Fallout 4 Animation Modding (for modders and animators)

One small question...

There is 3 different values of physics in the sturges outfit, we have 2 pouch_config and one neck, the neck goes for the breasts physics, but how the clothdata knows what bones are to use?

I ask these, because if the bone that must be used is set on the clothdata and not the skeleton, maybe we can think of how to put the clothphysics on the basic bones, like the fat ones.

One small question...

There is 3 different values of physics in the sturges outfit, we have 2 pouch_config and one neck, the neck goes for the breasts physics, but how the clothdata knows what bones are to use?

I ask these, because if the bone that must be used is set on the clothdata and not the skeleton, maybe we can think of how to put the clothphysics on the basic bones, like the fat ones.

It's set in the hclSimpleMeshBoneDeformOperator (under "bone offset" which is the bone indice times 64) and the hclObjectSpaceSkinPNOperator (the transformSubset matches bone indices to "temporary indices", used below).

The bone indices are the ones defined in the lowest section (hkaSkeleton).The name are ordered ("bones" parameter) and each bone is the mapped to a transform (which is the bone XYZ vector, under "referencePose") ans well as a parent (or NULL = 65535 for the root bone, under "parentIndices").

One small question...

It's set in the hclSimpleMeshBoneDeformOperator (under "bone offset" which is the bone indice times 64) and the hclObjectSpaceSkinPNOperator (the transformSubset matches bone indices to "temporary indices", used below).

The bone indices are the ones defined in the lowest section (hkaSkeleton).The name are ordered ("bones" parameter) and each bone is the mapped to a transform (which is the bone XYZ vector, under "referencePose") ans well as a parent (or NULL = 65535 for the root bone, under "parentIndices").

Huge thanks again DexesTTP.

For what i understand can be done, this could help us a lot right?

I will burn my brain on this info you gave before trouble you again, or you will spend more time teaching them making.

Thanks again! :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I don't know if it's the right place to post my problem but i work on a new project that require new animation. But i run into a very strange problem and may be you can help me to solve it.

Everytime i try to export a simple idle animation, everything looks well in 3ds max, I've put keyframe on all bones. I've carefully read the F4AK tutorial but i've made my animation by importing the vanilla skeleton like i did for fnv. The CAT rigged skeleton required more control (LLeg_Thigh and RLeg_Thigh badly rotate).

HCT exported my animation with only the root node warning but it looks like it's normal. Unfortunately, when i play my animation in game, some bones goes everywhere or turn on them for an unknown reason. I don't know what i did wrong :/

(I've exported my anim with the FO4_Human_3rd_Rig.txt and F4Animation.hko)

3dsmax_2017_01_11_18_35_56_63.jpg

Fallout4_2017_01_11_18_45_42_21.jpg

[\spoiler]

My problem come from these bones:

- All Finger bones (L & R);

- LLeg_Toe1 and RLeg_Toe1

- LArm_UpperTwist2 and RArm_UpperTwist2

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I'm facing an issue with Fallout 4 animations in 3D Max. I hope anyone with experience can help me out.

I'm currently doing various animations/idle poses using the biped rig. While for the most part everything is working fine, the only issue I'm having is that if bring the leg up a certain height, it doesn't look correct. For example, take this image for instance:

.qyLowEz.0.jpg

If I were to replicate this pose, the knee that's bent all the way close to her hips won't look like that. The model in 3D Max looks perfectly fine, but when loaded up in game, the leg is only half raised and not like this picture at all. Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

• 3 weeks later...

Has this project dropped off?

Things haven't been updated in a while and so on.

Could you also take a look, @ShadeAnimator at this?

https://github.com/ShadeAnimator/ShadeAnimator_Fallout4_AnimationKit/issues/1

edit:

Also, I've read over this guide multiple times and I can't seem to /get/ it when it comes to getting creatures in with their animations, 

Could someone help me?

Approaches I've tried:

Getting the deathclaw.nif and loading the skeleton.nif, then converting the animation to 32bit using export and then loading in the animation. This just makes the Deathclaw's rootbone move and nothing else, none of the other bones move -- could this have something to do with converting the skeleton.hkx to 32bit?

note: converted crashes at end of process, but fbx file is still generated

So I tried that.

I tried using convertanimation32 which crashed 3dsmax.

Then I tried using the "createskeleton" with my rig.txt, which I saved as skeleton.hkx. Ran it through the converter, crash 50% through, still get fbx file, still only moves the root bone of the creature, no arms/legs/etc

If I remember correctly, ShadeAnimator said he would keep an eye on this for when F4SE and a framework come out. But, as of now, his animation kit seems at least near complete. It's more than we ever had in Skyrim already.

Got it, do you know anything about the creature skeleton, or am I misunderstanding -- can we import creature animations?

"It will also automatically define the skeleton.hkx. The right skeleton.hkx is already included in the folder with F4AK_HKXPackUI. But if you need to work with a new skeleton, you need to convert it into 32 bit as well first"

This is all I seem to be able to find on where I may possibly be going wrong.

Though, I guess I'm not understanding how to convert a skeleton to 32bit?

