[WIP] Skyrim Slavers Guild

Regretfully' date=' this mod is now officially on hiatus.

For those who don't know, my paying job is in meltdown at the moment, and between the stress of that and my self-inflicted workload from the mod I've got to the point where it hurts to think about it.

So, development is suspended. Apologies all round.

I'm not ruling out resuming work when my brain cools down a bit, but for now I'm taking a break until further notice.

[/quote']

Sorry to hear that, but real life is more important than this ;)

Hope things will work out.

Regretfully' date=' this mod is now officially on hiatus.

For those who don't know, my paying job is in meltdown at the moment, and between the stress of that and my self-inflicted workload from the mod I've got to the point where it hurts to think about it.

So, development is suspended. Apologies all round.

I'm not ruling out resuming work when my brain cools down a bit, but for now I'm taking a break until further notice.

[/quote']

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......

This is preferable than you trying to stress over both though, as that would probably make neither doable.

I'm really sorry to hear that' date=' though I can't say I didn't half expect it. This mod was hugely ambitious and I know it's easy to burn out on something like that. I wish you all the best in your RL Doc, and thanks again for everything.

[/quote']

I think I'm going to play for a while, then maybe try messing around a little and try some rather less ambitious projects for a while. Something fun :)

I'm really sorry to hear that' date=' though I can't say I didn't half expect it. This mod was hugely ambitious and I know it's easy to burn out on something like that. I wish you all the best in your RL Doc, and thanks again for everything.

[/quote']

I think I'm going to play for a while, then maybe try messing around a little and try some rather less ambitious projects for a while. Something fun :)

Well if you need help, I may be in a place where I could help out with some smaller stuff, to learn.

Heeey, I don't believe that youre such an asshole, to close the mod, where so many people (and me too) made models, animations, art, etc. If it is hard for you to make it, why not find some more people to help? You can stay as a leader of the project, making plot, ideas, sometimes working directly, but most of the work can be done by someone who is not tired of SCK yet )

Though, I know, that making a whole new game on some engine is sometimes easier than even importing a model into Skyrim....

Heeey' date=' I don't believe that youre such an asshole, to close the mod, where so many people (and me too) made models, animations, art, etc. If it is hard for you to make it, why not find some more people to help? You can stay as a leader of the project, making plot, ideas, sometimes working directly, but most of the work can be done by someone who is not tired of SCK yet )

Though, I know, that making a whole new game on some engine is sometimes easier than even importing a model into Skyrim....

[/quote']

Asshole? I don't believe he's an asshole either. I don't really understand how you can bring that up.

As I understand it, this has been a private initiative from the start, with some help from other people, granted, but it probably wouldn't have been started if it wasn't for Doc.

I've mostly been a leecher. Haven't contributed much but ideas. But if I had, it would have been with the understanding that I was not guaranteed to get something for my contributions. Shit happens. Real life intrudes.

If you have contributed with models, animations and/or art, we all thank you. But there is more to a project like this. It needs someone to coordinate and drive it forward or nothing constructive will ever happen.

This is Doc's project. He's been very clear with that from the start. He's decided where to go with it and what to prioritize. He's been graceful enough to listen to ideas and sometimes be influenced by them. But if he needs time off, even to question if to go forward with this project at all, thats what he should do. Real life comes first.

If you want to use your models, animations and/or art and start a similar project, then that's your right. But calling Doc an asshole probably will not make him decide to pitch more into the project.

Let me tell you how I'd reason in his shoes. I wouldn't want anyone running my project in my absence. However, if I decided to quit completely, I would not mind someone else taking up the reins. Lets hope he feels the same way if that happens. And that someone is willing to do it.

In the mean time, lets all just give him his space.

Heeey' date=' I don't believe that youre such an asshole, to close the mod, where so many people (and me too) made models, animations, art, etc.

[/quote']

OK, you're upset. And I can understand why. That said, I haven't closed the mod. "Hiatus" means work is suspended. I'm taking a break. It's not over, just on pause.

I know it's a pain, but right now I need some time for real life. So I'm taking a holiday. Sorry.

If it is hard for you to make it' date=' why not find some more people to help? You can stay as a leader of the project, making plot, ideas, sometimes working directly, but most of the work can be done by someone who is not tired of SCK yet )

[/quote']

The problem isn't so much it being too hard as everything else going on in my life at the moment. My job isn't leaving me much energy for coding and my domestic situation isn't giving me the peace and quiet I need to concentrate.

