Would it be possible to make clothes wearable under armor?

MasterworkStone

It's an engine limitation.

The body slot (32) includes arms and legs and can only support one object (clothes or armour). If there was a system where there were two body slots (one for armour and one for clothes), it would probaby work how you wanted, but...

Some parts of the clothes would need to be hidden if armour is worn to prevent clipping. Sort of like how part of vanilla hairs become hidden under helmets and hats but the rest is still visible..

Ever since DDi debut the underneath system I wonder if that could be tweak to do something like this.

Or ultimately is it still based on the model of the clothing and armor to cleverly prevent clipping. I remember able to wear clothes under armor in Morrowind, but I don't remember was it because they were designed with that in mind so they won't clip. Could also be that a piece of clothing or armor actually takes up multiple slots and when there is conflict one takes over the other.

Skyrim runs on a modified version of the engine Morrowind runs on, and it was possible there. What I was asking was about the second part of your post, they wouldn't share the same slot, and the clothing mesh would change when armor is applied.

Yes, that's because Morrowind had separate body slots for clothes and armour.

Ever since DDi debut the underneath system I wonder if that could be tweak to do something like this.

Or ultimately is it still based on the model of the clothing and armor to cleverly prevent clipping. I remember able to wear clothes under armor in Morrowind, but I don't remember was it because they were designed with that in mind so they won't clip. Could also be that a piece of clothing or armor actually takes up multiple slots and when there is conflict one takes over the other.

I believe it's the second one, as some clothing does have clipping in morrowind, mainly skirts. It's not too bad though.

Skyrim runs on a modified version of the engine Morrowind runs on, and it was possible there. What I was asking was about the second part of your post, they wouldn't share the same slot, and the clothing mesh would change when armor is applied.

Yes, that's because Morrowind had separate body slots for clothes and armour.

Which is what I'm suggesting, make clothing take up a different slot.

It's an engine limitation.

The body slot (32) includes arms and legs and can only support one object (clothes or armour). If there was a system where there were two body slots (one for armour and one for clothes), it would probaby work how you wanted, but...

Some parts of the clothes would need to be hidden if armour is worn to prevent clipping. Sort of like how part of vanilla hairs become hidden under helmets and hats but the rest is still visible..

what are you talking about?

7954627807.jpg

i

8218695008.jpg

you can copy paste the mesh you want in your armor mesh (or anywhere else it does not matter)

as long as the bsdismemberslon is right the game will load it (even if you armor have 50 pieces, or if your bodie is in 20 pieces)

if there is some clipping, you can use bodyslide, or blender or 3dmax

• 6 months later...

With nifskope you copy paste the mesh that you want into a armor mesh only if the mesh you are pasting into it has the same nodes as the armor. If a armor has breasts nodes and the piece you try to paste into it doesn't you will get a error.

Another way you can do it is change the BSDismemberSkinInstance to a different slot in a clothing nif and then change those same slots in CK (creation kit) so both the nif ones and the ones listed in the CK match. Something like if it had SBP_32_BODY for the outfit then change it to SBP_35_AMULET. Then wear the outfit and then put the armor on since they now use different slots you can wear both at the same time. Make sure to check for clipping.

To the OP,

When I was a member at nexus I saw a mod that had a lot of combination robes+armor in it.  The problem was the only thing the author did was paste parts of one nif into another, change the alpha values and then he edited the textures to cut away the sections that clipped or didn't look right.  That made for a huge frame rate hit since all of the parts of both nifs were still there (even if you couldn't see them) and he had modded textures (which Skyrim does not like).  Another problem was the game mechanics and how the nifs and esp were set up as far as slot assignment, priorities and everything else.  It wasn't a good mod but in typical Nexus fashion it had thousands of downloads and much praise.  Before you ask, I don't remember the mod's name or who made it.  I downloaded it, played it, looked at the nifs and esp after the fact and then deleted it.

Anyway, I've been mulling over the idea of battle mage armored robes for a while now since when I play spell casters they are always blade+destruction+armor type characters.  My solution has been to simply enchant vanilla armor with the college robes enchantments at the enchanting station.  (How many times can I type 'enchant' in one sentence?  :P )  I never get the real feel from that though because when I look at my character he's just wearing armor with a hood.

I guess the 'best' solution would be to make assemblage meshes from vanilla assets to really combine armor plus robes.  For instance, take the vanilla college robes and have the steel cuirass and pauldrons on top of them along with a modified hood that would rest on the new armored shoulders correctly.  Getting the new items into the game could be handled by vanilla vendors.  All it would take is the right combination of keywords, since clothing merchants will buy/sell Dawnguard vampire armor even though they won't buy other 'armor'.  That's the easy part; getting things into the game.  The real pain is making the meshes and doing it right.

I'm working on a few things for Veladarius at the moment but he tells me there is no real rush.  I guess I could try and tackle something like what you're asking for but it probably won't be exactly what you want, since armor+robes is all I'd be interested in making since that's what I would use.  Doing mesh work for Skyrim the real way is a pain in the ass and I don't make mods for the unwashed Skyrim masses.  It isn't worth it.  :sleepy:

Delete the body from the armor, make it slot 46 or whatever. Now you can equip clothes (body slot) and armor(46). Of course it'll look like garbage and you'll have to remove the clipping parts.

If all armors were slot 46 w/o a body you wouldn't all these stupid _0 and _1 nifs for the weight slider that explode 90% of the time.

If all armors were slot 46 w/o a body you wouldn't all these stupid _0 and _1 nifs for the weight slider that explode 90% of the time.

Amen to that.  Skyrim body scaling is the worse idea ever.  Well there's that and the Mr. Potato Head face parts.  But the scaling system is a nightmare to mod legitimately in Blender/3DMax.  Do everything right for the _0 body and then do it again for _1...and then watch it literally explode when you try to scale in game.  Scaling is the #1 reason why I do not mod Skyrim like I have past Bethesda games.  When FO4 or the next ElderScrolls comes out I hope they drop that idea.  It's fucking useless.

Archived