I tried running it through ConvertAnimation_x32 and the Create Skeletons configuration set with my rig.txt

If I remember correctly, ShadeAnimator said he would keep an eye on this for when F4SE and a framework come out. But, as of now, his animation kit seems at least near complete. It's more than we ever had in Skyrim already.

Got it, do you know anything about the creature skeleton, or am I misunderstanding -- can we import creature animations?

"It will also automatically define the skeleton.hkx. The right skeleton.hkx is already included in the folder with F4AK_HKXPackUI. But if you need to work with a new skeleton, you need to convert it into 32 bit as well first"

I tried running it through ConvertAnimation_x32 and the Create Skeletons configuration set with my rig.txt

When you just want to animnate Deathclaws you could take a look at this.

I haven´t tried importing skeletons but i think you just need to import the Skeleton.nif into 3ds max, and create a rig.txt out of the skeleton.

You should not need to import the skeleton.hkx into max.

After rigging and animating you´re exporting the animation with your rig.txt and thats it.

When you want to import an animation you just need to convert the animation.hkx to 32 bit with HCT and then use HKXtoFBX.

After importing the skeleton.nif or a premade rig you just need to import the .fbx on top of that with "update animation" ticked.

When you just want to animnate Deathclaws you could take a look at this.

I haven´t tried importing skeletons but i think you just need to import the Skeleton.nif into 3ds max, and create a rig.txt out of the skeleton.

You should not need to import the skeleton.hkx into max.

After rigging and animating you´re exporting the animation with your rig.txt and thats it.

When you want to import an animation you just need to convert the animation.hkx to 32 bit with HCT and then use HKXtoFBX.

After importing the skeleton.nif or a premade rig you just need to import the .fbx on top of that with "update animation" ticked.

Tried that, I think the issue is somewhere along the line on converting the animation.hkx to FBX, since you need the skeleton.hkx of the creature, no?

So does the skeleton.hkx need to be 32bit? That's what I'm understanding from the quote.

When using the converter via commandline, it just crashes uses the skeleton.hkx from any creature unmodified. When using the ui, it kinda crashes but generates a file, but I think this may be related as to why the animations just don't load right?

I have imported the skeleton.nif into max along with just an animation that I ran through a converter as best as possible.

Using the existing skeleton.hkx to make the fbx, this happens:

ITaO3rdOHIer_2017-03-18_16-24-10.gif

Hi guys. Still busy with RL stuff, and will be for at least a month more.

As for creature animations - currently F4AK has all the information you need to create NEW animations for existing creatures. 

If I remember it correctly, all you need for it is skeleton.hkx file, ORIGINAL, not converted into anything else. 

You need to use my tool to generate rig.txt file from this skeleton.hkx file (or Skeleton.hkx).

However there is currently a bug in current version, resulting in xml reading error. I just fixed it on my machine, and it works fine, will upload it shortly.

Now, when you have this rig.txt file you'll only use it during export process. From what I see you managed to imported model and skeleton rig properly.

As for importing animations that's another process. MaikCG should have more input on it, actually, I never really figured all the details of animation import out myself. To be able to convert animation into FBX you'll need skeleton.hkx for your character converted into x32, and I don't think that preset for converting it is included with F4AK as of now. I don't even have it myself.

As for creature animations - currently F4AK has all the information you need to create NEW animations for existing creatures. 

If I remember it correctly, all you need for it is skeleton.hkx file, ORIGINAL, not converted into anything else. 

You need to use my tool to generate rig.txt file from this skeleton.hkx file (or Skeleton.hkx).

However there is currently a bug in current version, resulting in xml reading error. I just fixed it on my machine, and it works fine, will upload it shortly.

Now, when you have this rig.txt file you'll only use it during export process. From what I see you managed to imported model and skeleton rig properly.

As for importing animations that's another process. MaikCG should have more input on it, actually, I never really figured all the details of animation import out myself. To be able to convert animation into FBX you'll need skeleton.hkx for your character converted into x32, and I don't think that preset for converting it is included with F4AK as of now. I don't even have it myself.

I shot him a message to please check out this thread, thanks. If you could somehow get his attention I'd appreciate it, too!

• 4 weeks later...

Did you ever upload the fixed version?

• 2 months later...

I think I did? I'm not sure. Is the latest available version on nexus broken? Or here on loverslab? It's possible that I only updated it in one place. Or totally forgot :D Just tell me if I did, and Ill make sure to fix it. Sorry for delay and all, RL stuff takes us all

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, what's currently stopping us from adding custom skeletons? I asked in general discussion and was directed to ask here.

I'll post a tidbit from my post:

"What's missing? It seems like the BGS Exporter tools should be able to export a custom skeleton (I haven't figured out how to get ragdoll data to 'stick' to bones on export with PE Skeleton, although I have BSBound figured out. which is used for general hitbox detection iirc.) and in retail skeleton nif files they don't require any external Havok information (otherwise you would see it in BSED).

ANY information would be useful, thanks!"

