[WIP] Slooty Jumpsuit

DixiePig

Looking forward to this.  I hope everything is going well with the final adjustments to get it in game.  I do know people over on the nexus have developed an armorcrafting bench you can use to craft this at.  Probably will only need a compatibility patch or something, but compared to all the work you have done, that should be easy for someone to make.

Judging by its appearance, maybe in game it could be called "Vaultsuit Prototype Slooty." ...or just "Slooty Vaultsuit." just throwin out ideas.

Also, not sure if you plan on doing different colors or not, but I do have a preference for white with blue trim.

245-0-1447913216.png

CURRENT STATUS:

Reposting all my updates here in the reverted forums so I don't lose record of the process.

IfFai1g.jpg

I could use the help of anyone analysing the released Fallout 4 material for feature information.

x8hrT9e.png

So I'm pretty excited about Fallout 4. I'm making a WIP thread to encourage myself to complete this armor. This might be jumping the gun a little, but since I recently created my own body mesh for this thing I thought I might as well put it in Fallout and finally have an in-game body that suits my preferences perfectly.

It's very rough at the moment. At this stage I'm subsurface-modelling the basic forms before sculpting details. Next thing will be creating boots, and buckles on the belts.

7jsNjLH.png

Here are the questions I have for those of you who are closely following Fallout 4:

• We can see that armor pieces are added on top of the base armor, but do we have any examples of armor pieces replacing parts of the base armor? If parts of the base armor can be replaced, that will create far more possibilities for armor piece designs.
  • Can armor pieces be used with any base armor? For example, could we attach a raider chest-piece to the vault 111 jumpsuit? If so, this will have consequences for body mod compatibility and will affect whether I create my own custom body or convert this project to someone else's.
  • Here's a tricky one: Do the character skeletons have knee/elbow/pauldron bones? If you look closely at the power armor in Fallout 3, you'll see that the knee-pad actually shrinks as the leg bends, instead of bending slightly with the leg. This is a quirk of skeleton deformation without a separate knee bone. Has anyone seen any rigid knee-pads shrinking or bending in the trailers?
  • Do we have any evidence of cloth physics?

Thanks for reading. I'd deeply appreciate any help/commentary/criticism. Any feedback is very encouraging. I'll post renders of this as it progresses, and as I create more armor pieces for it.

Edited 10 Novemberby DixiePig

update FP to show current state of the WIP

Update: Combat Boots.

kxi8l4w.png

I was think that thigh-bandolier will be an over-armor piece. Instead of providing more damage resistance, it would have some interesting game-play effect. For example, an NPC wearing it would throw a lot of grenades, forcing you to scramble between cover

or shoot it off them.

This is very interesting to read. I have very little knowledge about .nifs, and I know that skeletons in an optimized real-time context would be different to, say, Blender, but I didn't know it would be that different. In any case, you've answered my question pretty well so thank you.

I love this community. Thanks so much,  It really helps.

Update: Belt detailing.

bCuwrww.png

I've been trying to use parametric modelling where possible, and I'm very pleased with the results I'm getting on belts and zippers. Basically you just model a small segment, then duplicate it along a bezier curve. I'm tempted to try it with stitches on the jumpsuit but probably ought to leave that for the texturing stage.

Next up, sculpting the body suit.

Update: High poly details, fold sculpting.

WUGE1cF.png

I think this is all the highpoly modelling done. Next is retopo.

Thanks so much! Really appreciate it.

On 20/8/2015, 4:07:28, simplerabbit said:

This looks really great! I'd love to rock a sexy vault suit in 3 or 4. default_heart.gif

On 18/8/2015, 12:50:46, kahunabob said:

Oh wow! I'm always amazed at the great stuff all you modders get up to.

This is looking awesome! Looks like it will be both sexy and functional.

Update: Topology.

ZXP6rOl.png

I'm keeping the bandolier separate for the moment so I can place it in a texture map with other matching armor pieces. I estimate the triangle count to be a little under 10 000, about the same as my previous wip here. I will probably add more details later on, such as low poly zippers. Still, the number seems higher than I would prefer. I think that Bethesda are much better at optimising their polycount.

Next up will be UV mapping and baking.

On 17/8/2015, 12:45:46, BruceWayne said:

Looking great.

What program(s) do you use?

You know, if you are finished with the armor before FO4 comes out, we'd welcome any contributions to FNV (or FO3 for that matter). default_tongue.png

All this so far has been done in Blender 2.75. I also tend to use photoshop for texturing but this time I'd like to try texturing in Blender using the node system.

