Fallout 4 Animation Modding (for modders and animators)

Well, just so everyone is on the same page.

Sex animation with SexTec will not require to create paired animations in a way as Vanilla Paired animations work. Just as in Skyrim, they will be simply aligned to each other using pre-defined positions. Those positions will be in the rig in a form of Dummy\Point objects, which you snap character's Root object to. And thats basically it.

Thats the idea at least.

So I personally decided not to dive too much into paired animations, at least we can replace them already, thats good.
The data inside animtextdata seems to be autogenerated, obviously, so, i dunno...

And i dunno, but I only see debug node inside those nif files, and some other single 'addon' node.

Well, if they are in any case aligment nodes, they don't have to be animated anyway. Alignment is usually done once at the start of the animation, then it's just animation.

And hey, there is no bbcode here, it's html, you can view it directly by clicking a white square switch-ish button in the left top corner.

Guest kimbale

I was thinking ... no one puzzle out the plugin from Bethesda for 3dmax2013 that with the CreationKit? there is scripts for the weapons and skeletons and animation?

Maybe it's to do the annotations...?

I was thinking ... no one puzzle out the plugin from Bethesda for 3dmax2013 that with the CreationKit? there is scripts for the weapons and skeletons and animation?

That's for animated NIFs, it's a different beast than character animations, which is what people are trying to do here.

Its used for Weapons , Mesh animation and Skinned Objects 

The Readme

**********REQUIREMENTS********** 
1. The BGS Fallout 4 NIF Export Plugin Toolset only supports 3ds Max 2013 x64.
2. To use this installer, 3ds Max 2013 x64 must be installed in the primary drive's "Program Files" directory, or the plugins will not be copied properly.

Installation Steps:
1. Close 3dsMax 2013 if it's open (the installer detects this).
2. Double click "BGS_Fallout4Exporter_1.2.52.0.exe" in this folder.
3. You may need to restart your computer due to an environment variable change.

Additional Setup:
1. Load 3ds Max 2013. If there are any errors regarding MaxPlugin.dle, or any of the other BGS plugins, the installation was not successful.
    -Make sure you are following the requirements listed above.
2. Select the 'Customize' -> 'Configure User Paths' menu options.
    -Under 'External Files' tab, you need to add the new directory "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2013\plugins\BGS\Shaders\", or equivalent.
3. Configuring texture remapping -- This allows multiple users to share source/dds files, regardless of the file locations.
    -Open the material editor.
    -Create a BSLightingFX material (select the 'Standard' button and choose it from the material type list).
    -Select the 'Settings' button (will likely be in the center of the UI).
    -Select the 'Data:' button. Navigate to a directory named "Data" you want to use for DDS textures.
        -NOTE: This directory must have a folder named "Textures" immediately below it. (i.e. "Data\Textures\Clutter\ClutterTexture.dds")
    -Select the 'Source:' button. Navigate to a root directory you want to use to store TGA source files.
        -NOTE: This directory must have a folder named "TGATextures" immediately below it. (i.e. "C:\Source\TGATextures\Clutter\ClutterTexture.tga")

Exporting:
1. Select a single scene object, then select File -> Export -> Export Selected to open the export dialog.
    -Only one export root is fully supported at the moment. If you need to export multiple geometries together, create a dummy parent and export that.
2. The "PE Static Art", "PE Skinned Geometry", and "PE Anim" are the most commonly used export scripts.
    -On export, the script name is added to each NIF's header. When creating new NIFs, it may be useful to view a similar existing NIF's header so you can use the same export script.
3. Export scripts are ordered lists of processing plugins with custom processing options.
    -It is recommended not to modify these scripts, as there are unspecified order requirements for various processes.
    -If necessary, the scripts can be modified in the export dialog, or in their text files.

