Is the latest RaceMenu version able to replace ECE?

NNS10

[...]

I never really had any problem with ECE and compatibility with other mods. But then again I don't use any custom races except the ygnord race - because there is no need for it. 

Well there's no 'need' for a lot of things when it comes to modding our game, that goes without saying.You get by with Ygnord, and I couldn't. I can get by without a vertex editor (though I'd like one), and other folk apparently can't live without it. 

Ygnord is fine but it's just one set of custom race folders, I'd rather have 10 of them, then I can set up all the vanilla races with their own custom textures and meshes. I'm also a  big fan of the elf races, but I like them to be quite exotic looking rather than just humans with pointy ears. Which is where EEO comes in. With Ygnord you're using the global tri morphs that come with ECE, EEO has it's own set of purpose modeled tri files and better still, they can be patched to work with all of CGE's additional sliders, I very much doubt the same can be achieved with Ygnord though I'd be genuinely happy to be proved wrong. 

So it's all 'swings and roundabouts', you can't really make generalisations about what kinds of people use which mod, it's never that simple. I'm probably every bit the tweaker you are, but my priorities are different to yours. 

I very much doubt the same can be achieved with Ygnord though I'd be genuinely happy to be proved wrong.

I don't know if you can tell, but this is just a vanilla Nord here. And I could've made her appear even more elven, but I was going for a half-Nord for her back story.

post-243307-0-30473000-1401296330_thumb.png

I didn't even use the vertices editor. I just changed the ear shape and used the Dark Elf racial slider. I tried that with the RM racial sliders, but it's buggy and makes monstrocities. :lol:

I very much doubt the same can be achieved with Ygnord though I'd be genuinely happy to be proved wrong.

I don't know if you can tell, but this is just a vanilla Nord here. And I could've made her appear even more elven, but I was going for a half-Nord for her back story.

attachicon.gifScreenShot15.PNG

I didn't even use the vertices editor. I just changed the ear shape and used the Dark Elf racial slider. I tried that with the RM racial sliders, but it's buggy and makes monstrocities. :lol:

Can't really tell from that shot, sorry. 

Here's one of my old dark elf toons using EEO in RM. I make mine less full on because that's how I like them to look personally, so she has only a very slight brow ridge. And I never use a vertex editor either so we're even  :rolleyes:

I can only speak from personal experience,  I used ECE for a good year before I moved to RM and I was never able to make an elf toon that I was happy with, always basically human with slanted eyes and pointy ears. That's not what EEO does, but you might only really appreciate that when you play with it properly yourself. 

ScreenShot609.jpg

ScreenShot715.jpg

Random question but does anyone have any advice on using vertex edit? It just seems to make my character's face more blocky. Do you use linear extrapolation or cubic? What do the sliders actually do? I.E. X, Y, and Z.

Also, does anyone have a guide on fixing the hazel eyes vampire glitch with TES5edit or CK?

Random question but does anyone have any advice on using vertex edit? It just seems to make my character's face more blocky. Do you use linear extrapolation or cubic? What do the sliders actually do? I.E. X, Y, and Z.

Also, does anyone have a guide on fixing the hazel eyes vampire glitch with TES5edit or CK?

CoordinateAxesNSEW.WhiteBackground.png

Here's one of my old dark elf toons using EEO in RM. I make mine less full on because that's how I like them to look personally, so she has only a very slight brow ridge. And I never use a vertex editor either so we're even  :rolleyes:

I can only speak from personal experience,  I used ECE for a good year before I moved to RM and I was never able to make an elf toon that I was happy with, always basically human with slanted eyes and pointy ears. That's not what EEO does, but you might only really appreciate that when you play with it properly yourself.

