Can't Access HDT .DLL Files At All

everyone has gone off in the wrong direction I think, and there hasn't been a true troubleshooting Q&A.

Here's what I've pieced together as the problem that ZoD is having. Correct me if I'm wrong ok?

• DLs file cleanly (meaning no errors or apparent problems)
  • Unzips file cleanly
  • Places file cleanly
  • when skyrim runs, skse runs. but the plugin (dll) doesn't load as shown in the log file.
  • other plugins load cleanly.

my 1st question for you is this... and you're gonna think "what the fuck difference does that make, monsto?"

Is this your computer? Did you buy it with your money, or is it some sort of family computer that everyone uses or maybe a hand me down that someone else used?

Yes, it's a relevant question.

This is purely my computer. I got it back in 2011. It's a laptop. HP Pavilion, dv7-6135dx. Not a gaming PC, but has a dedicated graphics card and plays Skyrim just fine.

There are other issues with the .dll file as well. I can open up and poke around other .dll files with programs such as winrar and 7zip, but I always get "access denied" when trying to do the same with the HDT .dll. I cannot manually drag the HDT .dll file out of the .zip in to a folder, instead having to use the "extract" button in 7zip. I can install it with the Nexus Mod Manager, but I cannot uninstall it with NMM, and have to delete the .dll manually. I don't know why some methods work and all others don't. I cannot copy the .dll once it is on my hard drive, but I can move it around my folders. All-in-all, very weird behavior.

alright. you did reboot? right?

in process exxplorer . . . 

Find menu > Find Handle or DLL > type it in.

Any results?

Are you running enb? if so, what happens with the d3d9.dll?

have you tried windows safe mode?

"0 matching items."

I don't use an enb. Like I said, I have a pretty mid-range laptop so using an ENB would probably melt it.

If it's to the point where I have to boot up the computer in safe mode whenever I want to have waving hair, flowing clothes and jiggly breasts in skyrim, then maybe I shouldn't bother with the hassle. :/

nono I didn't mean playing the game in safe mode, I meant affecting the file in safe mode.

At this point I couldn't give much of a shit less about the game, i'm just trying to figure out what the hell is actually going on. 

that "0 matching items" means, without a doubt, that nothing is hooking the dll. IOW, it's not opened. As a matter of fact, if skyrim won't run it, that means skyrim isn't hooking it either... it's unable to. 

I suspect that there's a system policy set. 

New things:

What other SKSE plugins are you running? Any?

Try setting up enb. Just for testing. 

Shot in the dark here, but have you considered mapping your c:\games\ directory to another drive letter in order to trick UAC?

I see that you already have your games installed outside of C:\Program Files. That's good. I keep mine on an entirely separate drive from the boot drive, but I use a desktop, not a laptop.

It's totally possible to map a folder to a virtual drive letter. Whether or not it will dupe UAC in Windows 7, I don't know.

But it sounds like UAC is being a royal bitch to you for some reason.

I have a few other skse plugins. chargen, firstpersonplugin, and at one point I had a console search aid plugin as well, and all of them work fine. You can find a log for skse earlier in the thread.

Hm. I dunno, I'll look in to safe booting at some point soon. Can't at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Double clicking the HDT .dll pops up the message "access denied."

Double clicking any other .dll opens it with whatever I have as the default program to poke around them with, in this case 7zip.

All that did was prove that it has been blocked by something, be that windows or your antivirus...possibly both.

• 3 weeks later...

I might have found the issue. Maybe. Despite uninstalling normally and also using the removal tool, there are remnants of AVG Antivirus that I can't seem to get rid of. The "scan with AVG" option is still available when right-clicking files, and AVG still appears in the "uninstall a program" window, despite not having any functions at all. Maybe something about AVG's leftovers is dicking with HDT.

Er... In case I can't ever get this figured out, is there any way to customize HDT 7-22?

I might have found the issue. Maybe. Despite uninstalling normally and also using the removal tool, there are remnants of AVG Antivirus that I can't seem to get rid of. The "scan with AVG" option is still available when right-clicking files, and AVG still appears in the "uninstall a program" window, despite not having any functions at all. Maybe something about AVG's leftovers is dicking with HDT.

Er... In case I can't ever get this figured out, is there any way to customize HDT 7-22?

Boot into safe mode without networking and uninstall it from there.

You might also do a restore point back before you installed AVG.

You might also also dig around in AVG and find where you can add exceptions and add the HDTPE dll.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 6/20/2014 at 1:16 AM, zoneofdarkness said:

Tried it.

Good news, it was not your computer or antivirus. Bad news, I still have no idea on how to fix it. I feel like I am shooting a gun blindfolded since I just got Skyrim SE and have no background in modding. Yet, my antivirus is definitely set to not scan that file so it is not the antivirus. My computer is pretty new too so its not your computer either. Anyway, if you found the solution (if you still play it) then tell me please.