Windows 10 Anniversary Update...

Slammer64

To all my friends using Windows 10, be very, very careful with the new Anniversary Update out today. I'm a SysAdmin with 10+ years of experience and while I was able to install it fine, it gave me a BSOD on next reboot with no explanation as to why. So, out the door it went till M$ fixes it. You HAVE been warned!

My experience was not a blue screen, but upon completion is sat there with a blank screen and no interface or input. Tapped the reset button after having lunch and Win10 was installed, no issues other than the blank screen.

Kind of liking the changes to the start menu, right clickable on stuff that before I had to click three or four other options to get to.

Like that Windows Defender now has a start mode similar to other anti-malware, meaning you can boot the computer and scan before loading stuff.

Not sure if VR fits the topic of the thread, but in order to prevent some confusion...

Steam checks for 90 FPS because that's what Valve decided is best for VR experience and that's what their HTC Vive expects. In fact if you drop below 30 it starts to flicker. Oculus is more forgiving in this regard. However for the player it is better to not drop below 45 as this can cause real life sickness. 90fps is considered the minimum in order to avoid motion sickness. 

Before trying any VR (Vive) on a PC run the tool Steam provides. If you fall within the green zone there is no reason why your experience would be bad. Start with the tutorial and the Lab. Or one of the apps/games Steam lists as VR. They are built for this, they will run at 90fps and are completely safe and enjoyable.

After(!) you have done this you can try playing Skyrim or Fallout in VR. At the moment this is possible using Vorpx - app that you need to pay for and that "converts" nonVR games into VR experience. The problem with Vorpx is that it's default settings are quite hostile for novice users. The first 3 days after installing it and trying to play Skyrim I managed to stay in VR for about 10 minutes and then I got dizzy and I had headaches for hours after that. But after that I learned how to tweak it. I'm planning to start a mega-VR thread soon seeing that many people experience VR for the first time in a bad way. 

My point is - there is no reason why your VR experience should be bad (if the Steam tool puts your PC in the green). 

On the point of double rendering. Vorpx has an alternative to that. It has a fake3D mode that doesn't require the PC to render the game two times. It does still require the game to run at at least 45fps so it can insert it's own "fake" frames - the game itself is capped at 45fps but the headset receives a 90fps stream - hence no motion sickness. 

You seem quite knowledge about this so maybe you can answer this, the assertion was that the human eye can not see above 30 fps (due to some study done ages ago that i can't find) so why would you get sick at 45 fps or require 90 fps if you aren't able to see 15 or 60 of those frames

I am genuinely curious as to where this 30 fps thing has come from, trying to find anything about it via google just results in lots of web pages calling it a myth

I'm out of the topic, I know.

But that question made me curious. Found this video that explains in details how fps have evolved through time for movies. For gaming it's a bit different...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjYjFEp9Yx0

tl;dw It's because of sounds requirement and price limitations that we were stuck at 24-25fps. And people do not like to change their habits, for now.

Great video! :-)

And at the end he says "a world not quite real, but real enough". 

Basically "good enough" is the key phrase that explains the standards we have today - the balance between quality and cost.

There is this gif that illustrates the need for higher framerate when dealing with fast and abrupt movement. 

When you play on a screen the current 60fps standard is enough to keep you immersed even with high speed action. But your mind is aware that all the time you are looking at the game from outside. Whatever happens in this in-game world happens on the screen while you yourself are  sitting on the stable chair in the stable real reality. If there are fps drops or other problems with the game on screen, it will hurt your immersion, but everything is fine with you - as the reality you are in is stable as usual.

With VR there is no more difference between the in-game reality and the "real" reality. At the moment the best in merging them is the Vive as it incorporates not only the vision, but your actual hands and some aspects of your whole body. Oculus will soon follow. While this is not a perfect merger between the two realities, it is "good enough" for the moment.

In VR the idea of "immersion" is replaced by the idea of "presence". It is not enough to be immersed in something that happens in it's own reality (as the game on the screen). You need to feel the in-game reality as your own. 

Now look close around you and start moving your head. The objects next to you will "move" quite fast. 60fps is enough for the objects in the on-screen reality, but not enough for the objects around you in the real world. The "reaction time" is also not good enough anymore. 

The topic is too big to be smuggled-in as off-topic post like this one :-) so in short - 90fps is good enough to give the world around you the responsiveness and fluidity of movement you expect to see close to you in real life. I expect the fps requirement to go higher in future when there is hardware that can support it. It all comes down to this: believing that something somewhere is moving against believing that you are moving yourself.

For way more technical explanation about the problem and the currently developed solutions you can check this and this

On the 30fps issues, this one is specific when playing games using Vorpx on Vive. The explanation I've got says

"Are you using a Vive? If so, flickering means frame rate being too low. The OpenVR runtime is made for 90fps with a 45fps fallback option. Below that things fall apart unfortunately. vorpX can deal with these situations to a degree with its custom async timewarp, but there are limits to that."

In my case, based on my experiments, the limit is 30fps, the flickering starts when the framerate drops bellow that. 

Did a full reinstall of the Anniversary Edition from scratch yesterday - since I have the Pro edition I can get rid of crap like Cortana and OneDrive through the group policies. My one gripe is not being able to go directly to the login screen from bootup as there seems to be no way to disable that wretched lock screen. If anyone has a solution, please let me know.

It installed successfully this morning at home. 

I hated it immediately :-) It took me 2 seconds to find out what is wrong.

They have changed the location of the icons of the system bar and now the " spam center"  icon is the one at the right - where all my life the clock has always been. M$ keeps annoying people with "small" pointless changes like that and I'm really thankful they are not my interior designers regularly sneaking at home to rearrange furniture randomly. 

