Fallout 4 Animation Modding (for modders and animators)

ToDo Post.

for now this will be a post about plans and further actions about animation research

Oh, I didn't see this part yet. I can probide some infos on that.

☐ Need some modder\coder to test adding NEW animations into the game.

For what it is worth, I added a new idle in the game using the CK a while ago. Here is a link to it.

You can just install the mod with NMM and use the "player.playidle AF4_Test" command to see the animation (I don't remember what it is, but you 'll see it when you play it :P). The actual animation file is added under "actors/character/AF4/", in order to have a path different enough from the usual path to test it properly.

We however WILL have to wait for F4SE to mature in order to have more advanced animation controls, as the animation launcher method was completely remade for Fallout 4 and no longer allows the debug commands used in Skyrim. 

☐ Research possibility of adding custom physics. It looks like it should be easier and without HDT in FO4.

We already did that for a while with Cell a few months ago for the "CBBE physics" beta option, by fiddling with cloth physics and applying to a normal mesh. The conclusion for now is that it works really weirdly for the "base" commands and then I had a problem while decrypting the more advanced commands that I couldn't really solve (and I didn't have time to go back to it yet), so it fell short for now.

The basic gist of it is that there is a node added to the Nif files which actually is a HKX file which describes custom physics to be added to meshes, intended for cloth data physics. But it can be adapted to other... stuff :P If you manage to find a similar option in the 3DsMax Havok stuff, you may be able to emulate that too.

ToDo Post.

for now this will be a post about plans and further actions about animation research

Oh, I didn't see this part yet. I can probide some infos on that.

☐ Need some modder\coder to test adding NEW animations into the game.

For what it is worth, I added a new idle in the game using the CK a while ago. Here is a link to it.

You can just install the mod with NMM and use the "player.playidle AF4_Test" command to see the animation (I don't remember what it is, but you 'll see it when you play it :P). The actual animation file is added under "actors/character/AF4/", in order to have a path different enough from the usual path to test it properly.

We however WILL have to wait for F4SE to mature in order to have more advanced animation controls, as the animation launcher method was completely remade for Fallout 4 and no longer allows the debug commands used in Skyrim. 

☐ Research possibility of adding custom physics. It looks like it should be easier and without HDT in FO4.

We already did that for a while with Cell a few months ago for the "CBBE physics" beta option, by fiddling with cloth physics and applying to a normal mesh. The conclusion for now is that it works really weirdly for the "base" commands and then I had a problem while decrypting the more advanced commands that I couldn't really solve (and I didn't have time to go back to it yet), so it fell short for now.

The basic gist of it is that there is a node added to the Nif files which actually is a HKX file which describes custom physics to be added to meshes, intended for cloth data physics. But it can be adapted to other... stuff :P If you manage to find a similar option in the 3DsMax Havok stuff, you may be able to emulate that too.

What do you mean "IF"? :D Setting it up in max is really just a few button clicks, you can create RBD objects, cloth, constraints between them, etc. Same or almost same workflow as it is for every physics engine, bullet, physx, havok, inside a 3d package. I'm just not sure about how it work on export, but I think it should be straight forward. But that's adding this information from scratch, the true power would come if we could import existing scenes. 

But it's not a priority.

I think I'll go and write a simple tool to automatically generate rig.txt file from skeleton.xml file. Hehe. I'm a lazy ass.

Actually it works on work often too, but managers are usually trying to not tell it out loud.

Just updated github repo with tools. I included a "generate txt..." something button into the HKXPACK UI. and renamed the tool into HKXPACK BASED TOOLS.

Again, it will detect what you're trying to feed it. If it is hkx, it will first convert it into xml, and then extract data from xml and generate txt file at the same location and same name as the original one. If you feed it xml, it will just skip convertion and generte txt file. Yay. 

Though on the second thought I forgot to compile new exe file. oops. Well. will fix it another day

What is the best place to look for a complete cheat-reference for Fallout 4?

I wanna try exporting and animation for, say, deathclaw, and i need godmode (haha :D), spawn deathclaw, and force it to play an animation. Or I can replace walking of course...

I can find it myself, of course, but help can... well, help make it faster :D

Thanks! Though from what I recall, animation name is not the same as it's filename, which is sad. 

That is correct.

playidle requires the name of the Animation Event.

And the Animation Event is associated to the animation file. The two names can be completely different.

In CK you can check what the animation event are.

Pffft, easy-peasy. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCqqAuEBkcc

I think it's official, the process for making animations for all or at least most of existing creatures is known now. All information is in the first post. It was actually there all the time, just adapted a few things now.

The only thing really needed is to:

1. Find all the tools: Max, HCT, niftools + additionally, my hkxpack-based tools

2. Find all the files: character nif file, it's corresponding skeleton.nif and skeleton.hkx files (usually they are all under the same folder\subfolders).

3. Create rig.txt file using the joint names from skeleton.hkx, after converting it to xml. Can be done automatically with my tool, which is on git.

4. Try to load this rig.txt file in HCT for export. It will tell you which joints it can't find. You need to either rename them (sometimes they are in caps. For example WEAPON must be renamed to Weapon). And add some joints if they are not there. Just copy some and place it anywhere, with the right name.

Tadaa.

Damn, I'm already thinking about creating a fatality animation for Deathclaw. Kinky version. It puts PC down and fucks to death :D I guess we'll need to research paired animations for that first.

Nice. Was thinking about doing it myself too. Can I include it into my animation pack? Under your name of course, with credits etc. Just to keep things in once place.

Of couse

Btw.. Fun fact. From the naming of the bones it looks like they used 3ds max CAT for animation. And the fact that every joints orientations in cat match f4 skeletons perfectly. Will rig it with cat today i think.

