Suggestions for games to stop me going insane.

calranthe

The title may seem a little funny but it isn't, Games are my only outlet from a life that has a combination of problems.

1)Wife is very slowly dying of cancer and the only support I had was my Mom who now has early onset dementia.

2)ADHD + Reactive depression(see point 1)

Gaming keeps me sane, when I am not looking after my wife or trying to help my mum I need games that engage me.

ADHD problem

1)Hyper focusing, if I really do like a game I will burn through know everything about it and discard the husk in short order and once challenge is gone no interest.

2)Switch off, I have 514 games on my steam list, some great others bad most of them I have never finished not because I do not like them it is like I have this todo list in my head and for no reason at all a game or other things will go off the todo list.

Examples:

12 book series in the house I started and love but they went off my todo list

TV series from LOST to NCIS (42 at last count) which I will watch and love and then one day they are gone from my todo list.

MMo's are a bad idea because I usually become so good at them the challenge disappears.

Hell I failed with my weight loss program not because I couldn't do it but I did it too well, 50 pounds in three months went from couch potato to aceing the army Physical tests and then one morning I woke up and actually felt it happen getting into shape was off my todo list.

Some people make the mistake of thinking it is a boredom issue but it isn't, when a subject goes off that todo list it is like all the energy and motivation for that subject is gone and I can fight against it but it is a lost battle usually. 

Bloody annoying I mean I love Witcher 3 but 50 hours into my save game and I stopped playing it months ago and never gets picked up again MGS 5 same 40 hours into it and off my todo list.

Games I complete

Mass effect series

Assassins Creed series

Fallout 4/3/NV

Bioshock 1-3

System Shock 1-2

Dishonoured

I like games with choice and a story emotional involvement or a good sandbox.

Hate platformers or JRPG with real time combat (as in love FF10) 

Any advice is helpfull.

Well, try a Shooter. Counterstrike Global Offensiv for example. In the beginning you probably wont have much fun since your getting killed most of the time and the community is really immature, but after a few weeks after getting better it gets fun. Theres no Story or anything, but when playing Matchmaking (5vs5, premade or Randoms) and having a Mic it can get funny too, or frustrating.

Anyways, my point is: It can be very time consuming and funny if you like it. Also it doesnt throw you into a fantasy world where you can pretend to  live in, but still it lets you forget the day. Suddenly youll be angry for the guy who just killed you or happy after winning a 5vs1.

Archived