As for releasing it for FO3 and FNV, I hadn't planned to but I would be stupid not to test it in-game somewhere, especially since at this rate I'll be finished well before November 10 (And who knows how long until we'll be able to import meshes. BGS has never been good at supporting that).

The main problem is that I've been building this around my own custom body mesh. FO4, FNV and Skyrim already have established, well-supported body mods and converting this project to those bodies will be a lot of extra work.

Update: UV maps, baking, colors!

eiCsVwb.png

What we see here is a simple blend of ambient occlusion, a lightmap from an overhead lamp, and blocked-out colors, as well as the normal map.

It will be cool to have a vault-boy color palette but ultimately I want to do something a bit different (I was thinking Red-Racer themed).

Next I think will be rigging. In my previous project I messed around with blenders Rigify addon, which is AMAZING. I hope I can at least use it to rig the mesh to BGS skeletons. I'll also probably have to re-proportion the mesh to match the Fallout 4 skeleton, hopefully the change won't be too dramatic.

On 28/8/2015, 7:10:53, BruceWayne said:

Actually there are some tools, which would make this process (relatively) easy. Check out the Clothing converter from Gerra. Though, you'd probably still have to do minor adjustments after the conversion is done and I can't vouch for how long the process takes.

This seems like a pretty good lead to investigate. Thanks! I would prefer on the whole to release clothing models for all the most popular bodies, and this might help a lot.

Update: changed kneepads to be not-lame

JT6uAai.png

Also added matching elbow-pads, you can't really see them from this angle.

It's great to finally have time for this again. Coming back to it I had to squint at it really hard because those kneepads looked like crap. I don't understand how it is that I can do something like that and not realise it sucks. Maybe I needed time away from it?

In any case, changing the high-poly model this much means I need to remake the lowpoly topology, and completely redo the UV maps, baking, texturing, etc. So I think maybe I should change my methodology to just stop and wait for a while after I finish a highpoly model so I can fix it when I've gained some distance, and thereby save myself a lot of work.

So next up will be the new lowpoly topology. After that I think it'd be fun to rig and pose it, maybe give it a laser rifle prop or something.

I think it's about 2 weeks until fallout 4 comes out; I'm looking forward to finally getting answers for my original questions.

On 8/10/2015, 9:16:28, TheBlackShadow said:

I love it m8, I love it so much. I would love to have something like this in my game when the time comes, so hot. Keep up the great work : D

On 30/9/2015, 3:35:42, Rakill54 said:

Wow, its better than the whole fallout 4 trailer..... if u can make more sexy version , and with standing nipples, you will be my hero  default_smile.png

On 27/9/2015, 7:15:34, youngfool said:

its, its beautiful...

On 30/8/2015, 11:23:03, Happysparkles said:

This is really beautiful. Looking forward to seeing more default_biggrin.png

On 31/8/2015, 11:50:42, LaEspada said:

Looks awesome,  I always loved armors/outfits like this for badass female characters.

Really, really appreciate this. Keep saying nice things to modders because it's powerful motivation fuel. I should just encourage a modder every day, because having a positive community is awesome.

On 3/9/2015, 6:04:24, Halstrom said:

Looks good though I think the rolled up sleeves don't suit the skin tight look for me, maybe roll them down and add elbow pads?

If you get really bored with your success maybe a zipped up version and if you extended the zip right down all the way maybe a fully zipped open adult version exposing the breasts, crotch and rear.

Can you make the belt a separate or separable item so we can make Pregnant versions later?

And also a damaged version might be good too default_smile.png

I'll make the .blend and .psd files available for download when it's complete. Should help to alter it to suit any particular tastes.

Update: Topology

Ntcm3xw.jpg

Posing it is almost pointless because I'll need to redo all the weights for the FO4 skeleton, but it does reveal weaknesses in the topology which will need to be fixed before texturing.

On 30/10/2015, 1:48:19, maybenexttime said:

You're making an armor without the proper FO4 body. You may have to scale somethings to fit the FO4 body which may lead it to making it look strange in some parts. That's the only other concern I'd have.

Very true. Most likely I will have to re-proportion ratios like shoulders-hips and legs-torso, but I think my precious waist-bust should survive intact.

Yeah, It would be nice if I could get in early with a body mod. If people like it perhaps it'll be supported by whatever kind of Bodyslide thing someone smarter than me creates. One shortcoming of CBBE is that the topology can't fit something like this very well.

On 5/11/2015, 4:37:13, E_Nigma said:

This makes the future for FO4 body mods look so bright, 3/NV had little choice for curvy bodies, but this is I dare say the most ideal body I have seen. I like it even more than 7B

UPDATE: Texturing

IfFai1g.jpg

So now it's finally getting interesting. I think it will still need a lot of dirt and wear before it'll look okay for fallout.

