SAM or SOS

Guest Akrabra

Guest Akrabra

As the title says, which male body replacer to choose from. The last few times i played Skyrim with Sexlab i used SoS and i quite like the replacer, but it seems script heavy and i usually have some other script heavy mods like Frostfall which i always use. Is SAM any different?

Been looking abit at the information on Hall of Torque and it seems like you can turn off scaling for Npc's and companions, which sounds practical as i only use it for the player character. I don't like the textures of the body though so thats a con. Any insight as which mod to choose for a new playthrough? 

If the latest ver of SoS (full) is too script heavy for your Skyrim, Sam would be much heavier. 

SAM's advantage over SoS is size/ shape variants of not only the genital, but the body  morph in general,

which is enabled by SAM to makes additional extensive use of Nii override.

So, generally speaking, SoS (full) is relatively light-weight compared with SAM

unless your PC has very good GPU as well as very weak CPU.

I am on the fence also. There is so much addon available for SoS and I use a customized lite version that does almost everything the full version does (I adjust xp32 skeletal bones in nifscope to get a default size that fits the Flavored Souls template). SAM has a really nice UI, but I'd agree the textures aren't as fully realized. I've always liked the gritty, sinewy vanilla, SoS available textures, where SAM's body textures give a baby smooth, soft an puffy feel.

And then there are the Revealing Armors available here at LL, SAM doesn't have much of that yet. For skyrim to have that wild, ancient celt, barbaric quality of desperate survival limited property and means. .. 

Love what's happening with SAM. May wait for more content though. 

SOS for compatibility with other mods. SAM is better, in my opinion (I didn't have performance issues). However, a fair few of the mods I used weren't compatible.

Well, for the last few months while SAM has been on hiatus. SAM has just recently been updated as "SAM Recoded" - so perhaps I will go back to SAM soon.

Guest Akrabra

Tried SAM recoded for abit and i quite like it, my system seems stable with it and i like how many options it offers. My biggest gripe with it its the body textures, i am not a huge fan. Thanks for the advice. 

Are you guys aware of how easy it it is to edit the textures in a good graphics app like Gimp, Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, or even Paint.Net to make the textures the way you want. Vanilla textures can be easily adapted to both bodies if that is the look you want. Also because SAM is very closely related to the SOS body, the textures are pretty darn close to being a match. If seams show up its a quick trip into the graphics app of your choice to tweak the textures the way they best fit the body you want to use. I guess everyone wants everything done for them. I made my own own body textures because every single one was not realistic enough for me. Mainly hair pastern growth on the male body and horrible pubic hair. So if I can do it anyone can if they really want too.

On a side note, one thing about the SOS body I hated was the over sized nipples on the body. I mean who came up with the idea that men have nipples the size of a woman's nipples. They should be small little things but they are as big round as a finger. They are much better on the SAM body but still a little to big in my opinion. I would rather the pecks be flat and go back to letting the the normalmap give the illusion of height on the nipples. Allot of guys have nearly flat nipples anyway so I just don't get why they were made to stick out a mile. Also the placement was wrong. Most males nipple are a little higher up on the peck/breast than they are in the vanilla body and the SOS body. The SOS body looks like all the males have bitch tits. The placement in SAM is more akin to the average placement on most men. Again just a personal observation. I just use the good old Better males bodies as I just do not need to have my characters penis waging all over the place and I don't have the need to make it erect either. There are limits to how far I personally want my game to go. If Bethesda built sex into the game as a feature along with reproduction over time and or building a lasting relationship with an NPC in a romantic way that than would be different. I just do not need to personally live that vicariously through my player character to that degree. But of course that is what this site is all about so my opinion with fall on def ears.

As another side note, one body model that would work well in Skyrim with some tweaking and importing would be the  Room207 body builder body based on the original Roberts bodies. These bodies were higher poly than than the original Skyrim Male body and should be able to made to work by the right person. I could try if my skills in MAX were a bit better. The main issue would be the textures and getting high res versions made. I even want this body in Fallout 3 and NV. Anyway I think I have blabbered on enough.

P.S. Edited for grammar and spelling

If you ever want the option to give female characters schlongs in addition to the males without having to use SOS Light in tandem with a separate phallication utility, then Schlongs of Skyrim is the way to go.

If you purely want to go the gender binary route while providing far greater variety in male forms on the fly than Bodyslide for males can give you, then SAM is probably the better choice.

I think he meant by the original author in exhange for SAM, SOS was continued by the community so it was not abandoned in that sense..

Original authors are Vector Plexus and Smurf, neither are around anymore to work on either mod.

Both SOS and SAM are being maintained by Belisario and Hymnaru.

SOS has it's home here and SAM is being worked on over at the Hall of Torque.

Both mods are still current and relevant.

I tried SAM a while back and it was all well and good. It functioned well with SL mods, too.

If I was inclined to start a new game with a male character I'd probably go with SAM. Especially if I wanted the character to look like me, a large, muscular guy with a little bit of a belly (hey, I'm in my 40s! :lol:). The ability to have a new male shape is the biggest plus in my mind. All the men looking the same kinda' sucks after a while.

It pretty much comes down to this.

SOS: Used in pretty much every sex mod there is for Skyrim. Has different sizes and shapes for the genitals, which are customizable through MCM. Multiple textures available, but unless you're using Everyone's Different or something with similar function, everybody has the same body type (minus weight, of course), body hair, abs, etc. Nearly every male armor conversion/refit you come across (unless specifically made for SAM) has been done with SOS in mind (or at least is compatible). A bit easier to get to work with custom races. Also has the ability to add male genitals to female characters with addons.

SAM: For the most part, everything that requires SOS that isn't armor, textures, etc. can use SAM (some clipping might be involved). Still quite a few different textures, but not as many as SOS. Not only are the genitals' size customizable, but the body type is, too. And body hair. Currently there are only two options for "shape" of the genitals, being "cut" and "uncut." Although, technically, you can change the shape with the sliders in XPMSE. Heavier with scripts, but the Recoded line is much more streamlined than the Legacy version. Currently less completed conversions and refits, but more are being worked on. More active with community involvement, currently. Can't use MCM menu until finished with "Unbound" quest.

In my personal opinion, SAM is better than SOS, but it's your opinion that matters. If nothing else, try both (at separate times, of course. They are completely incompatible with each other) and see which one you like better. 

frankly i find SAm a little funny  in proportion of body, i mean... out of 100 (and 100 too) the body look funny extremly unrealist for me. not a bad mod btw, its very nice to see such variation of body and "beer drinker" body of men ^^ .

i use sos for now, i m gonna try SAM (but i probably never reach 75) XD

frankly i find SAm a little funny  in proportion of body, i mean... out of 100 (and 100 too) the body look funny extremly unrealist for me. not a bad mod btw, its very nice to see such variation of body and "beer drinker" body of men ^^ .

i use sos for now, i m gonna try SAM (but i probably never reach 75) XD

That's the best part! By adding Samson or Samuel, you can make your character broader or fatter. And if you think they're too big, you can change their weight and Samson/Samuel right in the MCM.

• 6 months later...

so, I found this old thread...

I would like to start a new game with male player, is better to use S.A.M. or stay with SoS?

I have some question:

- using SoS, I have HDT collision with COS female body (or UUNP special), this is supported by S.A.M. already?

- S.A.M. have slot 52 problem with female armors? (like Bikini Armors by nisetanaka)

- Non vanilla male armor, is compatible with S.A.M.?

thanks in advance!

cheers

S.

Archived