Okay. I'm going to crush this quest dialog problem once and for all. By this weekend, I promise it'll work for anyone. I don't know what's wrong exactly, whether it's just the seq file, something to do with aliases, or... who knows. But I'll do my research, learn what's causing it and crush it.

Super aggravating when I don't have the same problem, because I can't tell when it's fixed. Thanks for being patient.

Edit: (mostly a note to self) I'll likely try starting the dialog via a forcegreet, too. it makes more sense if you can't sneak up on the warden, and she intercepts you upon descending the stairs... I'll make sure to force subtitles, and re-export an SEQ file via TESVedit rather than steam. Oh, and recompile all papyrus scripts in quest data.

I believe I've genuinely slayed the dragon here. The force greet shouldn't be activating at stage 10, but it only happens once and she's not too much of a pest.

Now I can get back to building quests and rooms!

Could very well require a new save.

have testet the new version in an old and a new save, both times quest not working only nonstop forcegreets from the warden. no journal entry

i play with alternate start, so i have make short the new character have taken one of the startoptions, have got with console all travelpositions, travel to riverwood, run to the door, took both papers after reeding them, go through the door, walked down near the warden, got forcegreet nontstop (conversation end after talking through the options and start again after 1-2 sec) last talk options was to think about or to let the warden choose the job.

It's weird that the door opens to a rock, and it's still extremely dark in certain places.

Oh and one other small issue, the Warden is gone and the quest still doesn't start, lol. At this point I feel like it might be something I'm doing or not doing? Are you sure there's not something else this mod requires? I mean it seems to be working fine for some of you guys.

It's weird that the door opens to a rock, and it's still extremely dark in certain places.

Oh and one other small issue, the Warden is gone and the quest still doesn't start, lol. At this point I feel like it might be something I'm doing or not doing? Are you sure there's not something else this mod requires? I mean it seems to be working fine for some of you guys.

The warden can wander a little. She also likes to sit at her desk.

There are zero requirements besides skyrim.esm.

I hope the mod is working for some people.

have testet the new version in an old and a new save, both times quest not working only nonstop forcegreets from the warden. no journal entry

i play with alternate start, so i have make short the new character have taken one of the startoptions, have got with console all travelpositions, travel to riverwood, run to the door, took both papers after reeding them, go through the door, walked down near the warden, got forcegreet nontstop (conversation end after talking through the options and start again after 1-2 sec) last talk options was to think about or to let the warden choose the job.

If you're getting dialog AT ALL, then that's a good sign...

So, you should have two dialog options. She says something like:

"we don't get many visitors"

followed by the player getting to choose between "I found a flyer and want to work" or "I found a flyer and have some questions."

If you select the work dialog tree, you can either enthusiastically accept or say you need more time. If you need more time, she will forcegreet you again since the stage hasn't advanced.

If you accept work, the stage will advance to 10. After it advances to 10, she'll greet you one more time to say "This is the end of the dialog tree."

if you close out of the dialog, or if you say you want to look around, she'll stop forcegreeting you.

This is of course a shabby setup that i'll fix soon, but it shouldn't be endless forcegreets if you go through the dialog tree.

Edit: the dialog tree has been pruned in 0.47. She will only forcegreet once, unless the quest is reset by the player.

Got some help today--thanks grayspammer--it turns out the biggest problem was that I hadn't included any of my scripts in the archive. I had my meshes, I had my textures, I had the ESP, but all the scripts and papyrus fragments that controlled quest stages and actor behavior were totally missing.

I feel like an idiot. Of COURSE it worked for me, the creation kit plopped those down into my skyrim folder, and I assumed they were rolled up into the ESP, or something. But in my defense, this is my first mod.

On that note, while the single crippling issue has come to light, there are other problems with the... architecture of my mod that need to get addressed sooner rather than later, so creating new content will have to go on hold for a bit while I start with a solid foundation.

While what I'm doing now is good enough for minor encounters, the reliability will decline in inverse proportion to the complexity of my mod.

To be clear--this doesn't affect the cell I've built, just dialog and actor behavior, which there isn't much of yet. SO. Off to fix that. There won't be anything new for 1-2 weeks I expect.

0.48 here.

There are two postings outside, one on the door and one on the floor. Also once you make your quest actually appear in the log you'll have to decide on how exactly you want to start it, instead of it being "silent".

