Paid mods for skyrim.

Guest Suited Prawns

"We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating."

LOL looks like they are not putting the idea down yet =.=

Well, remember from Bethesda's blog post: "More games are coming to Paid Mods on Steam soon".

Whilst we have won this round, there's no guarantee that they won't try this again in the future.

In that announcement they admit that introducing this into a well established mod scene was a bad idea, they may just wait until FO:4 or TES:6 releases and try again with a fresh slate.

Eyes on the future I guess. But for now, the pitchforks can be put away...

This will kill modding.

It won't. This might seem like a massive rant but instead of just saying what I see/think is happening, I feel like expressing my feelings on the matter after digesting all of this over a period of time.

Take a look at this link. This is effectively a person's look into most of the paid SWS mods and why they're all pretty much shit in detail. The only mod here even shown to be competently good is the Gifts of Akatosh mod, and there are three things to say about this:

1. The sword here is the Sword of Ancient Tongues, a mod I would actually include with my weapon recommendations, retextured. Not much of anything new.

2. Some of it doesn't look THAT good in the first place. I agree with the tester here about the dagger and the hammer.

3. There are other male only/unisex armor mods that could be recommended far better than this.

Beyond this, the only mods I could even recommend on the paid SWS are SkyUI, Chesko's stuff, which is down anyway, Arthmoor's Castle Volkihar Rebuilt, and Isoku's mods. EVEN THEN, the following can be said:

Arthmoor: As far as I know, Castle Volkihar Rebuilt is his only paid SWS mod, and I recall a Reddit post about him declaring all of his other works would remain free. So we have a guy testing the waters with a mod that only players with the intent of rooming up in Castle Volkihar specifically would really care about.

Chesko: I have the most sympathy for this guy. He thought hard about this, shared his story about it openly after things started up, declared from the get-go that his mods would still be up on the Nexus on a time trial basis for the paid SWS(one month wait for updates, three month wait for entire new mods), and basically did what he could to test this out without pissing off the general community and still got a lot of flack for it. I would hope that at the very least he returns to modding because I was looking forward to that combination of Campfire, Frostfall, and Last Seed with less intensive script use.

SkyUI: The core functions of SkyUI are going to be in the free 4.1 version. The only thing, LITERALLY the only thing you are paying for is a redone crafting and enchanting menu. You still have MCM, you still have the core functions in the free version. They haven't given up on it, told players to screw off and pay them for their mod. They're still supporting the freeware.

Isoku's mods are the only exceptions, and even then not completely. You still have Realistic Needs and Diseases. There are other needs mods too, though not as expansive, such as Bathing in Skyrim(I tried it just recently, love it). The exception in my opinion is Wet and Cold, which for some reason I can't access the SWS page of. But look at the changelog. He did put some effort into it. And he put these on SWS while keeping Wonders of Weather, Loot and Degradation, Moon Glow, Exhaustion, Realistic Water Two, Deadly Spell Impacts, Intricate Spider Webs, and Realistic Smoke and Embers all free. Wet and Cold Ashes also appears to be free on SWS. Not sure if it's a newer version or not than the Nexus version.

Meanwhile there are not many interesting things happening on the paid SWS. Like I linked above, most of the mods tested/tried out by the player whose imgur album is linked above were shit. Poorly made, badly designed, and weapons that are straight asset ports from other games. The actual for serious modders getting into this are/were mostly testing the waters, and many current modders pretty much stated they weren't for it and were even against it. Future modders? Well, that's to wait and see. They'll either do some shitty reskins, mediocre ports, or just something without much effort put into it for a cut, or try to polish their skills, make something good, and release it on places like the Nexus where they can hopefully receive decent donations. Or maybe they'll make something really good and put it up for sale. There's been talk in the subreddit of people willing to buy Skywind for a price, for example, but the creators stated it will be free. I agree with the sentiment though. If it's big and well done enough, it could be worth it. One thing annoying me here is the outcry that this is where the next Fallout game is heading, this is where the next Elder Scrolls game is heading. We don't even know how modding will be done on the next ES game, or the next Fallout game. We're still seeing new avenues traveled in Skyrim modding years later, and we're already making decisions about bridges that haven't even been crossed yet.