Here's my "Dunmer" that's really a Nord. I would've been back sooner, but my neighbor just got Skyrim on his PC and asked me to help him with getting it set up and modding it. I think he'll be here on this forum, too. :lol:

Keep in mind that I dialed the "Dunmer-ness" back a bit. I could've gone with a big, jutting chin and heavy brow ridges, but I also wanted her to be fairly attractive while still looking elven. And I went with something besides red eyes (I have Eyes of Beauty).

post-243307-0-74596600-1401316991_thumb.jpgpost-243307-0-68570600-1401316993_thumb.jpg

post-243307-0-29658500-1401316996_thumb.jpgpost-243307-0-54286600-1401316998_thumb.jpg

As you can see this really is a Nord. I just used the racial sliders in ECE to alter her appearance. The dark elf slider was maxed then I went in and used the sliders to reduce brow ridges, make a more attractive nose and to make the chin jut less and appear less witch-like. But I could go full on ugly if I wanted to.

Pffffft, now your just showing off. :P

LMAO! :lol:

The truth is I did that starting from scratch with a stock Nord preset and it didn't take more than 15 minutes to do it. Wanna' know why ECE hasn't been updated it 7 months? Because there isn't anything it's lacking besides overlays, but those seem to make Race Menu laggy anyway.

Here's my "Dunmer" that's really a Nord. I would've been back sooner, but my neighbor just got Skyrim on his PC and asked me to help him with getting it set up and modding it. I think he'll be here on this forum, too. :lol:

Keep in mind that I dialed the "Dunmer-ness" back a bit. I could've gone with a big, jutting chin and heavy brow ridges, but I also wanted her to be fairly attractive while still looking elven. And I went with something besides red eyes (I have Eyes of Beauty).

attachicon.gifScreenShot141.jpgattachicon.gifScreenShot142.jpg

attachicon.gifScreenShot143.jpgattachicon.gifScreenShot144.jpg

As you can see this really is a Nord. I just used the racial sliders in ECE to alter her appearance. The dark elf slider was maxed then I went in and used the sliders to reduce brow ridges, make a more attractive nose and to make the chin jut less and appear less witch-like. But I could go full on ugly if I wanted to.

I did the same thing but in reverse. This took me a bit to do.

post-47871-0-74118300-1401335895_thumb.jpg

Pffffft, now your just showing off. :P

LMAO! :lol:

The truth is I did that starting from scratch with a stock Nord preset and it didn't take more than 15 minutes to do it. Wanna' know why ECE hasn't been updated it 7 months? Because there isn't anything it's lacking besides overlays, but those seem to make Race Menu laggy anyway.

You got me there. The latest version of RM is a bit laggy. Still, it works for my needs. I must admit i do like the quality of the work some of you guys are turning out.......if only i could make mods that epic.

Well ... You have a problem because the latest version of Racemenu (2.7.2) don't lag for me. And i'm using a three years old gaming rig.

attachicon.gifScreenShot141.jpgattachicon.gifScreenShot142.jpg

attachicon.gifScreenShot143.jpgattachicon.gifScreenShot144.jpg

She's a nice exotic looking character. But to me she looks significantly more Nord than Dunmer. Maybe dial those racial sliders right back up and see what you come up with. 

Here's what a Dunmer should look like in my opinion, from one of my favourite screenshooters on Nexus. This is the sort of standard of look I'm always aspiring to when I use EEO to create elves. 

I'm a fan of these races particularly, which means I see some value in their original design but Beth's treatment is severe to the point of ugliness. EEO makes them look gloriously otherworldy, and it's easy to come up with something that is significantly not a default female with grey skin, slanted eyes and pointy ears but manages to be beautiful. I deliberately chose one of my own shots to demonstrate the bone structure, look at the shape of the nose, the cheekbones, the brow ridge. These effects are subtle but significant. And they're missing from your shots from what I can tell. 

edit: And I'm allowing myself to get drawn into something that, with respect to you GV, is becoming a bit tiring and ultimately pointless. You don't have to work so hard to justify your use of ECE,  any more than I need to justify my use of EEO. To each his/her own. 

I don't know why, but I tried to return to ECE and when I tweaked the character's face it seemed to be so laggy. Perhaps it and RM were using different ways to edit the face, with different .DLLs?

however, I find RaceMenu does not zoom in enough to allow for detailing. 

The best way to go for a really good manual zoom while editing is to open the console, type in fov and the amount of zoom needed.

