Is there a way to check in Tes5edit if any mods alters guard / faction?

That way people with problem can figure out the issue and report back here what it was

TES5EDIT would be the way to go or just disable mods until it works remember when doing testing to always start on a new game.

Okay, so I've been having the guard dialogue bug too, so I took your advice and started a new save with only the official DLCs, SkyUI and the latest version of this mod (downloaded today). Started the game and used COC to move straight to the Drunken Huntsman in Whiterun. I waited for the quest-start messages to appear in the top left corner and then started running into people/things to make sure the non-guard dialogue from this mod worked. It did, so far so good. I go outside and sprint into more people, dialogue still works. The moment of truth, I talk to a guard and...

...get nothing but vanilla dialogue after repeated attempts. At this stage I'm pretty confident the guard bug isn't a mod conflict, which means that, as far as I know, no one has any ideas left. Guess there will be no guard dialogue for me  :(.

Despite my guards stubbornly refusing to play along, I still think this mod is pretty brilliant. It's a perfect addition to my sexlab playthroughs and really helps sell the atmosphere, and I really appreciate the time you've put into it.

I am not a %100 but talking to them directly should still give the vanilla dialogue, I dont' think thats what this mod does.

Well, I suppose it's possible I misunderstood the way guard dialogue works. That being said, other NPCs occasionally say the mods lines when I initiate conversation, so I think it would be strange for guards to be an exception. Unless that's a bug too? Looking back, the mod description doesn't specify what "encounter" means.

Edit: Something I left out from my first post was that while testing to see if the mod version worked on the new save I talked to Ysolda a bunch of times to see if she would say something from this mod. This was me just hitting "E", seeing what she would say, exiting the conversation and hitting "E" again to try and get her to say something different. She did eventually cycle through to a comment from this mod, which was consistent with what happened when I was playing with previous versions on old saves, so I took this as confirmation things were working fine, rather than as a bug. If people aren't supposed to give comments at the start of dialogue then... I don't know, my game might be more broken than I thought :dodgy: . Could someone clarify if this is correct behavior?

I am not a %100 but talking to them directly should still give the vanilla dialogue, I dont' think thats what this mod does.

Well, I suppose it's possible I misunderstood the way guard dialogue works. That being said, other NPCs occasionally say the mods lines when I initiate conversation, so I think it would be strange for guards to be an exception. Unless that's a bug too? Looking back, the mod description doesn't specify what "encounter" means.

Edit: Something I left out from my first post was that while testing to see if the mod version worked on the new save I talked to Ysolda a bunch of times to see if she would say something from this mod. This was me just hitting "E", seeing what she would say, exiting the conversation and hitting "E" again to try and get her to say something different. She did eventually cycle through to a comment from this mod, which was consistent with what happened when I was playing with previous versions on old saves, so I took this as confirmation things were working fine, rather than as a bug. If people aren't supposed to give comments at the start of dialogue then... I don't know, my game might be more broken than I thought :dodgy: . Could someone clarify if this is correct behavior?

I'm pretty sure they will say lines if you try to talk to them as the dialogue is in their "hello" section. Usually if you try and talk to a guard they won't actually initiate dialogue (i.e. when the dialogue window opens) and you can just keep hitting E to get them to cycle through dialogue faster.

Thanks for trying a new game without any mods, it does point to something else going weird....

i've got one more idea to try before I give up....

-------

UPDATE 1

I have at least been able to replicate the non speaking guards by removing all my mods and starting a fresh new game. How weird is that?

-------

UPDATE 2

Ok, think I might have fixed it...at least it is now working on my totally vanilla install of Skyrim.

For some reason I could not add to the pool of HELLO comments via a new quest. This seems to only effect guards and only effect there HELLO comments. Other comments such as IDLE etc work and HELLO comments work for other NPCs (i.e. followers).

In the end I simply moved my new comments in to the base Skyrim "DialogueGuardsGeneral" quest. This is less than ideal as I have now altered a core Skyrim quest which means it may interfere with other mods. The other downside is that you can no longer turn off guard comments completely, their HELLO comments are always active (although I'd imagine they are the whole reason you are using this mod :) )

Still, v0.75 should hopefully fix your silent guards :)

I'm pretty sure they will say lines if you try to talk to them as the dialogue is in their "hello" section. Usually if you try and talk to a guard they won't actually initiate dialogue (i.e. when the dialogue window opens) and you can just keep hitting E to get them to cycle through dialogue faster.