Important Notes:
1. There is a LOT of deprecated functionality in the toolset. We don't use most of the gamebryo-specific scripts/plugins anymore, so it is recommended not to use them as they have no function.
2. Due to 3dsMax performance issues, workflow for larger assets or kits preferred use of the 'BSBlinn' material type as opposed to the typical BSLightingFX material.
    -This references either a scene BSLightingFX material or a BGSM (preferred), and will export normally when applied.
3. 3dsMax 2013 does not support DX11 texture formats, so we preferred texture mapping of source TGA.
    -This path is saved as *.dds so it is important to keep an identical hierarchy between source/dds directories.
4. Fallout 4 now supports the use of BGSM/BGEM files. These are JSON representations of shader/material data.
    -After nailing down UVs, it is preferred to edit materials using our Material Browser webpage (colored bubbles button in the Creation Kit toolbar).
        -Our custom 3dsMax lighting shaders have visual issues compared to using the Material Browser to edit materials in realtime in the Creation Kit.
    -Any BGSM/BGEM changes can be refreshed in 3dsMax using the material file buttons at the top of our scripted material UIs.
    -Our custom BGSM files also hook into perforce, if you prefer to use it.
        -Select the 'Settings' button, then type in the name of your P4 workspace in the "Workspace" text field.

Animated Dildos perhaps ^^ 

Guest kimbale

Its used for Weapons , Mesh animation and Skinned Objects 

The Readme

1. The BGS Fallout 4 NIF Export Plugin Toolset only supports 3ds Max 2013 x64.
2. To use this installer, 3ds Max 2013 x64 must be installed in the primary drive's "Program Files" directory, or the plugins will not be copied properly.

Installation Steps:
1. Close 3dsMax 2013 if it's open (the installer detects this).
2. Double click "BGS_Fallout4Exporter_1.2.52.0.exe" in this folder.
3. You may need to restart your computer due to an environment variable change.

Additional Setup:
1. Load 3ds Max 2013. If there are any errors regarding MaxPlugin.dle, or any of the other BGS plugins, the installation was not successful.
    -Make sure you are following the requirements listed above.
2. Select the 'Customize' -> 'Configure User Paths' menu options.
    -Under 'External Files' tab, you need to add the new directory "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2013\plugins\BGS\Shaders\", or equivalent.
3. Configuring texture remapping -- This allows multiple users to share source/dds files, regardless of the file locations.
    -Open the material editor.
    -Create a BSLightingFX material (select the 'Standard' button and choose it from the material type list).
    -Select the 'Settings' button (will likely be in the center of the UI).
    -Select the 'Data:' button. Navigate to a directory named "Data" you want to use for DDS textures.
        -NOTE: This directory must have a folder named "Textures" immediately below it. (i.e. "Data\Textures\Clutter\ClutterTexture.dds")
    -Select the 'Source:' button. Navigate to a root directory you want to use to store TGA source files.
        -NOTE: This directory must have a folder named "TGATextures" immediately below it. (i.e. "C:\Source\TGATextures\Clutter\ClutterTexture.tga")

Exporting:
1. Select a single scene object, then select File -> Export -> Export Selected to open the export dialog.
    -Only one export root is fully supported at the moment. If you need to export multiple geometries together, create a dummy parent and export that.
2. The "PE Static Art", "PE Skinned Geometry", and "PE Anim" are the most commonly used export scripts.
    -On export, the script name is added to each NIF's header. When creating new NIFs, it may be useful to view a similar existing NIF's header so you can use the same export script.
3. Export scripts are ordered lists of processing plugins with custom processing options.
    -It is recommended not to modify these scripts, as there are unspecified order requirements for various processes.
    -If necessary, the scripts can be modified in the export dialog, or in their text files.

Important Notes:
1. There is a LOT of deprecated functionality in the toolset. We don't use most of the gamebryo-specific scripts/plugins anymore, so it is recommended not to use them as they have no function.
2. Due to 3dsMax performance issues, workflow for larger assets or kits preferred use of the 'BSBlinn' material type as opposed to the typical BSLightingFX material.
    -This references either a scene BSLightingFX material or a BGSM (preferred), and will export normally when applied.
3. 3dsMax 2013 does not support DX11 texture formats, so we preferred texture mapping of source TGA.
    -This path is saved as *.dds so it is important to keep an identical hierarchy between source/dds directories.
4. Fallout 4 now supports the use of BGSM/BGEM files. These are JSON representations of shader/material data.
    -After nailing down UVs, it is preferred to edit materials using our Material Browser webpage (colored bubbles button in the Creation Kit toolbar).
        -Our custom 3dsMax lighting shaders have visual issues compared to using the Material Browser to edit materials in realtime in the Creation Kit.
    -Any BGSM/BGEM changes can be refreshed in 3dsMax using the material file buttons at the top of our scripted material UIs.
    -Our custom BGSM files also hook into perforce, if you prefer to use it.
        -Select the 'Settings' button, then type in the name of your P4 workspace in the "Workspace" text field.

