problem with nexus?

Guest GingerTom

And you can get banned for stating the truth very quickly over there or if you say that a mod is good you can end up being banned because you didn't say it was the greatest thing ever made (or words to that effect.) I'm not kidding.

Guest GingerTom

There's no community over there anymore. No pleasant conversations between friends allowed anymore. No conversation at all--unless you want to take the chance of some mod taking offence at your words and banning you without explanation or recourse.

It's a bit like going into a store where the owners look at you as potential trouble right from the get-go; they hide behind bullet-proof glass and just want you to get what you came for and then get out: "We're not here to be friendly, pal, we're a business plain and simple. Just pay us your money and get out (become a premium member or watch our ads) or we'll pull out this great big ban-gun and put you out."

Simplified: Show me the money.

When people are talking about the Nexus' date=' do they mean New Vegas Nexus or all of Nexus (Skyrim, Dragon Age, etc)? Are they all moderated by the same people?

[/quote']

Its all the same network, but people mainly refer to the forums that are attached to the overall Nexus network.

The nexus network has one primary flaw, whihc as noted already, its administration/moderation team. The moderation team does not understand how to moderate without bias or evenhandedness. As stated prevously by others, Nexus moderators will often ban on a whim and without consideration. Its a side effect of the site growing to its current size with a largely untrained and non-professional Admin/mod team.

Think of it this way. Its sort of a sical club over there. Either you're part of the protected group where you will alwyas be given the benefit of the doubt, or you're shark-chum.

Another issue most of us have with nexus is its puritain stance on adult content. Some time ago they changed thier policy to fluch out "most" adult content which drove a lot of modders out of the community. The staff insists that the policy was to only police the screenshots being submitted (because some nimrods did try and post hardcore screens up) but becase of a lack of communication/cohession within the moderation team game mods were also affectd by the purge.

To download mods, its not a bad place. I just refuse to be a participant in thier forum since I can't agree with thier method of moderation and "keeping the peace". Its one thing to be an asshole to everyone equally. That way you're just a fucking asshole. Its something all together different when you start playing favors to folks and let them bend the rules while others get banned for the same infraction.

Guest GingerTom
Its something all together different when you start playing favors to folks and let them bend the rules while others get banned for the same infraction.

Perfect--that's the problem in a nut shell, too many mods that are nuts.

Its a side effect of the site growing to its current size with a largely untrained and non-professional Admin/mod team.

^

^

^

^

This is the answer.

Now I have never participated in the Nexus community, more than having an account registred to be able to download mods, but I recognize this from other communities that I've been part of. Power corrups, even if it is such a silly and really inconsiquential power as that of being a moderator at an internet forum.

i'm a leecher myself, almost never coment on any mod in tesnexus, i just download stuff i need for my own mods... like making darma an argonoid or making the two main elf races less squarefaced and more natural so you actually feel like playing with them (mainly for boethia quest and get more "greetings bosmer/highelf" stuff)

[spoiler= bosmer race redone]ScreenShot7.jpg

[spoiler=vanilla breton as smart breton]ScreenShot8.jpg

[spoiler= my remake of Rohssan]ScreenShot3.jpg

[spoiler=Dar-Ma as argonoid]ScreenShot5.jpg

dontcha worry, x117 races are excluded of XXX mods due to config

it was a lot of tinkering to transfer Angela (my argonoid character face)to Dar-Ma, almost 30 mins

I commented on one of the eleventy trillion ENB settings "mods" uploaded every day that it "Looks too bright and too blurry" and asked if the uploader was using a FOV of 100.

Over 100 downvotes within 5 minutes.

It was then I knew I had to look out for other mod resources.

Guest GingerTom

Yes, you're only allowed to tell people over there that their mods are perfect out of the box--anything else and you're in serious trouble.

EDIT: Well, I just noticed (reading the replies over) that I repeated myself in the same thread.

See what Nexus will do to your mind? Huh, do you? :D

I never got banned for this but I downloaded some piece of shit mod (that apparently works well for everyone else) that was supposed to make it so that the game is in "fake windowed mode" so it's easier to Alt Tab without crashing. It doesn't work with Wyre Bash though and it completely fucked my game over. I removed my ini and even all mods and it was still broken so I had to reinstall, which also meant reinstalling FCOM Reconvergence (which is time consuming). Needless to say I was fucking pissed and I left a nasty comment along the lines of "Thanks for breaking my game. Worst mod on Nexus". Well it now has a shit load of negative votes. I don't care though. Fuck the Nexus, it's only good for finding mods and then getting the fuck out. I tried to chat on their IRC and forums and everyone is so hostile and you can get banned for literally anything, even mentioning Lovers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with nexus as everyone else, but I take it a step beyond.

I am tired of the majority of modders there as well. You heard me right, the modders. I'd get banned there for saying this, and I'll probably catch heat from a few people here as well, but it needs to be explained.

When you take a 'free to use' mesh from this guy, a 'free to use' texture from that guy, put them in a box in an esp you created with the 'free to use' GECK after touching them up in 'free to use' GIMP and 'free to use' Blender, and then state "No sharing this or uploading it anywhere else or doing anything with it at all without my permission" you, sir, are an asshole. A monumental asshole.

You know why most of them are such giant assholes?

Their #1 measure of self-worth is the number of downloads/thumbs-ups on their file(s) on nexus. If you mod their work and make it better, or more suited to your playstyle, or anything else -- you are 'stealing' their stats/fame/glory/whatever.

