Wasteland Workshop trailer discussion

Well... Fallout Shelter has microtransactions :P

I said bad ones. The ones in Fallout Shelter are fine since A: The game itself is free, B: The game doesn't force you to buy them, and C: You can win the items for free on your own by completing tasks in Fallout Shelter, though random chance for a Mr. Handy, but still possible.

But without exaggerating, the two DLCs so far have been disappointing

Disappointing? We got an amazing robot building system, The Mechanist in all of his glory, new enemies, new weapons, new armor, an Arena system, new workshop items that has A LOT MORE snapping points than the original stuffs, new workshop items that makes everything easier, etc... I don't know how that sort of stuff is disappointing... I'm having fun hosting "Robot Warz - The Fallout Edition" in my game.

In before "Horse Armor".

Horse Armor was Bethesda's only truly awful DLC, it wasn't a microtransaction though.

Disappointing?

Yes, after having substansial story DLCs in previous games with new stuff and features like these two included.

Like i mentioned in the other thread, the continuing dumbing down, drop in quality and whoring to popular fads i did expect, but it is disappointing to see them go back to selling "Official mods" too.

Disappointing?

Yes, after having substansial story DLCs in previous games with new stuff and features like these two included.

Like i mentioned in the other thread, the continuing dumbing down, drop in quality and whoring to popular fads i did expect, but it is disappointing to see them go back to selling "Official mods" too.

Firstly, Wasteland Workshop wasn't meant to be a story DLC. It's a small 4.99 after-all. As for Automatron... It has a good story to it. Better than Zeta and Anchorage by far. Plus, Automatron adds in A LOT MORE CONTENT to the base-game than Zeta, Anchorage, Dead Money, and The Pitt has ever done... Dead Money and The Pitt has better stories and quests for sure but not better content.

Bethesda isn't really dumbing down anything. They are just paying more attention to the overall content and possible enjoyment of the game, instead of just making another short story DLC which you will do in a few hours and then kinda shrug it off. (Even if you did enjoy and love the story/DLC, once you're done with it... You're done with it and you continue playing in the main game. Automatron doesn't get "done". It stays around in the main game).

And yes, Automatron has added more items and features than any of the above mentioned DLCs... Pitt, for example, what new stuff do you get from that? Some new special items, an axe, and an ammo press. The ammo press though, you have to go back though to use. So really, who used that ammo press on a regular basis?

Oh, and the whole "mods can do it" ordeal is annoying. Yes, the player fanbase can do a lot. We know this. Hell, their is a group of fans making a full blown Fallout Equestria game from scratch... So we already know that modders can do anything that Bethesda can do. It's just generally nicer and more helpful if Bethesda does it themselves because A: Everybody can get it ASAP and B: It helps a lot of the weaker modders who wouldn't be able to do modding without a base of something to work off of.

Bethesda isn't really dumbing down anything. They are just paying more attention to the overall content and possible enjoyment of the game, instead of just making another short story DLC which you will do in a few hours and then kinda shrug it off. (Even if you did enjoy and love the story/DLC, once you're done with it... You're done with it and you continue playing in the main game. Automatron doesn't get "done". It stays around in the main game).

It all seems a bit "give us more money and we will let you paint your hamster wheel in these exciting new colours", to be honest. How many new robots can you make before it all starts getting a bit old, anyway?

Let's face it, you're talking about a minor addition to the crafting system. Not an unwelcome one, admittedly, but I'm not sure it adds the sort of value you seem to imply when you compare it with The Pitt.

It all seems a bit "give us more money and we will let you paint your hamster wheel in these exciting new colours", to be honest. How many new robots can you make before it all starts getting a bit old, anyway?

Let's face it, you're talking about a minor addition to the crafting system. Not an unwelcome one, admittedly, but I'm not sure it adds the sort of value you seem to imply when you compare it with The Pitt.

The Pitt adds a story which you play through in about 5 hours (and when I say play through, I'm talking about playing the DLC twice to check out both paths) and that's about it... You get some unique gear (this gear is craft-able in the base-game of Fallout 4), an auto-axe, and an ammo press. Most people probably rarely used the ammo press and the auto-axe was cool, at first, but it gets pretty 'eh' eventually and just goes into your storage chest. The only thing that was long-use-able in the DLC was the Infiltrator gun, due to it being a 5.56mm silenced rifle.