Animated Dildos perhaps ^^ 

Urgh, 3dsmax 2013... Couldn't the nifskope plugins export animation for nifs? 

Animated Dildos are one thing, but all the animated furniture is done with animated nifs, so any new workstation or the like needs some original animated nif. Just think of buildable sybians, much better with animated objects. ^^

I just downloaded the latest version of blender the other day and am interested in animating..

I am not wanting to get into anything serious..lol though just want to play around with animations.

Would those files work with Blender? because i have two ideas that I would like to play around with..

Being totally new to modern animation, well it looks a bit more complex these days.. specially when you have experienced people talking about it all..

I would use GECK for fallout 4 though with all due respect I am deciding whether it is worth signing up to Bethesda just to get a free program.. since they never did that before and i have enough accounts as it is without having to try remember yet another one...

anyway my ideas are a weapon called the Blender, taking the junk weapon and making it lighter while putting springs in it that make the spiked nails twist while having a sharp blade to the right of the spikes that rotate right while heading towards the victim.. The aim is not great though the hit would do a fair bit of damage to the body..

The load would use a punch/spring action which could be manual or automatic pull back action to load another spiked missile into the modified junk gun.. The bullets would be small but round and make the  junk gun lighter be modding it..

The other  thing i would like is to get two bodies, like you have on nexus and to just play around. .since there seems to be a need for some animations for fo4 .. i just wanted to see how i could go with a male and female body..

For example, When you take piper to the brewery and she leans on to the railing, at the top floor once you rescue vlad. well that  might be a good pose to work on.. or with..

Thanks for any help or advice.. ...

Cheers

I DID IT!

https://youtu.be/mNdUzW_QEhE

All joints work now, the rig.txt file looks to be working now. It is already uploaded on Git as Fallout4Rig_byShadeAnimator_FULL.txt

I'm not sure about the correct hierarchy of all the additional bones inside max scene, but it looks like everything that we need is working in the game. MUAHAHAAAA

The videos are private so i cant view them to find out what you did.. lol

I just downloaded the latest version of blender the other day and am interested in animating..

Thanks for any help or advice.. ...

Cheers

First of all I need to welcome you to all the animation.. stuff we're working on, as another participant in working with animations for F4 :D

Now, I'll answer in order:

I am not wanting to get into anything serious..lol though just want to play around with animations.

Would those files work with Blender? because i have two ideas that I would like to play around with..

Being totally new to modern animation, well it looks a bit more complex these days.. specially when you have experienced people talking about it all..

Well, if you want help on this matter, define "serious" and "play around" and "nowadays" compared to what? Technology of 3d animation for games really did not change much throughout, I think, about 10 years. Just more joints, more vertices and more complex rigs for animation. Well, in some cases - easier rigs, like we now have CAT and a ton of other autorigs for all software packages.

Speaking about blender - well, no and yes.

You will be able to use the Guide. You will be able to use the FBX file with skeleton and mesh, without the animation rig.

You will still need 3ds Max, Maya or Softimage to export animation into the game. It is all described in detail in the Guide. So, just read it.

I would use GECK for fallout 4 though with all due respect I am deciding whether it is worth signing up to Bethesda just to get a free program.. since they never did that before and i have enough accounts as it is without having to try remember yet another one...

Well, nowadays making accounts should not really cause any hassle. Because it's everywhere, and there are reasons for it, it makes a lot of things easier. Also they all essentially tie up to either nickname or e-mail, and as far as you use one password for them (same password for non-security-important accounts seems ok), then it's like the same account everywhere. Same login information. What's hard about it? You can also get a notepad and write accounts down there, if you want different passwords and all, but it's not worth it. So I recommend not being SO lazy and making an account and downloading GECK, I don't see any reasons against it.

anyway my ideas are a weapon called the Blender, taking the junk weapon and making it lighter while putting springs in it that make the spiked nails twist while having a sharp blade to the right of the spikes that rotate right while heading towards the victim.. The aim is not great though the hit would do a fair bit of damage to the body..