Warden is there and force greets me, which messes up the dialog tree and only lets me respond with "...", but otherwise proceeds as normal. If I end the conversation and start it up again manually it seems to work fine. Although "..." still shows up at first. Also will she foregreet me every time I enter and force the tree?

Noticed the cell is called "Unknown Location", might want to give it a name in the future.

Mmm... she should only forcegreet once, unless at the end of everything you tell her you want to reset.

It should go like this:

You descend the stairs, she walks up and says "hello, we don't get many visitors" and then you have the choice of answering "I found this flyer and want the job" or "I found the flyer and want to know more."

If you say you want to know more, there's a good deal of dialog options that follow. If you select any definitive, like wanting to take the job or agreeing to be a guinea pig, then it advances to stage 10 and you can ask to reset the dialog, or say you'll just go look around.

If you select an option like "I need some time to think" it will set the quest to stage 5, which has a non-forcegreet way to jump in near the top of the dialog tree.

The postings outside the door north of riverwood don't do anything yet (no quest marker, etc)

Unfortunately, there are a lot of "..." so you just have to click through them for now.

To me she says "hello, we don't get many visitors", then I can only answer "...", but she continues as if my character is actually saying something, all the way until I end. Unless of course I end the tree early and start it again, then it works fine.

EDIT: Hey I'm just happy it finally works now. Hope feature creep doesn't sneak up on you though.

I tried the newest version so far and everything went pretty well. I was force greeted once. Went through the dialog and ended up choosing the I'll just look around part. Vacbeds work good when you click on them. (Meaning descriptive dialog pops up as it should.)

Minor things I noticed.

Follower stayed outside. Not sure if you have it navmeshed, haven't navmeshed it, plan to navmesh it, or don't plan to navmesh it at this point. Might be a cool feature to be able to include followers at some point.

Since you added the book cases by the one cell door, you have to watch where you stand when opening the door or you can get trapped. Not a big issue for player since you can close it and get free, but if there will be an npc operation of it later, I'm sure you know how stupid the AI can be. Might be something to keep in mind.

Stairs. I still have to jump up the stairs. Pretty much every set I get hung on at least once. The stone stairs mostly just at the top, the spiral set, pretty much the whole thing. I know you are aware of the spiral set, but wasn't sure if you knew the stone sets were still a little off.

Question. Is there going to be a point to the pit at the bottom of the spiral stairs? A flat floor or a second set of small steps leading out of it would make it a little easier if not.

Overall it looks pretty good, and I am anxiously awaiting further development!

I tried the newest version so far and everything went pretty well. I was force greeted once. Went through the dialog and ended up choosing the I'll just look around part. Vacbeds work good when you click on them. (Meaning descriptive dialog pops up as it should.)

Minor things I noticed.

Follower stayed outside. Not sure if you have it navmeshed, haven't navmeshed it, plan to navmesh it, or don't plan to navmesh it at this point. Might be a cool feature to be able to include followers at some point.

Since you added the book cases by the one cell door, you have to watch where you stand when opening the door or you can get trapped. Not a big issue for player since you can close it and get free, but if there will be an npc operation of it later, I'm sure you know how stupid the AI can be. Might be something to keep in mind.

Stairs. I still have to jump up the stairs. Pretty much every set I get hung on at least once. The stone stairs mostly just at the top, the spiral set, pretty much the whole thing. I know you are aware of the spiral set, but wasn't sure if you knew the stone sets were still a little off.

Question. Is there going to be a point to the pit at the bottom of the spiral stairs? A flat floor or a second set of small steps leading out of it would make it a little easier if not.

Hmmm... I did autogenerate a navmesh early on, so it's not likely that the upstairs area has one. I'll rework it, though I have to admit I don't really know how they work or what a follower needs from one.

I need to get around to flipping a lot of the doors. Almost all of them open toward the player, which is incredibly annoying. All the furniture for now is kind of a placeholder, too. But I'm debating making it impossible to see anything from the entrance, so the whole entry room will likely get reconfigured.

I am debating having the pit serve a function--right now it's there mostly because that's the depth that the stairs fold down to. Perhaps I will make a fall into the pit something that summons the warden, making getting out possible only by accepting her conditions to help you. And about the spiral stairs, yeah... I can slide them down by 25% each and then they'd probably be walkable. I'll test. I've put it off because it's time consuming to copy and link them to the lever, and set a timer for each one .

Glad everything mostly works now!

Minor things I noticed.