I only use RaceMenu for the texture overlays. Unless you make multiple player personas, you can take you ECE character, install RaceMenu without replacing anything, and utilize the texture overlays. Most slides work, however, I find RaceMenu does not zoom in enough to allow for detailing. 

The new camera settings on RaceMenu 2.7+ make zooming not only a breeze, but you can turn your characters around, and you can also take the camera all the way down to their legs/feet, etc. 

I only use RaceMenu for the texture overlays. Unless you make multiple player personas, you can take you ECE character, install RaceMenu without replacing anything, and utilize the texture overlays. Most slides work, however, I find RaceMenu does not zoom in enough to allow for detailing. 

The new camera settings on RaceMenu 2.7+ make zooming not only a breeze, but you can turn your characters around, and you can also take the camera all the way down to their legs/feet, etc. 

Yeah the new pan and zoom stuff rocks. I've only recently started using the skeleton plugin and this feature was a godsend, no more wresting with the console just to get a workable view. 

This is where expired totally wins me over.  It's a fair argument that ECE is pretty much complete hence the lack of updates in 7 months or so, but RM isn't just trying to be ECE, it's gaining on it with every update and it offers features that ECE doesn't, and we modders should appreciate that sort of ongoing commitment because it's not all that common really. 

She's a nice exotic looking character. But to me she looks significantly more Nord than Dunmer. Maybe dial those racial sliders right back up and see what you come up with. 

Here's what a Dunmer should look like in my opinion, from one of my favourite screenshooters on Nexus. This is the sort of standard of look I'm always aspiring to when I use EEO to create elves. 

I'm a fan of these races particularly, which means I see some value in their original design but Beth's treatment is severe to the point of ugliness. EEO makes them look gloriously otherworldy, and it's easy to come up with something that is significantly not a default female with grey skin, slanted eyes and pointy ears but manages to be beautiful. I deliberately chose one of my own shots to demonstrate the bone structure, look at the shape of the nose, the cheekbones, the brow ridge. These effects are subtle but significant. And they're missing from your shots from what I can tell. 

edit: And I'm allowing myself to get drawn into something that, with respect to you GV, is becoming a bit tiring and ultimately pointless. You don't have to work so hard to justify your use of ECE,  any more than I need to justify my use of EEO. To each his/her own.

Just so you know, b3ast1e, I am neither trying to make this a poor conversation nor trying to make you or myself justify using anything. This is just a conversation, one which shows there's more than one way to skin a cat. ;) The point here is that EEO isn't compatible with ECE. OK, but there's an alternative that I see and that's to just not use EEO since the same (or very similar) results can be attained by using ECE and it's racial sliders on any race you'd like. Two means to the same end is all. I think it's good that more mod users know this and realize they have options.

I did take your advice and make her appear to be a more lore-friendly Dunmer, though. :D Mostly because I am a curious fellow and I kind of enjoy character creation. So what do you think of my "Nord" now?

post-243307-0-16330700-1401427732_thumb.jpgpost-243307-0-85226500-1401427730_thumb.jpg

post-243307-0-22491800-1401427729_thumb.jpgpost-243307-0-11899600-1401427728_thumb.jpg

She's passable I suppose.

Like I said before, I do have the newest version of RM installed on two profiles. And I do have EEO's archive here but I have never used it before. I will use it now, though, because you've piqued my curiosity. It would be especially nice if it overhauled all the elves in Skyrim and not just my character.

Just so you know, b3ast1e, I am neither trying to make this a poor conversation nor trying to make you or myself justify using anything. This is just a conversation, one which shows there's more than one way to skin a cat. ;) The point here is that EEO isn't compatible with ECE. OK, but there's an alternative that I see and that's to just not use EEO since the same (or very similar) results can be attained by using ECE and it's racial sliders on any race you'd like. Two means to the same end is all. I think it's good that more mod users know this and realize they have options.

