I've been around in this community for awhile but I haven't really taken part in it. With the release of Fallout 4 I figured why not introduce myself by showing the WIP work I've been doing on some new magazines and books for Fallout 4. I plan to actually add these to the game once the toolset is out (I don't fancy messing with load lists and so on with FO4edit and so on at the moment, I'd rather add items via a script for maximum cross-compatibility with other modifications*).

If you have any ideas on potential effects, I'd love to hear them.

Magazines

Vault-Tec S.P.E.C.I.A.L Informational Pamphlets

7 Issues, each one will add a permanent +1 to the specific SPECIAL stat it represents. Kind of inspired by those SPECIAL films from bethesda.

xKkAn9U.jpg

First Aid Manual

5 Issues. Based on a lore skillbook from the first and second fallouts, currently planning on having it add +3 hitpoints per issue.

FqULwIc.jpg

Dean's Electronics Handbooks

5 Issues. Based on a lore skillbook that has appeared in every Fallout with the exception of F4. I'd like to have it affect things related to the "science" skill, but that's harder in Fallout 4 as there isn't really anything except perhaps hacking so I'm inclined to having it increase energy resistance.

bVfrB3x.jpg

Duck and Cover!

5 Issues (you'll notice this is a pattern, most things will have 5 issues). Based on the lore skillbook, Duck and Cover! will increase explosives damage per issue.

OFMzE7F.jpg

Entomologist's Monthly

5 Issues, will increase damage to "insects" (Bloatflies, Scorpions, Bloodbugs and so on). Kind of vaguely based on an old 19th century/early 20th century entomology journal/magazine.

wMBt9w1.jpg

Big Game Hunter

5 Issues, will increase damage to "animals" (Dogs, Yao Guai etc). Vaguely based on old hunting magazines such as Outdoor Life.

heypeWZ.jpg

Pugilism Illustrated

5 Issues based on the original lore skill book. Will increase unarmed damage per issue.

ibDoBaK.jpg

Fallout Protection Booklets

3 issues, based on an old US Cold War nuclear information booklet. This will likely increase radiation resistance.

jgwpSZH.jpg

Cat's Paw

Based on the eponymous adult magazine from the original Fallouts. Right now I have no idea what effects they should have, when other adult mods (or perhaps a framework) is released, effects could be applied relevant to those modifications, in the mean time I guess they'd just be collectables. I'm using publicly available pinup art from the 1950s as I feel it suits the aesthetics of the game better than using photographs or more modern art. I've edited the art to fit the magazine covers but I am not the original artist. If you're interested in the artists, the main one right now is Greg Hildebrandt, who has done some pretty classic pinups and posters in his day.

shek1rS.jpg

A2S1hzI.png

Books

Chinese Army: Special Ops Training Manual

A single instance will be available. It isn't an exact replica of the original but rather something that I feel makes more sense than the one from Fallout 3. Why would the protagonist suddenly know chinese? Realistically, they wouldn't, so this is an english translation by the US Army and Department of Defence. Right now the book will give a +1 to agility, although I might switch this for a simple boost to stealth as the originals.

JKOx8id.png

--------

(Note, all the actual "Books" that use the existing book model all have a gash down the middle. This is on the mesh and I'm not a modeller so I'm hoping at some point a non-damage book will be available. There kind of is an existing non-damage book available but it's a static object rather than inventory).

--------

Big Book of Science

Currently it will increase intelligence by +1.

QKqdV8W.png

True Police Stories, Centennial Limited Edition

Increase Perception by +1.

5xbWLdD.png

Today's Physician: The Complete Anthology

Increase Endurance by +1.

jPHY1Jh.png

Lying, Congressional Style

Increase Charisma by +1.

1hOG5io.png

The House Always Wins: A Complete Guide to Gambling

Increase Luck by +1.

TNDgcBh.png

Complete Dummie's Guide to Teaching Yourself

Experience gain bonus will be the likely effect of finding this one.

0OhExHw.png

To do list

Magazines

- Tæles of Chivalrie.

- Art of Self-Defence.

Books

- A strength-based book to go along with the other SPECIAL boosting Books, seeing as it's the only stat missing.

I may add others once the toolset becomes available and I can see what character effects are possible.

* Anyone who could help me with papyrus in this regard, I'd be very grateful.

I love the idea of a First-aid magazine skill up, you have many good ideas here I look forward to the end result.

I completely lost it on the illustration for "Complete Dummie's Guide to Teaching Yourself"

Cheers  :lol:

I felt Fallout 4 was missing a lot of the quirky humour from the past games, might as well try to throw some of it in here.

I love the idea of a First-aid magazine skill up, you have many good ideas here I look forward to the end result.

I completely lost it on the illustration for "Complete Dummie's Guide to Teaching Yourself"

Same here, I laughed out loud so hard when I saw the meme.

I like adding more magazines and books from previous games.

Posting here as well since this will soon be the main forum. Looks very good. As for catspaw I think it will depend on what gets made as a sex framework for FO4. I could see perk system added for it. Or you could let them give the PC things like Black Widow, a perk that makes them more persuasive to one gender etc. Though a sex perk tree when the sexlab mod comes out would be very cool

Cheers for the comments everyone.  :blush:

Nice! Gonna need more place for them magazines.