This is the low-poly model with diffuse, normal, and specular textures.

I think at some point I said I would release the .psd along with the mod - I apologise, I think I forgot that I wasn't going to be using photoshop for this project. This was all done inside of blender using the material node system. I was getting sick of being constrained by the layer stack in photoshop; my computer isn't the beefiest and the cost of 4096^2 layers with alpha channels adds up pretty quickly.

I'm pretty impressed with the results so far. Here's one thing I like: If you zoom in on the bright blue fabric you can see I was going for a kind of carbon-fiber style weave texture. That's just a tiny tiling image I made, and I can scale it or rotate it and watch it change in real-time until it looks right.

I'd say the biggest drawback I can think of is that it would be difficult for someone else to use my work as it's much more difficult to read than photoshop. I'll see if I can find a way to label or comment on the node layout so that this will actually be useful to someone. At least changing the colors will be super easy, you can just pick them directly.

I like the idea of a fresh slate for a new game, body-wise. So... don't be mad but I'm going to try and get this display body into FO4. As one more of many competing body mods with partial support. 

I think that the problem is that it's easiest and most common for modders to work alone on this kinda thing. I know that I'm not driven by a vision for a vast, customizable buffet of assets for everyone,  I'm driven by my own fickle and selfish creative whims.

On 7/11/2015, 8:37:05, CPU said:

Nooooo! CBBE!

(And I hope we will have a single body type for Skyrim, but I am sure we will have a <insert any random number greater that 10 here> of them.)

It may be hard to tell, because this body is already heavily stylized, but you actually just caught an anatomical error that I somehow completely failed to notice. Thanks! I'll fix it up when I re-proportion everything to fit the vanilla skeleton.

On 8/11/2015, 8:02:12, NoJoker said:

Btw, I think the shoes look a bit too big, imo, generally women with smaller feet always look more appealing. 

On 9/11/2015, 11:19:09, Grine said:

tumblr_inline_n4foafra0C1sew80h.jpg

Ugh, I wish. last time when I did the tentacle thing for Skyrim literally more than half the work was trying to get the damn thing to work in-game. I expect that FO4 will be even more vexing.

On 9/11/2015, 6:36:54, tenzan said:

Looking good. Will be nice to have something right out the gate. (Or soonish out the gate)

Not a problem, it's all in the texture.

On 9/11/2015, 10:39:06, alucrad90 said:

by the way, I've to say zip mesh is realy computer burner.

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement, you're the best!

Update: I HAVE JUST HAD AN INCREDIBLE IDEA.

I think a lot of people who want to make models for mods go into it and get turned off by how bloody complicated it all is. First there's blender, which is confusing to learn. You have to learn, at the very least, box modelling, UV mapping, rigging, and texturing in photoshop. And once you've mastered those you need to use nifscope, the CK, export scripts, obsolete versions of software...

Every modder who's put a thing into the game has had to go through all this, figuring it out for themselves, reinventing the wheel.

So, what if I were to create a tutorial series for a full project of getting an idea out of your head and into the game?

• Requiring only novice skills to understand
  • Teaching the tricks I've learned to get high quality with minimal effort
  • Where all the importing, rig, texturing, everything possible is already set up in a custom .blend file
  • Where as much of the nifscope work as possible is also already prepared
  • With accompanying timelapse videos of an entire example project to follow along with

What I've discovered from using cycles is that all the texturing stuff can be made extremely simple: All the student would have to do is assign different pre-made materials to different parts of their mesh. Textures can be baked straight out of blender without any need to edit with photoshop. It can even be highly customizable, like for example I just changed all the colors of the jumpsuit in a snap:

sCtuNjB.jpg

Rigging can also be simplified a great deal if I set up a rigify rig based on the vanilla skeleton.

So for the tutorial, all the student would need to do is rough out an idea, subsurf-model it, make the lowpoly model, unwrap it, assign materials. The rest will just be rote following instructions for rigging, baking out textures and exporting.

Similarly a custom .nif can be made as an ideal starting point, with existing objects with shader properties already set up to match the pre-made materials in the .blend file, and exported mesh parts can just be copied over.

I would love to hear any thoughts on this tutorial idea. Especially if you can foresee any issues with it.

Also if anyone knows if it would be possible to have the rote stuff handled by a script, or any other way to make it as easy as possible for the student, I'd love to hear it.