Currently I have pretty much everything else done (havok behavior graph dog shit, actual rigging, etc) it's just a matter of 'sticking' the havok data onto the skeleton.nif, so if anyone has a proper direction to point to for that it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Hey there, what's currently stopping us from adding custom skeletons? I asked in general discussion and was directed to ask here.

I'll post a tidbit from my post:

"What's missing? It seems like the BGS Exporter tools should be able to export a custom skeleton (I haven't figured out how to get ragdoll data to 'stick' to bones on export with PE Skeleton, although I have BSBound figured out. which is used for general hitbox detection iirc.) and in retail skeleton nif files they don't require any external Havok information (otherwise you would see it in BSED).

ANY information would be useful, thanks!"

Currently I have pretty much everything else done (havok behavior graph dog shit, actual rigging, etc) it's just a matter of 'sticking' the havok data onto the skeleton.nif, so if anyone has a proper direction to point to for that it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Creating NEW skeletons might be easier than editing existing ones without breaking them.

From the information I have right now, editing existing skeletons is possible with NifSkope and further manual hand-editing (in Notepad) of skeleton.hkx file coverted into .xml (using DexesTTP's tools).

If you have time, it would be great if you could work out how to edit existing skeletons and how to create new ones from scratch, and describe it in a form of a manual. I will make sure to add it to F4AK, and add you as contributor to project credits.

Check the level of detail and language in F4AK and try to stick with it. I will correct everything, and format it properly, of course, before adding it to the guide.

It would be a huge contribution. If you do this, don't forget to first test it, to see if it really works, preferably without bugs :)

• 1 month later...

I think I did? I'm not sure. Is the latest available version on nexus broken? Or here on loverslab? It's possible that I only updated it in one place. Or totally forgot :D Just tell me if I did, and Ill make sure to fix it. Sorry for delay and all, RL stuff takes us all

Sorry to reply so late, I was out of country.

Yeah, Nexus one is still borked after downloading latest version.

Getting crashes on launching the program but the tool works fine, not a big deal.

Has anyone used this to create better 3rd person equip/ un-equip animations? Would be nice to have an animation where the character actually puts the pistol in a holster or reaches behind to place a weapon on the back. Would be a great addition to visible/ holsterd weapons. 

Sorry to reply so late, I was out of country.

Yeah, Nexus one is still borked after downloading latest version.

Getting crashes on launching the program but the tool works fine, not a big deal.

Oh, if you mean that there's an error during it's startup, it's Python build error. You can install python on your PC and launch the .py version of the script, no errors there. I don't know where that error comes from, so far seems random to me (probably not), but I'm to lazy to fix it, since the tool itself works and there's .py version available as well. ^^ Just because it's a cosmetic fix, but it would take considerable amount of time for me to do.

I would not call it 'crash', crash is when program shuts down. 

So, if it works, then just ignore the error message, or use .py version. 

If I did not get it right, and it's unusable, however, then tell me, and I'll fix it.

• 4 months later...

I am trying to export an animation using the kit. But, something doesn't appear to be working.

Here is the output from havok:

========== Started: Thu Dec 07 15:58:11 2017, Configuration: AnimationExport3rdPerson ==========
 Align Scene To Node Filter 
    Successfully aligned node: Root
 Create Skeletons Filter 
    [0xabba911c] Warning : Filter not supported by current product selection
    [0xabba89d9] Warning : Bone Root has no bind pose. All bones in the skeleton will use their first keyframe as their bind pose.
    Root Node Name:Root
    Num Bones: 95
 Create Animations Filter 
     Animation 
        Length: 16.666666
        Frames: 2
        Annotation: absent
 Extract Motion Filter 
    Motion extracted using -1 samples
 Spline Compression Filter 
     Compression 
        Number of blocks: 1
        Size of largest block (PlayStation(R)3 SPU): 1696 bytes.
        Original Size: 9208 bytes. Compressed Size: 1684 bytes.
        Compression Ratio: 5.467934:1.
 Prune Types Filter 
    Removing hkxEnvironment ("Environment Data")
    Removing hkxScene ("Scene Data")
    Removing Resource Data completely.
    Removing 1 skeletons.
    Removing 0 mesh attachments.
    Removing 1 Transform and 0 Float  identity binding index arrays from 1 bindings(s)
    Removing 0 hkaAnimtionBinding instances associated with hkaQuantizedAnimation instances
    Removing 0 skins.
 Write to Platform Filter 
    [0xabba9833] Warning : Could not create file [..\..\3D\pose.hkx] to write to. Aborting.
========== Finished in 00:00:00, 0 Errors, 6 Warnings ==========

Any ideas on what the problem is?

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone give the steps needed to make a 2 person animation in 3DSMax and/or MotionBuilder (using MaikCG's rig)?

To clarify, not the Bethesda, dual-person animations. But, animate two separate rigs in one file so that its easier to see how everything lines up. Then export to two different animations to be played together in Four Play, etc.

In Skyrim, there was a rig that already had two characters in it. You animated both. Then, deleted one before exporting. Then, revert, delete the other one and export again.

I could go with that process if necessary. But, am not sure how to properly get two character rigs together in one file to start from...