Last year I've spent hours arguing at their forums how stupid is that they have rotated the volume bar and the one thing I learned about that was that there was no real reason for them to do it. They did it "just because".

The same with the picture spam that is always there before you can login to you account. And they even ask if I "like what I see" .. No, I don't like it, whatever you put there, no matter how beautiful and well done, I'll hate it because you are spamming me with it.

Even after the big evil (Win8) was undone, M$ still can't help it with doing small but annoying evil things. I guess it is in the company's DNA? Whatever good thing they might have done there will be always some small evil thing to spoil the users experience.

Also get ready for phone calls from relatives. grandmothers and grandfathers asking for help because there is no sound anymore. In it's eternal wisdom M$ decided to put a list of the audio devices on top of the volume bar. The way it is done makes it really easy for someone to click there by mistake. But if you actually want to use that on purpose it is still more user-friendly to do it the old way. 

Added:

Since it is not possible to switch the position of the clock back the only solution was to disable the "Spam center" with the added bonus that it will not spam me with offers for Office anymore or tell me to click on irrelevant notifications with no result. However in additional stroke of evilness M$ have removed the option in the Settings that existed until now allowing to hide the Action center icon. The only working solution is to edit the registry as shown here. Since the Settings icon can also be found on the Start menu there is no harm from removing the AC icon.

• 2 weeks later...

I just needed to get this off my chest.

Windows 10 sucks compared to my Windows 7 64bit installation.

Win 10 is slow as fuck, everything takes forever and this is on a straight to Win10 installation.

Doesn't work well with my wireless internet adaptor, that would be fine if as an operating system it wasn't also slow as a sloth.

Sure it plays games fine and guess what so did my Win 7 installation.

Meh win ten even works on my toaster if you got a bsod from an update id say its somthing clashing that you have installed corrupted download mabey idk could be anything if you can try rolling back the update or just get that win ten media installer from ms an go from there.

To all my friends using Windows 10, be very, very careful with the new Anniversary Update out today. I'm a SysAdmin with 10+ years of experience and while I was able to install it fine, it gave me a BSOD on next reboot with no explanation as to why. So, out the door it went till M$ fixes it. You HAVE been warned!

No problems when I installed the anniversary update. I like the changes they made to the taskbar. It actually seems a bit more useful now lol.  :)

If there is one thing I'm upset about though, it's that MacType no longer works right and you have to do some kind of workaround to get it functioning again. Personally though, I think I'll just wait until MacType gets updated. I can wait... sort of... lol  :P

Win 10 is slow as fuck, everything takes forever and this is on a straight to Win10 installation.

This ^

It can take up to 10 minutes (?!!!) for the login screen to appear, then it can take up to 5 minutes more to actually load. After that it takes forever to open programs. There is no reason why it should be this slow. Win7 and 8 worked perfectly fine.

This ^

It can take up to 10 minutes (?!!!) for the login screen to appear, then it can take up to 5 minutes more to actually load. After that it takes forever to open programs. There is no reason why it should be this slow. Win7 and 8 worked perfectly fine.

My windows 10 installation boots up in about 7 seconds... Idk what your pc is doing but it aint right.

This ^

My windows 10 installation boots up in about 7 seconds... Idk what your pc is doing but it aint right.

Yep, my Windows 10 boots up fast as well, but I'm also using a SSD. :)

I was already a bit annoyed when Microsoft added "telemetry" to Windows 7 & 8 and tried to sneak that "Get Windows 10" nag stuff everywhere. The only options were to either accept it or manually screen every update before installing (which meant checking MSDN because the description in Windows Update is some copy&paste bullshit).

Silliest one was the "Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements" - It's a performance update because it adds data collection stuff that gets sent to Microsoft so they can tell how well their Windows 10 peddling performs :lol:

There was a voat page for something called aegis which was just some scripting run from a bunch of files to get rid of known updates in 7 and 8 and block in the hosts file all that telemetry crap etc. search google for aegis voat it should be one of the first results. The author went all boo hoo emo and quit updating it something about voat being just another shitty reddit clone. So now all we have is the last version of aegis which is still listed there I think. It works but anything new will just not be removed.

Intel and amd announced just the other day that their new hardware will no longer support windows 7 OR 8 just win10. There is also additional DRM in the latest intel stuff coming out soon. The more they try to push people to win10 the more business and end users will try to adapt and may even switch to something non windows. Most end users will try switching to mac but some people might even try linux. What I would like to see is a VM for windows 7 running from linux that can handle hardware acceleration so we can play games and stuff and not have windows natively installed. Browse the net and whatever with linux, go run games and apps from VM. I don't understand why they can't get hardware acceleration to work for VM or did they fix that?

Guest nvidiot

Clean installed both my work laptop (Lenovo G580) and my main "Gaming PC" (its an anicent 1st Gen i5 750 build with some meaty upgrades here & there), and both went without a single hitch. I do however, intend to swap board+cpu+RAM to the latest gen i5 6600K in early next year. Would that reovke the license i'm currently using on my PC. If yes, how would I be able to get it re-activated.

Would appreciate some thoughts about this scenario if anyone has recently come across this.

Clean installed both my work laptop (Lenovo G580) and my main "Gaming PC" (its an anicent 1st Gen i5 750 build with some meaty upgrades here & there), and both went without a single hitch. I do however, intend to swap board+cpu+RAM to the latest gen i5 6600K in early next year. Would that reovke the license i'm currently using on my PC. If yes, how would I be able to get it re-activated.

Would appreciate some thoughts about this scenario if anyone has recently come across this.

If you want to upgrade your cpu next year try buying kabylake (7000) instead of skylake (6000), I think with windows 7/8 you had to call a phone number but last time i tried activating windows 10 I just messaged windows support desk.

Archived