Well this is embarrassing. I just saw my renders on my laptop screen and they're all wrong! The body and laser rifle are supposed to be so black you can only see their silhouettes. Instead You can see the untextured face and it's creepy as hell.

On 13/11/2015, 6:29:13,
said:

How soon can we expect a prototype to try? I know it must be tricky with the changes made to the files so please don't feel pressurized to rush it!

Here's the situation: On the blender side things are pretty much done. It's all modelled, wrapped and textured. The only thing remaining is to skin it to the FO4 skeleton and for that I'll need to be able to import models from FO4.

On 15/11/2015, 5:14:27, slider said:

This project looks so promising I would love to see it setting the bar for mod quality. Can you give us a status update?

By the way, what's your intention: to make it a stand-alone item or to modify the original Lone Wanderer jumpsuit? I guess I would prefer the latter.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody has yet succeeded in getting FO4 models into blender or vice versa. Since my expertise lies solely on the blender side, this won't be in-game until someone who's figured it out explains it to me very slowly, i.e after the first model replacer mods come out. I won't be the first.

With Skyrim, the first model mods were out well in advance of the Creation Kit, so they started as replacers. As far as I understand the FO4 meshes work differently so it may take longer this time. In any case it's out of my hands for the moment.

From what I've seen so far, it seems that some outfits can't have addons. For those that do, addons are universally compatible: you can wear a raider pauldron with a vault jumpsuit for example.

What this means is that if an outfit is made with a different body type, and it allows addons, then every addon must be changed to fit it, and then every other outfit must also be changed for the addons.

So at least to begin with, the only choice (scope-control wise) is to disable addons from working with it.

On 13/11/2015, 10:13:28, Miarc007 said:

Will it be modifiable in game? I've looked at several crafting options and the ability to improve the vanilla suit, things like insulated padding against damage, lead lining against rads, etc. It would be a really cool idea to either A) use the vanilla mods to improve your work or B) create you own unique upgrades.

The other thing is an idea: armour layering, got anything planned for this? if you can get the vanilla armour to stack onto your model then you can design your own to fit the style better. Again keep up the good work, I'm determined to get this as my first replacer in game.

On 13/11/2015, 6:29:13, Miarc007 said:

I like the alternate jumpsuit colours, if your planning any more I'd suggest black or green (military).

I like that you can modify the outfit itself. I'll need to investigate that and see if it can be linked to different textures or model versions.

On 15/11/2015, 1:56:14,
said:

I really like the body type, please make this a body type mod as well when its possible <3 kudos

I think it can't be done with textures, but the body slider has a muscular type, so if I'm being thorough then I should make a muscular version. I would like to make a body replacer to resemble this one.

On 10/11/2015, 5:51:07, Grine said:

And just a little feedback regarding the jumpsuit, since it is so skin tight do you mind doing something that it kind looks like our fair lady has some muscle on her? on the naked body we usually do this with normal mapping but since this is jumpsuit covering most of the body that wont work.

I really dont know how you would do it though, can it be done with just texturing?

What I meant was that there would be a rig in the .blend file that matches the game skeleton, with the same bone names. IIRC using the rigify script on the rig and mesh together should skin it automatically with pretty good results. The point being that the student wouldn't have to learn how to weightpaint which is arduous and boring.

But now that I think on it, maybe copying bone weights from the nude body would be a simpler route.

On 15/11/2015, 5:28:14, tenzan said:

@DixiePig

Would be amazing. I was comfortable modding in Oblivion after a while, but FO3 threw a wrench in as did Skyrim, and it just became too exhausting to get grounded in it.

That would also help me far beyond just from a modding standpoint. I didn't know you could customize Rigify either.

Update:

Not much to do now but glare at Nifscope's issue tracker on github.

On 21/11/2015, 10:24:51, Miarc007 said:

Been Fairly quite lately, what's the latest news?

So I've just been messing around with stuff. Thought I'd see if I could subsurf model some loose clothing:

Nk56NYw.png

Update: Nifskope

cqcTvma.png

So it seems that nifSkope partially supports FO4 now. Excellent.

However, my grasp of .nif files isn't great. I've spent some time with it and so far I still haven't been able to get anything into blender.

To get the jumpsuit into the game I need to reshape the mesh to match up with the vanilla neck and hands, and skin it to the vanilla skeleton. To do this, I need that vanilla body mesh.

This isn't my area of expertise so if anyone has had success in this area, I'd love some help. As it is, I may not be able to continue until someone posts some explicit instructions, but I'd rather not keep you all waiting.

Another thing: If I can get this out before the GECK, it will have to be a replacer. What vanilla outfit should I replace? I'd prefer to avoid common items like the vault jumpsuit. I've been enjoying the game a lot but taking it slow so I don't know the full range of options I have.