Hmmm... I did autogenerate a navmesh early on, so it's not likely that the upstairs area has one. I'll rework it, though I have to admit I don't really know how they work or what a follower needs from one.

I need to get around to flipping a lot of the doors. Almost all of them open toward the player, which is incredibly annoying. All the furniture for now is kind of a placeholder, too. But I'm debating making it impossible to see anything from the entrance, so the whole entry room will likely get reconfigured.

I am debating having the pit serve a function--right now it's there mostly because that's the depth that the stairs fold down to. Perhaps I will make a fall into the pit something that summons the warden, making getting out possible only by accepting her conditions to help you. And about the spiral stairs, yeah... I can slide them down by 25% each and then they'd probably be walkable. I'll test. I've put it off because it's time consuming to copy and link them to the lever, and set a timer for each one .

Glad everything mostly works now!

I guess navmesh may not have been the correct term. It must be or the warden wouldn't move around. I'm no modder, so that was the first thought that popped into my head, but didn't think about the warden being in there.

The things I mentioned, were just things I noticed. I'm not aware of your future plans so not sure what you have in mind for changing/placeholders etc... I was just relaying how it was working up to this point on a different game set-up.

Good news is nothing is game breaking and it is working as intended! :D

The pit trap idea is a good one. I don't know how hard it would be to implicate. If you decide against it, would it be easier to add a small set of stairs on the other side of the pit to allow you to get out easier yet still give the folding stairs room to fold down? Just a thought.

I remember coming across this mod a while back but didn't realize it had/would get a quest.

Very interesting, I will give this a try soon :)

I mean, there's not too much to it yet--still little more than a show room for the custom meshes, but it will be growing soon. I figured that rather than wait for modders to use these meshes, I could just learn to mod and use them myself.

I remember coming across this mod a while back but didn't realize it had/would get a quest.

Very interesting, I will give this a try soon :)

I mean, there's not too much to it yet--still little more than a show room for the custom meshes, but it will be growing soon. I figured that rather than wait for modders to use these meshes, I could just learn to mod and use them myself.

Excellent idea. Looking forward to see where this mod will go. 

Do you plan for the player to eventually end up in one of these things?  :D

I guess navmesh may not have been the correct term. It must be or the warden wouldn't move around. I'm no modder, so that was the first thought that popped into my head, but didn't think about the warden being in there.

The things I mentioned, were just things I noticed. I'm not aware of your future plans so not sure what you have in mind for changing/placeholders etc... I was just relaying how it was working up to this point on a different game set-up.

Good news is nothing is game breaking and it is working as intended! :D

The pit trap idea is a good one. I don't know how hard it would be to implicate. If you decide against it, would it be easier to add a small set of stairs on the other side of the pit to allow you to get out easier yet still give the folding stairs room to fold down? Just a thought.

It's probably related to the navmesh? I know there isn't one at the entrance to the cell, so maybe that's an issue. Probably easy for me to google and fix.

From what I understand, followers are very tricky to involve in quests, so to handle that later on, I would probably confiscate companions in some way that leaves a lot to the imagination but is technically simple. I like simple.

I'll improve the pit to have real stairs for now, but making a trigger that detects if the player has fallen in, and have that summon the warden would be quite simple. I also plan on making it necessary to ask the warden to activate the staircase to leave... which, early on at least, she would always oblige.

Oh--the other stairs in the cell are just placeholders. I'll probably replace them with stairs from other kits that are more widely used--imperial, dwemer, etc. the kit of parts I started building with are obviously a little flawed.

Excellent idea. Looking forward to see where this mod will go.

Do you plan for the player to eventually end up in one of these things? :D

Absolutely--but the big problem is that I would have to make a new vacbed which is technically clothing. This has been on my to-do list for months, but the idea is getting clearer in my head.

I can't animate yet, so, I have to recycle animations as much as I can, and I know of one or two that could work. From ZAZ, I could use either the x-cross or the rack poses.

The frame could be the same old frame, but the latex sheet would be a modified catsuit where the corners are stretched out into a rectangle matching the size of the frame.

Then, hands and feet can be turned off, (much like they are when using a DDi armbinder) so that they don't conflict with the compressed look, i.e. toes sticking out at a 90 degree angle.

In the long run, I really want to learn how to animate, but it's super confusing and has some really archaic software hurdles... like finding a particular six year old edition of a plugin from a company that was bought by Microsoft and then purged from the internet.