Automatron has at least one completely unique weapon which actually has a big use to it (the Tesla Gun), and the ability to build robots is something you can use over time and continue using as you play the game to make robots to use as companions, guards, or provisioners.

The Pitt adds a story which you play through in about 5 hours (and when I say play through, I'm talking about playing the DLC twice to check out both paths) and that's about it...

And an absolutely glorious 3D playpen in the form of the Steelyard. Lots of hidden goodies, lots of places to explore, some thought needed to work out to get to some of them, and tough, sneaky, scary enemies to hunt and be hunted by.

And you accuse me of not exploring properly.

You get some unique gear (this gear is craft-able in the base-game of Fallout 4), an auto-axe, and an ammo press. Most people probably rarely used the ammo press and the auto-axe was cool, at first, but it gets pretty 'eh' eventually and just goes into your storage chest. The only thing that was long-use-able in the DLC was the Infiltrator gun, due to it being a 5.56mm silenced rifle.

Automatron has at least one completely unique weapon which actually has a big use to it (the Tesla Gun), and the ability to build robots is something you can use over time and continue using as you play the game to make robots to use as companions, guards, or provisioners.

So it's got a unique weapon which is something the Pitt didn't have (except for the two that you admit it did have, but which apparently don't count for reasons that aren't terribly clear), as well as a minor addition to the crafting system. It still sounds like hamster wheel paint to me.

And an absolutely glorious 3D playpen in the form of the Steelyard. Lots of hidden goodies, lots of places to explore, some thought needed to work out to get to some of them, and tough, sneaky, scary enemies to hunt and be hunted by.

Indeed. The Steelyard is right up there with Sierra Madre and Lonesome Road in awesome locations.

And you don't disagree with the whoring part, then? :P

The Pitt adds a story which you play through in about 5 hours (and when I say play through, I'm talking about playing the DLC twice to check out both paths) and that's about it... You get some unique gear (this gear is craft-able in the base-game of Fallout 4), an auto-axe, and an ammo press. Most people probably rarely used the ammo press and the auto-axe was cool, at first, but it gets pretty 'eh' eventually and just goes into your storage chest. The only thing that was long-use-able in the DLC was the Infiltrator gun, due to it being a 5.56mm silenced rifle.

You forgot about the Metal Blaster, which was stupidly powerful with critz.  Made for a nice high lvl alternative to the plasma rifle for energy weapon users.

You forgot about the Metal Blaster, which was stupidly powerful with critz.  Made for a nice high lvl alternative to the plasma rifle for energy weapon users.

The Metal Blaster is just a more powerful version of the basic Laser Rifle is the thing, so it isn't really a new weapon... Just an unique version of a base-game weapon. Which, I did mention that The Pitt has some unique gear. I consider "new weapons" and "new uniques" as two different categories. New weapons being actual new weapons. The Auto-Saw, for example, is a new melee weapon. There is nothing like it in the base-game.

I wouldn't say a lot but I do agree. I never said anything bad about the Pitt's area at all. At least about the area... The enemies were easy in The Pitt. Hell, I usually start attacking the Slavers right away and kill most of them before even advancing in the quest for a good variety of gear... Because they are low level. The Pitt was made to be a low level DLC, and due to the massive amount of content in the base game... I am usually at a high level when I get to the DLCs.

However, the Steelyard was nice to explore. Just like in any area that Bethesda does, including the areas in Automatron... So, I don't really see what you're trying to get at here.

So it's got a unique weapon which is something the Pitt didn't have (except for the two that you admit it did have, but which apparently don't count for reasons that aren't terribly clear), as well as a minor addition to the crafting system. It still sounds like hamster wheel paint to me.

There is new weapons/armor, and then there are new uniques. As I said, differences between the two when. The Metal Blaster, Inf. 5.56mm rifle, and more from The Pitt are unique versions of base-game guns, not brand new weapons like the Auto-Axe was. I think you might've misread me here.

