Windows 10 Anniversary Update...

Slammer64

Clean installed both my work laptop (Lenovo G580) and my main "Gaming PC" (its an anicent 1st Gen i5 750 build with some meaty upgrades here & there), and both went without a single hitch. I do however, intend to swap board+cpu+RAM to the latest gen i5 6600K in early next year. Would that reovke the license i'm currently using on my PC. If yes, how would I be able to get it re-activated.

Would appreciate some thoughts about this scenario if anyone has recently come across this.

If you want to upgrade your cpu next year try buying kabylake (7000) instead of skylake (6000), I think with windows 7/8 you had to call a phone number but last time i tried activating windows 10 I just messaged windows support desk.

My understanding is once you have a licensed windows device you don't need to reactivate the licens as you had to do in the past. It looks for the license. provided you have the same hardware. Not sure how much can be changed before it messes this part up.

Clean installed both my work laptop (Lenovo G580) and my main "Gaming PC" (its an anicent 1st Gen i5 750 build with some meaty upgrades here & there), and both went without a single hitch. I do however, intend to swap board+cpu+RAM to the latest gen i5 6600K in early next year. Would that reovke the license i'm currently using on my PC. If yes, how would I be able to get it re-activated.

Would appreciate some thoughts about this scenario if anyone has recently come across this.

If you want to upgrade your cpu next year try buying kabylake (7000) instead of skylake (6000), I think with windows 7/8 you had to call a phone number but last time i tried activating windows 10 I just messaged windows support desk.

My understanding is once you have a licensed windows device you don't need to reactivate the licens as you had to do in the past. It looks for the license. provided you have the same hardware. Not sure how much can be changed before it messes this part up.

Changing motherboard and or CPU or harddrive requires re-authorization, usually anything else will not.

harddrive does not require re-auth, MB will always require re-auth as M$ uses the bios to remember that the machine had win 10 activated - the unique ID that windows generates is based on the hardware but the MB changes the ID more than anything else (i don't know about the CPU as i don't change the CPU without changing MB too)

Do you have to buy Windows 10 every time you buy a new motherboard? I did not know about that. 

The free Windows 10 upgrade comes with a brand new license called "digital privilege" and it's unclear what kind of terms it has going forward.

In the old system where there are two licenses for consumers (corporations have different contracts): OEM or retail.  OEM is tied to the machine you bought so the license expires with the machine.  Retail you paid for separately and you can put it on any machine you want.  I have retail licenses for Win7 and Win8 and it has passed every activation when I replaced MB, CPU or both.

Do you have to buy Windows 10 every time you buy a new motherboard? I did not know about that. 

No, I have had no trouble reauthorizing windows 7 or 10 after a hardware change, I have had to contact MS to get them re-authorized tho, but it is a relatively painless process <as compared to getting tech support in general...>

Looks like Amazon no longer ships Windows 7 internationally, so I'll have to either search for a crack or something for my next build... or I'll have to switch to Linux and stop playing games on Windows... I have no intention to pay a hundred bucks for a piece of shit botnet...

Amazon.com may have stopped ... there's other amazons. Like I got my English/multilingual Windows 7 off Amazon for 30 Euro, from a seller "Stop Computer".

This one seems to be actually legal (the previous one I'd bought is apparently a bootleg Windows DVD created by a Ukrainian mafia for PC-Fritz.de -- Microsoft did not deactivate the illegal copies, instead they got PC-Fritz locked up)

Just make sure to - if you use amazon.de - search for Windows 7 English or Windows 7 Multilingual, not Windows 7 Deutsch.

• 6 months later...

So, if I would choose to switch from W7 to W10, what should I watch for? How will it affect my games and associated programs like MO and CK?

If you're doing a direct upgrade from 7 to 10? Nothing.  It may say some programs are incompatible, but chances are they work just fine.  MO and the CK work fine out of the box.  If you're doing a clean install? Usual stuff.

And while this thread is oldish, so far I've upgraded every piece of hardware except an SSD on this rig and haven't had a single problem getting Win10 to re-auth.

So, if I would choose to switch from W7 to W10, what should I watch for? How will it affect my games and associated programs like MO and CK?

If your playing original skyrim only by upgrading you will limit the amount of memory you can specify in the ENB to 4064 due to how win10 handles directx9

Notice:Windows 8/10 users: Microsoft has, unintentionally, introduced a memory limit for DirectX 9 games/software. This limit is 4GBs (4096) and there is nothing which can be done to circumvent this limit. For users seeing the VRamSizeTest tool reporting 4064 or similar, this is not a mistake. This is actually the limit for the OS in use and the maximum value you can set the VideoMemorySizeMb to

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory

If you are already saying more than that and its working for you on win7 stay on win7 unless your playing other games that will benefit from win10/later directx versions

Archived