problem with nexus?

Is it really illegal to ask for donations on creating mods? Is it illegal to pay someone to make a mod for you? (No sex involved)

It is not illegal, it just undermines the old spirit of free modding and free sharing.

When the dollar for a download of a mod was in the debate for the first time in 2003 the suitors got a loud "Fuck off!" echo back by the game communities.

Today things are different cos people are different, by far weaker, more willing to do what is taught from above, if you get what I mean.

Needless to say, I'd be frakkin rich if I'd got a dollar for a single download. However, the great Warez sites would again pick up your mod, modlet or whatever as they did in the past and you can't do anything against it. The pay mod was a stillborn baby in earlier days, and an international intervention force would be necessary to feed the remake up to puberty, I fear.

That's interesting. I kind of thought things were headed more towards paid subscription modding with all of their strict requirements on permissions and big concerns about copyrights. I mean, if the modding community wasn't ever going to go that route, then why the big deal over permissions? We could be enjoying a more collectively creative mod community instead of this mine, mine, me, mine, me, that's mine... smog. Not that I'm against personal motivation; I just prefer more one or the other instead of this inbetween situation. Are we a team or are we competing?

Granted, I'm a drifter and not really one of the we. So you modders can speak better for yourselves and correct me.

Is open modding kind of gone yet compensation for modders is still off the table then?

Edit/PostScript: Both worlds would be kewl, IMO. Have "legit" mods that aren't free and then everything else be, well, whatever it wants.

I can only speak of the past. I've started modding in 2002, discovered my talents and increased my skills so that as of 2003 I'd been chosen to enter GPG's Hall of Fame. We were full of passion in those days, often working 8 hours per day and more just for the pleasure of everyone, sharing everything for free, giving credits to the owners when we used their strings and templates. We had no problems, everyone was happy, even if there was no endorsement system at all - the download rate proved enough for us. Expecting money for our work was miles above our heads. That's why we didn't support the strange intentions in 2003 to get some bucks for the stuff, instead we took it as an insult. Free we'd been and free we delivered the stuff.

It was not before 2006 when I got a job as freelancer for GPG that money came into play. From that moment on I stopped giving for free. And I've never changed that. I've played my part in the free zone, it should be part of the next gamer generations to continue with the free stuff. What you see here is just one career of so many, and not even an important one.

However, the time of the unpaid free is over, the age of the paid slaves has come. I see it on the net, I can smell it in the air.

Today modders intend to skip stages in the career, so it seems - getting paid without ever entering Bethesda's Hall of Fame for example or another, the stepping stone to a classical designer career, learned from scratch. This too early reification of the own skills, the change of passion not for glory but for money leads to an army of mod workers for the game companies that in the majority of cases won't get enough money to pay the flat rate used for modding.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Is it really illegal to ask for donations on creating mods? Is it illegal to pay someone to make a mod for you? (No sex involved)

its not illegal in so many words until you get into how he chooses to recognize his supporters. Soliciting tips is one thing but giving them extras could easily be seen as selling them parts of his creations..I'm not saying its highly illegal or immoral just a Violation of the EULA and a potential bad place to be in for the modder

excerpt from the CK EULA

"1. RESTRICTIONS ON USE The Editor is and shall remain the copyrighted property of Bethesda Softworks and/or its designee(s) and You shall take no action inconsistent with such title or ownership. You may not cause or permit the sale or other commercial distribution or commercial exploitation (e.g., by renting, licensing, sublicensing, leasing, disseminating, uploading, downloading, transmitting, whether on a pay-per-play basis or otherwise) of any New Materials without the express prior written consent of an authorized representative of Bethesda Softworks. This includes distributing New Materials as part of any compilation You and/or other Product users may create. You shall not create any New Materials that infringe upon the rights of others, or that are libelous, defamatory, harassing, or threatening, and You shall comply with all applicable laws in connection with the New Materials. You are only permitted to distribute the New Materials, without charge (i.e., on a strictly non-commercial basis), to other authorized users who have purchased the Product, solely for use with such users’ own authorized copies of such Product and in accordance with and subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and all applicable laws. If You distribute or otherwise make available New Materials, You automatically grant to Bethesda Softworks the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, sublicensable right and license under all applicable copyrights and intellectual property rights laws to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform, display, distribute and otherwise exploit and/or dispose of the New Materials (or any part of the New Materials) in any way Bethesda Softworks, or its respective designee(s), sees fit. You also waive and agree never to assert against Bethesda Softworks or its affiliates, distributors or licensors any moral rights or similar rights, however designated, that You may have in or to any of the New Materials. If You commit any breach of this Agreement, Your right to use the Editor under this Agreement shall automatically terminate, without notice."

edit: and depending on possible collusion aspects of laws a bad spot for Nexus or any one who hosts files in such a situation

The legal admissibility of an EULA is a myth.