Also, the robot workbench might be minor to you but not to everybody, and to me... It adds a lot to the crafting system as a whole because it is an entire workbench with A LOT of possibilities on it's own. If I really want to, I can create an Assaultron on a Mr. Handy Thruster or do a crazy combination of a Protectron, Mr. Handy, Assaultron, and Sentry Bot...

That is more than just "wheel paint", as you put it.

Whatever the case, the rest of DLCs have to include two Shivering Isles to justify the season pass costing as much as the game.

Well, i'm not unreasonable, 1.5 Shivering Isles.

Rumor has it that the price got bumped so high is because the last dlc is the multiplayer dlc. If you check CK there are scripts and blank stuff regarding multiplayer but judging from todd's interview maybe thats the files they said about testing out multiplayer but canned it. They are known for leaving stuff out. Like dual hand casting and dual wielding flags in CK beta.

Testing out multiplayer? Well, that's it then, these guys have totally sold out.

Well, it was fun while it lasted ^_^

I'm gonna go buy Tides of Nume... whatever it was early access and put some money into Divinity: Original Sin 2 kickstarter now :P

Testing out multiplayer? Well, that's it then, these guys have totally sold out.

I'm gonna go buy Tides of Nume... whatever it was early access and put some money into Divinity: Original Sin 2 kickstarter now :P

That was way back before fallout 4 was even announced. They decided to can it but some traces were left like skyrim's CK.

I wouldn't say a lot but I do agree. I never said anything bad about the Pitt's area at all. At least about the area... The enemies were easy in The Pitt. Hell, I usually start attacking the Slavers right away and kill most of them before even advancing in the quest for a good variety of gear... Because they are low level. The Pitt was made to be a low level DLC, and due to the massive amount of content in the base game... I am usually at a high level when I get to the DLCs.

However, the Steelyard was nice to explore. Just like in any area that Bethesda does, including the areas in Automatron... So, I don't really see what you're trying to get at here.

There is new weapons/armor, and then there are new uniques. As I said, differences between the two when. The Metal Blaster, Inf. 5.56mm rifle, and more from The Pitt are unique versions of base-game guns, not brand new weapons like the Auto-Axe was. I think you might've misread me here.

Also, the robot workbench might be minor to you but not to everybody, and to me... It adds a lot to the crafting system as a whole because it is an entire workbench with A LOT of possibilities on it's own. If I really want to, I can create an Assaultron on a Mr. Handy Thruster or do a crazy combination of a Protectron, Mr. Handy, Assaultron, and Sentry Bot...

That is more than just "wheel paint", as you put it.

Imo the Automatron dlc is just no match for DLC's like The Pitt, Point Lookout, Lonesome Road and basically every dlc that adds a new explorable area. To each their own of course, but for me those dlc are far superior to Automatron in every way (except Anchorage). 

There is simply more meat in it, more content. After I complete the main quest there's still a whole lot of things I can do. With automatron, after the mainquest, there is nothing else to do. All I can do is build robots to guard settlements that never get attacked anyway. 

Automatron should've taken place in a new area, maybe some old factory district just outside the commonwealth. There should've been a bunch of sidequests, a bunch of places to explore that aren't related to the main quest, more new gear and a longer questline. Just like it's predecessors that were sold for the same price. 

It does get a bit easy if you go in at too high a level, I'll grant.

So, I don't really see what you're trying to get at here.

You never said anything bad about the Pitt's area - or anything good about it, either. Your analysis reduced The Pitt to a quest that you did twice in five hours (just to be sure) and a couple of weapons that you didn't much like. So I suppose my point is that if you did the Pitt in 150 minutes a run, you probably didn't give the Steelyard the attention it deserves. I mean I expect it can be done that fast if you're speedrunning and have a list of locations to clear, but you didn't mention it at all.

Now: I still haven't played Automatron yet, so I'll rely on your honesty here, but: is there any area of similar complexity in Automatron?

I'll grant that there are a couple of places in the base game that are similar: Sargrus and Corvega superstructures are thematically similar, but don't have the Steelyard's depth of detail. The Fallen Skyway section of Boston comes much closer ... but none of those are in Automatron and so don't really have a bearing on the value of the DLC as compared to a DLC that did add such an area.