If anyone wants to take a shot at coding up some of the quests based on what I have so far though, they should feel free. The last thing I want to do is waste the hard work of yourself and others.

Well, to put things on their places - I was not, by all means, trying to be rude, or call Doc an asshole. I'm sorry if it sounded rude.

What I wanted to say, is that a project leader should not just leave from a project, when it reached a certain stage. And I think this one already crossed the line, when it can be just closed, or suspended for a long time. God, it has 317 pages here, it had a huge wiki, and a big team of people, contributing their work and ideas for it.

I understand that it is hard to lead a project, believe me, I have a lot of experience in that (leading projects). But if you were ever serious about it, then nothing can really just stop you from completing it (well, with exceptions ofcourse).

I said already, that the best way to go - is find someone, who can continue with it, while you are out.

*Queen Bee gives Doc her patented Super Amazing Hug Of Wellwishingness*

Honey, you done good. Go rest and come back if/when you feel you're ready. If you do, do it because you love it and not because you feel chained to it. If not, then hand it over to someone you trust and don't give it another thought. Your well being is foremost in my mind, and I'll love you for being so amazing no matter what. Take your time, this community isn't going anywhere.

PS, if you feel like talking, about anything at all, give me a PM. <3

Just saw this Doc, I am sad to see you go on Hiatus but I get it. This is not an easy thing to manage. While I hope you come back to finish this I would not blame you if you did not. This is the kind of project that entire teams spend years on and your going at it alone with only a few backers sending you assets. Not that I mean to undervalue the great work the other team members here have done, but the brunt of the work has been on you man. I would recommend, if you start this up again, to organize a team with lots of communication and monthly goals and deadlines. Aka a modteam. I know that's what's been going on here to some extent but from what I have seen there does not seem to be much in the way of drawing out plans for benchmarks and deadlines, and for a project this big your prolly gonna want that. As this is a volunteer project people do in their freetime I would recommend soft deadlines like "get this done in the next few weeks" instead of "get this done by October 31st."

But things like that are a must for something this ambitious. I hope you get back into it, but this time get a crew. Get their phone numbers and emails and get in communication daily, have weekly IRC meetings discussing goals and plans for the week. I get that people here like to remain anonymous, but you need to find a few like sbseed who would be willing to really get down and gritty with this thing. :D

Just saw this Doc' date=' I am sad to see you go on Hiatus but I get it. This is not an easy thing to manage. While I hope you come back to finish this I would not blame you if you did not. This is the kind of project that entire teams spend years on and your going at it alone with only a few backers sending you assets. Not that I mean to undervalue the great work the other team members here have done, but the brunt of the work has been on you man. I would recommend, if you start this up again, to organize a team with lots of communication and monthly goals and deadlines. Aka a modteam. I know that's what's been going on here to some extent but from what I have seen there does not seem to be much in the way of drawing out plans for benchmarks and deadlines, and for a project this big your prolly gonna want that. As this is a volunteer project people do in their freetime I would recommend soft deadlines like "get this done in the next few weeks" instead of "get this done by October 31st."

But things like that are a must for something this ambitious. I hope you get back into it, but this time get a crew. Get their phone numbers and emails and get in communication daily, have weekly IRC meetings discussing goals and plans for the week. I get that people here like to remain anonymous, but you need to find a few like sbseed who would be willing to really get down and gritty with this thing. :D

[/quote']

I like that :)

Yeah, any project like this would usually mean a dev team. And with that comes project managing and meetings and planning... I can help out with project managing if Doc needs it, cause thats something I actually know.

the first thing to manage on a project like this is to get more scripters and organize the work being done by each so that there is no overlap or two people working on the same thing... making sure that extra scripting calling/checking other mods for certain asset usage and proper animations play out wont stop the mod from working without that mod. n stuff.

second would be to get some people working on the quest/storyline for the quests... making sure that you are keeping in mind eventual progression to specific areas in-game such as the city being worked on by you?!...

then working on all the dialogue for the VO people to work on for a given part of the questline etc....

making sure you have all the animations you will need including anything for stocks/pillories to be used throughout quest/missions for the slavers guild...

making sure that the mod is entirely self contained or as closely as possible to allow for any other given mod to be able to be used while using this one.

