Tomato?

Well, Skyrim SE was released on last Friday (NZ time) and it's now Wednesday (NZ time) so its been 5 days. So far the Nexus has over 500 mods up, That's about 100 a Day, and the Creation kit was only released, what, only 3 days ago to the great unwashed after a fairly closed beta for a few weeks.

As of this moment the Nexus has 1259 mods for Skyrim Special Edition. A portion of those are admittedly cheats/translations and unsupported bodyslide output ports.... but still.... 1250+ mods in less than one week.... is still pretty impressive, even if we -are- missing the "vital" things.

By "vital" do you mean slooty mods? Or things like HDT, face replacements (Bethesda's face aesthetics are hideous), Realistic Ragdoll-style physics, MCM, and of course, Immersive Tomato?

By "vital" I mean FNIS, SKSE, HDT, NiOverride (for heels.), Fully functioning RaceMenu, Mesh head replacements... these might work from just dragging over, I don't know... I personally use the nif from ECE without actually using ECE in my Oldrim build, MCM... and yes, who could forget immersive tomato...

Also Take Notes! and Legacy of the Dragonborn Museum.... though I'm not holding high hopes for Take Notes ever getting ported... and Legacy would be... well, that one will probably take some time.

IF the SKSE/papyrus scripting performance gain is >50% going to 64bits....that's a tempting threshold to compensate for switching to a new a major setup on PC. 

As it is now, have win7-16gb ram-enbboost combo, enb308 (stable), HDT, MCM, racemenu, NiO and an ocean of lovely mods to choose from that work now.

So much to lose.

Still, am grateful to all those boundry-breakers that are trying to take Newrim to new possibilities.  High five to all of them.

where's the "no, I'm sticking with Oldrim" option?

Don't vote?  :P Kidding. No idea why that option got left out.

In all seriousness though, SSE is going to replace Oldrim eventually. It's inevitable. However many years down the line that takes is the real question, given that it's based both on hardware and on mod porting, but it will happen. It's the technologically superior version. Eventually mods (or versions of mods) will come out that become a core part of just about everyone's load order that are only available on SSE, SKSE64 will have the same function hooks as SKSE, tools that aren't already available will be built to support easy conversion, and cheap hardware will get to the point where there's little difference between Oldrim and SSE in terms of graphical performance (since it has to be capped anyway), but lean heavily in SSE's favor for script and loading efficiency.

where's the "no, I'm sticking with Oldrim" option?

Don't vote?  :P Kidding. No idea why that option got left out.

In all seriousness though, SSE is going to replace Oldrim eventually. It's inevitable. However many years down the line that takes is the real question, given that it's based both on hardware and on mod porting, but it will happen. It's the technologically superior version. Eventually mods (or versions of mods) will come out that become a core part of just about everyone's load order that are only available on SSE, SKSE64 will have the same function hooks as SKSE, tools that aren't already available will be built to support easy conversion, and cheap hardware will get to the point where there's little difference between Oldrim and SSE in terms of graphical performance (since it has to be capped anyway), but lean heavily in SSE's favor for script and loading efficiency.

Okay, I admit I've been putting off putting that option up. I'll do it right now.

I'm sticking with Skyrim, I'll mod SSE at some pointbut I won't treat it anything like Skyrim. I don't really care about it. I'm more intrigued on Morroblivion and SkyWind. I rather take advantage of that. Hell, I would rather mod Enderal over SSE.

Half the fun for me is messing about with mods, i don't actually play the game that much in comparison so i've been all in since the release converting my old mods for SSE by trial and error. :)
I've found that many mods that require MCM and even a few SKSE works fine without it as long as you don't mind default settings so i've over 130 mods running out of which most are for oldrim and SSE runs them far better than oldrim ever could. :)
No crashes, great performance and i've hardly touched the ini files at all..

Finally I could give my vote.
Oldrim and nothing else, I have 3-4 years mods installed, uninstalled, tested on devil come out!
Then I finally had my game Perfect, with mods which are no longer to be found today!

My mod collection is bigger than 2000 GB on an external hard drive
and on this hard disk are mods which everyone else would be pale.

Now SSE, everything starts again, again 3-4 years wait, tinker and test, but this time with completely different mods, the me maybe not like!
And I am 1000% sure that not all mods are converted, going also not, Because already many mods have disappeared.
I am simply tired to start all over again.

And that's why Bethesda gets that from me!

giphy.gif

Definitely playing. I did a comparison play-through of the opening for unmodded Oldrim and Newrim back to back, and was blown away by the differences between them. Vanilla Newrim looks like a lightly modded Oldrim from 2012 (for example: a few light texture packs, maybe RCRN for lighting & weather OR an ENB + COT applied). In all honesty, Newrim is a better fit for what I want out of the game...better base graphics, steady 60 FPS, & the most crucial mod available within the first week of release: USSEP. The only thing truly missing for me is the Script Extender, Race Menu / ECE and SKYUI.

I've been modding for personal use for ages now, so I know my way around well enough to add the things I want to my own game. I just don't feel hamstrung by this being a new game and needing the library of mods to build up again before playing it. Like I said, I can add the ones I want myself, so long as they don't require any script updates (my biggest weakness). I know hard cores are railing against Newrim because their Oldrim install is "amazing" and "stable"...I just know which one I will prefer going forward. Just my 2 cents :)

N~dles

I lost all enthusiasm for everything Bethesda after Murder Slum Lord Adventures Post-Apocalyptic 1: My Baby! My Baby! but i'll take a look once SKyUI and unofficial patch make it.

Unofficial S:SE Patch was out on Nexus within hours of S:SE's launch on Day 1.

SkyUI might have you waiting a while as SKSE64 is worked on and launched, and someone else picks up the reigns for SkyUI64.

The SkyUI author said they're not going to convert it, but others might. And after the author tried to make SkyUI exclusive to Steam when Bethesda tried to implement their paid mod downloads scheme in '15, I just don't respect said author anymore. Giving authors some support because I want to, yes, that's fine. Having to pay them, and Bethesda who already got our money, violates the spirit of mod sharing.

@winny257

If best mods come out for SSE then good if not a big deal since I already played a crapload of old Modded Skyrim :D And when I start to think about downloading all the mods again sorting them out making sure then don't have compatibility problems.... I think the vanilla SSE will do me just fine for now :D

@winny257

If best mods come out for SSE then good if not a big deal since I already played a crapload of old Modded Skyrim :D And when I start to think about downloading all the mods again sorting them out making sure then don't have compatibility problems.... I think the vanilla SSE will do me just fine for now :D

I could never again Skyrim playing Vanilla, It would be for me a punch in the face.  :P 

Because I appreciate the modders more than Bethesda.  :)

Archived