The handling in court differs from country to country' date=' the value is severely limited in any case.

So what? Don't make a religion out of bs.

[/quote']

sadly I live in the states and very few of our laws will break that part of the EULA :P I don't make religion out of it I just realize the limitations of where I live and use my head to avoid being beheaded..its a good policy in the south west :P

Well, I don't live in the United Company. Though in connection with beheading and EULA I'd recommend to spend some time on the Eighth Amendment to your Constitution. Punishment must not by its severity be degrading to human dignity - and beheading is.

Well' date=' I don't live in the United Company. Though in connection with beheading and EULA I'd recommend to spend some time on the Eighth Amendment to your Constitution. Punishment must not by its severity be degrading to human dignity - and beheading is.

[/quote']

then you've also failed to note that amendment also would prevent us from engaging in torture and enhanced interrogation techniques..yet hasn't stopped us yet :P yay for squirmy legal issues

Since Nexus does have some hosting in the US, US law does indeed apply to anything hosted on the US servers, which is to say a lot of it. The UK has similar laws, iirc, and EULAs are definitely not worth the trouble of getting dismissed in court, especially against a company like Zenimax. Full stop, selling parts of a mod, even if it's just a spot in a pile of books, is against the law in the US at very least, which would land Nexus in hot water for hosting it. It would do this even if they didn't know about it, because as the host they're responsible. It's how places like Megaupload have been taken down over illegal content hosted on their servers. People might not like it, but it's how things work, and there's not a damn thing we can do about it, so it's best to follow along for now, and wait for a chance to strike back.

thesapien, if you've got a problem with me, perhaps we should discuss it in private. My stance is just that anyone that charges for anything in a mod is a criminal, because they're making money off of things they do not own, as much as they wish they did. I don't have a problem with people ripping models and textures for free mods because they're just that: free. When you start saying "If you donate you get a book in the hideout with your name on it!" that's crossing a very fine line that can and will get people fines, and at worst, time in a white-collar prison.

Well' date=' I don't live in the United Company. Though in connection with beheading and EULA I'd recommend to spend some time on the Eighth Amendment to your Constitution. Punishment must not by its severity be degrading to human dignity - and beheading is.

[/quote']

then you've also failed to note that amendment also would prevent us from engaging in torture and enhanced interrogation techniques..yet hasn't stopped us yet :P yay for squirmy legal issues

Me thinks the "failure" is on us in the US.

But the overall point we're getting at here seems to be that written laws and agreements that anybody can write are always open to those who interpret and enforce those written documents. In the EU, there's more precedence for mocking user agreements. In the US, we pretend like they are actually agreed upon with a handshake, though it's my understanding that a judge still needs to go over the facts of the case and determine what is reasonable and what is b.s. As with a lot of things, it depends. But expect judges in the US to be corrupt, as is much of the population.

Legalomaniacs that flourishing call for a strict public obedience of self penned licence agreements are scating away on the thin ice of taking the juridically inexperienced customers for a ride, viz to insist on the King's new clothes per decret only to face in court at the latest the bitter medial truth that self-proclaimed kings are usually frakkin naked when it gets straight down to the nitty-gritty. Children and fools tell the truth:

Selling pigs in pokes and refusing returns on open pokes is a smashing lawsuit waiting to happen to both software companies and retailers.

I wonder why we don't have to buy our car or alike in this fucked-up way.

a lot of people here seem to be angry/hateful of nexus. I just want to know why? I use nexus for most of my mods' date=' since it has the most widdest collection and the best overview. what has nexus done that causes so much angry emotions here?

[/quote']

It is very annoying to say the least, because I don't know how long I went with my phone being shut completely down. Didn't realize it until I went to make a text or call.

I am using Rom: Full toro IML74K ota eng bigxie 2-2 and lean kernel 1.6.1.

Girls pictures

LOLWHUT!?

Looks like we have a spammer at the bottom of page 34

Was that supposed to be "at the top of page 35", some sort of self-referencing irony to make us ponder the meaning of meaning? Maybe you posted while looking at the last page but got bumped to the next?

Spammer's Quote

Incased you missed it

a lot of people here seem to be angry/hateful of nexus. I just want to know why? I use nexus for most of my mods' date=' since it has the most widdest collection and the best overview. what has nexus done that causes so much angry emotions here?

[/quote']

It is very annoying to say the least, because I don't know how long I went with my phone being shut completely down. Didn't realize it until I went to make a text or call.

I am using Rom: Full toro IML74K ota eng bigxie 2-2 and lean kernel 1.6.1.

Girls pictures