The load would use a punch/spring action which could be manual or automatic pull back action to load another spiked missile into the modified junk gun.. The bullets would be small but round and make the  junk gun lighter be modding it..

Well, you should have pretty much everything you need in F4AK and F4Biped for 1st person animations. I recommend taking a look at vanilla weapon files first, nifs with models, their organisations and joints, and convert same weapon  animation hkx files into fbx and take a look at those as well. Since your weapon is moving, try using some moving weapons too, a minigun for example.

The other  thing i would like is to get two bodies, like you have on nexus and to just play around. .since there seems to be a need for some animations for fo4 .. i just wanted to see how i could go with a male and female body..

For example, When you take piper to the brewery and she leans on to the railing, at the top floor once you rescue vlad. well that  might be a good pose to work on.. or with..

Same, everything you need should be in the Guide and Kit.

I DID IT!

https://youtu.be/mNdUzW_QEhE

All joints work now, the rig.txt file looks to be working now. It is already uploaded on Git as Fallout4Rig_byShadeAnimator_FULL.txt

I'm not sure about the correct hierarchy of all the additional bones inside max scene, but it looks like everything that we need is working in the game. MUAHAHAAAA

The videos are private so i cant view them to find out what you did.. lol

Yeah, I moved videos to another account, did not update all the links I guess. 

There are all the videos

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKTfam4K4NwTJS2_SIr5AUoTmi9LD9-2m 

First of all I need to welcome you to all the animation.. stuff we're working on, as another participant in working with animations for F4 :D

Now, I'll answer in order:

Thanks for the welcome ... Appreciate it..

Well, if you want help on this matter, define "serious" and "play around" and "nowadays" compared to what? Technology of 3d animation for games really did not change much throughout, I think, about 10 years. Just more joints, more vertices and more complex rigs for animation. Well, in some cases - easier rigs, like we now have CAT and a ton of other autorigs for all software packages.

Speaking about blender - well, no and yes.

You will be able to use the Guide. You will be able to use the FBX file with skeleton and mesh, without the animation rig.

You will still need 3ds Max, Maya or Softimage to export animation into the game. It is all described in detail in the Guide. So, just read it.

By serious i meant not getting to deep into at first by attempting to make anything usable and posting it on Nexus straight away .. lol

By playing around I meant learning, discovery and so forth..

Being  noob/newbie at animation so to speak, i think differently to experienced people, so apology about that..

For example, to do animations of avatars/characters within FO4 I assume or think in such a way that I would only need two basic files that relate to fallout 4 to load, so i have the right height ect for the animation processes to take place.. If only one is needed then the second (be it male or female) would be the guide to the other. if that makes sense..

I have been reading and watching and taking in all the info i can get hold of.. there seems a lot to take in on youtube as well as these forums. sometimes so much info that it is hard to keep up with a thread sometimes because you see links and info about something and you get the picture.. lol ..

Well, nowadays making accounts should not really cause any hassle. Because it's everywhere, and there are reasons for it, it makes a lot of things easier. Also they all essentially tie up to either nickname or e-mail, and as far as you use one password for them (same password for non-security-important accounts seems ok), then it's like the same account everywhere. Same login information. What's hard about it? You can also get a notepad and write accounts down there, if you want different passwords and all, but it's not worth it. So I recommend not being SO lazy and making an account and downloading GECK, I don't see any reasons against it.

I realize all that, it was just me babbling on about a pet peeve so to speak, specially when you have one and half a dozen other accounts to things just to get one item.. and from my understanding the last GECK was something you did not need to sign up for.. for FONV, anyway apology about that. I let it slip out.. lol

Well, you should have pretty much everything you need in F4AK and F4Biped for 1st person animations. I recommend taking a look at vanilla weapon files first, nifs with models, their organisations and joints, and convert same weapon  animation hkx files into fbx and take a look at those as well. Since your weapon is moving, try using some moving weapons too, a minigun for example.