I did take your advice and make her appear to be a more lore-friendly Dunmer, though. :D Mostly because I am a curious fellow and I kind of enjoy character creation. So what do you think of my "Nord" now?

attachicon.gifScreenShot148.jpgattachicon.gifScreenShot147.jpg

attachicon.gifScreenShot146.jpgattachicon.gifScreenShot145.jpg

Like I said before, I do have the newest version of RM installed on two profiles. And I do have EEO's archive here but I have never used it before. I will use it now, though, because you've piqued my curiosity. It would be especially nice if it overhauled all the elves in Skyrim and not just my character.

There is a mod for that on the Nexus.

attachicon.gifScreenShot148.jpgattachicon.gifScreenShot147.jpg

attachicon.gifScreenShot146.jpgattachicon.gifScreenShot145.jpg

There's always more than one way to skin a cat. I completely agree that it's fun to try these things out for ourselves, I did too, we all should. It's whether we're satisfied with the end results that's the totally subjective part, it's eye of the beholder stuff.

I'm reminded of the 'CBBE Bodyslide vs everything else' argument. Someone says "I can do sevenbase easily, see?!" and UNP folk say "but it's not the same, this is what 7b looks like!" and so on.

EEO uses tri morphs that have been purpose modeled by Nuska to achieve a more refined than vanilla elf racial look, so that's a unique head shape, unique eyes, unique nose etc, as a base to begin from. What you're proposing is that you can do the same thing that Nuska did in 3DSMax or Blender, but just by applying ECE's  racial sliders to a nord female head. 

The point I'm making is, you might be happy with the result but that has nothing to say about whether I or anybody else would be. And no amount of you and me posting shots is going to lead to a conclusion. 

edit: and yep, EEO comes with a big list of facegen nifs that cover practically all the notable  elf NPCs you'll ever meet, that's what makes it particularly special and an absolute must have mod for me. 

yep, EEO comes with a big list of facegen nifs that cover practically all the notable  elf NPCs you'll ever meet, that's what makes it particularly special and an absolute must have mod for me.

That's good to know. I will be trying it out for myself, maybe even testing it today. I have a couple newly started profiles/characters using RM so I can do that. Gotta' love Mod Organizer! :lol:

yep, EEO comes with a big list of facegen nifs that cover practically all the notable  elf NPCs you'll ever meet, that's what makes it particularly special and an absolute must have mod for me.

That's good to know. I will be trying it out for myself, maybe even testing it today. I have a couple newly started profiles/characters using RM so I can do that. Gotta' love Mod Organizer! :lol:

What's EEO?

Ethereal Elven Overhaul. It's on the sight we can't say here. :P

I didn't get around to testing it tody. Or messing with my Skyrim at all. My neighbor, however, got some hands on instruction from me on how to mod his Skyrim game.

Doh, guys, I would have liked such an enormous interesting discussion over those two mods (RM, ECE) as I had to make the decision which one to use. In my question thread not half of the info was told in compare to here :-)

Nevertheless I chose RM because of the plugin support (alone Freckle Mania I don't want to miss) and the fact that vertex edit will come.

Both mods are somewhat laggy especially when you overload them by Hair and Eye mods. RM can do the same as ECE concerning morphs (if we leave vertex edit out for now), but in ECE it seems as if you are able to accomplish certain results a lot faster (RM sliders are somewhat a mess). You are able to copy the ECE face expressions, but you need more time to adjust them while needing a lot more time with working through sliders and slider combinations.

There are a few body shape sliders missing in RM in compare to ECE, especially the longer neck slider I do miss.

Doh, guys, I would have liked such an enormous interesting discussion over those two mods (RM, ECE) as I had to make the decision which one to use. In my question thread not half of the info was told in compare to here :-)

There are a few body shape sliders missing in RM in compare to ECE, especially the longer neck slider I do miss.

That's my biggest complaint with RaceMenu.  I can deal with the multiple sliders and messy interface but not being able to adjust neck length, arms, legs and waist are what bother me most.  I do know there is a mod you can add that will allow adjustments to the skeleton but it seems to add an enormous amount of sliders that would junk up the already crowded interface.

I am running my latest game with RaceMenu simply because I wanted to use the overlay system.  The PC turned out okay but I'm going back to ECE for the next character/adventure.

Archived