The modding scene is far from doomed.

Edit: Did not see the above link about paid mods being taken down.

It's a joke, much like Steam's paid-mod service.

I wouldn't worry too much. This race for an extra .01% profit is going to blow up in Valve/Bethesda's face. 

Quoting myself from the "Show your Skyrim counterpart thread" because I believe it applies.

They'll try this again when Fallout 4 hits.

Quoting myself from the "Show your Skyrim counterpart thread" because I believe it applies.

Dude, you're a prophet! :D  I had my hopes, but on the other hand those are big companies.

ahhhhhh dont worry we got another 20 years before Fallout 4 comes dont worry we goooood beans

AHAHAHAHA!

Chesko, Isoku, and the SkyUI team threw away their reps/integrity for NOTHING!

NOTHING!

AHAHAHAHA!

Really though, Chesko I can forgive, because he genuinely seemed to have gotten himself into a situation he didn't fully understand.

Fuck the other guys though.

AHAHAHAHA!

Chesko, Isoku, and the SkyUI team threw away their reps/integrity for NOTHING!

NOTHING!

AHAHAHAHA!

Really though, Chesko I can forgive, because he genuinely seemed to have gotten himself into a situation he didn't fully understand.

Fuck the other guys though.

Seriously though. Those guys are like "fuck me..."

Gonna see how long it takes for them to put their updated mods on the Nexus. Probably gonna disappear for 6 mouths again like they all did before this happened though.

Dude, you're a prophet! :D  I had my hopes, but on the other hand those are big companies.

ahhhhhh dont worry we got another 20 years before Fallout 4 comes dont worry we goooood beans

hah ! fallout 4 probably go out after half life 3... that mean.................."god know when" XD

hah ! fallout 4 probably go out after half life 3... that mean.................."god know when" XD

oh dang look what you did now we have to wait another 100 years for that game  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Whilst we have won this round, there's no guarantee that they won't try this again in the future.

In that announcement they admit that introducing this into a well established mod scene was a bad idea, they may just wait until FO:4 or TES:6 releases and try again with a fresh slate.

I'm a bit reluctant to say this, and hopefully this won't cause even more hate from people who previously disagreed with me, but essentially "we" have "won". (note the quotation marks, italic and bold formatting)

Even the big evil wizard admitted that he made a HUGE mistake and surrendered, so to speak.

Now as you say, this might have just been the first round in this fight. TES5 looks safe for now, FO4 and TES6 are definitely another chapter.

Whatever is yet to come, this can be seen as a nice "drill" about what we can do the next time they try to pull off some shit like this.

Either way this remains as sort of a pyrrhic victory, we will have to see if and how we can restore community relationships back to normal.

I'd ask everyone to act a bit more mature, gloating over the "reputational suicide" of Chesko and Isoku is not the right way.

I'm a bit reluctant to say this, and hopefully this won't cause even more hate from people who previously disagreed with me, but essentially "we" have "won". (note the quotation marks, italic and bold formatting)

Even the big evil wizard admitted that he made a HUGE mistake and surrendered, so to speak.

Now as you say, this might have just been the first round in this fight. TES5 looks safe for now, FO4 and TES6 are definitely another chapter.

Whatever is yet to come, this can be seen as a nice "drill" about what we can do the next time they try to pull off some shit like this.

Either way this remains as sort of a pyrrhic victory, we will have to see if and how we can restore community relationships back to normal.

I'd ask everyone to act a bit more mature, gloating over the "reputational suicide" of Chesko and Isoku is not the right way.

We may have won, but it came at the cost of burning bridges with some of the best modders out there. The victory came with a price and the modding scene is definitely gonna take a while to recover from this hit. 

Well, if you look at the updated post. It reads like this "Valve pulled out and we only sell Skyrim through Steam so we lost" "Also we care about the community... I guess... Fuck, we lost our money..."

Because Fuck Bethesda.

Don't miss the celebration.

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/343dde/tomorrow_creation_kids_celebration_and_victory_lap/

After this war i must say.....im going to have a hard time buying any game from them because i don't want a round two of this i have enough stress with life as it is.....for now in the future im going to be VERY scare about shopping until i get a okay from friends or here about their games.....  :unsure:  :(

Archived