Well I understand the ideas I presented are complex and would need me to be more experienced in modding to get anywhere with those, this why i was inquiring about char sets/models for Blender and if they were compatible ect, I think it would be easy to learn basics first before getting into complex weaponry, I just wanted to impress with some unique ideas. Though did not want to ask anyone as i have seen posts complaining about how people always ask and never try to get into modding themselves..

Same, everything you need should be in the Guide and Kit.

Yeah, I moved videos to another account, did not update all the links I guess. 

There are all the videos

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKTfam4K4NwTJS2_SIr5AUoTmi9LD9-2m 

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the links.. I will start with tutorials  on Blender first and if you recommend another program (like havock or 3D max) then i would consider using them instead, as I wouldn't want any complications from different programs to interfere with the processes ...

Cheers.

Guest kimbale

*snip* 

*snip*

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the links.. I will start with tutorials  on Blender first and if you recommend another program (like havock or 3D max) then i would consider using them instead, as I wouldn't want any complications from different programs to interfere with the processes ...

As you will have to get 3dsmax (or Maya) to export working animations, you could pick up some skills there too. It's widely used and is - in my opinion - better to learn how stuff actually works behind the scenes then Blender. 

If you have access to any kind of "educational" email address, you can get free student licenses from Autodesk.

Just don't panic when trying to navigate the 3dsmax interface for the first time, the design goes by "have EVERYTHING ready as a button in a single interface!" - you'll probably need about 10% of the interface for a certain task.

*snip* 

*snip*

As you will have to get 3dsmax (or Maya) to export working animations, you could pick up some skills there too. It's widely used and is - in my opinion - better to learn how stuff actually works behind the scenes then Blender. 

If you have access to any kind of "educational" email address, you can get free student licenses from Autodesk.

Just don't panic when trying to navigate the 3dsmax interface for the first time, the design goes by "have EVERYTHING ready as a button in a single interface!" - you'll probably need about 10% of the interface for a certain task.

Well I had noticed and watched videos on blender having 3D Max interface along with maya compatibility ect.. if that dont count, then i will see about getting 3D max..

Cheers.

As kimbale said, right now for F4 modding 3ds max is the #1 choice.

Maya is also suitable for this.

For F4 modding I recommend 3ds max. 

If you want to become a professional animator - maya is a better choice, but it has a steeper learning curve in animation, because of the lack of built-in auto-rigging systems. But it will give you much better insight on how stuff works under the hood.

For any other profession (Generalist, character artist, vfx, etc) it's hard to recommend max or maya, especially now, since Autodesk is actively shifting what those programs are aimed at.

Cheers.

If you want to become a professional animator - maya is a better choice, but it has a steeper learning curve in animation, because of the lack of built-in auto-rigging systems. But it will give you much better insight on how stuff works under the hood.

For any other profession (Generalist, character artist, vfx, etc) it's hard to recommend max or maya, especially now, since Autodesk is actively shifting what those programs are aimed at.

Well i just looked into buying 3DMax and fell back off my chair... lol

I'm just a middle aged folk that was looking to learn something new.. lol.. or to try something different.. lol

http://www.autodesk.com/store/products/3ds-max?licenseType=desktopSub&term=1year&support=basic&mktvar004=ilt_wwm_amer_us_nc__topseller5_3dsmax___

I'm just a middle aged folk that was looking to learn something new.. lol.. or to try something different.. lol

http://www.autodesk.com/store/products/3ds-max?licenseType=desktopSub&term=1year&support=basic&mktvar004=ilt_wwm_amer_us_nc__topseller5_3dsmax___

Yeah its ridiculous how much they could make if it were priced reasonably for what it costs to produce copies.

If you ever decide to go back to college, you can download and use 3DSMax for free with relatively little hassle:

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/3ds-max

The price for 3ds max right now is quite fair. It could be less, but still. You only pay 185$ a month (122$\mo if you subscribe for 1 year), when using it you can earn about 1500-5000$ a month, depending on your skill and opportunities, etc.

And still, there are always ways to obtain such software through means which we are not allowed to discuss here.

Cheers.

260 smakeroos per month here down under but then again Alias AutoStudio is 2540 per month!

Cheers.