Travelling the commonwealth wasteland, it really feels like bethesda left a lot of it unfinished with the intention of providing areas for mod expansion (or maybe they were just lazy). I get that feeling with a lot of the game though. Once the toolset is out I'll take a crack at adding a few new locations for these, but I'm guessing chucksteel or someone else will beat me to a "Commonwealth Interiors"  type project; not that I'd mind.

Posting here as well since this will soon be the main forum. Looks very good. As for catspaw I think it will depend on what gets made as a sex framework for FO4. I could see perk system added for it. Or you could let them give the PC things like Black Widow, a perk that makes them more persuasive to one gender etc. Though a sex perk tree when the sexlab mod comes out would be very cool

I think giving Black Widow ranks et al is a good stopgap until a framework is done, just so the magazines actually give something more tangible gameplay wise than a hint of voyeurism. Nice idea.

I like the April issue of Cat's Paw, but can you add the cigarette back into the guy's fingers and the hotel window in the back ground? The way the guy's fingers are placed seem inconsistent with the way one holds a packet of condoms, instead if you wanted to incorporate condoms, could add the packet to the mouth of the woman in some way, maybe hanging by one corner? (though it's kind of a bad angle)... I don't know, it's just preference I guess.

These all look amazing so far. You have some talent with this, that's for sure. I'm anxiously awaiting for this to become a playable mod. biggrin.png

Also, just noticed, but the flavor text on the September issue is barely legible and would probably stand out more against the car in white or some other bright color.

I have an idea for two more Magazines. "Master & Gunner" (parody of master & commander) gives the broadsider and fatman firing arcs or more range and "American Super Weapons" Unlocks the ability to rip the guns of those old tanks/vertabirds and use them or build bigger artillery at settlements.

the amount of bloody books iv collected and placed on shelves, i need this mod haha more books!!!

If you could make replacements for the existing ingame books that would be awsome, theres overdue book wich has its own texture, but burnt book, burnt textbook, burnt history book seem to use the same texture it would be nice if thay used separate ones like the overdue book dose just so theres a bit more variety. not shore if there other books only found those 4. interesting side note i found about 10x more books in the trinity church then i did in the public library. Speaking of witch could you add a beaten up bible just the one last surviving bible in all the wasteland ????

Love this idea. With the Vault-tec pamphlets upping stats i would change the other ones to something else. Something like the todays physician giving a crafting ability for a stimpack+. for the tales of chivalry i think a speed increase to melee would be nice. art of selfdefence could make the block time last longer or a successful block would hurt them. A body builder mag for the strength would work.

the amount of bloody books iv collected and placed on shelves, i need this mod haha more books!!!

If you could make replacements for the existing ingame books that would be awsome, theres overdue book wich has its own texture, but burnt book, burnt textbook, burnt history book seem to use the same texture it would be nice if thay used separate ones like the overdue book dose just so theres a bit more variety. not shore if there other books only found those 4. interesting side note i found about 10x more books in the trinity church then i did in the public library. Speaking of witch could you add a beaten up bible just the one last surviving bible in all the wasteland ????

Don't know why, but your opening statement about the bloody books reminded me of a rehabilitation camp my friend went to a while back. He said there was a stash of skin mags there and some of them you had to be careful with, because apparently he found one or two with some of the pages stuck together, lol.

Maybe you could have one or two of the Cat's Paw magazines with what looks like cum spayed across the cover. :lol:

I read your posts and ideas and I love it. I have a few suggestions for the areas your missing if your willing to listen. Just to help you  out a little, get you brainstorming.

If you wish to add something regarding Energy damage or Resistance I'd recomend Nikola Tesla and You.

As for Dean's Electronics I'd recommend something more towards settlements and crafting. Maybe a required material reduction or salvage increase if possible?

As for Cat's Paw there are only a few things I can think of. Basically increasing persuasion checks, maybe make it similiar to the black widow or lady killer perk. Or you can make it give the Femme Cherche or Confirmed Bachelor Perks per rank. The last idea I can think of is just a plain 50XP per Magazine.

For Tæles of Chivalrie I'd recommend an increase in Melee damge, Attack Speed, Armor Pen, increased Crit Damage with melee, or Defence against melee. The Same with Self Defence only making it for Unarmed and adding AP regen to the list to pick from.

As for Strength, other than adding an schwarzenegger-esk body builder Book, I can only think of the Scout Handbook from previous Fallouts...sorry...

Just helping your little project. Hope it helps.

Not really any consolation, but it might be possible to use Sunset Sarsaparilla from Fallout New Vegas for your strength book. Kinda like a corporate PR Manual made available for the public on getting buff or somthing. You know, "Build Mass With Sass" that kinda thing.

Hey by the way I'm making a vault girl mod based on shadman's vault girl (working on making a SFW version first, then nsfw options, and tie ins to other mods). I'm willing to make some magazine covers with Vault Girl on it. Could represent perks or anything and just be skill books.

Archived