Thanks for trying a new game without any mods, it does point to something else going weird....

i've got one more idea to try before I give up....

-------

UPDATE 1

I have at least been able to replicate the non speaking guards by removing all my mods and starting a fresh new game. How weird is that?

-------

UPDATE 2

Ok, think I might have fixed it...at least it is now working on my totally vanilla install of Skyrim.

For some reason I could not add to the pool of HELLO comments via a new quest. This seems to only effect guards and only effect there HELLO comments. Other comments such as IDLE etc work and HELLO comments work for other NPCs (i.e. followers).

In the end I simply moved my new comments in to the base Skyrim "DialogueGuardsGeneral" quest. This is less than ideal as I have now altered a core Skyrim quest which means it may interfere with other mods. The other downside is that you can no longer turn off guard comments completely, their HELLO comments are always active (although I'd imagine they are the whole reason you are using this mod :) )

Still, v0.75 should hopefully fix your silent guards :)

Yeah, considering how long I've been wanting to get guard dialogue to show up at all, being able to turn them off isn't much of a priority :P.

​Also, can confirm that ​v0.75 fixed the problem both on a brand new vanilla save and an old heavily modded save, the latter of which previously suffered from the bug.

I would have a question about the mod, in the future have you the intention to make a quest or just stay in the comments?. 

I will be adding events to the dialogues so some NPCs might carry out their threat rather than just talking about it :) Initially this will be focused on followers as they have loads of dialogue that imply something should actually happen.

You'll be able to switch the events on and off for those who only want comments.

​Also, can confirm that ​v0.75 fixed the problem both on a brand new vanilla save and an old heavily modded save, the latter of which previously suffered from the bug.Yeah, considering how long I've been wanting to get guard dialogue to show up at all, being able to turn them off isn't much of a priority :P.

Hurrah! Huzzah, and indeed yay! :)

Thx for the fix MixedupJim

We can enjoy the guard dialogues now too :)

Took a bit of work that one, but at least it seems to be working. I did a quick test with all my mods enabled and it all seemed to work so things look good :)

Okay, so I did some more experimenting, and your guess seems to have been right on the money MixedupJim; having Guard Dialogue Overhaul installed fixes the bug on v0.72.

Ha, lucky I had that installed otherwise I might have given up trying to get it to work, seeing as the guards were the 1st dialogues I did, and this mod might never have happened!

Okay, so I did some more experimenting, and your guess seems to have been right on the money MixedupJim; having Guard Dialogue Overhaul installed fixes the bug on v0.72.

Ha, lucky I had that installed otherwise I might have given up trying to get it to work, seeing as the guards were the 1st dialogues I did, and this mod might never have happened!

So now that we know what the issue was, I am curious, why people had to have Guard Dialogue Overhaul installed, for guard dialogues from this mod to work? I didn't had it, so it obviously didn't work for me as we know (Don't get confused btw, now it definitely does) :D

So now that we know what the issue was, I am curious, why people had to have Guard Dialogue Overhaul installed, for guard dialogues from this mod to work? I didn't had it, so it obviously didn't work for me as we know (Don't get confused btw, now it definitely does) :D

Not really sure, I guess they fixed something in that mod that wasn't allowing multiple quests to add guard HELLO dialogue. I know that mod fixes a few things and reinstates "lost" dialogue so I'm putting it down to that :)

Noticed a few kind of quirky things since updating to the latest version: Hulda started doing guard dialogs, and a random wench from Immersive Wenches gave me follower dialog.

Yeah, 1 or two issue just to sort out. Should have them fixed in the next version.

I have a suggestion for this. You could make an MCM menu where we can enable/disable comments for each type of npc. A way to tailor the mod to personal taste.

I have a suggestion for this. You could make an MCM menu where we can enable/disable comments for each type of npc. A way to tailor the mod to personal taste.

Pretty sure that already exists. The only exception is you apparently can't turn off guard dialogue in v0.75, the other lines should be toggleable.

