problem with nexus?

Did anyone click on the Extreme Tracker' date=' then explore what it has to offer? Non-paying customers can click on an IP and get further details on country and city, browser and operating system, if javascript is enabled... I mean, I just did this and felt like I was spying on people, like seeing that somebody in Korea just came from the cafenaver website.

[/quote']Most trackers do that, thesapien. I used to use one called SiteMeter that showed me IP addresses as well as referring urls, countries, and all that jazz - it even showed me screen resolution, operating system and browser used - and that was the free version. I guarantee that the LoversLab staff can see our IPs (or at least the admin can). The issue here is keeping such information private. It's my opinion that if one operates a website it's that person's duty to keep a lid on that info. Even if making it public wasn't unethical, I'd think the webmaster would open himself up for liabilities in case someone's IP information was used for nefarious purposes.

I was just surprised to see that any visitor can do this. Why? Nexus is already using Google Analytics, Quantcast, and BySellAds for advertisers. It likely already has tracking info provided by its host, as well. Tacking on ExtremeTracking is like making sure the world knows, too. Probably like you said, to show off even more, but at the security risk of its users.

Guest GingerTom

I can say that having had a few web sites in my day that I made sure that NO ONE except myself could see that kind of info--of course I could even see what colour underwear you were wearing but that's beside the point. :blush:

Lulz @ this. http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/597076-ibakeubercakez-reinstated/

This thread is being stalked' date=' methinks.

[/quote']

Or, maybe we've been smoking a bit too much good stuff and everything is a sign of, wait, did you hear that? Nevermind, but it is possible that the user pointed out the timeline of events on their own and got things corrected, no?

Why not just ask, are any admins/owners from Nexus reading this? You're welcome to pop in with amendments and such. What's wrong? Afraid of not having any power here?

Maybe they are dulled and lulled into a false sense of security by the ease to use the site for downloading mods and being part of a community. Unaware that the Nexus and all its members can be hacked and attacked at anytime. Certainly everybody who openly protests against their malpractices will get insta-banned for 'causing trouble'. With the usual reasons as explanation: 'Pirate', 'trolling', 'nudity in imageshare'...

The only reason I can figure that he leaves it is either a status trophy to show how "incredible" the traffic is, or as a gimmick to get advertisers salivating.

This discussion you linked to, loder, clearly drives the point home how Scott feels about it, it is a status trophy to him, it does serve to reel in advertisers. Nothing wrong with that except for the fact it's public. Putting down any concern about security like he does ("clueless about how the Internet works") is just oblivious to the very real danger he is exposing his sites and all their members to. Just "fear mongering", all right.

The only reason I can figure that he leaves it is either a status trophy to show how "incredible" the traffic is' date=' or as a gimmick to get advertisers salivating.[/quote']

This discussion you linked to, loder, clearly drives the point home how Scott feels about it, it is a status trophy to him, it does serve to reel in advertisers. Nothing wrong with that except for the fact it's public. Putting down any concern about security like he does ("clueless about how the Internet works") is just oblivious to the very real danger he is exposing his sites and all their members to. Just "fear mongering", all right.

Definitely. He's very transparent. He's already got 3 other tracking services (4 total that I block now) for advertisers that all do the same thing, as well as whatever his host provides for internal use. So this is for bragging rights.

Yes, he seems to be the one without a clue regarding network security. Most of the IP addresses provided by tracking software should be to one's NAT, like your home or business router. Whether or not this is enough for a hacker depends on their hacking and your security, starting with your router and then your individual devices connected to that router.

He calls the revealed information as being just statistics, lol. Statistics do not show raw data on individuals like phone numbers! Statistics is not raw data before analysis.

I don't really know enough about the second to second updated state of affairs in the world of hacking and security and nor does most anyone who is honest about it. But let's keep in mind that this is an ongoing arms race where even top secure networks get hacked. And the entry point is your NAT as shown by Extreme Tracking. I could even imagine that some not so great hackers simply treat the IP's as a list for "cold calling", writing a script to automate "calling" everyone down the list until they find weak users who they can actaully hack. More advanced hackers... Oh, but that's fear mongering.

OMG WE ALL GOING TO DIE!! Sorry had to, but darkone's lack of empathy towards peoples privacy is kinda disturbing. I have done marketing as apart of my degree and really screen colour? That's what we would call a useless statistic and we wouldn't even bother recording, what is the purpose of him knowing some ones screen res or colour?

OMG WE ALL GOING TO DIE!! Sorry had to' date=' but darkone's lack of empathy towards peoples privacy is kinda disturbing. I have done marketing as apart of my degree and really screen colour? That's what we would call a useless statistic and we wouldn't even bother recording, what is the purpose of him knowing some ones screen res or colour?

[/quote']

Eventually, yes, everyone dies. Something will someday kill you, sooner or later. But don't let this fear of dying, well, bring it sooner.

Screen resolutions and knowing 24bit vs 32bit colors can be helpful for web design, btw.

What did you expect when you enter the dark realm where everybody has to castrate the own balls first not to undergo a cringeworthy survey, if ever, by insane inquisitors of the Dark Brotherhood that are doubtlessly harassed by naked grinning demons at the edge of their bed, night after night?

NB Keep in mind that the darkling isn't any longer in control of his empire. So whatever he has to babble, esp. in the name of his "family" (which gets buzzed by him just since three years), is good recitation in parrot fashion. Let's hear it for the parrot!