making sure that any other assets needed (meshes/textures/etc.) are being worked on and are properly called using scripts from sexrim resource mod file.(this will be the same for some of the animations probably as well)

still want the job?! :P

the first thing to manage on a project like this is to get more scripters and organize the work being done by each so that there is no overlap or two people working on the same thing... making sure that extra scripting calling/checking other mods for certain asset usage and proper animations play out wont stop the mod from working without that mod. n stuff.

second would be to get some people working on the quest/storyline for the quests... making sure that you are keeping in mind eventual progression to specific areas in-game such as the city being worked on by you?!...

then working on all the dialogue for the VO people to work on for a given part of the questline etc....

making sure you have all the animations you will need including anything for stocks/pillories to be used throughout quest/missions for the slavers guild...

making sure that the mod is entirely self contained or as closely as possible to allow for any other given mod to be able to be used while using this one.

making sure that any other assets needed (meshes/textures/etc.) are being worked on and are properly called using scripts from sexrim resource mod file.(this will be the same for some of the animations probably as well)

still want the job?! :P

Hehehe... well it seems like (maybe) I just know too little about this right now to even project manage ;)

Maybe I'll just delegate the whole thing to you? You seem to know what you're talking about ;)

Work is intense sometimes... Life is always too intense... modding on top of that can be burnout on the way. Taking a break and letting yourself cool down deal with life and work.. then come back later with a fresh mind and hopefully a fresh body... if not.. I can point out a graveyard where you can get one...

I said already' date=' that the best way to go - is find someone, who can continue with it, while you are out.

[/quote']

Well, I'm not opposed to the idea...

*Queen Bee gives Doc her patented Super Amazing Hug Of Wellwishingness*

/me hugs Bee back.

Thanks babe.

PS' date=' if you feel like talking, about anything at all, give me a PM. <3

[/quote']

I might take you up on that :)

I hope to see this moving again soon as possible real life first though. Oh the Irony though of doc's post being right after my last

That struck me too at the time :)

Just saw this Doc' date=' I am sad to see you go on Hiatus but I get it. This is not an easy thing to manage. While I hope you come back to finish this I would not blame you if you did not. This is the kind of project that entire teams spend years on

[/quote']

Yeah, that's been coming home to me, as well.

I would recommend' date=' if you start this up again, to organize a team with lots of communication and monthly goals and deadlines. Aka a modteam. I know that's what's been going on here to some extent but from what I have seen there does not seem to be much in the way of drawing out plans for benchmarks and deadlines, and for a project this big your prolly gonna want that. As this is a volunteer project people do in their freetime I would recommend soft deadlines like "get this done in the next few weeks" instead of "get this done by October 31st."

[/quote']

Sounds sensible. It's going to need a rather more detailed specification that the one on the wiki. So that should probably be my next job.

Speaking of the wiki, I see we're still offline. Has anyone heard anything from ancillus on IRC in the last two weeks or so? He's logged on, but doesn't respond and there's been no sign of serva, either. I'm getting concerned.

But things like that are a must for something this ambitious. I hope you get back into it' date=' but this time get a crew. Get their phone numbers and emails and get in communication daily, have weekly IRC meetings discussing goals and plans for the week. I get that people here like to remain anonymous, but you need to find a few like sbseed who would be willing to really get down and gritty with this thing. :D

[/quote']

Yeah. I've had some good help, but maybe we need to take this to the next level.

Yeah' date=' any project like this would usually mean a dev team. And with that comes project managing and meetings and planning... I can help out with project managing if Doc needs it, cause thats something I actually know.

[/quote']

Having a formal project manager would be good. It's not something I'm particularly good at, and I find that I can't manage and develop at the same time. It needs a different frame of mind of each activity, I find.

Yeah' date=' keeping track of who's doing what and when it's expected is one of the things I've been bad at, certainly.

And resource management is another. Windu's done an outstanding job in securing permissions to use resources from other mods, but I'm a bit disorganised with assets once I get them.

I can understand why the project was put on hold' date=' but why is the wiki down too?

[/quote']

No idea. I'm trying to get hold of our webmaster to find out.

Still on vacation! Get to work' date=' slave!

Now, in all seriousness. Enjoy the break, you've earned it, and I'm eger to see those... "lesser projects"

[/quote']

:D

Work is intense sometimes... Life is always too intense... modding on top of that can be burnout on the way. Taking a break and letting yourself cool down deal with life and work.. then come back later with a fresh mind and hopefully a fresh body

Yeah' date=' that's the thing I think. If I jump back in too quickly I'll just end up back here in a week or a month's time.

if not.. I can point out a graveyard where you can get one...