@mixedupjim, I noticed that your option highlight text in your MCM has a little problem. Specifically, your options for guards, bandits, and beggars/drunks all use the "sexistGuardDialogueOID_B" variable, which means only the first will actually show up in the MCM. Similarly, NPC, Follower, Knock-over, and Bump all use "sexistNPCDialogueOID_B"

Also, you can allow for turning off guard dialogue in the vanilla quest by using a global or vmquestvariable instead of starting/stopping the quest. That's how I did everything in Reward Your Followers, for example.

You just create a global variable, then add a dialogue condition to your hello comments that checks the status of the global. In your MCM, the toggle option sets the global between 0 and 1 or something.

I'm still baffled about why the guard dialogue in a separate quest would be having trouble. Skyrim being Skyrim again.

EDIT: The DialogueGuardsGeneral quest is using the GetIsVoiceType check and checking the GuardVoiceTypes form list... which is exactly what yours is also doing. It's also disallowing for the presence of the CWSoldierNoGuardDialogue faction and yours is not, but if anything leaving that out will make it more likely to get Sexist Guard dialogue with your quest.

Priority = 31 on DialogueGuardsGeneral and 0 on _SexistGuardsDiaglogue maybe?

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

There is an MCM to turn turn chunks of the mod off (but not in the Devious Device one yet)...so if you do not want "Knock Over" comments then you can turn it off. However, if you mean that you want to turn knock off comments for a specific NPC then that you can't do as you'd have to have a check box for every single NPC in the game!

@mixedupjim, I noticed that your option highlight text in your MCM has a little problem. Specifically, your options for guards, bandits, and beggars/drunks all use the "sexistGuardDialogueOID_B" variable, which means only the first will actually show up in the MCM. Similarly, NPC, Follower, Knock-over, and Bump all use "sexistNPCDialogueOID_B"

Also, you can allow for turning off guard dialogue in the vanilla quest by using a global or vmquestvariable instead of starting/stopping the quest. That's how I did everything in Reward Your Followers, for example.

You just create a global variable, then add a dialogue condition to your hello comments that checks the status of the global. In your MCM, the toggle option sets the global between 0 and 1 or something.

I'm still baffled about why the guard dialogue in a separate quest would be having trouble. Skyrim being Skyrim again.

EDIT: The DialogueGuardsGeneral quest is using the GetIsVoiceType check and checking the GuardVoiceTypes form list... which is exactly what yours is also doing. It's also disallowing for the presence of the CWSoldierNoGuardDialogue faction and yours is not, but if anything leaving that out will make it more likely to get Sexist Guard dialogue with your quest.

Priority = 31 on DialogueGuardsGeneral and 0 on _SexistGuardsDiaglogue maybe?

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

I spent ages trying various different things to get them to speak. The weird thing was it only effected HELLO comments. IDLE comments for guards worked just fine so I knew the conditions I was using were correct. Just one of Skyrim's little qwerks! :)

I did think about using a global variable to turn comments on and off but I didn't want to add another thing for Skyrim to track, although I appreciate the overhead is very low. In the end, you are using the mod to get Sexist Guard Comments so why would you turn it off :)

Thanks for spotting the MCM problems....will fix that in the next version. :)

MixedupJim thank you for this mod! Sexlab Stories and Sexist Derogatory Guards are up there in my favorites. Simple mods, yet they make Skyrim so immersive when played along all the other Sexlab Mods. Great job and please continue making it better!

Thanks for your kind feedback, always nice to know that other people are enjoying the mod.

Playing with this mod for a while now and it is great just hope you fix the follower lines spoken by everyone else bug soon.

The ones I know about should be fixed in the latest version. If any others happen then please post who the NPC was and what they said e.g. Belethor spoke some guard dialogue when I was in his shop

That will help me track down any incorrectly assigned dialogue. :)

Playing with this mod for a while now and it is great just hope you fix the follower lines spoken by everyone else bug soon.

The ones I know about should be fixed in the latest version. If any others happen then please post who the NPC was and what they said e.g. Belethor spoke some guard dialogue when I was in his shop

That will help me track down any incorrectly assigned dialogue. :)

Hulda said some guard dialog, wandering around the marketplace in Whiterun.