I hate CAT after dragon age3 :D although it is not bad in itself

Another thing, guys:

I'm thinking about making extending skeleton. Like that xp32 did.

But I need to know what is required in it.

Obviously - butt and breast joints. Maybe tail. Maybe wings. What else?

Also, DexesTTP, CPU and anyone else knowing anything about this - are there any limitations on joint count in Fallout 4? Other than "staying reasonable"? Because I can easily go with adding hundreeds of new joints, adding not just 2 bones for boobs, but like 10, to allow their deformations, etc. 

Hi.

Technically there is no limit on the number of nodes on Havok 2014.

But of course more nodes == more power to handle them.

XPMSE has around 200 nodes. And it works just fine.

A secondary problem on having too many nodes is that it will be a pain to handle them (we do not have NiOverride yet.)

My dream? The toes have at least 4 nodes (Old Tom right, left, all other toes right, and left)

And if you plan for wings also at least 3 or 4 nodes for tails. (so it will be a little bit moving.)

And, if you didn't do yet: Some bones for the vagina (at least two to make it open/close, 2 for anus (same), and probably 3 for the penis. Testicles? Why not. But just one.

I could also add fleshy bones. For bellies for example. Hm...

Well, I'm not sure how exactly to export all that yet. skeleton.nif is probably easy to export, with niftools. skeleton.hkx? Well that will take some time to find right settings.

And also ill need to skin a model and export it to test too... hmm... well, we'll see. getting late in here. 

Well, I'm not sure how exactly to export all that yet. skeleton.nif is probably easy to export, with niftools. skeleton.hkx? Well that will take some time to find right settings.

And also ill need to skin a model and export it to test too... hmm... well, we'll see. getting late in here. 

Take your time. You are already doing an excellent job.

For importing/exporting, I think the best guy to ask is @DexesTTP.

For sure people will wish for Tits, Butt, and Belly.

I could not care less, so I never went too much inside this.

Probably @Expired6978 (Yes, Expired, the RaceMenu and EFF, and NiOverride guy) or have more experience on Breasts.

And remember that the top one is @Groovtama.

You should also keep in mind that there is a 4 bone per vertex limit, that is only 4 bones can affect 1 vertex.

If you go over that limit you will end up with graphical artefacts in game being the most common, as well as other problems (the 5th (lowest) weight not affecting the mesh for instance)

Also if you are going to be messing with the skeleton, for the love of god don't change any of the (vanilla bone) limb length or scale.

That just makes everyone's life hard.

You should also keep in mind that there is a 4 bone per vertex limit, that is only 4 bones can affect 1 vertex.

If you go over that limit you will end up with graphical artefacts in game being the most common, as well as other problems (the 5th (lowest) weight not affecting the mesh for instance)

Also if you are going to be messing with the skeleton, for the love of god don't change any of the (vanilla bone) limb length or scale.

That just makes everyone's life hard.

Coming from actual gamedev environment, I am perfectly aware of everything stated here. 4 bone per vertex is actually a skinning limit, not skeleton\rigging one. So while I may skin a few models, actual worry about it will lie on shoulders of people making and skinning models to this skeleton.

and i'm not going to touch anything vanilla, only adding. And no, not breaking the hierarchy. :)

For sure people will wish for Tits, Butt, and Belly.

I could not care less, so I never went too much inside this.

Penis bones would be nice.

All good then, though the body mesh is is already cluttered with weights thanks to the _skin bones, i doubt we will be able to make any significant changes without getting rid of them (meaning no body morph in game, which might not be such a bad thing..).

Also there is something else, if something will make use of physics, then you don't want them in the .hkx (as it interferes (at least it did in skyrim)) so anything not intended to make use of animations probably don't need to be added to either the skeleton .nif or .hkx as the skeleton data will be in the meshes nif (like all the dress do)

Though, an idea (if its not an animated tail), what if you had a tail nub? a bone that modders (assuming we ever get access to the physics) can attach their tail to (as the static root) and then they can add as many bones (debris (or their own static root)) as they want or need, that way you could also move the node on the skeleton to position all tail mods.

I do have a question that has something to do with animation, though (probably a stupid one) in max the skeleton in the scene, does it have to meet these 3 criteria?

1, Is a bone object

2, Have the correct names (as it is in the rig.txt)

3, Has the same hierarchy (as it is in the skeleton.nif)

Its mostly 3 i'm interested in, does the skeleton.hkx not have the hierarchy, constraints and bone local axis/position in it?

And does an animation.hkx have any of that data or does it get it from the skeleton hkx (kinda like nif's) and all that needs to be in there is bone names and in the right order? Orientation? (and the animation..)

Trying to gauge how much flexibility i would have with the skeleton in the max scene. :unsure:

Guessing that HCT would need it in the right hierarchy to export correctly?

Another thing, guys:

I'm thinking about making extending skeleton. Like that xp32 did.

But I need to know what is required in it.

Obviously - butt and breast joints. Maybe tail. Maybe wings. What else?

Also, DexesTTP, CPU and anyone else knowing anything about this - are there any limitations on joint count in Fallout 4? Other than "staying reasonable"? Because I can easily go with adding hundreeds of new joints, adding not just 2 bones for boobs, but like 10, to allow their deformations, etc. 

If animated NSFW action is the current goal, it seems like a schlong is needed.

In Skyrim, there was a system with separate animation files handling schlongs independently from the body animations. It made it so that, at least as far as I figured out, the schlong couldn't be re-angled, etc. in body animations. For NSFW scenes that was pretty limiting. Some hacks could be done to change angle with script. But, ideally, that would all be done as part of the body animations. Is that possible?

I guess the trouble is that there are many cases where a modder might want to control just the schlong independently regardless of what the character is doing at the moment... Maybe you know some wizardry solution that is the best of both uses..