Thanks again for the encouragement, it means a lot. We're out of the honeymoon phase of this project and getting into the hard, boring part. I have some smaller testing projects I've been working on that I'd like to post about because they illustrate the methods behind the jumpsuit. I'd like to post about them in between slogging through nifSkope stuff. One question: at least one of the projects is very NSFW compared to the jumpsuit project. Would it be a breach of etiquette to post about that here?

Update:

On 28/11/2015, 8:57:18,
said:

Hahaha... This whole forum is built around developing the NSFWest content we can possibly imagine, I think almost universally the response will be "not a breach at all". Post! The more the better!.
default_biggrin.png

...Right.

EOmbqQl.png

This was a test of the node based texturing method I'm using for the jumpsuit. It's a little rough, I feel like it could be improved in a few ways but I'm not sure how. I'd really appreciate any criticism.

Here are some interesting things about this:

• No UV mapping.
  • The tentacles look pretty detailed but they're just simple bezier curves with procedural textures.
  • The nipples and wet areas on the skin are textures projected onto the body. Their position/orientation/scale are controlled by empty objects in world space, making it highly customizeable.
  • Normal details can go a long way when you can edit them with real-time feedback.
  • UV distortion and seams are no longer a problem when you can just project texture details
  • All these details can be baked into game-ready textures once the body is UV mapped.

This method will probably feature heavily in the Tutorial project. I haven't even started that though, so if in the meantime anyone would like explicit guidance on how to do this feel free to ask. Also, if anyone would like to study the .blend file I'd be happy to provide it.

I was first pointed to Shadman's work when I put this project up on reddit. They do look similar! I'm not much of a designer, so I just made a generic skin-tight jumpsuit without any creative spin on it. Maybe next I should make that hair and makeup so we can have her in-game for real.

On 30/11/2015, 10:39:05, Arhon said:

Call me crazy but that suit looks really close to the suit Vault meat uses

Noted. Though it doesn't really bother me if no-one uses this mod.

On 1/12/2015, 4:06:32, Arhon said:

However please stay away from High-Heels until a proper Framework for HH is developed for Fallout 4.

Nearly nobody used the ones before the framework appeared.

On 23/11/2015, 3:38:35, Grine said:

Just a little tip, STAY AWAY FROM HIGH HEELS.

On 3/12/2015, 5:48:13,
said:

You don t need the GECK to add new outfits, F4Edit allows it already.

On 4/12/2015, 12:54:25,
said:

I know your worried about how to implement it into the game with its ESP, but don't get absorbed in like panic mode there if your having a tough time with that part its not as big a deal as say actually being able to make unique mesh that works in the game.

That's a bridge I'll cross when I get to it. At the moment I'm concerned with getting the mesh game-ready, which means it needs to be weight painted and matched to the vanilla proportions. For this I need a weighted vanilla body mesh in blender.

I got in touch with Caliente about this, it seems that she has had only partial success in this area. She very graciously provided me with a .obj of the vanilla body. .obj doesn't contain any bone weights so it's not sufficient for getting this in-game, but it does allow me to begin re-proportioning my mesh.

So far, I've realized that the body I've made has a really tiny neck which makes the vanilla neck look beefy. It also means that the collar will have to be the most distorted area.

On 30/10/2015, 1:48:19, 
 said:

You're making an armor without the proper FO4 body. You may have to scale somethings to fit the FO4 body which may lead it to making it look strange in some parts. That's the only other concern I'd have.

OP said:

Very true. Most likely I will have to re-proportion ratios like shoulders-hips and legs-torso, but I think my precious waist-bust should survive intact.

My opinion is that you could just make it like full replacer, example how normal vaultsuit is working right now if you have cbbe installed, no need to start resizing it, we could do it later in outfit studio if someone like..

all im saying that the proportions are MINT, would be shame to ruin em..

I like that you're using the new texture engine to great effect. Also, I like the stylized, absurd, anime-like shape.

the FO4 texture mapping is WAAAY better than skyrims. The normal map does A TON of work in the game, reducing the necessary polycount significatly. For example . . . look at a bobblehead. Go to inventory, examine it. look at the sides of the head. all that detailing of the hair is baked into the normal map. In skyrim, that would have had 2x the polys at least, and even with a high-res texture it still would have been pretty flat. There's a ton of things in game that you have to really examine it up close for the normal map to start looking flat.

I think you're doing the right thing. Fewer surfaces + higher texture quality = very good in game fidelity with very good performance.

Just curious. . . what's your count?

Archived