I have as much respect for copyright and IP as anyone else, and more than most by a fair margin. I understand the desire and need to protect your work. When your 'work' is a tiny tweak, built on the labors of countless others before you, who all gave their work away for free (copyleft/public domain/creative commons/whatever), you're an asshole if you don't provide the same courtesy to the community that the community provided to you.

Ok.. rant off.. sorry. :)

Prideslayer, you are spot on with that rant and to expound on it the moderators and many members have adopted the mentality that this is acceptable behavior going so far as to ban or neg rep anyone who voices logic or reasonable objection to such behavior.

All in all it is very sad. Like others I show up, leech and go away without making any noise.

Which is why Wrye' date=' one of the greatest modders for Morrowind and Oblivion of all time, who we all owe so much to, wrote this:-

http://wryemusings.com/Cathedral%20vs.%20Parlor.html

I've always believed in the Cathedral school of modding.

[/quote']

Thanks for that link. That has to be one of the most enlightened individuals on this planet! What a well written piece! There is just too much sound logic and pearls of wisdom to swallow in one reading :)

Why the hell can't we have folks like that in congress instead of the idiots we do now....sorry that is another subject altogether :dodgy:

my 2 pennies worth... nexus is a great resource. If i had not found loogie taking over the tryout thread and finding(in a round a bout way)the link for loverslab dunno where i'd be. On the other hand i've noticed a lot of files being taking down or under review for unknown reason . I was going to download some of speedbuster's armour creations i found at an earlier date then found them taken down??? WTH there was nothing offensive about them so why? I'm not great forums person but there does seem to be a great double standard there dependent as to who the moderator is at any given moment

Sorry, but the Nexus is no resource. It's just an empty vessel filled with resources made by members, often members of the largest group over there, the banned. Any similar server group would do nicely. Though if the next Dark Lord would ever ask me to join his group of ten to build up a dream he'd get the kick in the ass directly - back to the shadows. I'm no longer fourteen and dumb...

So, if you need them, by means of whatever, use them, suck them dry, and fade away without a word cos they aren't worth it, the modders are.

Just my 2 cts after 10 years as a wood elf among bigmouthed orcs.

I remember when i found tesnexus back in 09 and it was awesome, but then the site got famous and now it's a shithole.

Everyone is so fucking hostile, you can't even ask anything.

I know that not everyone is a selfish prick but most of the modders are (there).

Not bitching or hating, just saying how it is.

Thank god i found lovers.

The all around atmosphere of this site is alltogether just more welcoming than nexus. You ask a question in nexus and you get called a dumbass. Lotta people with sticks up their asses there... Im glad i stumbled upon this site the community is far more mature. The mods especially. The posting that dante did about 2pac was total troll and it was stupid immature.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. New to the board, and ironically, having this same inner dialog right now. I was a modder and member on the Nexus since 2007. I had several fairly popular mods.

One day last week, I happened into the chatroom, and unaware of what a fateful visit it would be, I chimed into a conversation about how one guy saw the Elder Scrolls series as opposed to Fallout. I posted a link to a blog about Skyrim, and I didn't *proofread* this guy's site of course, so I didn't notice the word "shit" appeared int he the blog somewhere. Good Ole' Dante sniffed it out though, and bam. That was it. Booted form chat. When I told him calmly but clearly how I felt that was pretty immoderate for a moderator, given his sig line has "Equal Opportunity Ass-Kicker" blazoned on every post he makes, I was BANNED from the Nexus site by IP, my mods deleted.

Done.

So...wow. It turns out I am a professional web developer, so as it happens, I *could* create a new *Nexus* type thing, where grownups could once again enjoy a community like this one, and where modders could post their stuff without fear of instant and unforseen reprisals for various tiny infractions.

The thing is...would anyone use it?

If this group thinks there is the support for something like this (it takes time and a little money) I and a few volunteers could seriously make it happen. But I don't want to waste the effort. Would any modders here use it?

EDIT: I could front the money to get it going. Despite what the Great-Dark-One and his minions try to tell you, disk space is pretty cheap these days, and I can get unlimited bandwidth. My concern would be making a modding resource and then having no modders except me. :-(

Cheers,

Apostate

I think many people would if your site has the same quality while offering some things nexus does not have. Maybe more adult theme site without being so prone to ban people could be enough of a draw to get some people and you would get modders from here but some people would stay at nexus because they want a more pg site. You would still need same good parts of nexus which I think are

1. direct downloads

2. good sorting system to find mods by categories and upload/update/download/endorsements

3.decent mod selection (hard to have right off the bat maybe)

If you had all that you would be a very good nexus rival atleast.

I looked through the banned section at nexus and there was quite a number of people some banned for not very serious stuff like saying they had bought game but use a pirated version for bypassing steam. Or saying something negative (not with foul language even or obvious trolling) about the community at nexus. Much of the rest was people posting nude images,foul language and people talking crap about anime mods.

Thruthfully I think most of the people are being banned because they did stupid stuff don't say you pirated game, don't post nude images in wrong place(easy to do there by accident of course), don't troll modders because you don't like anime etc. and they would not have got banned.

Banning people all the time because they make a mistake or had a bad attitude in one post is kinda harsh. Thats why I like it around here its way more easy going and more friendly. Not that its always that way here I did see a couple people battling it out about penis size :P

funny as that is and sounds they were pretty serious so its not like people here are always 100% understanding/friendly either. I think if lovers labs stays the way it is; small friendly and focused mainly on adult mods its better off rather then trying to become more like nexus thought.