Guest GingerTom

Here's another thing that happens a lot:

http://tes.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=41773

I talked about this mod right here in this 'problem with Nexus' thread. 'Reclaiming Sancre Tor/Skingrad/West Roads Patch'. http://www.loverslab.com/showthread.php?tid=4168&page=24 starting with #237.

Is it the author or the site doing this most of the time? Most of these mods never come back online.

Dark One has deleted several responses to this post. He is adamant there is no risk to the security of the people who use the site.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/604889-why-are-our-details-being-shown-to-the-world/

Back to that specific thread, I'm reminded of how Idiocracy wasn't a movie based merely in fiction. Reading the defense, the overall argument seems to be along the lines that since internet life is inherently risky, all safety precautions ought to be ignored.

My other favorite: Let's make it all completely public (and untraceable) given that tracking software is used and info sold between companies (in a traceable fashion). And since companies could have leaks or employees selling to the black market, let's just make the line direct, cutting out the possible middlemen that might exist, so the nefarious have direct and anonymous access themselves.

Let's not forget the whole anti-"fearmongering"-mongering. Being simply alive is dangerous.

I forgot to take my idiot pills today.

But those who're disturbed by what's different to them

Who swim with the tide as is right and proper

Who see gays as criminals

Strangers as scum

Need someone to lead them astray!

And then there's no cavalry rescuing

No Zorro will care about

He'll piss a "Z" in the snow at most

And then for coolness passes out

Who cares? It's Crystal night!

Where ethics has to pay for everything

No matter if people are expelled or tormented

Where money hides behind the power

Where strength is everything in the world

Distorted by ducking and standing to attention

Where hymns are even played on a comb

Where in barbarous greed for profit

You can hear them yelling "Hosanna!" and "Crucify him!"

When they see any advantage therein

There's daily Crystal night! Nothing but Crystal night!

Evil thrives osterhase8nuj.gif when good people do nothing!

In case you don’t get it directly – over the years the popular mod platform of old has turned into a modern, sponsor-aided instrument of political low level indoctrination that aims at remote-controlled meerkats that are in line with the program. It is as if one has to sign in for the National Rifle Association first when using the newest IPhone almost everybody is interested in. That’s trick 666, a trick with self-finessing, a trick that finally calls for a high prize once the Muppet show is over - the crucifixion upside down! The lynch mob doesn’t like to get fooled unpunished…

Nah he mentions something about Darkone and leaving things in the past.

Edit: Figured it out something to do with him asking for donations on the nexus page.

What I find funny is some one goes oh it's greedy of him asking for money for the enjoyment of a game for a simple house mod and if that thread wasn't locked I would simply said a ban-able comment "Like Nexus?". Nexus just host the mods they don't create them I don't see why such a big problem asking for donations ONLY if it is purely OPTIONAL.

Nah he mentions something about Darkone and leaving things in the past.

Edit: Figured it out something to do with him asking for donations on the nexus page.

What I find funny is some one goes oh it's greedy of him asking for money for the enjoyment of a game for a simple house mod and if that thread wasn't locked I would simply said a ban-able comment "Like Nexus?". Nexus just host the mods they don't create them I don't see why such a big problem asking for donations ONLY if it is purely OPTIONAL.

the problem becomes if the donation is used as part of his mod (as he did by allowing contributors access to unique parts and giving them book space..I agree a rather pathetic arguement from a personal stand point but a very valid legal issue) he was violating the EULA of Skyrim and the CK..unfortunatly many sites will distance themselves from a modder who does the same (the reasons why WAC used its own forums and donations were to the team to keep their file sharing site up and you would get nothing for it but respect from the modders themselves)

Edit: Also http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=12553 (reuploaded on nexus for those who haven't seen)

So to clarify, did Shawk fix his mod to conform with Nexus policy, and remove the donators' book thing, along with the "if you donate you get this" crap? It was a bit bothersome, seeing that you got extra content from the mod if you gave the guy money.

This is probably one of the first good changes to Nexus policy that has happened. Charging for /anything/ in a mod isn't just morally grey; it's illegal in the worst sort of way. It isn't something understandable like ripping a texture from Crysis for a cool armor mod. It's giving people that donate to a mod's work recognition, essentially giving people a reason beyond doing it out of appreciation, and turning it into a subscription. If the mod had stayed as it was, I would have fully supported Bethesda if they'd taken the guy to court for offering "premium" features in the mod. Even if it's just little stuff like a unique book or a name in a big "book of supporters" it's still not right, because you're rewarding people that donate. The worst part was that he filled the hideout with not only the useful version changelog, but his damn book of supporters, so if you wanted to get rid of all of them without using the CK, you had to find the ones that were in your crafting room, random tables all over the hideout, etc. Unacceptable.

Steam Workshop agreement leaves open the possibility of selling mods and giving authors a share. So is that morally wrong?

Nexus, itself, makes money off just providing other people's mods.

I care less about what is written into law and more about my own personal morals (yes, even to my own detriment). I think the way Shawk went about asking for donations was more along the lines of tasteless (at least in my mouth), but I have much bigger issues with others who see it as morally wrong and "illegal in the worst sort of way". What's up with that? Seriously? He wasn't even scamming anyone.

There are more tasteful ways to try and get people to trade their money for your hard work, like just simply adding a note, "Hey, if you like my work, maybe contribute something." One of my favorite remixing DJ's on YouTube does this successfully to where donators can even make requests.