260 smakeroos per month here down under but then again Alias AutoStudio is 2540 per month!

I am the type of guy that if you buy it you should at least own it, it reminds me of world of Warcraft, buying the game then leasing the main contents out over a month or six months ect..

Ill stick with blender and maybe one day i can find out how to convert fallout 4 over to it..

I believe in two things, simplicity even for new features.. simplicity goes a long way.. specially with programs.. and logic..

2 if you buy it and spend your money on it, you should at least own it to some point of still being able to use or play it, even if you dont subscribe to it anymore...

Anyway, apology guys.. I thought i was going to get into something kool.. I cant afford things like that. just a pensioner with a DSP..

Guest kimbale

Cheers.

I am the type of guy that if you buy it you should at least own it, it reminds me of world of Warcraft, buying the game then leasing the main contents out over a month or six months ect..

Ill stick with blender and maybe one day i can find out how to convert fallout 4 over to it..

I believe in two things, simplicity even for new features.. simplicity goes a long way.. specially with programs.. and logic..

2 if you buy it and spend your money on it, you should at least own it to some point of still being able to use or play it, even if you dont subscribe to it anymore...

Anyway, apology guys.. I thought i was going to get into something kool.. I cant afford things like that. just a pensioner with a DSP..

Well, the main problem ist that you need 3dsmax for HCT. You can still make animations in Blender, you'll just need someone to run them through HCT to get them ingame. 

Since animating itself takes the most time (now - never again do i want to remember skyrim animation) and Shadeanimator set up his kit so well that import is easy, you could very well help out people by making animations. There's never enough animators.

Cheers.

I'm pretty sure at the moment 3ds Max is a must , atleast for exporting F04's HCT.
Get the Student Version and Learn Max.
If Your Stubborn like me , I personally will never let go of blender 2.7+ (  2.49b :P )  Animations are already possible for FO4 , just need HCT for the export.

I will release a CBBE Rig for Blender once I have the time atleast the basic skeleton with the Body for animation testing and also ask people to test the built in fbx exporter for blender 2.7+
(2.49b)
post-8713-0-20957200-1471218290_thumb.jpg

The Cbbe mesh and skeleton is ready mostly just need to Hide/Group  the useless bones like the skin bones

Cheers
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheers.

Well, the main problem ist that you need 3dsmax for HCT. You can still make animations in Blender, you'll just need someone to run them through HCT to get them ingame. 

Since animating itself takes the most time (now - never again do i want to remember skyrim animation) and Shadeanimator set up his kit so well that import is easy, you could very well help out people by making animations. There's never enough animators.

I think it would be awesome to play with animations, fallout 4 gives me so many ideas sometimes.. like vault 88 for example,

Doing the eye test for subliminal testing and so forth, could make unlimited control over the NPC that took the test, male or female.. and giving hints in pictures or words you say to them could trigger a hormonal affect if you know what i mean... lol

The thing is, i never modded before. so as a newbie i seek to learn as easy as possible, i know, who doesn't right?.

As for the files, i downloaded the files posted here, though none show up in blender.. (assuming that it is because of 3Dmax format or that blender does not recognize fallout 4 format which is mentioned here.)

Mind you, i am still reading through the posts as well because i took a break from so much info..  re the geck, the animations, scripting, thinking of mods i can do and make, though not having a clue how to with the programs available .. so taking my time with it while i also attempt to finish fallout 4 for the first time... lol

Cheers.

I'm pretty sure at the moment 3ds Max is a must , atleast for exporting F04's HCT.
Get the Student Version and Learn Max.
If Your Stubborn like me , I personally will never let go of blender 2.7+ (  2.49b :P )  Animations are already possible for FO4 , just need HCT for the export.

I will release a CBBE Rig for Blender once I have the time atleast the basic skeleton with the Body for animation testing and also ask people to test the built in fbx exporter for blender 2.7+
(2.49b)

The Cbbe mesh and skeleton is ready mostly just need to Hide/Group  the useless bones like the skin bones

Cheers

That picture is basically all i need, is the shape of the human male and female body so that i can get that rhythm  going .... lol

Once i get files for blender, i can then just start exploring the program and play around with the animations ect..

Apology if it seems a pain...