First Computer Build Locking Up

So... Somewhere between safe mode and not safe mode the problem just fixed itself. I don't know if booting without some drivers made them suddenly behave if they reloaded or what, but for now the lockup issue seems to have been resolved. No clue what happened but I sincerely thank everyone for their attempts to help anyway. I had also posted this issue on forums dedicated to these sort of issues and didn't get any responses at all so...

Thanks everyone.

If that solved it, then it was probably a software issue. Also, ASRock MBs are generally untrustworthy. They tend to melt down and do some things. Cheaper version of ASUS as my friend calls them.

I take my bet on WIn 8.1, because it's a piece of shit. The drivers are rarely faulty. A day ago I had to reinstall my Win7 and wipe the whole HDD. Glad that didn't happen to you.

If anything comes up I think you should install a Win 7 Ultimate. Best OP system I used yet. (Linux is better, K, but games and a lot of others softwares are not avaliable.)

They tend to melt down and do some things.

How? That was probably many years ago, when it had quality problems. Gigabyte and ASRock improved since then that my clients have no issues using those mobos in internet shop operations.

Linux is better

One still has to give an arm and leg to install Windows games in Wine, so it's not for everyone. I tried myself doing that years ago, and it was maddening amount of configuration and testing.

They tend to melt down and do some things.

How? That was probably many years ago, when it had quality problems. Gigabyte and ASRock improved since then that my clients have no issues using those mobos in internet shop operations.

Linux is better

One still has to give an arm and leg to install Windows games in Wine, so it's not for everyone. I tried myself doing that years ago, and it was maddening amount of configuration and testing.

Yes it was long ago, or it was an old MB.

I said Linux is better, but games tend to do not work with that OS, so I advised him to install Win7 (I also use Win7)

This is not quite recommended but done only as a last resort when all other attempts fail: try updating the firmware in the BIOS.

Someone who have new system prolly have latest updates i don't think he have problem there.

You always have to update your firmware and your bios no matter what if not you get in trouble eventually.

But i assume he have latest firmware and updated his bios so he can set the firmware.

Always update your drivers and bios to latest version.

That first part is not always true, especially nowadays.  Getting new technology to market is almost like an arms race nowadays.  "Get it to market, we'll patch it later" is the mentality.  Combine that with a product sitting on the shelf for a few months or longer before you buy it, and BIOS or drivers could have been updated multiple times between shipping to a retailer and your purchase.

It also depends on the board being used; some require updating, some don't need to, as long as one has to read carefully before updating the BIOS. The newer boards, of course, may require some corrections.

Personally, trying to assemble the first PC takes an insane amount of time figuring out what to buy and research, and even then on purchase day one still has to pick the right parts when there's none available.

It also depends on the board being used; some require updating, some don't need to, as long as one has to read carefully before updating the BIOS. The newer boards, of course, may require some corrections.

Personally, trying to assemble the first PC takes an insane amount of time figuring out what to buy and research, and even then on purchase day one still has to pick the right parts when there's none available.

I just do it the easy way now and buy a motherboard/CPU/memory combo, not much matching needed for other stuff.

My favorite example is of the somewhat rare 6-core Phenom processor, which requires one to find and buy a motherboard exactly compatible with it; this happened to a friend who owns this processor and bought the wrong board -- the result is that he couldn't get the PC to work properly, can't turn on.

My favorite example is of the somewhat rare 6-core Phenom processor, which requires one to find and buy a motherboard exactly compatible with it; this happened to a friend who owns this processor and bought the wrong board -- the result is that he couldn't get the PC to work properly, can't turn on.

LOL, I almost got one of those with my current rig.  Glad I went the cheaper 4 core route after hearing about the compatibility issues with those CPUs.  AMD dropped the ball there a little bit if you ask me. :)

That's great unless the store you're shopping at is like Fry's.  Then their bundles consist of a decent processor (not higher end though), middle of the road quality memory and a POS low end motherboard from a 3rd rate Chinese or Indonesian manufacturer.

Well simple, don't shop there, there's the whole worldwide internet to shop on, though if buying something over $100 I always prefer to by it from within my country, never even heard of Fry's myself.

Just heads up, looks like last (337.88 whql) official NVIDIA drivers were causing system lockups. Looks like new beta drivers are more stable.

It happened to me yesterday, my computer was on, then i left for dinner, when i came back the computer was frozen.

Thanks for the news, going to install them now :)