That's ******* cheating!

Does anyone notice how enemies are stuck on pieces of geometry and a few seconds later they're miraculously not? I mean it's basic physics: If an object or a person is stuck in something, they're stuck in it. Yet Fallout says "**** you!" to reality and makes something or someone not stuck. I noticed this problem being chased down by a Super Mutie Berserker in Vault 87. Near the entrance to the living quarters, they were somehow alerted to my presence. I waited for a bit to come to me, and later decided to go a little further. When I spotted the Berserker, and after taking a punch in the face, I made a run to the entrance. Then I saw that due to its height, it doesn't fit through the door. Then instantly it went right through the door. It was "teleported" to the other side is more like it. That's ******* cheating! Thankfully, being the oppurtunist bastard that I am, I threw a couple of grenades, screaming (in my mind) "Munch on these, sucka." That cripled him and the guy behind him. Then I laid down some "super-heated plasmic hurt" on them and killed them. All in a day's work.

So I really like to know. Is there a way to remind Fallout that little piece of knowledge so it doesn't cheat anymore? Aside from the fact that I'm bad. In a good way. Sorta'.

If you haven't noticed, video game physics (especially in fallout) are very far removed from reality. Disregarding that the fallout universe works on entirely different scientific principles to begin with.

In short, no, there's nothing you can do to 'fix' physics issues like that. NPCs are going to teleport, especially if/when they get stuck in terrain and the engine needs to 'free' them.

Guest carywinton

Prideslayer is correct on this, especially with regard to Havoc and Gamebryo. When the "event" starts Mutie sees quarry, starts to chase enemy or quarry, the engine will "assist" him to breach any normal barriers that are within that cell, and even sometimes out of it. Yep I agree, breaks the laws of physics, yes it sure does, but then most games do, that's what makes them far more fun and interesting. If they were ruled by our current reality and understanding, then the game would be as Dr. Braun would say, "Ultimately Boring!". :P

Yeah, i see a lot of teleporting people in Skyrim too. They get stuck, and then the game decides to just move them to where they're trying to go :shrug:

But atleast Fallout doesn't have omnicient enemies able to ninja-dodge shots you make while hidden :lol:

Yeah, i see a lot of teleporting people in Skyrim too. They get stuck, and then the game decides to just move them to where they're trying to go :shrug:

Skyrim is far worse thanks to the ruggedness of the terrain. Imagine stairs that are more difficult to walk up than the bare mountain slope.. doh! ;)

But atleast Fallout doesn't have omnicient enemies able to ninja-dodge shots you make while hidden :lol:

Well fallout has firearms, and as we all know bullets travel faster than light (lasers), so yeah.. ;)

Personally, I see teleporting issues like that as a reality check. Think about it. In the example given, the super mutant was too tall for the door and got stuck for a moment before teleporting through. In "reality" (work with me here, I know we're stretching "reality" with 9 ft tall mutants to begin with) we have this trick that all life forms do called "ducking". Since the game doesn't have that animation or mechanic for the enemy creature, it teleports past the obstacle instead.

Same applies in Skyrim. In the real world, enemies would turn sideways to squeeze between trees or rocks or whatever, climb over obstacles, duck under low hanging tree branches, etc. Since the game doesn't have those animations, they teleport past the obstacle instead.

At least, you can "cheese" NPCs and various other monsters with the wondrous jumping over obstacles. No teleporting, there.

If they were ruled by our current reality and understanding, then the game would be as Dr. Braun would say, "Ultimately Boring!".

My main concern is: You think you outsmarted your opponent then the game comes along basically cheats. I mean, I don't want every aspect of reality to be present in games. Things don't necessarily hurt you but gives you an option to take into account is fine. It's the cheating that I don't like. There are always mods that aim to add realism to games like Fallout and Skyrim by adding needs or environmental hazards. For example, Fallout Wanderers Edition adds basic needs, like eating, sleep and thirst, to the game. Once I figured out the mod came with a config, I just turned them off. I don't need that shit!

The mod isn't "cheating". It's moving an NPC to a position that it should be able to move to, but cant, due to limitations in collision detection.

One day processors and stuff will be fast enough that game authors can get rid of things like hitboxes and doing collisions with some overlapping cubes and instead do direct vertex collisions and deformation, but we're a ways off from that. ;)

If it were real 'cheating' then they'd be able to teleport next to you in other inaccessible places like the tops of vehicles/buildings and stuff. They can't do that -- they just teleport when something has gone wrong with the navmesh, clipping, terrain.. etc.

I only THANKS the game for teleporting actors in these circumstances... or I would never be able to end a quest involving some npc moving, I would see continuously npcs getting stuck during packages, I would lose followers more than I could lose money from a hole in the pocket, I would cheat myself shooting at enemies because they're stuck because of the navmesh, etc.etc.... god bless the engine acting like that!!! :)

Yeah I can remember some of the older games where enemies could jam in doorways. Or the corpses prevented you traveling through the doorwas after killing them.

I remember playing Ultima on the C64 a friend and I actually made fences across the world map by running from monsters to specific spots then leaving the treasuer chests in rows, we actually fenced the whirlpool portal into a bay with floating chests from kiling sea monsters :)

I had that problem and just learned that I have to be a reasonable distance in front of them. If I am far enough ahead of them they "give up" the chase when I enter buildijngs or other areas. If they are right on top of me .. fugetaboutit.

The alternative would be a game that would have lots of stuck NPC including heaven forbid a companion that won't go anywhere else. There has to be a fix that won't break the game engine and cause a crash or make you have to revert to a previous save.

Can't they duck/crouch?

Realistically, yes, but as Pride pointed out they just don't have animations. Also collision tends to be smart enough to position legs when going up stairs and inclines, but not smart enough to duck at something overhead in a believable manner.

Dunno, maybe you guys just haven't figured out how to console hack your life yet. I used to be like you guys, stuck in the commute. Now I just prid myself and coc workhellhole and zap, there I am. I highly recommend it. Once I figure out the baseID for $100 USD I'm set for life.

No, I'm not going to tell you how to open the console. I can only lead you to the door, you have to open it yourself.

No, you can't touch my tilde key. Pervert.

Guest carywinton

Next time sneak allot and use plasma land mines, muhahaha! Take that you stinking Muties! Especially in Vault 87 before you get Faulk's, there are many wondrous locations to take advantage of, most of the Muties are standing at the top of various stairs, I usually sneak up to just before the corner and start setting mines moving backwards. Then I run up to the stairs , " Go blubbbua! with my tongue out at the Muties and run past my mines, turn around and watch the plasma show! :P:D

Archived