Well, I hope I clarified that a little above.

To be honest, a weapon supplied by a DLC is a weapon supplied by a DLC. There's not a a lot of difference whether it's unique to that module, or unique to the game after the module has been loaded. Certainly not in F3. In F4 you can add the non-unique DLC weapons to your settlers I suppose, but is it really fair to mark the Pitt down for not supporting a feature that wasn't provided by the base game?

You don't mean ... you think there might be a strongly subjective element to these evaluations?

There's hope for you yet! :)

You don't mean ... you think there might be a strongly subjective element to these evaluations?

We're all just saying our subjective opinions, technically speaking. No one is really right or wrong in the world of art... Though, that is technically speaking. I do have a strong belief that the world of art does literally have facts inside of it. They are just much harder to agree on than scientific facts. So, it is the viewers' duty (especially the critical ones whom does this kind of stuff normally) to discuss about the art world, pinpointing their own opinions of flaws and greatness in the world of art, in order to help the creators know these and possibly make a better piece of art next time.

Which is why I can get very serious with games I (at least) generally enjoy playing. If I want the next game to be better, I gotta make sure that my own words are heard and spread to other people, and hopefully enough talk will happen to catch some heads... Or, in some cases, speak to the original creator(s) themselves, which does happens for me sometimes.

But deep down, I still know that everything is subjective. We all have different views and opinions on everything, and look at things differently which is actually good. The more different critics, the better. Since, ya know, different critics can find different problems or greatness in artwork that the others might've missed.

That was way back before fallout 4 was even announced. They decided to can it but some traces were left like skyrim's CK.

In Skyrim already? Well, then i wouldn't be surprised if the rumor turns out to be true for F4, though i still doubt it.

Guest Mogie56

Why would anyone compare "The Pitt" to Automatron? it's like comparing filet mignon to beef jerky. Automatron isn't about adding a location (but using one that already exists and does nothing much without the DLC). merely the ability/framework to build robots with a bit of story to go along with it, Wasteland workshop is adding the ability/framework to have Arena style events, much like the arena event with Cait only on a larger scale and you decide what and who fights . with all the "50 deathclaws vs 300 BOS" etc. videos (which are in the hundreds) I can see why they did the DLC.

I guess many really don't like change, they want hella graphics but on an OLD game like NV etc. Why even bother, just play NV and forget about anything new. It's not like there are going to be a shit ton of mods that are going to be lore friendly, immersive etc. when the majority of mods already available are skimpy big tit jumbo ass bodies and armor/clothing mods. and many of the planed mods (or at least ideas for mod) are all about sex and dildo infested power armors which has nothing to do with the fallout universe.  

In Skyrim already? Well, then i wouldn't be surprised if the rumor turns out to be true for F4, though i still doubt it.

They basically said about the same thing in skyrim, but right after E3 2015. Todd said they basically test out multiplayer in any of their games just to see if it would work. Canned in Skyrim, canned again by Fallout 4. But the person who leaked the info about FO4's final dlc being a multiplayer feature was leaked by the same person who leaked fo4's dialouge script way back 2014.

We all know and even major sites confirmed its a fake and hoax, but look how it turned out all of the leak info was true and thats 2014, alot went into covering it up making everyone believe its a hoax.

Honestly me, I'm super fine with Multiplayer add-on like locally or lan, 2 players survival beta difficulty , no vats and lots of stuff to balance the game, would be fun.

Hey, Dawnguard and Dragonborn were worth the money. Too bad they chose to model F4's DLCs after Mortgage, or as i see it, "Unofficial Patch tax" :P

Hmm, i wonder if there's a mod that removes all it's features while still have the master for mods support?

All DLCs are cash grab shit. Some are well done and interesting, most are useless.

The Shivering Isles was great and well worth the money imo

Same goes for Lonesome Road and Old World Blues.

For those like you: some (cash grab DLCs) are well done and interesting. It won't unmake 'em cash grab. We must beware of bad dlcs and literal shit like WW, GunRunners Arsenal or infamous Horse Armour. You know, stuff must be added through free patch.

Archived